Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Best Overall Game of 2008 - Winner

Comments

• EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545
    Originally posted by LordAdder

Gratz Turbine!  Well deserved. 
    Originally posted by openedge1

I would most definitely disagree with this win. But, MMORPG.com has really been weighted towards this game anyways.
    I think the heavier European influence of this site and forums helps Turbine win this match, due to the game being liked more in EU than the US.
    Critics and the current player base love the game, but I can also read about so many dislikes and the sales of the game has not been sky high either.
    This is not to say the game is not stable and well run, and I guess Turbine wins for that. But, for the game itself, it is not that good to be THE game of the year.
    Just felt that differences are felt by many people, and along with the graces and praise of this title, we should also note the downsides...and LOTRO has quite a few in my opinion.
    Anyways, Grats Turbine.

LIKED more in the EU than in the US?!  Now where exactly have those statistics been published, or is this just your own perception? Geesh.

lol...  Pay him no mind, he's just bitter (and i love it).

The people have spoken.  Congratulations Turbine!

• LordAdderLordAdder Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Personally I think WoW is the better overall game because it does everything so well where as Lotro has crap combat, player models and PvP which are main points of an mmorpg.

WoW does everything so well and PvP is a main point of an MMO?! What universe are you from?

Apparently a larger percentage disagrees with you than agrees, especially since Turbine and LOTRO has won three of the seven categories this year, two of them by landslides. No matter how you slice-&-dice it and despite the fact that LOTRO has a few shortcomings (as does any and every MMO in existence), LOTRO is in fact a great game and the Turbine LOTRO team has done an outstanding job considering that it managed to knock the behemoth down to size.

~ Adder ~
    Quick, Silent, Deadly

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

WoW does everything so well and PvP is a main point of an MMO?! What universe are you from?
    Apparently a larger percentage disagrees with you than agrees, especially since Turbine and LOTRO has won three of the seven categories this year, two of them by landslides. No matter how you slice-&-dice it and despite the fact that LOTRO has a few shortcomings (as does any and every MMO in existence), LOTRO is in fact a great game and the Turbine LOTRO team has done an outstanding job considering that it managed to knock the behemoth down to size.

Has to do with the fact that most of the WoW players are playing, moreso than voting...

Hard to believe that a game with 11 million players could be outdone by a game with 250k players...

I think it has to do with the fact that the WoW forums never advertise these polls (like the Voodoo Extreme Game of the year award)...thus, they are not sending their players here or there to vote.

I don't play either game, but I still chose WoW, as it really has the genre down pat, and knows what it's player base likes.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

Has to do with the fact that most of the WoW players are playing, moreso than voting...

Hard to believe that a game with 11 million players could be outdone by a game with 250k players...

I think it has to do with the fact that the WoW forums never advertise these polls (like the Voodoo Extreme Game of the year award)...thus, they are not sending their players here or there to vote.

I don't play either game, but I still chose WoW, as it really has the genre down pat, and knows what it's player base likes.

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other restaurant in the world,  but they aren't winning many "worlds best burger" polls now are they.  ;)

I played LOTRO to 50, and enjoyed it at the time.  I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best MMO of the year, but it is a pretty decent game.  IMO, far better than WoW.  If it had any kind of compelling endgame or real PvP, I'd probably still be playing it.

• rturjarturja Member Posts: 199

When enthusiasts vote the results can be very different from pure consumers voting. I love music, but wouldn't call Britney Spears an artist in any shape or form, despite of record sales either.

Congrats to Turbine and LotRO team for fair and deserved win!

Playing: AC2
    Played: UO, DaoC, Horizons, Ryzom, WAR, LotRO, Eve, VG...

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

I think it has more to do that the majority of WoW players are not mmo fans, they just hopped on the WoW bandwagon.  They don't frequent any mmo site other than worldofwarcraft.com to troll their very own forums.

People who are members here are actual mmo fans.  They are informed and play (or try) many different mmos.

There's a HUGE difference, IMO, between and mmo player and a WoW player.

• VormirVormir Member UncommonPosts: 135

Grats to Turbine and Lotro.

