Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW Galaxies?

navajinavaji Member UncommonPosts: 22

I gave up on SWG when they started messing around with the combat patch...however there was a 2 year period right from release that te game was exceptional.

So what I want to know is everyone looking forward to this SW MMO because SWG went to crap or did everyone think SWG was crap at launch? I feel that SWG had an absolute amazing look and feel, until they started trying dumb it down.

I will most likely play this game, but it makes me feel so dirty to think that instead of getting SOE to fix the SWG game to it original state, that everyone feels its time to make another SW MMO.

Please inlighten me as to why most folks don't even make note that SWG every was made...

Comments

• hanshotfirsthanshotfirst Member UncommonPosts: 712

SWG was crap at launch. The only reason I stuck around as long as I did is in no small part thanks to Thunderheart stringing me along from month to month on the promise that the next miracle patch would fix everything. It never did.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I enjoyed SWG at launch. I liked the fact that it took into account many non-combat oriented aspects of living in the SW universe into significant account and allowed players a chance to play something outside of percieved "iconic" or "heroic" roles. I spent the vast majority of my time as a Doctor, healing folks that came into the hospitals of their would damage as well as gathering the best stat resources to make stimpaks, wound packs and other pharmaceuticals to sell in our pa mall and in the 3 outposts on various planets we had.

Was a good feeling knowing I was helping other folks enjoy the game the way they wanted (pvp or pve combat) in a manner that was very satisfying for me as well.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

I played SWG from launch...it had its moments but for the most part it was buggy and broken.

The only reason I stayed around for the year that I did was beacuse I had an awesome guild that owned dozens of bases on Tatooine (Sector Ten)   The last straw was after they implimented Jedi player bounties...the patch that was supposed to impliment them was completely broken, and the subsequent patch to fix them didn't do a damn thing to help.

People look at pre CU SWG with rose colored glases because it's Star Wars, not because it was actually a good game...A good game doesn't provide players with mission terminals leading them to "creature lairs" that are sometimes there, sometimes 50000 feet in the air, and sometimes invisiable...and that was all of the questing that the game provided, nothing else.

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• icyredicyred Member Posts: 138

SWG was and still is a great game... probablem with ppl is they dont like change.... i liked the fact that after EVERYONE in the game became a jedi... it was boring cause everyone was the same,..... then they screwed the jedi... which MADE ppl play other jobs like smugglers ect.... and that changed the game... yes ppl were pissed but i think it even the game out... more jobs instead of everyone being the same lol.. i hated that after a while but  it got ppl too try jedi... like it... and play it... then they were forced too play other jobs... which widened the game... and once in a while they throw new updates that piss some players but those ppl need too learn too take change and use it for them and not against them. but some ppl cant.... and the problem that everyone reads is because thats what forums are.... ppl that complain... ppl dont praise alot here... 1 out of maybe 200 threads are good lol.... the rest are ppl complaining lol...

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

SWG was awful at launch. Really, but that did not keep people from loving it. And for good reasons. Even though the game was horrible (by default) it featured alot that at least I never could have guessed a game could offer.

It was unique, deep and gave the whole "roleplaying" aspect a new fresh look.

Today, post NGE, I pity anyone who says anything positive about the product. It no longer deserves to be called SWG. It's name, is NGE.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• MasterCrysisMasterCrysis Member Posts: 94

1 of the best MMO's ever. it was buggy as all heck at launch, but all the new concepts the game brought was astonishing.

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

SWG was crap, but it was the crap of a very rich man who ate diamonds, so a lot of people messed with his crap and occasionally found something awesome.

Awesome things that need to be implemented into other MMORPGS:

*Player cities

*Crafting based economy

*Massive crafting experimentation/resource qualities

*Skill Point system that is refundable (other than talents, which are boring to me)

Originally posted by VGTheory

*Player cities
    *Crafting based economy
    *Skill Point system that is refundable (other than talents, which are boring to me) 

With the possible exception of a skill point system (one that's thoroughly balanced, tested, and exploit free — unlike SWG), I couldn't disagree more.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by hanshotfirst

*Player cities
    *Crafting based economy

With the possible exception of a skill point system (one that's thoroughly balanced, tested, and exploit free — unlike SWG), I couldn't disagree more.

LOL come on. What could you possibly dislike about player cities, great crafting, and a skill based system? Do you simply dislike it because SWG had it, and you feel the need to dislike everything SWG? Or if you truly dislike them, can't you go play one of the other 1000 games that don't have it and quit asking for more of the same?

