Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts shared by those who love ranger class. Join me! /moved

nhuhdonhuhdo Member Posts: 27

Foreword

This post is aiming at setting up a bonfire, so folks are warmly welcome to gather in a circle around it and bring up their loved topic ( ONLY about range class either ranger or spell-weaver type). I set up the topic-limit since some folks are over-excited talking about sweetly memorised experience thus they might be wandering off the Core of this topic.

To be frank, throughout this post I might loosely use game technical terminology or even incorrect terms, prejudiced thoughts . Folks are encouraged to put me straight.

Discussion

I remember the old sweet touch of feeling since i happened to know ranger class thru Guilwars( 4 yrs ago ). Accompanied by a pet by your side, ranger is definitely pleasurable class to roll in long-term. And Guilwars successfully did a great task to satisfy my thirst in term of providing a dyamic pet- system which introduces a variety of pet types ranging from wolve, tiger, white tiger, bear,moa bird, linx, war hog ( which gives me a good chuckle by its animations ); Nightfall and Eye of the North even add up more and more in your favourite pet- collection. The great thing is Guildwars series offer you nicely responsive pet- control for what I admire, in comparison I'd say WAR is lesser for that matter. To extend this topic, I rolled Pirate of Caribean but did'nt tame a pet once, as well heard of WOW's pet- system but ain't tried it yet  thus thoughts end here, no further comments.

SO as to enrich this thread, I also enjoy range combat mechanic which is the core I'd like to hear or read more and more from you folks. As far as I recall in Guilwars ( coz I don't play no more ), the game offer 2 paths so that players can either choose long range or short range bow type. Folks sacrifce the effect of bow range instead gain a considerable boost up of shooting speed which means you loose arrows off string more often. Overall, there is no ingame alternative way of switching to melee hacking and slashing. Arenanet produce a pure breed of ranger for that matter. The mind- blowing thing is in some instances, rangers are more than welcome 'coz of their settig trap talent. More than any other games out there in the market place that I know of, heaps of snares ad traps are ever implemented. At the time as a trapper, I roughly had 8 skill slots filled by 6 abilities of  'snares and traps' sort plus 2 supportive skills. Rangers as trappers contribute vital role in some parts of the game. The cheesy thing is you are often asked of your build if intend to join a group.

To top up this topic, I'd like to discuss the aiming system implemented in range combat mechanic. Hmm... does Guildwars use target auto-lock ( not sure, it's damn long time for my memory now ), but I was able stray arrows and spells. Target auto-lock seems to be running out of its fassion, I ain't tried Tabula Rasa, but it appears folks aren't happy with the aiming system the game offers( isn't it auto-lock or that sort ? ) . Well, as I know of Age of Conan as well employ cross-hair aiming in first view person, I gotta admit it's a piece of trash ( or didn't I master it )... I can merely strike an an arrow at someone's butt if he stay stationary, it's a complete trash in this mode hence I'd rather stick to auto-lock  for that matter. Cross-hair is not new or innovative thing in gaming industry, as a matter of fact It has been existent for as long as we can imagine, still It's a hassle for MMORPG designers and developers.

Besides I did some research whatever games that attemp to bring this matter to table, among those TCoS is soft spot to lean on, they bring forth the aiming system named as ' Reticule ' . It's rather complex at first,looks like they put lots of thoughts into it, surely I' ll give the game a fair go. Haven't talked of, DF is absolutely on the list. But I fear we won't get a full sense of complacency, as of Oblivion( a nice game ) I can barely execute one type of magic at a time like .... left click for staff / sword swinging, righ click designated for spell-weaving, as if I ever want to switch a spell, I gotta hit a button C( or someting ). There is laggy gap between 2 excecutes which makes the game not fluidic in my opinion.

As a player wish best luck to MMORPG' ees and ers. And of course, to the rangers I raise my beer.

Con, Thank you for participating.

Comments

• BattleFelonBattleFelon Member UncommonPosts: 483

Absolutely agree Nhuhdo. I've played a huntard in WOW, ranger class in Star Wars Galaxies, and currently have a Squig Herder in WAR. None of these classes have given me quite the joy and sense of freedom as I have with my GW ranger. The thing I miss most in WAR is the ability to create synergy with your pet's attacks. Yes, I recognize the SH has some skills that give him a boost when his pet strikes, but it's not the same. For one, a GW ranger can survive in melee for short periods - while the skirmish classes of WAR (SH and Shadow Warrior) really can't. You also don't have the same control over your pet, or as much attachment.

My only complaint about GW rangers is people only want 1 for mission runs usually. I also play necromancers, but if I tell someone I'm a curse-specced necro, they'll invite me into a group even if there's already a minion master. Meanwhile, I'll say "I'm a marksman" and be told "sorry, we already have a ranger."  "Yeah," I reply, "he's a beastmaster. I'm a marksman. I bring different skills to the table." 

