Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online FAQ

Metal_MMetal_M Member Posts: 44

Q: What is Mortal Online?

A: Mortal Online is a first-person MMORPG in an open player-controlled fantasy game world for the PC. Player versus Player (PvP), or rather Player to Player interaction plays an important part in Mortal Online as trading, learning, combat, rumors and alliances are largely dependent on communication between players.

Our approach to character creation, character progress and skills are to get away from hours and hours of pointless grinding and quickly immerse you into the community – once there, your real journey begins.

Q: How many character levels are there in Mortal Online?

A: None. We have no levels and therefore no level restrictions - i.e. certain levels needed to reach an area or to be able to handle a specific sword. You are free to travel the world in any way you like, limited only by the terrain, mode of conveyance or dangers in the environment. In the same way you can use any sword you like, provided you have the necessary skills to wield it.

Q: When will it be released?

A: During summer 2009

Q: How long has Mortal Online been under development?

A: We started planning Mortal Online back in early 2002, but the project really took off in 2005.

Q: How does the skill system work?

A: Skills are very important in Mortal Online, as they define what you can and cannot do, sometimes even what you can and cannot see. The skills you can learn are restricted by your class, this means that a warrior cannot learn each and every magic school, for example.

Two types of skills are Action Skills and Learning Skills. Action Skills will typically be trained by being used in the game, while the majority of Learning Skills are trained in the background and requires some time.

To lessen the tedious work of training a character from scratch, if you for example want to alternate your play time between a mage and a blacksmith, we have a group of skills called World Skills. The World Skills are connected to your Deva and will improve no matter what type of characters you are playing. This way if one of your characters for example explore the map or learn about history, so does all of the other characters connected to your Deva.

More intricate details of how the skill system works will be described later.

Q: Will Mortal Online be another clone of that game?

A: Definitely not. There are two main categories in the MMORPG genre which are often referred to as “Theme Park” and “Sandbox” respectively.

The overwhelming majority of MMORPG’s today belong to the Theme Park category. A Theme Park is often carefully planned and can deliver some very unique attractions. On the other hand, the attractions usually require you to be of a certain age or length to ride them, you have to stand in line, and none or minimal interaction is needed from your part. Like a real theme park it always looks the same and chances are you grow tired of the rides after 20 times or so, unless the theme park creates new exiting rides to keep the park entertaining.

In a Sandbox game you are able to create your own rides, and you interact with other players most of the time instead of NPCs. Every time you play will be a unique experience as the player interactions determine the outcome, and the world changes and reacts dynamically to their actions. This type of game typically lasts longer, but requires more involvement by the players.

Mortal Online is a true sandbox game, and with its focus on a realistic graphic style and the deep skill- and PvP-system, it is far from the typical MMORPG fantasy games seen today. The open and player controlled world is just one of the many features that makes Mortal Online unique.

Q: Is this game for the casual or hardcore gamer?

A: With its deep game system, Mortal Online will probably be regarded as hardcore by many, but we hope that our hybrid skill advancement system and freedom to choose your own style of play will appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers. Mortal Online won’t require you to put hundreds of hours of game play to be able to join your more experienced friends or contribute to the game world. However, Mortal Online is not a point- and click game where only the stats of your character decides the outcome of a battle, and that may indeed be regarded as too hardcore for some.

Q: Is Mortal Online comparable to any other game out there?

A: It’s never easy to compare your work to others. The core team comes from the beta days of Ultima Online and wants to build a PvP game in the same spirit but with today’s technology. Some of the very first MMORPG’s had features we have always seen as primary for the genre, and we are surprised to see that so few have developed games based on those features since that time. In short, we find many of today’s MMORPG’s impressive and fun, but see most of them as “cooperative PvE” games with only rudimentary PvP functionality. This makes us even more determined to see our vision come true in Mortal Online.

Q: Who funds the development of Mortal Online?

A: Star Vault is a publically listed company. We are independent in the way we are not dependent on a publisher's money or goodwill.

Q: What platforms are you building the game for?

A: PC

Q: Are you planning on implementing mounted combat?

A: Yes. We also have weapons only usable on certain Mounts.

Q: Will there be a limit to the amount of skill points you can allocate?

A: Yes and no. It's hard to explain without digging to deep: The Primary Skills will have limits, as thay are a prerequisite for the Class Skills. The Class Skills won't have limits. In short, you will have to choose for your character whether to become the world's greatest herbalist or swordmaster, as it can't be both due to its Primary Skills.