I agree VGtheory. The player housing and cities were one of my favorite features in SWG, as it really made you feel like you were living in the Star Wars Universe. Crafting based economy is a must as I am tired to death of loot grinds. And obviously the SWG skill system was one of the best, and is infinitely better than any class system.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• VGTheoryVGTheory Member Posts: 110

The Skill Point system was somewhat limiting, but I feel that that helped new players overcome the daunting task of levelling.  Let's face it, it was grind-grind-grind, then grind some more and you had to grind every time you wanted to change your skills.  Someone completely changing paths was no different than a new player selecting their path for the first time, with the exception of having more money.

I understand how some people feel that their skills in game should never decrease so they can increase other skills.  To those people, I point out the host of games that are like that: WOW, Everquest, FFXI, Eve...

I want a system where I can customize and tweak my skills, and nobody is so uber they are unstoppable (SWG had it's balance issues and jedi didn't help). 

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Much of SWG was way ahead of its time... and much of it also was sadly incomplete/felt TOO barren at some points.  SANDBOXES are incredible, but you can't leave it completely empty.  Sandbox + Content = Hybrid Super MMORPG.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by Abrahmm
    LOL come on. What could you possibly dislike about player cities, great crafting, and a skill based system?

First of all, I believe I specified I wasn't opposed to a skill-based system — assuming it's balanced and free of exploits. Are you going to argue with me that's unreasonable, or pretend SWG's skill-based system was beyond reproach?

As for player cities — if they're implemented in either an instance-based model, or limited exclusively to areas wherein they cannot interfere with the rest of the game's operation, then I'd be fine with them too. Though personally I still feel they're largely superfluous and don't merit a high priority on a feature list.

As for "great" crafting, let's forget for a moment that's incredibly subjective. My primary objection is two-fold. First, can you deny the "massive crafting experimentation/resource qualities" didn't play a significant role in SWG's long list of exploits and imbalances? Or would you defend items such as 99.999% resist compo armor as reasonable? Secondly, I personally oppose all forms of non-consensual PvP (excluding servers designated SPECIFICALLY for PvP). Player-driven economies are just that — a form of PvP. Now if participation is entirely optional, and players have the choice to pursue/enjoy the game without engaging in a crafting-based economy, I'd be perfectly fine with that too.

And yes, since you asked, the flawed implementation of many of SWG's mechanics has made me suspect of those asking to relive the experience. It's very, very hard to distinguish between those who: a) were ignorant/indifferent to their abuse, b) gleefully took advantage of their abuse, and c) only appreciated the potential those systems could have achieved, had they been implemented with more care and forethought. If you're arguing from the position of the latter, my sincerest apologies... otherwise, go get stuffed.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Quit before JTL. I do not remember SWG as a delightful experience at all, though I do think the sense of freedom it epitomizes is something we need more of today. Still, I'm hoping Bioware will find other means of achieving it and that TOR will not be like SWG in its core design.

I'd agree what we've heard from Bioware until now does sound a bit too single player-ish, but it might just be that we've heard too little. I'll just trust their taste and judgment.

• nazgarothnazgaroth Member Posts: 1

*Player cities
    *Crafting based economy

I guess he meant agree, assuming that, so do I.

Anyway SWG skill system was so unbalanced that it was just a waste of time. Well not the system itself, but the mixture of skill system + 90% resis armor (they could at least have tested the minimum and maximum values of the crafted stuff using the best and worst resources, before releasing aberrating 100% compos armors) + damage mitigations + stun hole = made the whole thing totally unbalanceable. They simply did not choose the right sollutions to the problems they created.

Anyway i played for 2 years, mainly  cause of the craft-player based economy and nice social aspects it offered. But the combat experience... PvE was so easy u could solo everything with the proper spec until they released DWB... and PvP was just a matter of who had the coolest mind eater FOTM or who chose the Stun FOTM instead, making 80% of skill trees useless.

So great ideas, poor execution. If u cannot manage to balance a skill system pre release, don't bother and give us classes that are much easier to balance (and even more to keep balanced as game grows) :P

Praying for Darkfall ppl not to make the same mistake...

• oddjobs74oddjobs74 Member Posts: 526

The problem with SWG was that it wasn't Star Wars.  It really had nothing to do with Star Wars. If you changed the looks of architecture, ships, armor, weapons ect, There was nothing to remind you of Star Wars.

