Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Best Overall Game of 2008 - Winner

Comments

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

The whole Mc Donalds Argument is dumb because people eat at Mc Donalds for convenience but you don't go out of your way to play a mmorpg for convenience.....

People most ABSOLUTELY play WoW for convenience. Myself included.

If you don't have a nice computer, WoW is more convenient than upgrading.

If you don't want the hassle of endless bugs, WoW is more convenient.

If you want a lexicon of knowledge about every single aspect of your game with a simple google search, wow is more convenient.

If you want to find a guild that caters to your individual preferences (roleplay, same time zone, casual, hardcore) WoW's healthy population makes it the most convenient.

Almost everything about WoW's success is about the convenience it brings. The debate is whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing.

WoW is absolutely McDonald's. And I tell you what, I stop by McDonald's a lot more than the Russian Tea Room.

But sorry for going off topic. Grats to the Russian Tea Room, well deserved this year!

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531
    Originally posted by Zorgo

The whole Mc Donalds Argument is dumb because people eat at Mc Donalds for convenience but you don't go out of your way to play a mmorpg for convenience.....

If you want a lexicon of knowledge about every single aspect of your game with a simple google search, wow is more convenient.

If you want to find a guild that caters to your individual preferences (roleplay, same time zone, casual, hardcore) WoW's healthy population makes it the most convenient.

Almost everything about WoW's success is about the convenience it brings. The debate is whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing.

WoW is absolutely McDonald's. And I tell you what, I stop by McDonald's a lot more than the Russian Tea Room.

But sorry for going off topic. Grats to the Russian Tea Room, well deserved this year!

None of that has anything to do with convenience but just points that make a good mmorpg..........

You don't go for a lunch break off work and go "I need to play a mmorpg" no you're hungry and want to eat and Mc donalds is easy and there and doesn't taste that bad. It isn't a nice Thai meal or anything posh but it's fast food that tastes ok so you go there.

You play games to play a GOOD game and WoW is a GOOD game and thats why people play it. You don't go "well this game is shit but because it is easy I'll play it" no you spend your tome playing a game that is good, that you like.

That is why you the Mc Donalds and games argument is dumb

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

None of that has anything to do with convenience but just points that make a good mmorpg..........

You don't go for a lunch break off work and go "I need to play a mmorpg" no you're hungry and want to eat and Mc donalds is easy and there and doesn't taste that bad. It isn't a nice Thai meal or anything posh but it's fast food that tastes ok so you go there.

You play games to play a GOOD game and WoW is a GOOD game and thats why people play it. You don't go "well this game is shit but because it is easy I'll play it" no you spend your tome playing a game that is good, that you like.

I agree.  I regard anyone who makes the WoW=MacDonald's argument as partially retarded and therefore not worth listening to.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• SinentSinent Member Posts: 137

wow you guys are being harsh lo i see his mcdonaalds analagy, in the sense that WOw= mc because basically it caters to a whole hella lot more people then the sushi bar down the road sushi= lotro, many other great deep indepth games with a true story arc.

Some lead and some follow I prefer to stand beside!

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

Grats Turbine for another good win

as far as wy they won.  I know a few people here who dont play the game (but have played it at least once in the past) who, when faced with this option voted by weighing up whether game A was better than game B.  They did not just vote for the MMO that they currently play.  I have a feeling this is why Lotro edged out EvE and WoW as i know plenty of people who accept that it is a good MMO but do not actively play it.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• iris_002iris_002 Member Posts: 5

Grats Turbine, lotro, well deserved

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Ginaz

I agree.  I regard anyone who makes the WoW=MacDonald's argument as partially retarded and therefore not worth listening to.

Can you guys actually read? Or comprehend what you are reading? My God, you are so angry you don't know when someone is on your side or not. Now cut this off topic junk out, it isn't always about WoW.

• Ascension08Ascension08 Member Posts: 1,980

Hehe looks like it just beat out WoW, however, this award is well deserved. While the game itself may not be balanced between PvE and PvP, the PvE and lore being much better, I think Turbine is a solid, good company and they made an absolutely beautiful world, one that I actually think looks better than AoC (I always thought the AoC trees were ugly and the character models looked like plastic action figures. While LotRO's character models need some improvement as well, they at least seem a bit more real, especially with the facial expressions. More like play-doh than plastic if you will!)

