[Poll] Do you exercise?

XemousXemous dallas, TXMember Posts: 255

If yes, what type and how often?  Cardio or lifting?

I lift about 4-5 times a week, alternating between chest, arms, and back.  Abs are everyday.  I also run about 1.25 miles a day.

image

«1

Comments

  • DraenorDraenor Roseville, CAMember UncommonPosts: 7,918

    I lift weights and enjoy it, but i freaking hate running, I do it...but i freaking hate it

    Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

  • Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Myrtle Beach, SCMember UncommonPosts: 11,718

    I enjoy working out. I lift weights, run and I love it. It's fun and when you love it you get great results. 6-pack Rikimaru. A ninja gotta keep fit.

    -In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

  • GameloadingGameloading NAMember Posts: 14,182

    I pick up my TV remote at least 4 or 5 times a day.

  • Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Myrtle Beach, SCMember UncommonPosts: 11,718

    And Author Poster, that guy dancing in your sig, do you have a video of that so I can watch it? I want to show some of my friends I dance with.

    -In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

  • GameloadingGameloading NAMember Posts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X


    And Author Poster, that guy dancing in your sig, do you have a video of that so I can watch it? I want to show some of my friends I dance with.



     

    www.youtube.com/watch

  • Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Myrtle Beach, SCMember UncommonPosts: 11,718
    Originally posted by Gameloading

    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X


    And Author Poster, that guy dancing in your sig, do you have a video of that so I can watch it? I want to show some of my friends I dance with.



     

    www.youtube.com/watch

     

    I'm a breakdancer and that was a freaky video. He famous or somethin? Im going to mimick some of his hand moves for my new solo. Gotta serve some guys this friday night.

    -In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

  • OracleusOracleus tungshinMember Posts: 133

    hmm i do lifting before for my chest and arms but i stopped due to addiction on playing hehe and i really cant keep the required diet so no means of lifting for my weight still the same haha really cant control my eating habit haha

  • NasicaNasica Gold CoastMember Posts: 1,940

    I exercise three or four times a week, mostly running, but thats mainly because the PT staff in the Navy dont have any imagination.

    Running in a circle, running in a straight line, push ups, sit ups, star jumps, rince repeat....

    Its wierd, we have only training in the pool 3 times since ive started there. I was expecting a lot more swimming

  • TurboGsTurboGs AberdeenMember Posts: 42
    Originally posted by Draenor


    I lift weights and enjoy it, but i freaking hate running, I do it...but i freaking hate it

     

    yeh same here, been back at my parents in the middle of no where for the holidays so really concentrating on gaining weight last couple of weeks, not got anything else to do so just been concentrating on eating and weight lifting lol. and browsing digg and mmorpg.com while eating :P

  • sephersepher Atlanta, GAMember Posts: 3,561

    I go through alternating six weeks cycles every now and then of cutting and bulking

    For a cutting cycle. I complete my macronutrient ratios with mostly egg whites, oat bran, whole grain toast in the morning, and sometimes protein shakes but I usually get enough protein without 'em while cutting.

    I eat five more times a day, spaced 3 hours a piece to keep protein steady in my system. Meals don't change much, egg whites replaced with tuna for toast, omega 3 peanut butter and skinless/boneless chicken wraps with cholula sauce (no calories, no/low sodium, pretty good).

    I also keep the toast and breads within my first through meals, as they're starchy carbs. Towards the afternoon I start eating lettuce and other fibrous carbs.

    Not a lot of saturated fat in chicken breast, and a lot of good fats in omega 3 peanut butter and tuna, so I have an easy time getting mostly good fats.

    When cutting I work out around my heart rate, meaning I run everyday at least 20-30 minutes to get my heart rate up. I do High Intensity Interval Training, i.e. sprint and jog which'll lead to more fat being burned across the day than what would be burned over two hours of doing something moderately paced.

    Three days a week while cutting I'll weight lift. I separate what I do into supergroups; usually only twop, upper and lower body. So I try not to HIIT as much on mornings I have to work out my lower group of muscles.

