Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My thoughts on WOTLK in two words: Too Easy

2»

Comments

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by jvxmtg

WotLK "feels" easy because you're an experienced player, but for those who do not have the same battle scars that you have, it's far too difficult.
    Why do you think that tanking and AE is a big deal for you? Because you already know what works and what doesn't works and that knowledge makes things seems easier.
    I'ts like the first time you try to open a medicine bottle, without the knowledge that you have to push it down before twisting it to open, you'll still be there effortlessly trying to twist it open. But after knowing what to do, you can open many bottles without effort. Same concept.

This way of thinking would apply if this expansion had content for low level players as well, but you would hope that an expansion focusing primarily on higher level content would be more difficult then the previous content. You would hope the players have become more skilled and experienced, but I know this definitely isn't the case with the majority of WoW players.

I'm not suggesting a massive spike in difficulty, but equivelant content to the last expansion should be more difficult. Such as level 71 zones/instances should be more difficult then the 61 zones/instances and not backwards. While level 80 content better be harder then 70 content.

• PhilssPhilss Member Posts: 433

Yep i feel the same , im playing a feral druid and tanking when the swipe was only 3 target was challenging . I was happy when they changed it but now i realise that its just too easy mod .

I dont even bother marking all mob , lock are just spaming SoC etc . Ive done nexus and UK so far and the only boss who had some kind of strat to suceed was the last boss in nexus but still nothing compared to the old school 40 man raiding stuff .

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Wanted to report back since I made it to level 80. The game for me has become too easy. My guild has already completed most of the content without wiping a single time. I rate this expansion just too darn easy. Agree with me or not, that is my personal opinion.

I feel like I feel about almost every MMORPG I have played in the past that expansions ruin these games. I really disliked TBC and I am becoming not very fond of WOTLK. I wish there was a classic EQ server and a classic WoW server. That would serve my gaming needs. After all that content gave my guild trouble we never did get to even enter the old Nax. Give me back the Molten Core, BWL, Onyxia, etc etc

I want some strategy to me gaming. It's not it being easy to tank that bothers me. What bothers me is there is hardly any need for competent play such as CC, positioning etc. I am interested in hearing more from players that have reached most of the content now and their feelings on what WoW has become.

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

Originally posted by jvxmtg

WotLK "feels" easy because you're an experienced player, but for those who do not have the same battle scars that you have, it's far too difficult.
    Why do you think that tanking and AE is a big deal for you? Because you already know what works and what doesn't works and that knowledge makes things seems easier.
    I'ts like the first time you try to open a medicine bottle, without the knowledge that you have to push it down before twisting it to open, you'll still be there effortlessly trying to twist it open. But after knowing what to do, you can open many bottles without effort. Same concept.

This way of thinking would apply if this expansion had content for low level players as well, but you would hope that an expansion focusing primarily on higher level content would be more difficult then the previous content. You would hope the players have become more skilled and experienced, but I know this definitely isn't the case with the majority of WoW players.

I'm not suggesting a massive spike in difficulty, but equivelant content to the last expansion should be more difficult. Such as level 71 zones/instances should be more difficult then the 61 zones/instances and not backwards. While level 80 content better be harder then 70 content.

See your thinking is totally off.  not low level, low endgame experience.  TBC endgame was much more accessible than old wow.  Many more people saw end game instances in TCB than old school.  This mean more players  have end game experience. 

In the new expansion, the heroics were toned down a bit to help those who still didn't get end game experience before the end of TBC.  But for those many new TBC endgamers I was talking about, it seems like a cakewalk (because for them it is).  But for the low to non-experienced casual endgamers, it is still hard.  If you can't understand that or accept that, furthing communication won't help you get that.

Lets not even get into the gear differences between various stages of the game!

• hawaiimanhawaiiman Member Posts: 70

I think that is the basic consenses throught the WoW community. That this game is just too easy. I think it is because they are trying to target every age level and if they made it too hard the kids that played the game would just give up on it.  Therefore by making it easy they suit the kiddies needs and they think that mature gamers will also like the flow of the game and easiness of it. Oh well what can you do really, WoW is the best selling mmo ever they must be doing something right.