Q: Is there a possibility that boss fight encounters will be GM controlled rather than AI controlled? (If you're fighting a Dragon will a GM control it so you can fight another person rather than generally predictable AI?).

A: Yes.

Q: Will character names be visible above the heads of character Avatars?

A: We're working on this. The current solution is fps-like. If you spot someone you can identify him/her by holding your crosshair (or similar) on them. Also, you can set the GUI to automatically display the names of people that have succeeded in attacking you (people in your Target List), or people in your Group.

Q: Are you planning on implementing marine warfare? (Boats).

A: This will probably have to wait until after release. But we're planning on it.

Q: Will the most powerful items in the game be craftable or will you to find them in the game world?

A: Both. There will be powerful items to be found in the world that you cannot make - until you have found one and tried to understand the design and the components needed to be able to make one yourself (and sharing the secret is of course up to you).

Also, as the resources to make an item is found in the world, let's say Algoron Hide for making a great leather-type armor, you will find "powerful resources" in the game world that can make for a "powerful item", not necessarily the item itself.

Q: Considering the name of the game are you planning on implementing perma-death in any way? (I'm not a fan of perm-death, I'm just curious.)

A: No.

Q: Will a player be able to advance doing only PvP? Will a player be able to advance doing only PvE?

Q: Are you planning on implementing changeable weather effects? If so, will they effect gameplay in any signifigant way?

A: Yes, weather, and day cycles (including astronomical changes) are on our list. Whether weather (!) will affect gameplay is still up for review though.

Q: Are you planning on implementing pets that can help you in fights for any or all of the classes?

A: You will be able to (try to) control various creatures.

Q: Will there be item decay? (Can items be lost permanently through use?).

Q: Can you fully loot players in pvp ?

Q: How big are you planning on the largest battle to be? (How many players can fight each other at once?).

A: We don't know for sure yet.

Q: What is your position on stealth?

A: You mean in PvP, right? Stealth should be a combination of your skills as a player, combined with your character's Skills. As we can't represent every obstacle to hide behind, or every light source, there will be Stealth in the game that is somewhat "magical". Likewise, detecting something or someone that is "hidden" is not entirely up to you, as one or two Skills might help. It's all about balance though, so we will see.

Q: Im a big class based fan, so im wondering how much variety there will be..

A: Hopefully enough. It's also a matter of combining Skills.

Q: Will u be able to multiclass?

A: All Classes are somewhat multiclass as it's a matter of what Skills you choose. I can't go into detail about fighter-mages, blacksmith-assassins etc at this time though.

Q: Will there be instant kills (like throat slitting).

A: There will be special moves triggered when the timing is right, but killing somebody in one move will probably not happen.

Q: How are the skill trees work without lvling?

A: When using a Skill, you get better at it.

All Skills are connected to (based on) your main Attributes. When you train a Skill, you also train your Attributes. When gaining in an Attribute, so will your Skills connected to that Attribute.

When you want to learn a new Skill, you'll have to meet the prerequisites (mostly Attributes and Skills) and buy a book or find somenoe willing to tutor you. On some occasions, you can also discover and learn Skills by just.. ..doing things.

Q: Houses can they be accessed by everyone if door is unlocked, and can u decorate it like uo?

A: Yes. But you'd be trespassing. And yes, we'd like to see decorations.

Q: Will the mage system be more like uo. where the less amrour you wear the faster mana regen? i really like that idea, as then everyone dosent look like robots.

A: Mages will be affected by armor.

Q: Will there be archery & magic mounted combat? (From the teaser it only looked like melee mounted combat.)

Games played: Owerall ower 500+
MMORPG's played: SWG, ALL GW, WOW, L2, EVE, etc...

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Metal_M

Q: Are you planning on implementing changeable weather effects? If so, will they effect gameplay in any signifigant way?
    A: Yes, weather, and day cycles (including astronomical changes) are on our list. Whether weather (!) will affect gameplay is still up for review though.

I hope they're able to get this one working. NCSoft wanted to implement this in Aion as well, but halfway 2007 they dropped it because it appeared to be extremely difficult to make it work.

IMO weather influencing gameplay (other than sight and noice) makes a game more realistic & fun.

• renstarensta Member RarePosts: 728

is this game going to be p2p? 

Basically clicking away text windows ruins every MMO, try to have fun instead of rushing things. Without story and lore all there is left is a bunch of mechanics.
    Add Multi-Quote

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

yes it will be p2p

• FreedomBladeFreedomBlade Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by rensta

is this game going to be p2p? 