Everybody in armor? Smugglers? Martial Arts masters? There was no Galactic Civil War in evidence. The quest syestem at launch was basicly via terminals, which gave a good read and cool description of a mission, but every time what you had to do was drive 3K miles to some random location in the middle of nowhere to encounter 3 storm troopers chillin by a flag doing jumping jacks, clapping or dancing. Then, after your 1st shot, you stood there and shot them at point blank for a minute and a half while they punched you. Now they are all dead, so you have to shoot a flag for a half an hour untill it is destroyed in a spectacular explosion. Mission acomplished. Now do this about 9 billion times.

The character models were rediculous. A belt thats like  3 foot wide ring around your waist? They didnt have swimming pools in SWG...And again Armor..why does every character have to be in armor? It simply Isn't Star Wars.

It was a poorly executed concept, and the fact they had jedi in it at all was a mistake. There was again, just nothing Star Wars about except for the skins, and look of the enviornment.

With that said I did enjoy the mechanics of the game at launch. I liked the 3 pools of health. The crafting was great, Housing and player cities was nicely done, and it was somewhat playable if you took the Star Wars part of it with a grain of salt.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by oddjobs74

The problem with SWG was that it wasn't Star Wars.  It really had nothing to do with Star Wars. If you changed the looks of architecture, ships, armor, weapons ect, There was nothing to remind you of Star Wars.
    Everybody in armor? Smugglers? Martial Arts masters? There was no Galactic Civil War in evidence. The quest syestem at launch was basicly via terminals, which gave a good read and cool description of a mission, but every time what you had to do was drive 3K miles to some random location in the middle of nowhere to encounter 3 storm troopers chillin by a flag doing jumping jacks, clapping or dancing. Then, after your 1st shot, you stood there and shot them at point blank for a minute and a half while they punched you. Now they are all dead, so you have to shoot a flag for a half an hour untill it is destroyed in a spectacular explosion. Mission acomplished. Now do this about 9 billion times.
    The character models were rediculous. A belt thats like  3 foot wide ring around your waist? They didnt have swimming pools in SWG...And again Armor..why does every character have to be in armor? It simply Isn't Star Wars.
    It was a poorly executed concept, and the fact they had jedi in it at all was a mistake. There was again, just nothing Star Wars about except for the skins, and look of the enviornment.
    With that said I did enjoy the mechanics of the game at launch. I liked the 3 pools of health. The crafting was great, Housing and player cities was nicely done, and it was somewhat playable if you took the Star Wars part of it with a grain of salt.

HAHAHAHA jumping jacks lol, yeah they did. Every once in a while you might catch a Imperial officer dancing for his troopers. Soo funny.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• kahulbanekahulbane Member Posts: 73

The Old Republic will be nothing like SWG in any way, they have made that very clear. So some of you will be very happy, others very sad, lol.

I think it was in an IGN interview:

Players who were hoping for an updated version of Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies will be disappointed with a quote from BioWare founder Ray Muzyka in IGN’s recent coverage of the announcement. In their interview, Muzyka says that, “It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. Obviously, this puts a damper on players who may have been hoping to spend their time strictly as an entertainer or moisture farmer..

Pain is the little thing that reminds us we are alive.
    Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions.

WWII-Online Stats this map:
    Brit Air
    French Air
    imageTake the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.

Originally posted by kahulbane

The Old Republic will be nothing like SWG in any way, they have made that very clear. So some of you will be very happy, others very sad, lol.
    I think it was in an IGN interview:
    Players who were hoping for an updated version of Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies will be disappointed with a quote from BioWare founder Ray Muzyka in IGN’s recent coverage of the announcement. In their interview, Muzyka says that, “It’s not a day-in-the-life of Star Wars”. Instead, he tells them that it’s about being a hero. Obviously, this puts a damper on players who may have been hoping to spend their time strictly as an entertainer or moisture farmer..

So, it actually is the NGE, or at least what the NGE was supposed to transform SWG into. The whole 9 "iconic" classes and being "heroic" (Yay, the npcs love me!!). It's just the NGE done right, from the ground up.

Either way I've had enough of chasing quests on a rail from one quest hub to another. Just isn't fun anymore. Not in an MMO anyway. I expect to ride the rail in a single player game. I expect now to lay the tracks in the directions I want to go in an MMO.

Meh, it'll be fun watching this one develope...in sort of a masochistic way as I do like the IP but its direction is ensuring I won't play it. 

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    Originally posted by tillamook

HAHAHAHA jumping jacks lol, yeah they did. Every once in a while you might catch a Imperial officer dancing for his troopers. Soo funny.