Good job LotRO.

--------------------------------------
    A human and an Elf get captured by Skaven. The rat-men are getting ready to shoot the first hostage with Dwarf-made guns when he yells, "Earthquake!" The naturally nervous Skaven run and hide from the imaginary threat. He escapes. The Skaven regroup and bring out the Elf. Being very smart, the Elf has figured out what to do. When the Skaven get ready to shoot, the Elf, in order to scare them, yells, "Fire!"

Order of the White Border.

• peter0101NYpeter0101NY Member Posts: 5

bravo! the movie is great. the game world is also fantastic! i look forward to its new improvement.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by LordAdder

Personally I think WoW is the better overall game because it does everything so well where as Lotro has crap combat, player models and PvP which are main points of an mmorpg.

WoW does everything so well and PvP is a main point of an MMO?! What universe are you from?

Apparently a larger percentage disagrees with you than agrees,

And what universe are you from?  A much, much larger percentage agrees that WoW is a better game, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 11 million to 250k.  Online polls like this are pointless.  They just bring out people who are motivated to vote for this type of stuff anyway.  All anyone has to do is look at the NHL all star vote to know what a complete joke online polls are.  So congrats to the people who are LOTRO fans and crowing about it, thinking this means anything.  Once again, it just goes to show that sites like this aren't representative of the average mmo player.

All that aside, LOTRO is still a very good game with a good developer behind it that more often then not gives its players good value for their money.

BTW, I didn't see swg in the list at all.

That.  The shills stuff the ballots while gamers vote with their wallets.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• NetbuddyNetbuddy Member Posts: 17

Im gonna be really cheap and ask if a Mines of Moria trial is planned? wanna check out the new classes

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Can you guys actually read? Or comprehend what you are reading? My God, you are so angry you don't know when someone is on your side or not. Now cut this off topic junk out, it isn't always about WoW.

I'm not angry, just tired of people comparing WoW to MacDonald's, in any way.  Its getting old and tired.  People find to need a new way to make WoW comparisons.  Be original.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• OakdragonOakdragon Member Posts: 26

Simple solution rathar than argue is to play the game you like.

And then vote for the game you like next year.

To bad all those "11 million" WoW players missed the boat on voting, but then again maybe MMORPG.com is banned in china or doesnt translate well into chinese (shrug).

Now move along and accept that this game was voted as such, defeat is a tough dish to swallow.

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

I HATE WOW, yeah, so lets vote for the best boring  lifeless copy cat clone of it.

Lifeless copy cat clone... are you talking about WoW? If anything Lotro copies Asheron's Call 2 in everything from UI, throught world design, engine, combat, thousands of quests, tons of solo content, no death penalty,.... And If I recall it right AC2 was way before WoW was released. If your analogy is right then WoW is actually that lifeless copy cat clone of AC2.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I'm not angry, just tired of people comparing WoW to MacDonald's, in any way.  Its getting old and tired.  People find to need a new way to make WoW comparisons.  Be original.

Actually I'd never heard the comparison, lol it is a good one :)

• rturjarturja Member Posts: 199

*lol* WoW is just Britney Spears, another "It's all done before and at least as well" game from Blizzard, but I reckon that is just what their fanboys want. It is the King of MMOs in the la-la-land where Michael Jackson is the prince of pop.

Looks like players of some other titles can take the result of voting far better than WoW fans *tips hat off in the general direction of EVE*.

Sour grapes for sore losers

Playing: AC2
    Played: UO, DaoC, Horizons, Ryzom, WAR, LotRO, Eve, VG...

Originally posted by Steelrose

I HATE WOW, yeah, so lets vote for the best boring  lifeless copy cat clone of it.

Lifeless copy cat clone... are you talking about WoW? If anything Lotro copies Asheron's Call 2 in everything from UI, throught world design, engine, combat, thousands of quests, tons of solo content, no death penalty,.... And If I recall it right AC2 was way before WoW was released. If your analogy is right then WoW is actually that lifeless copy cat clone of AC2.

Good God.

Elvis and The Beatles were not the first ones either, but they were the first to put out the millions. They were the Kings in their genre (despite of Bill Haley and dozens of others).

You are speaking of the king of MMORPG's. I say that Zork started it all.

