Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yes, I was banned

123457»

Comments

• LinnaLinna Member Posts: 387

Originally posted by Deleted User

Originally posted by zymurgeist

If they didn't what you to tell people something what did they tell you for?

Exactly, I had not been invited into closed beta & was not under any nda.

In fact i was trying to help them by promoting what I thought they released, I'll never do it again.

Their loss not mine.

Hmm... deleted user? Don't like the looks of that.

It's too damn crazy... they leak the info in a publicly accessible site (I found it =p) , then ban you for spreading the news in stead of thanking you... I mean, EA/Bioware are sending me huge mails with all the new things they're working on for the next alpha build of SW:TOR, but FLS go all apeshit about a few lines about their intentions???

I really hope they do unban you, DJ. It's hard to see them do this to people who only want to love the game.

Linna

We lost touch with a lot of people from POTBS, so I'm hoping they'll come look here. Hop over to www.phpbb88.com/fated/ and let us know where you've been!

Linna
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

N-N-N-N-N-N-N-NECRO COMBO!!!

Originally posted by colddog04

Or maybe, just maybe, the OP trying to get in touch with some people last seen when posting in this thread? Far-fetched, I know...

=p

Linna
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Linna

Originally posted by colddog04

Or maybe, just maybe, the OP trying to get in touch with some people last seen when posting in this thread? Far-fetched, I know... =p Linna

Yeah, I'm sorry. I don't know why I couldn't resist.

I hope you find your friends. :P

Since the game's now free to play, I expect some Fated members might want to go say hi to old friends. <Fated> is now located on Antigua. Give a holler in our forums if you want a toon to be added to guild: www.phpbb88.com/fated

Linna

• HannothanHannothan Member Posts: 13

Since the game's now free to play, I expect some Fated members might want to go say hi to old friends. is now located on Antigua. Give a holler in our forums if you want a toon to be added to guild: www.phpbb88.com/fated

Linna

Surprised you'd go back... even with it being free to play.

If a game company, regardless of how many friends I had playing or how much I liked the concept of the game, treated me the way they treated you, my only response to them (The game company, not your friends) would be "Piss Off"

Originally posted by Hannothan

Since the game's now free to play, I expect some Fated members might want to go say hi to old friends. is now located on Antigua. Give a holler in our forums if you want a toon to be added to guild: www.phpbb88.com/fated

Linna

Surprised you'd go back... even with it being free to play.

If a game company, regardless of how many friends I had playing or how much I liked the concept of the game, treated me the way they treated you, my only response to them (The game company, not your friends) would be "Piss Off"

That pretty much sums up my reaction (not to mention my husband's, he's still livid), but some of our members wanted to go and have a look. We lost contact with a lot of people who played POTBS with us, and this will help keep our forum info out there, so if they stop by here, they can check where exactly everyone is.

=)

Linna

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

Such bullshit.  The insurance system that allowed exploitation was the real problem IMO...  Trying to handle cases individually like they did is just asking for trouble.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Originally posted by Deliriumz1

Originally posted by Deliriumz1

Sorry to hear that ;< , even though it does sound as u were walking really close to the edge of some rules, it sounds that you have always been pretty honest about it, so not even getting a reason why you got banned is just stupid tbh .

As to breaking the rules: well, the problem is, the rules when I bought the game said it was OK to play that way. Even trading first rate durability  to pirates - something I never did - was OK, according to a dev post in Beta, since the same amount of work would go into building it. This system only became problematic when they introduced insurance, and the pirate with the national account would get both the ship AND their money back.

I do want to make a small remark on this part of ur reply. When entering an mmo you do agree in the contract that they may change the rules during the existance of the game, and even though I do understand where you are coming from, this is something that you can not really hold against the developers since an mmo is always bound to change some of their rules in the future.

You know, I hear what you're saying.   But there is a differnce between small changes and huge modifications...   One is expected, the other fairly dishonest because it tends to be punitive or confiscatory.   Like this one.

Also, it's not a 'good-faith' contract, it's an explotive and abusive licenseing agreement and if you read it carefully, they owe you nothing and can screw you over without recourse.     

• kazamxkazamx Member CommonPosts: 165

Wow, I just came back to the POTBS forum thinking about this thread and here it is at the top of the forums.

One thing you can say about POTBS is that it had a big impact on people.

Linna still angry after all this time over a ban. 

TBH I still get wound up when I think back to my conversations with Aether and Rusty about how Nightflips would kill Roberts. They wouldn't or couldn't understand why one nation being able to field a full port battle at 5am while all 3 other nations only had like 5 people was a problem. 