    Since while cutting I'm eating at a calorie deficit though, I don't try to gain any muscle, simply preserve what I'm losing. I weigh and check my body fat percentage to make sure that 80% of what I'm losing is fat and not muscle.

    For bulking I try to eat the exact same things, but since I'm eating at a calorie surplus instead of a deficit, I usually end up eatin' not so optimal food to get my calories. I still stick to mostly water, the only liquid calories I'll take in are protein shakes and orange juice every now and then.

    I start supplementing my fat intake with flaxseed oil as well in the morning.

    I work out strictly based on reps and sets, always 3 sets, I try to get 8 reps out of each set. If I can do 12 reps out of each set, I change my weights.

    Runnin' I still mostly do for getting my heart rate up each morning, and still stick to HIIT. I increase my minutes if I can. It's all on the treadmill.

    So while bulking I'll stick it out the entire six weeks and try to gain a few pounds of muscles here and there. Then cut any fat and get my body fat percentage right.

    Now I usually only bulk/cut two times a year, before the summer and before the holidays. Can't do it year around purely because the food sucks, so I give myself a break more often than not. Works for me though to stay in shape.

  • TurboGsTurboGs AberdeenMember Posts: 42

    Interesting post Sepher. I've been trying to eat 4 or 5 times a day, trying to kee to a pretty high fibre diet so lots of dense fruits, starchy vegetables,  and of course getting as much protein in there as possible.

    As far as weights go been doing sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 and another 12. I only started going to the gym a couple months ago and only taking it seriously in the past few weeks so I have a couple questions that go to everyone.

    1.  I've seen on a lot of websites claiming that I should be drinking as much as 1L of water per 20KG of body weight. Just wondering if this kind of water intake is just a myth as surely you will get plenty of that from food. So does anyone actually drink that much, just wondering :P ?

    2. Also im not to keen on tuna wondering if someone could suggest a substitute as it seems to be what a lot of people weight training eat?

    3. And finally I'm really trying to put on weight as I was close to being underweight wondering if anyone had any tips for me? 

  • sephersepher Atlanta, GAMember Posts: 3,561
    Originally posted by TurboGs


    Interesting post Sepher. I've been trying to eat 4 or 5 times a day, trying to kee to a pretty high fibre diet so lots of dense fruits, starchy vegetables,  and of course getting as much protein in there as possible.
    As far as weights go been doing sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 and another 12. I only started going to the gym a couple months ago and only taking it seriously in the past few weeks so I have a couple questions that go to everyone.
    1.  I've seen on a lot of websites claiming that I should be drinking as much as 1L of water per 20KG of body weight. Just wondering if this kind of water intake is just a myth as surely you will get plenty of that from food. So does anyone actually drink that much, just wondering :P ?
    2. Also im not to keen on tuna wondering if someone could suggest a substitute as it seems to be what a lot of people weight training eat?
    3. And finally I'm really trying to put on weight as I was close to being underweight wondering if anyone had any tips for me? 



     

    The reason for eating as much as 6 times a day with a good macronutrient ratio is, well amino acids from protein only stay in your bloodstream about 3 hours. Complex carbohydrates release enough insulin to deliver those acids to muscle cells. So it's all about maximizing muscle growth vs. fat storage there. There's also a good impact on your metabolism if you're eating small and often.

    And as far as weight lifting goes, it's the last 1-2 reps that matter when it comes to wearing your muscles out. 8-12 reps across 2-3 sets I believe is optimal. 'least a lot better than doing something like 20-30 reps of light weight lifting. Sometimes I take creatine on days I don't feel optimal to make sure I get those last 1-2 reps.

    1. "Enough water" depends on how much working out you're doing, and your macronutrient ratio. By that I mean, ya gotta drink as much water as necessary in the morning to feel you're up for beginning your work out, and drink as much during to keep it up. 'specially HIIT.

    Then there's your protein intake. A lot of protein has a diuretic. It creates a lot of metabolic waste that you need to flush out with a lot of water.