And LotrO is indeed a boring lifeless copy cat of that King because it was published 3 years later without any added value. 

No that is WoW. WoW had no additional or original features. If you can name me one, I can change my mind. Because everything from battlegrounds, leveling solo content, no death penalties, combat, crafting.. was done in AC2 the same way.

WoW just brought 40 mil$ into marketing before release which was more than the whole Lotro development. That's why Lotro initially sold maybe 400 copies and WoW like 2 milion (during first 3 months). Even AoC, WAR spent much more on marketing and ad than Lotro -> therefore their sales numbers went up to 1 mil cca.

That's the power of marketing and adv, if you dont believe in it, you're dumb no offense. Not every company has so much money to spend on adv like Blizzard. Turbine is much smaller company.

Good God.

Elvis and The Beatles were not the first ones either, but they were the first to put out the millions. They were the Kings in their genre (despite of Bill Haley and dozens of others).

You are speaking of the king of MMORPG's. I say that Zork started it all.

And LotrO is indeed a boring lifeless copy cat of that King because it was published 3 years later without any added value. 

No that is WoW. WoW had no additional or original features. If you can name me one, I can change my mind. Because everything from battlegrounds, leveling solo content, no death penalties, combat, crafting.. was done in AC2 the same way.

WoW just brought 40 mil$ into marketing before release which was more than the whole Lotro development. That's why Lotro initially sold maybe 400 copies and WoW like 2 milion (during first 3 months). Even AoC, WAR spent much more on marketing and ad than Lotro -> therefore their sales numbers went up to 1 mil cca.

That's the power of marketing and adv, if you dont believe in it, you're dumb no offense. Not every company has so much money to spend on adv like Blizzard. Turbine is much smaller company.

The King of MMORPG is Wow - like it or not. Because of the sheer PAYED subscription number. Just like Elvis or the Beatles were the first to hit the millions in rock and roll and British pop music.

LotrO came out 3 years AFTER the King was launched and brought NOTHING new.

Where are the flying mounts in LotrO,

Where are the underwater worlds?

Where are the Siege battles, where are the Catapults and destructable Keeps.

Where is the constant phasing and changing worlds depending on the quest you do in Lotro.

NADA. Nothing nowhere to be found. Not even fishing was in it before this year.

600 people on a world wide website that voted with alt accounts just made mmorpg.com looks like a fool these days.

Heh mate, again no offense. But you're fanatically insane :) Just as you named these things, I could name you 10 other things Lotro has and WoW doesn't. Which actually proves these games are not that similiar.

If you say it's a king of MMO, then I wonder why are other wow fanboys so pissed when WoW is being called McDonald or Britney (King of fast foods, king of popmusic,...) If the term king is only referred to.. how many people are subscribed to it, then indeed you can't avoid being compared to everything else in the world which is being the most popular in its genre.

• OakdragonOakdragon Member Posts: 26

The King of MMORPG is Wow - like it or not. Because of the sheer PAYED subscription number. Just like Elvis or the Beatles were the first to hit the millions in rock and roll and British pop music.
    Where is the constant phasing and changing worlds depending on the quest you do in Lotro.
    600 people on a world wide website that voted with alt accounts just made mmorpg.com looks like a fool these days.

Umm if you really believe that all of those were originally by Blizzard, I have a bridge in New Mexico to sell you, and it takes you to a wonderful fairy land by the sea.

• Dr.RockDr.Rock Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Oakdragon

Umm if you really believe that all of those were originally by Blizzard, I have a bridge in New Mexico to sell you, and it takes you to a wonderful fairy land by the sea.

I think you will find that is just a copy of a WoW bridge, fairy land and sea. In fact nothing existed before WoW!

But seriously I tried both and neither game was to my tastes, but it was pretty obvious Lotro was different and IMO the better MMO, even if I could see why WoW is so popular. Similar to how I can see how a soap opera gets large audiences, but I still find them painful to watch.

• JowenJowen Member Posts: 326

I would like to thank this thread for showing what kind mentality people supporting different games possess.

As such I can conclude, that if I ever wanted to play a fantasy MMO it should be LotR and stay far far away from WoW.

Maybe the bitterness comes from too much raiding to get better gear to able to raid to get better gear to be able to raid to get better gear to be able to raid to get better gear ad nauseam.