No they are going to give away for free. Doh !

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

they mention blocks of beta testers and aparently the only way to get "beta invite" is to PRE-PURCHase the us$78 game?!

Does one have to pay in advance to even beta test/check out the gameplay?? having waited since 2002... pay to beta test??

• colutrcolutr Member Posts: 333

They did beta invites before they did the Beta blocks. After all of the blocks are in they may do another wave of invites.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by Metal_M

I hope they're able to get this one working. NCSoft wanted to implement this in Aion as well, but halfway 2007 they dropped it because it appeared to be extremely difficult to make it work.

IMO weather influencing gameplay (other than sight and noice) makes a game more realistic & fun.

ryzom have it working, its great, give you real sense of a living world, cant tell you how many times ive hated going into the same zone and knowing that 99% of the time every single item will be the same, the weather, mobs, chests (well close by), npcs etc,

when things moves around, when weather change it give you such a nice feeling of interactive.

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I've done a lot of searching but can't find a definat awnser to this, but what payment types are avalible? Specificly, can one use paypal?

• picommanderpicommander Member UncommonPosts: 256

current options are Online Banking, Credit Card/Debit Card and Direct Debit.

So no to your Pay Pal question.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by picommander

current options are Online Banking, Credit Card/Debit Card and Direct Debit.

So no to your Pay Pal question.

Check the dates. A little late to be answering his qustion no? :) 

oops you are right (blame my glasses xD). Though my answer is still correct as of now. And you can indeed not see this info unless you are in the middle of the payment process. So could be still useful for somebody, don't you think so?

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32

More misinformation.

Paypal is a perfectly fine method of payment. In fact that is how I pay for my accounts. I actually prefer it since it is processed instantly.

You realized I corrected myself? Or what exactly was the "misinformation" part, would you mind quoting it? You probably missed this part: "And you can indeed not see this info unless you are in the middle of the payment process." So the PayPal option is (was?) not visible for "outsiders".
  • DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32

oops you are right (blame my glasses xD). Though my answer is still correct as of now. And you can indeed not see this info unless you are in the middle of the payment process. So could be still useful for somebody, don't you think so?

You corrected yourself on the fact that the "date was a little late". But then you continued to insist that your answer was correct, which it wasn't.

Considering this is supposedly a FAQ thread, how about we don't try to confuse people on important details such as payment methods, hmm?

Originally posted by Doomtec

You corrected yourself on the fact that the "date was a little late". But then you continued to insist that your answer was correct, which it wasn't.

Considering this is supposedly a FAQ thread, how about we don't try to confuse people on important details such as payment methods, hmm?

Ok my fault, I wasn't clear enough about that. I should have corrected my statement "so no about PayPal" cause it wasn't true. But is it really necessary when in my self-correction post I mentioned "And you can indeed not see this info unless you are in the middle of the payment process." which not only is the truth, it also shows that meanwhile I was quite aware about the PayPal option. So the origin of the confusion (and not only mine) stems mainly from the MO shop side that hides this option from outsiders (until they actually decide to pay). Meanwhile this might have changed but dunno I'm too lazy to check. And now it's your turn again with nitpicking but please try using a little logic next time.

• NerZuleNerZule Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Темный легион приветствует тебя! 

Мы боевая ПВП Конст Пачка в составе Клана Varangi. 

Наша цель - уничтожение врагов (в том числе превосходящего числом противника) за счет умения, слаженной работы, хорошего обмундирования и продуманной тактики.
    Основной упор делается на пвп в подземельях, но так же переодически деремся в поле.

Дисциплина, командная работа, пвп с врагами, клановые тренировки , трени 1 на 1, покорение различных подземелий, осады и победы! Все это ждёт тебя при вступлении к нам!

Мы ждем к себе в КП:
    1. Прежде всего адекватных ребят.
    2. Возраст от 20 лет.
    3. Средний прайм нашей КП с 20:00 до 0:00
    4. Умение владеть оружием/своим персонажем поощряется, но даже если ты совсем новичок в Mortal Online 2, мы тебя всему научим.
    5. По классам будет плюсом:
    а. Death Knight (человек-гибрид некромант)
    б. гном (танк) ПРИОРИТЕТ
    в. Человек маг элементализм(или чистый экуменикал)
    с. Гном маг (экуменикал)
    д. Эльф CDс даггером/копьем щитом

По вступлению, обращайтесь ко мне в личку, или в личку дискорда:
    @onizatoboipridut / storm#4699 / @helisonz