• Originally posted by mackdawg19

O. People are soon going to realize that its nothing but a revolving wheel of gear.

I am sorry, but if people haven't figured that out over the past 4 years they are never going to figure that out. Everyone who has seen the obvious evolve since the first MC runs either accepts it or quits. If you accept it and moan and groan I believe you have bigger problems than the people who are oblivious to it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by hawaiiman

I think that is the basic consenses throught the WoW community. That this game is just too easy. I think it is because they are trying to target every age level and if they made it too hard the kids that played the game would just give up on it.  Therefore by making it easy they suit the kiddies needs and they think that mature gamers will also like the flow of the game and easiness of it. Oh well what can you do really, WoW is the best selling mmo ever they must be doing something right.

Wow are aiming for their biggest target group and that is right. If they made everything a lot harder it wouldn't be so big. If they suddenly made the game really harder they would lose more fans than Indiana Jones did in his last movie....

The thing is that Wow would have been a lot harder if the first dev team didn't quited under development of the game. But now they do have a really big audience and only a moron wouldn't give them what they wan't, Blizz are earning more money than any other game ever.

If it is too easy for you, just get something else, then you are not the people Blizz are aiming for. They are aiming for at least 75% of the market, people who like a harder game are already playing something harder in most cases. And with the market I mean P2P MMOs, games like Guildwars isn't counted in there, they don't charge monthly.

I don't really see how Blizz could do things any other way while keeping their subs up.

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by hawaiiman

Wow are aiming for their biggest target group and that is right. If they made everything a lot harder it wouldn't be so big. If they suddenly made the game really harder they would lose more fans than Indiana Jones did in his last movie....

The thing is that Wow would have been a lot harder if the first dev team didn't quited under development of the game. But now they do have a really big audience and only a moron wouldn't give them what they wan't, Blizz are earning more money than any other game ever.

If it is too easy for you, just get something else, then you are not the people Blizz are aiming for. They are aiming for at least 75% of the market, people who like a harder game are already playing something harder in most cases. And with the market I mean P2P MMOs, games like Guildwars isn't counted in there, they don't charge monthly.

I don't really see how Blizz could do things any other way while keeping their subs up.

I am not speaking about how easy WoW has always been, I know it has been easy. I am speaking of the recent expansion which made the game even easier than the original game. It is now too easy for most people. I can't find really any challenge left in it. 

Also as other has stated, higher level content should get more difficult not easier than the first instances such as Deadmines.

• ppsykeppsyke Member Posts: 39

i am level 80 atm,

the dungeons are easier but bassicly this was what was asked in the the forums by players ..

iut's better to go through a dungeon in 30 mins max better than old ones where it took about an hour or two with bad groups.

people say it's easier now but i decline to agree, i believe people think it's easier because wotlk is a hell of a lot more put together than tbc..

the quests have a better storyline one that feel that your actually part of and that the world changes around you when you complete certain quests, which indeed is better than kill>hand in > ooh same thing again for another quest...

it did not feel like questing when i was leveling, more that i was feeling a part of wow *meditates and hums*

i do think ther is alot more content to be added, hopefully more factions dungeons and hopefully a new area allready exalted with 2 of the new factions which is surprising due to onjly exalted with with 1 from tbc cos i am lazy, i hope they add more swords though i am a sword rogue but stuck with a fist main weapon due to lack of swords

"waddle Waddle"

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

But, everything in WoW is easy. Its probably the easiest MMo to have ever been made.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

www.wowinsider.com/2008/12/08/ghostcrawler-on-dual-spec-and-loot-tied-to-achievements/

The other interesting note (Ghostcrawler) makes is that they don't want to spend several months of development time on content that less than 5% of players will ever see.

One can connect their statements that they "won't ever make an instance as hard as Sunwell again" and then this statement together and form the conclusion that only 5% of players saw Sunwell.

I was reading this commentary over at WOWinsider and was surprised that Blizzard doesnt want to make Sunwell-style content *ever* again

I understand why but that's got be a disspointment to people that enjoy tough raiding challenges

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448
    Originally posted by SignusM

But, everything in WoW is easy. Its probably the easiest MMo to have ever been made.

And the 'Sweeping Generalisation Award' goes to...

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by qombi

Originally posted by blondeh

TBC was too easy aswell pre level 70. Hell even the early level 70 content was very easy.

Yes I will agree with you that previous content was easy as well but the point I am making is they have went too far this time. Now it is too easy to enjoy.

Ummm.....

Yes, I would hate to play a game that made it easy to enjoy. Now I know why I've been anjoying WotLK so much....damn, suckered in to enjoying a game, once again....what was I thinking?!?