• ZarraaZarraa Member Posts: 481

And anyone who can't see the obvious similarities between McDonalds popularity & WOW has been sniffing paint.

The analogy (and it's a correct one) is a valid counter point for the 11 million people arguement. I played WOW for an hour before going to bed because It was simple, no fuss, convienant and fun. In conclusion...if you don't want to hear the McDonalds analogy then stop tossing out the 11 million subscribers line like that's proof positive of anything.

More than 11 million people smoke cigarettes but that doesn't mean they rock...lol

Anyway grats to LOTRO while not my cup of tea it's an extremely well made title.

Dutchess Zarraa Voltayre
    Reborn/Zero Sum/Ancient Legacy/Jagged Legion/Feared/Nuke & Pave.

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381

Zorn,

It really isn't dumb ( I won't use your R word ) to compare WoW to McDonalds. And it really isn't an insult either if you look at it from a marketing stand point.

WoW and McD's were made to be enjoyed by the "masses". Almost anyone can afford McD's food and almost anyone can play WoW on their computers with it's gentle PC requirements. I would guess that 90% of America could play WoW -because most ppl have a PC bought in the last 7 years. And 90% of America can afford to eat at McDonald's also.

But look at all the other games on that list and think of all the people in your family and in your neighborhood. Maybe 5% or 10% of those people have machines even CAPABLE of meeting the sys requirements for LoTRO and AoC and War and VG. And less than 5%of the people  have machines that can play those games without hellish lag LOL!

WoW is like McDonalds because it's available to 90% of the people. Doesn't mean it's yucky like McD's food- just that it's DO-ABLE by the masses. It's a good thing. MMO's should be able to be enjoyed by the masses and Blizzard opened the door for them.

God, I hate how every good thread about any game gets derailed into a WoW thread LOL!

Anyways, Congrats to Turbine! Very much deserved win!  Excellent game and grats on winning "Game of the Year" last year on many sites and Game of the Year on this site!!!

• KhafarKhafar Member Posts: 1

Congratulations, Turbine! Beating out a game with an order of magnitude more players in just NA and EU shows just how passionate LOTRO's players are about the game - and it's a great game.

No other MMO I've ever played has had a polished, stable launch and then delivered so much after the game released... two major regions (Evendim, Forochel) and two smaller ones (High Pass/Goblin Town, Tal Bruinen). Hundreds of new quests, deeds, etc. Housing. PvP raids. PvE raid. New instances. New creatures. More storage. New horses. Lots of soloable content. DX10 client. All before Mines of Moria even arrived.

You've listened to your players, making many changes we've asked for. And you've managed to attract a more mature player community than I've seen in an MMO before... a pleasant surprise. Grats again on your wins this year!

Khafar

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

Perhaps a better analogy than McDonalds would be something like "Star Wars: Episode 1".  Huge buget.  Huge special effects.  Huge brand name recognition.  When it came out, just about everyone went to see it.  A lot of people went because their friends were going.  A good number really enjoyed it.  It was the top-grossing film that year (in other words, highest ticket sales), and is still one of the top 6 of all time.

Was it the best movie of 1999?  Not by a long shot.  Although some will still argue otherwise.

WoW is very similar to Episode 1.  It has a bunch of things going for it and does a great job of marketing to the masses.  I also know a number of people who play it and won't look at anything else simply because that's what their friends are playing.  The upshot is that it has the largest subscriber base and is the most successful MMO in the industry.  We owe a lot to WoW for the way it has energized the genre.  (And it deserves a kick in the nubs for some of the other things it has done to the genre.)

But as with Episode 1, that huge amount of success doesn't necessarily make it the best game out there.

Personally, when I play LotRO I can't help but feel the love that went into the game.  The developers clearly have a passion for the lore, and this shows up in every single thing you see or do in the game.  When I play WoW, I often feel like the developers were simply out to package whatever would appeal to the largest number of people - which to a great extent means a dumbed down MMO.  I just don't sense the same passion that LotRO's dev team shows.  Heck, look at how often Blizzard has done a hack job on their own lore just so that they could broaden market appeal a little bit.  I can't help but think of that pre-movie blurb that some theaters are showing right now where a big wig producer decides that the hedge hog needs pants in order to broaden the target audience and ends up ruining the movie.  :)