Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I try it?

Ggdude3Ggdude3 Member Posts: 4

I like RPGs and have only played a few, and am seriously  considering this one. 

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated.

Comments

• blotzblotz Member UncommonPosts: 99

shadowbane has a rich unique and interesting lore  ( backgroundstorry )

the same is true for the playable races

there is one lore server ( at least last time when i played )  which means  grouping guild / nation formining is enforced by  the lore ruleset

but you should allways keep in mind that this game is focused on pvp

in short  pvp first -- role playing second

on the other hand i had a lot of fun role playing on the lore server

i am out of game since a while allready so i dont know the political situation and cant tell you if roleplying guilds stand a chance atm ... by standing a chance i mean gettting destroyed or not

you can find out about the lore  on  http://chronicle.ubi.com/

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I play on Thurin, the most populated server and this game is alot of fun. It's free to download and play so why not give it a try? The graphics are old but the gameplay is excellent.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• EffectEffect Member UncommonPosts: 949

Originally posted by Ggdude3
    I like RPGs and have only played a few, and am seriously  considering this one. 
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

It might be to late but I would say no. The idea of this game and some of the gameplay elements in it were interesting. I enjoyed the lore and the idea of nation and city building as well. However that doesn't matter when you have one of the worse player communities in all mmorpgs. Not to say all Shadowbane players are bad but the majority are, especially when it comes to new players or low level players.

For all the issues Shadowbane as a game had (those SB.exe crashes were beyond annoying) I've always felt the biggest factor in the game not taking off and being reduced to what it is now was the actual players themselves. This game gave griefers and gankers free reign and it drove those that wanted and did enjoy PvP and the closeness that guilds and city building/protecting provided away. This game proved when left to their own devices players can not govern themselves. As much as some tried to and for a while succeeded there were always more that wanted to do nothing but hunt low levelers just because, make others gaming experience hell just because they thought it was fun. This game not only brought in some of the worse players and elements I felt but allowed them to shine and the result was that the game became a shell in a very fast amount of time.

Now that the game is free to play there doesn't seem to be a population left. From reading forums there seem to be some decent guilds around but like before the worse elements still are there. Even though it's free it's really not worth the time to download or even waste a few minutes on.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

This game gave griefers and gankers free reign and it drove those that wanted and did enjoy PvP and the closeness that guilds and city building/protecting provided away.

At it's core, this game is all about grieving. Not only grieving on a small scale where you gank individual people, but entire guilds grieving other guilds.

When I first started playing I hated all forms of grieving, but after spending some time in SB, I've been enlightened that PvP is enhanced when there is true hatred involved. It gives you a reason to hunt people down, refine your own skills, and bring more conflict and ultimately more fun for everyone else. More PvP and better quality PvP = good.

The answer to the OP is YES. You can't claim to be an MMO PvP fan until you have experience the chaos, the destruction, and outright brutality of Shadowbane.

• cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

pvp great ...graphics stink.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

* click to move

* very limited control customization

*  no proper mouse look

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------