"Sorry, already have a ranger. Can you log in with a warrior?!?"

• buden-ninjabuden-ninja Member UncommonPosts: 53

Yeah, ranger was my favourite class in GW. Loved playing it. I liked interrupting spell-casters and spreading conditions, though. I retired from GW but I miss my ranger, Filthy.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

I absolutely loved my ranger. Interrupting was ace and the elite barrage was pretty sweet. I remembered when I used to farm FoW forest, using the nifty tactic of a "free chest run" to help me get there. The spiders used to sometimes get frustrating, but when I unleaeshed the couple of interrupts I had they were dead meat.

Oh and running people to missions in the desert, I really liked it when I ran newbies since they used to be bewildered by my "skills," especially when I used Healing hands in tight spots and they'd be like "WOW, you pwn!!" My ranger's name was Amazon Stinger.

I've retired GW now but waiting for GW 2, I have my doubts about GW2 being even almost as good a prophecies but sod it, NCsoft proved everyone wrong with GW, I really hope they can do it again.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• Shaggy67Shaggy67 Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Man1ac

I absolutely loved my ranger. Interrupting was ace and the elite barrage was pretty sweet. I remembered when I used to farm FoW forest, using the nifty tactic of a "free chest run" to help me get there. The spiders used to sometimes get frustrating, but when I unleaeshed the couple of interrupts I had they were dead meat.
    Oh and running people to missions in the desert, I really liked it when I ran newbies since they used to be bewildered by my "skills," especially when I used Healing hands in tight spots and they'd be like "WOW, you pwn!!" My ranger's name was Amazon Stinger.
    I've retired GW now but waiting for GW 2, I have my doubts about GW2 being even almost as good a prophecies but sod it, NCsoft proved everyone wrong with GW, I really hope they can do it again.

I love the ranger class as well. I can pull mobs to my henchies,heros or real teammates. I can  run people to where they need to go provided I've have it on my map. The bows allow for me to act like a sniper from long range or be effective at mid or close range as well. It's just a matter of choosing the right bow for the job. Interrupting is a very effective tactic, used wisely it can cripple the monsters ability to attack. When doing PvE you learn to try to have a balance in your skill set especially going into new places.

Poison can be effective in certain cases but what if your opponent is impervious to poison no skin or flesh. If all of your skills revolve around poison solely then you better have a lunch packed for the battle. I'm not saying it is impossible to win the battle but it will be a hard fought battle in any case. I'm smiling as I say this because I think we all run into this situation at one time or another.

I like the ability to own pets and have a companion in the battles. My pet is my guardian in battle and with the right skills can be a very powerful guardian. You  have a wide range of pets to choose from and you can even accquire special pets as a reward for completing special holiday quests.

I have just acquired the legendary barrage skill and  I'm looking forward to incorporating it into my arsenal of skills.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Shaggy67

If all of your skills revolve around poison solely then you better have a lunch packed for the battle.

Haha, I like that expression.

Yea I know what you mean, if they don't appreciate a good old ranger, we'll punish them in PvP

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

Originally posted by Man1ac

Originally posted by Shaggy67

If all of your skills revolve around poison solely then you better have a lunch packed for the battle.

Haha, I like that expression.

Yea I know what you mean, if they don't appreciate a good old ranger, we'll punish them in PvP

Thanks Man1ac glad you liked it.

Anyways I'll try to share a screenshot of a new pet. In this year's Wintersday they added special quests in Eye of The North. These were similar to the ones in Lion's Arch. After you completed all four quests, there was a special reward for rangers. You had to go to Gwen's garden and you would be able to find this pet wondering around. There was also an animal traner close by so that you could trade your current pet for this new one.

Finally, took a min to find the right code to work.  This is known as a jingle bear in case you couldn't read the letters. The sparkle text may not be easy to read in this size. Hope you like the screenshot.   It was easy to get just had a few scratches is all.   Lol. One of the quests took quite a bit of teamwork to get through it. It would be very hard to solo that quest even with a group of people it wasn't easy.

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Like the most Prophecies characters they are "defined" in the way that they fill a role for pretty much every area, both for PvE and PvP - unlike later professions such as Paragons and Ritualists which are far from usable everywhere. The ability to strafe arrows, and other projectiles, does really add a lot to the game making it much more a matter of skill. I usually bring a interruptbot ranger for PvE but apart from that I find their damage quite lacking in comparison to other professions. Much unlike other games ranged dps class the Ranger in GW focuses more on strong interrupts and pressuring through poison rather than sitting in the midline and mashing skills to deal damage.