    Anyway it's tricky to say "how much water", there's too many factors involved. I personally drink before I ever get thirsty, and stop overhydrating when I notice I have to urinate almost immediately after drinking.

    2. Boneless, skinless chicken. Fish like salmon are good too but expensive on weight lifting diet; 'least for me. There's peanut butter too, but only the natural stuff not loaded with sugar. The kind I get is labelled "Omega 3" still it has flaxseed oil added to it. Tastes like crap for awhile but then tastes as good as the Jiffy or whatever.

    That's about it though. Protein shakes are huge boosts for your macronutrient ratio in the morning. I sometimes have two of 'em a day if I don't feel like eating a whole bunch of the above of my protein; but doing so is having more liquid calories than optimal.

    You really don't have a lot of good tasting options for as pure protein as you can find. You can have beef, but its high in saturated fat. You can have cottage cheese, but its digusting to me.

    3. Eat at a calorie surplus.

    Only thing I really try to mind is my saturated fat intake when I do this. My macronutrient ratio is usually 20% fats, and only 5% saturated fat.

    Do consider eating at a "calorie surplus" is the ONLY time you can build muscle though. That isn't always true since there's some mesomorphs who can eat at a deficit, and put on muscle, but your best bet of gaining muscle happens when you're eating at a surplus.

    So eat a lot, lift a lot, worry about the non-lean body mass gains when you "cut".

  • TurboGsTurboGs AberdeenMember Posts: 42

    Thanks a lot man gonna go give the 8-12 reps over 2-3 sets a go today i think . As far as the water intake is concerned pretty much what i was doing already, drinking as much as I think I need as opposed to a set amount every day.

    Not got protein whey with me here starting next week once I get back to my flat and I'll look out for the penut butter with flaxseed oil/ omega 3 when im restocking on food :D

  • SigneSigne All Over, PAMember Posts: 2,581

    I have back problem so I don't run but I bought a treadmill last year and I'm working up to it.  Hopefully.  I've had physical therapy and do those exercises, too.  My back is at it's worst in the morning but I have to admit that once I get started moving, it starts feeling marginally better.  It's those first steps that are the killer.  If I can get over that, I'm good to go.  The treadmill is the best investment I've made in years.  I'm trying to get my fat lazy ginger tom to use it, too!  So far - no go.

  • 701kill701kill New Salem, NDMember Posts: 106

    I'm in wrestling at my school so I'm getting about  2 1/2 hours of exercise on every weekday, unless we have a tournament or something.

  • XemousXemous dallas, TXMember Posts: 255
    Originally posted by sepher


    I go through alternating six weeks cycles every now and then of cutting and bulking
    For a cutting cycle. I complete my macronutrient ratios with mostly egg whites, oat bran, whole grain toast in the morning, and sometimes protein shakes but I usually get enough protein without 'em while cutting.
    I eat five more times a day, spaced 3 hours a piece to keep protein steady in my system. Meals don't change much, egg whites replaced with tuna for toast, omega 3 peanut butter and skinless/boneless chicken wraps with cholula sauce (no calories, no/low sodium, pretty good).
    I also keep the toast and breads within my first through meals, as they're starchy carbs. Towards the afternoon I start eating lettuce and other fibrous carbs.
    Not a lot of saturated fat in chicken breast, and a lot of good fats in omega 3 peanut butter and tuna, so I have an easy time getting mostly good fats.
    When cutting I work out around my heart rate, meaning I run everyday at least 20-30 minutes to get my heart rate up. I do High Intensity Interval Training, i.e. sprint and jog which'll lead to more fat being burned across the day than what would be burned over two hours of doing something moderately paced.
    Three days a week while cutting I'll weight lift. I separate what I do into supergroups; usually only twop, upper and lower body. So I try not to HIIT as much on mornings I have to work out my lower group of muscles.
    Since while cutting I'm eating at a calorie deficit though, I don't try to gain any muscle, simply preserve what I'm losing. I weigh and check my body fat percentage to make sure that 80% of what I'm losing is fat and not muscle.
    For bulking I try to eat the exact same things, but since I'm eating at a calorie surplus instead of a deficit, I usually end up eatin' not so optimal food to get my calories. I still stick to mostly water, the only liquid calories I'll take in are protein shakes and orange juice every now and then.
    I start supplementing my fat intake with flaxseed oil as well in the morning.
    I work out strictly based on reps and sets, always 3 sets, I try to get 8 reps out of each set. If I can do 12 reps out of each set, I change my weights.
    Runnin' I still mostly do for getting my heart rate up each morning, and still stick to HIIT. I increase my minutes if I can. It's all on the treadmill.
    So while bulking I'll stick it out the entire six weeks and try to gain a few pounds of muscles here and there. Then cut any fat and get my body fat percentage right.
    Now I usually only bulk/cut two times a year, before the summer and before the holidays. Can't do it year around purely because the food sucks, so I give myself a break more often than not. Works for me though to stay in shape.