I've been playing this game since release and I've always thought it was under rated.

Although I'm feeling frustrated because of the recent Guardian porblem, I find it a very pleasent game to play with a 5 star community.

If you didn't try it, you should give it a go.

And people comparing it to WOW? Well I think that can't be helped, but for a game that is just a 1,5 year old with much of content stil to come, I think it's fair to say that this award is just the beggining.

Cheers,

V

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Stradden

Originally posted by ironraptor

There is an error Turbine Inc. is a Massachusetts-based  MMO company not a "Virginia-based MMO company ".

*facepalm* you're right. I'm fixing that now. Damn my scattered brain.

Ahhh... It just means you're human, and not "above" making an error, or acknowledging it (there are people on these forums who could learn from that).

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

Lets not forget the big loser of the year - Funcom and AoC...more proof of just what a bad idea giving them Hyboria was....

The top games show the importance of stability, playability and functionality over hype and promised innovation really.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531
    Originally posted by Salvatoris

McDonald's sells more burgers than any other restaurant in the world,  but they aren't winning many "worlds best burger" polls now are they.  ;)

I played LOTRO to 50, and enjoyed it at the time.  I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best MMO of the year, but it is a pretty decent game.  IMO, far better than WoW.  If it had any kind of compelling endgame or real PvP, I'd probably still be playing it.

The whole Mc Donalds Argument is dumb because people eat at Mc Donalds for convenience but you don't go out of your way to play a mmorpg for convenience.....

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543

I would most definitely disagree with this win. But, MMORPG.com has really been weighted towards this game anyways.
    I think the heavier European influence of this site and forums helps Turbine win this match, due to the game being liked more in EU than the US.
    Critics and the current player base love the game, but I can also read about so many dislikes and the sales of the game has not been sky high either.
    This is not to say the game is not stable and well run, and I guess Turbine wins for that. But, for the game itself, it is not that good to be THE game of the year.
    Just felt that differences are felt by many people, and along with the graces and praise of this title, we should also note the downsides...and LOTRO has quite a few in my opinion.
    Anyways, Grats Turbine.

There are more USA LOTRO players on these forums than EU players, so your statement makes no sense too me

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Thradar

I think it has more to do that the majority of WoW players are not mmo fans, they just hopped on the WoW bandwagon.  They don't frequent any mmo site other than worldofwarcraft.com to troll their very own forums.

People who are members here are actual mmo fans.  They are informed and play (or try) many different mmos.

There's a HUGE difference, IMO, between and mmo player and a WoW player.

Agreed. So many people I've spoken to, heard and read posts by didn't know what a MMORPG was, or that WoW even was a MMORPG... they figured it was just a new Warcraft game with more people. This is also a hint as to why so many believe (and some still do) that somehow WoW was the first to do everything that's been commonplace in MMOs for years.

Personally, I think any MMO Blizzard put out would have likely had similar results... be it for Diablo, Starcraft, etc. Each one of those games has its own large built-in fan-base, not to mention those who would buy and play anything Blizzard put out.

And of course there's the "phenomenon effect"; people see or hear about some big thing going on and feel like they have to be part of it (see: Cabbage Patch Dolls, Tickle Me Elmo.. People who weren't even gamers racing out to buy PS3's just to brag that they have one, etc).

Also, because more people play a game doesn't mean they automatically agree it's "better". I know plenty of people who play WoW only because their friends play it. I know other WoW players who've said they think that LoTRO is a better game overall; but since all their friends are playing WoW that's where they are.

Point is, you can't narrow it down to "A has more players than B, therefor A should automatically win". There are many more factors that play into it.

Besides all that, it's not like the results are staggeringly different.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• qdogthepimpqdogthepimp Member Posts: 42

Congratulations Turbine, With LotRO great game and definatly well deserved

• OweynOweyn Member Posts: 7

Once again a hearty congratulations to LOTRO and Turbine. I've enjoyed this game since I've first logged in. Also thank-you to the Tolkien Estate for lending the licence. If this game did not exist, I would never have discovered the joy of MMO's!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

As an EVE player, all I can say is... "we wuz robbed" 

But seriously, gratz to Turbine/LotRO for a job well done, and winning many awards this year.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Very very happy with this.