In the end 90% of the Spanish, French and Pirates left the server. On the night we started the move FLS announced it was just a few trouble causes and to ignore us. By next morning they released a DevBlog announcing an end to Nightflips.

God even after all this time I am getting wound up. This could have been the greatest game ever. FLS blew it big time.

Billy Hicks

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Kazamx! Yes, amazing.

I got thinking about everything again because of this thread in the NEWS

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/352927/Wizardry-Online-To-Be-Unveiled-as-SOE-Title-at-E3.html

I still remember what a complete mess SOE made of all this.

And in fact I am Beta Testing another MMO and I used the FLS forums as an example of how NOT to build a forum community.

As for the 'night flips' - one of my very first posts on the FLS boards about a year prior to release was on that very subject.

I remember getting in a huge argument with a Fanboi about how just because each side could send 25 ships didn't mean each side would send 25 ships!

I came to PotBS with experience in WWIIoL where the Axis population caned the Allies for months because of exactly the same issue.

The Fanbois all claimed population 'balance' was assured and in the end it was Spinnaker Sam who told them "no".

Yeah, Rusty and FLS definitely had their own idea on how things would work. 

I think the game was the final cure for the Fanboi cry of "teh DEVS no best!" (sic)

Remember that?  You don't seem to see that so much these days... maybe because they often don't.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• OldMMOplayerOldMMOplayer Member Posts: 12

I am proud to say that I took part of the Great Spanish and French exodus from Roberts to Antigua. I was one of those who proposed quick and surprising transfer action as society leader.

The action was to take the battle to that part of customers who believed it is ok to unopposedly have fun ruining European port battles nightflipping all crucial ports when there was a night in Europe. Developers have mentioned that nightflipping is absolutely ok and intentional feature, therefore we expected that they won't mind our transfer.

In fact it was quite opposite and we expected that they will stop transfers as soon as their precious part of the gaming community will protest against nightflips from our part. In fact, nightflips did not exist for them. It was ok for Roberts British to nightflip Spanish and French, but was not ok for new Antigua Spanish and French to nightflip Antigua British. What a surprise?.. Not.

Well, we expected this. Therefore it was crucial to make transfer well-prepared, sudden and be done in short amount of time.

Transfers were stopped 1 day later. Port battle times were announced next days and were implemented in 2-3 weeks.

Fond memories of one of rare moments in MMO history where players actions did make developers to listen.

Thank you, everyone of Roberts Spanish and French players who stood up and made it possible. I salute you all!

Originally posted by OldMMOplayer

Fond memories of one of rare moments in MMO history where players actions did make developers to listen.

Thank you, everyone of Roberts Spanish and French players who stood up and made it possible. I salute you all!

Another year goes by and my mind turns back to POTBS, and so I come back to this thread and read it over once again.

OldMMOplayer, your right. When I think of the moment we all decided to move we actually stopped an entire game studios plan and made them go back to the drawingboard.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they came into work that morning and found most of Roberts on Antigua.

Anyway, for anyone following this thead. I will see you in 2014, when the thoughts of POTBS drive me back here.

I still miss Rackham...
    Originally posted by kazamx

Anyway, for anyone following this thead. I will see you in 2014, when the thoughts of POTBS drive me back here.

This is turning into something of a ritual now. Over 5 years of visiting the same thread on an annual basis to reminisce about POTBS.

I remember being so excited when I heard about the game and the depth of the economy. I couldn't wait to become a trader. Sailing the oceans buying from sisal and selling to pirates at the other side of the new world. For awhile I could. 

I found out this last year that I didn't complete the full transfer process, so Billy Hicks is lost for all time. 

I will see you next year strange little thread that I can't seem to leave alone.

• KieferCKieferC Member UncommonPosts: 35

Despite all of the negativity of late about the game, the DEVs have forged ahead with a revamped economy that will allow players to trade, produce in what will become an actual economy again.  Not the crafting single player game that called itself a MMO.  

This kind of vision and in-depth gameplay is what the game should have maintained from the beginning, instead of bending to the requests of the arcade player-base (a fickle bunch).  

Now, if they can restore the pvp mechanics to its original glory this game will hold on for a few more years to come.

Originally posted by kazamx

I will see you next year strange little thread that I can't seem to leave alone.

Another year and I am here yet again. I wonder if anyone will ever come to this thread and think WTF, 6 years and that strange dude is back again.

I think too much time has gone by now. I look back and remember writing those older posts but can't feel the old fire I felt when I wrote them. POTBS was just a game. A game with amazing potential, but still just a game.

I wonder if I will be back next year.