     

    You seem to be quite educated on the subject

    Does muscle burn after fat?  Or do they burn together?  Cause ive got a 6 pack under this thin layer of fat, but dont want to burn the fat if its gunna burn my muscle.

    image

  • Swiftblade13Swiftblade13 Lake Ariel, PAMember Posts: 638

    I dont excercize, but I'm not overweight and I'm not in bad shape for my age. 

    Forced daily workouts in the Army left a bad taste in my mouth for excersize unfortunately.

    In the summer I do a fair amount of swimming, and I've been trying to start bicycling but man is that tough here in the mountains when  you are kinda out of shape and getting older.

    Grymm
    MMO addict in recovery!
    EQ,SWG preCU,L2,EQ2,GW,CoH/CoV,V:SOH,
    Aion,AoC,TR,WAR,EVE,BP,RIFT,WoW and others... no more!

  • emersonseguiemersonsegui bronx, NYMember Posts: 2

    me.. i do exercise.. and i've been doing it since 1997 until today.. i have a schedule of 4 hrs a day of sports training and workout and its a 5 day course out and rest on weekends.. i know its tiring but i think im addicted or i can say committed to what i do

     

  • icyrascalicyrascal Cali, CAMember Posts: 6

    I don't exercise regularly, only when I feel like it or have time. Most of the time I'm at work, so less time for gaming, sleep and exercise.

  • hvc801hvc801 New York, NYMember Posts: 987

    push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, the regular.  I use my own body's weight to exercise, i don't lift, or run, I just smoke cigarettes to get me out of breath.

    ______________________________

    What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

    Originally posted by Hazmal

    What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

  • DekronDekron Oklahoma City, OKMember UncommonPosts: 7,356

    Sex about 15 times per day. Great arm workout, abs, legs. Yeah, best natural exercise ever.

  • KorbyKorby Irvine, CAMember Posts: 499

    Lifting and riding a bike.

     

    Not much of a runner..

  • hvc801hvc801 New York, NYMember Posts: 987
    Originally posted by Dekron


    Sex about 15 times per day. Great arm workout, abs, legs. Yeah, best natural exercise ever.



     

    wish i had your personal trainer!

    ______________________________

    What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

    Originally posted by Hazmal

    What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

  • gamabunta321gamabunta321 Cali, CAMember Posts: 6
    Originally posted by hvc801

    Originally posted by Dekron


    Sex about 15 times per day. Great arm workout, abs, legs. Yeah, best natural exercise ever.



     

    wish i had your personal trainer!

     

    lol me too. :D

  • theJPKtheJPK Margate, FLMember Posts: 91

    I'm really lazy, everyone once and a while I will go for a walk on the beach or something. I diet when I am getting unhealthy cause I find it easier. Excersise, life is too short to excersise when its not a hobby, I really could care less if I have a six pack or not.

    __________________________
    Played:WoW, Darkfall, Warhammer, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Last Chaos, Runescape, Maplestory, Planeshift
    Loved: Guild Wars, Eve, Darkfall
    Playing:(none)
    Waiting for: I don't know

Sign In or Register to comment.