UO>LOTRO>WoW>SWG>Rest

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Well done Turbine! 

I am currently playing WOW but I do have an active LOTRO subscription.  It's a great game and the dev team works very hard to give players new, free content regularly.  This is how it should be.  I'd be playing now but I'm just bored with it at the moment.  My next choice is WOW , which I'm having a great time in at the moment.  When that changes I suspect I wll go back to LOTRO, or try one of the 2009 releases.

• kkara654kkara654 Member UncommonPosts: 1

Grats, Turbine

• hooptyhoopty Member UncommonPosts: 788

Gratz! LOTR/Turbine

Well deserved and a good game to have!Keep up the great work!

Some people rob you at gun point..Others will rob you at "Ball Point Pen"

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

Glad to see this won instead of WoW.

• lildog21lildog21 Member Posts: 1

Congrats to everyone at turbine!

As a LotRO player and a LotR fan, i really enjoy the game (this is also my first major MMORPG). One of the things that never ceases to amaze me about this game (besides the some of the storylines) is the detailthat is put into this game. Sometimes I just stop to look at the landscape.

As for gameplay, yes i admit the PvP could be better, but i personally am more interested in the storylines anyway. In my view, the game can only get better and better.

LOTRO
    Thomashunter 47 captain

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

I played LotRO at launch and through the release of player housing.  Then I took a break for a while to check out stuff like Age of Conan, Warhammer, and a couple others.  I bought both Mines of Moria and WotLK, but it's proving to be LotRO that I'm actually playing out of the two games.

I'd forgotten just how gorgeous LotRO is.  The landscapes are lush and diverse, while at the same time blending together quite naturally.  Trees move in the breeze.  Grass ripples by moonlight.  There's just the right amount of bump mapping, reflections and atmospheric effects.  It really feels like Middle Earth.  (By the way, I can't understand the complaint about character models that some people make.  The character models are far better than WoW's and most other games.  Are you sure you're not confusing the models with the art direction for the clothing styles?  In that case, yes -- some of the clothing looks pretty ghastly.) 

The world also feels much more believable than other games.  Like I mentioned, the landscapes blend smoothly between one another.  Then you also have intelligent placement of mob types, wandering NPC, and a lot of other life.  More than you find with WoW, and certainly more than something like Warhammer.

I do understand how this game isn't everyone's cup of tea.  Yes, it lacks any real PvP.  To me that's a good thing, since the grief-happy kiddies play elsewhere and LotRO gets a more mature player base out of the deal.  But beyond that, the game is very much about exploring and enjoying one's time in Middle Earth.  It's not about rushing to the end game.  In that respect, it's perhaps the most sandbox-like out of the so-called "theme park" MMO's.  It's also extremely hard to solo the higher you get in level.

Anyway, congrats to Turbine for this win!  I hope -- and have little doubt -- that 2009 will prove to be every bit as successful.  There is so much more of Middle Earth yet to be revealed!

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Grats Turbine and LotRO...

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by LordAdder

Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Personally I think WoW is the better overall game because it does everything so well where as Lotro has crap combat, player models and PvP which are main points of an mmorpg.

Apparently a larger percentage disagrees with you than agrees,

And what universe are you from?  A much, much larger percentage agrees that WoW is a better game, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 11 million to 250k.  Online polls like this are pointless.  They just bring out people who are motivated to vote for this type of stuff anyway.  All anyone has to do is look at the NHL all star vote to know what a complete joke online polls are.  So congrats to the people who are LOTRO fans and crowing about it, thinking this means anything.  Once again, it just goes to show that sites like this aren't representative of the average mmo player.

All that aside, LOTRO is still a very good game with a good developer behind it that more often then not gives its players good value for their money.

BTW, I didn't see swg in the list at all.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• silkakcsilkakc Member UncommonPosts: 381

Congratulations LoTRO!!  Very well deserved win!