That or Vader yawning and stretching for no apparent reason. Oddjob you hit the issue pretty square in the head, SWG was broke from Day 1. Remeber the original concept of a storyline that was to be determined by the players actions? They did what..One story arc within the first few monthsof launch, then scrapped the entire concept after that.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by BaronJuJu

That or Vader yawning and stretching for no apparent reason. Oddjob you hit the issue pretty square in the head, SWG was broke from Day 1. Remeber the original concept of a storyline that was to be determined by the players actions? They did what..One story arc within the first few monthsof launch, then scrapped the entire concept after that.

LOL I remember some dancers could make Vader clap.

Any ways promissed content was missing all the way through. Cries of Alderaan, scrapped, they treid again with Secrets of Siren quest line, not sure that was ever finished. They even hired a new writer to write bi-weekly story events, she posted twice and we never heard from her again. lol

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

LOL I remember some dancers could make Vader clap.
    Any ways promissed content was missing all the way through. Cries of Alderaan, scrapped, they treid again with Secrets of Siren quest line, not sure that was ever finished. They even hired a new writer to write bi-weekly story events, she posted twice and we never heard from her again. lol

LOL, yup.

But remember, those were the golden days of SWG

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

LOL come on. What could you possibly dislike about player cities, great crafting, and a skill based system?

First of all, I believe I specified I wasn't opposed to a skill-based system — assuming it's balanced and free of exploits. Are you going to argue with me that's unreasonable, or pretend SWG's skill-based system was beyond reproach?

There were a few slight imbalances in SWG's skill system, but you are over-exaggerating how bad they were. The biggest problem with the skill system was the lack of a stat cap, which was needed. Beyond that, SWG's skill system was one of the best character customization implementation I have ever seen.

As for player cities — if they're implemented in either an instance-based model, or limited exclusively to areas wherein they cannot interfere with the rest of the game's operation, then I'd be fine with them too. Though personally I still feel they're largely superfluous and don't merit a high priority on a feature list.

Instanced housing is a waste of housing. That doesn't make me feel like I'm living in the world. Just like I find Guild War's guild halls pointless because they are instanced. How did the housing of SWG interfere with your game? Yes, the overcrowded ghost towns did become annoying after a while, but that was more of a problem with SOE's implementation than it was a problem of the basic mechanic. Just simply having the house packup option automatically pack up a house after the account was inactive for 1-3 months would have completely fixed the problem.

As for "great" crafting, let's forget for a moment that's incredibly subjective. My primary objection is two-fold. First, can you deny the "massive crafting experimentation/resource qualities" didn't play a significant role in SWG's long list of exploits and imbalances? Or would you defend items such as 99.999% resist compo armor as reasonable? Secondly, I personally oppose all forms of non-consensual PvP (excluding servers designated SPECIFICALLY for PvP). Player-driven economies are just that — a form of PvP. Now if participation is entirely optional, and players have the choice to pursue/enjoy the game without engaging in a crafting-based economy, I'd be perfectly fine with that too.

Again, the main problem was the lack of stat caps, not basic mechanics. And I agree they were problems.

So you hate player driven economies because you consider them non-consensual PvP? If you aren't a crafter, then it doesn't effect you at all. If you are a crafter, how does it effect you? Having to price your items reasonably? That doesn't sound like PvP, that sounds like a great way to keep the economy in check. Do you hate WoW's auction house system? How is that any different from a player driven, crafting based economy? Sure you get most of your loot from drops, but selling and buy stuff is the exact same.

And yes, since you asked, the flawed implementation of many of SWG's mechanics has made me suspect of those asking to relive the experience. It's very, very hard to distinguish between those who: a) were ignorant/indifferent to their abuse, b) gleefully took advantage of their abuse, and c) only appreciated the potential those systems could have achieved, had they been implemented with more care and forethought. If you're arguing from the position of the latter, my sincerest apologies... otherwise, go get stuffed.

I would say I fall into mostly C), a little bit of A) for two reasons. One, I agree that the mechanics had some flaws, but those were mostly statistical and cap flaws, not core mechanics. Another reason is that you grossly exaggerate the effect of the flaws. Sure, 90% resist armor was ridiculous, but it wasn't that damaging to the game because lots of people had it. I'm not saying the exploits were good, or right, but you are over-exaggerating their damaging effects on the game.

So, you basically didn't like the minor flaws of the systems, such as hard caps and stat problems, and not necessarily the mechanics?

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

There were a few slight imbalances in SWG's skill system, but you are over-exaggerating how bad they were. The biggest problem with the skill system was the lack of a stat cap, which was needed. Beyond that, SWG's skill system was one of the best character customization implementation I have ever seen.

Over-exaggerating? Are you kidding me? KD+Dizzy? Defense Stacking?? What about professions such as Pikeman and Squad Leader which at launch had few (if any) functioning skills?

Instanced housing is a waste of housing. That doesn't make me feel like I'm living in the world. Just like I find Guild War's guild halls pointless because they are instanced. How did the housing of SWG interfere with your game? Yes, the overcrowded ghost towns did become annoying after a while, but that was more of a problem with SOE's implementation than it was a problem of the basic mechanic. Just simply having the house packup option automatically pack up a house after the account was inactive for 1-3 months would have completely fixed the problem.

You seem to forget the occasions when people would use player structures to "trap" creatures like Krayt dragons, or cordon off their player bases from attack. Or the twits who took advantage of "lot swapping" to turn entire landscapes into harvester strip malls. Even under the best circumstances, they often conflicted with spawns, and all too often, frankly, were eyesores.

Apparently, for you they enriched immersion. For me, they had quite the opposite effect.

Again, the main problem was the lack of stat caps, not basic mechanics. And I agree they were problems.

So you hate player driven economies because you consider them non-consensual PvP? If you aren't a crafter, then it doesn't effect you at all.

Decay didn't affect non-crafters? Were we playing the same game?

If you are a crafter, how does it effect you? Having to price your items reasonably? That doesn't sound like PvP, that sounds like a great way to keep the economy in check. Do you hate WoW's auction house system? How is that any different from a player driven, crafting based economy? Sure you get most of your loot from drops, but selling and buy stuff is the exact same.

Did I ostensibly hate WoW's auction houses? No, because I wasn't dependent on them. The game presented numerous alternatives to fall back on (though in fairness, had I played a heavily equipment reliant class such as Warrior, I may have had a different opinion). But the maintenance fees for equipment repairs, travel expenses, the cost of mounts, not to mention purchasing new skills? Yeah, to be completely honest, I wasn't very fond of those at all. For me, it added an additional (and in my opinion, unwarranted) amount of drudgery to the game experience. But that's more an issue with sink/drain based economies in general, not specifically player-driven economies.

I would say I fall into mostly C), a little bit of A) for two reasons. One, I agree that the mechanics had some flaws, but those were mostly statistical and cap flaws, not core mechanics. Another reason is that you grossly exaggerate the effect of the flaws. Sure, 90% resist armor was ridiculous, but it wasn't that damaging to the game because lots of people had it. I'm not saying the exploits were good, or right, but you are over-exaggerating their damaging effects on the game.

Wait, I'm over-exaggerating, AND it wasn't so much an issue... 'cause lots of people were exploiting it? Really?? 

So, you basically didn't like the minor flaws of the systems, such as hard caps and stat problems, and not necessarily the mechanics?

I strongly disagree with your evaluation that they were "minor".

• navajinavaji Member UncommonPosts: 22

I'm glad I started this post...I see there is alot of diffrent views.

I never had the glitch issues everyone else talked about and I played 4-5 hours a day for close to 2 years. I must have been very lucky.

My concern with this new game is that it will funnel you into a story line and not allow for much freedom or creativaty. I was never a quest player, even back in the old EQ days. I hunted for XP never did quests. So for me a heavly quest driven MMO (like Conan) is just to confining, I like the sandbox.

Originally posted by navaji

I'm glad I started this post...I see there is alot of diffrent views.
    I never had the glitch issues everyone else talked about and I played 4-5 hours a day for close to 2 years. I must have been very lucky.
    My concern with this new game is that it will funnel you into a story line and not allow for much freedom or creativaty. I was never a quest player, even back in the old EQ days. I hunted for XP never did quests. So for me a heavly quest driven MMO (like Conan) is just to confining, I like the sandbox.

Same here, I never experienced these issues some folks are ranting and raving about, and I played at least 5 hours a day. I ran tons of missions from the terminals and never once saw a lair spawn in the sky. *shrug* Guess I was lucky too.

I also never saw the terminals as a primary conduit for "story", either. My Bothan Doctor making his medical supplies to sell and healing folks of their wound was my story in the SW universe. I didn't need random npcs telling me to go do this and that in order to feel some sort of accomplishment or heroic. I found ways to do that on my own, and the folks I helped expressed their appreciation for my efforts. That, to me, is heroic. That, to me, is a sense of accomplishment.

Meh, to each their own. Some people want adulation from npcs screaming "yay, you're a hero". I prefer gaining the respect of other players (whether through combat prowess or by providing a useful service) who have the capacity to give merit or not to my deeds and aren't scripted to pat me on the back.

Chavez y Chavez