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by Zorndorf

Originally posted by SignusM

<<<<<PvP rated gear with a ladder attached to it. Name one other MMORPG where this can be found ?>>>

You can't . Hardest PvP game with related gear ever.

And yes I think they exagerated with this PvP gear only available to 0.5% of the players. (full deadly gladiator sets and ditto title).

Much too hardcore if you ask me. Certainly too hardcore for your Wow trolling taste.: Now I realise why you don't play Wow, you simply are not up to it.  Probably a PvP arena rating of ... sub 1200 and the laughing stock in town. So much easier to troll Wow forums than to always loose all those matches in Wow.

Owned and by a wide margin this time

Are you actually using Arena play as a testament to the difficulty level of WoW?  glorified Dueling is what makes the game difficult? 

Really? 

God how low the MMO genre has fallen that Dueling is the epitome of difficulty. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

Yes, WotLK is much easier than TBC.

The elitists will go on and on about their hatred for WoW while Blizzard laughs at them all the way to the bank.

Yeah, you can accuse Blizzard of being "greedy" all you want but all businesses are.

If Eve or Warhammer had 12 million subscribers do you really think they would be more noble about it? Not a chance in hell.

They would do what Blizzard is doing right now to keep those millions of subscribers: playing to the most common denominator.

What I love the most about all this is the hypocrisy. First Blizzard was criticzed for making content that only the top 5% could do, now they are being criticized for making content for the majority. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

What I love the most about all this is the hypocrisy.
    First Blizzard was criticzed for making content that only the top 5% could do,
    now they are being criticized for making content for the majority. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

cant please everyone 

Yes, WotLK is much easier than TBC.
    The elitists will go on and on about their hatred for WoW while Blizzard laughs at them all the way to the bank.
    Yeah, you can accuse Blizzard of being "greedy" all you want but all businesses are.
    If Eve or Warhammer had 12 million subscribers do you really think they would be more noble about it? Not a chance in hell.
    They would do what Blizzard is doing right now to keep those millions of subscribers: playing to the most common denominator.
    What I love the most about all this is the hypocrisy. First Blizzard was criticzed for making content that only the top 5% could do, now they are being criticized for making content for the majority. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

I don't know if you are directing this at me but I will assume you are since I made the original post. I don't consider myself some "elitist". In fact I have very little time to play these games these days and I am by no means a excellent skillful player. I am just stating a fact that the game is now too easy for me to enjoy. That is how I feel when I play the game now and the reason my subscription is ending. I play games for fun, not for some "elite" status ... how is one an elitist in a game anyhow?

I don't think you can call what I wrote hypocrisy considering I have never once made the other statement you mentioned in your post. I never once criticized Blizzard for making the past content except TBC but that was for different reasons. I disliked TBC for the theme they used and taking the game in a different direction focused on arenas. In the original I was enjoying myself and did not spend too much time criticizing something I was enjoying. : P

If the most people find the game at the right challenge level now then so be it. I must be a minority on this but I am here to post my opinions of the expansion and to listen to nice folks like you on how you feel about it. Thanks for the comments.

Edit: Clearly by my avatar you can see I am no elitist .. I am merely hardcore ..... you will have to see Cabe2323 above you to rub elbows with the elite according to their avatar status on this site. : D I made a funny!

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939
    Originally posted by qombi

Edit: Clearly by my avatar you can see I am no elitist .. I am merely hardcore ..... you will have to see Cabe2323 above you to rub elbows with the elite according to their avatar status on this site. : D I made a funny!

Obviously Carmen Electra is super Elite. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• trevornortrevornor Member Posts: 154

Well, just an update. Got to level 74 now, running around the Howling Fjord. Though a level or two above the area, I remeber back in TBC that any mission I tried with my shaman that was 2 or more player (because of elite mobs) and I would not have a chance, even with a few level above the mission (it being green to me). In the WotLK, I am soloing those type of missions, without help. I've done 6 elite monsters so far and little problem. (most equal level), even 2 of the elite rock giants in Giant's run at the same time. (though I did blow all my cooldowns)

And for the record, I am not a raider or gear grinder. I am a casual (2-3 hours max a day) with little purple gear. So it's not because I am overgeared.

I don't know a better definition of easier when I can go from not being able to solo elites to taking them on regularly (even two at a time).

Still playing and looking but so far, I find both good and bad about the expansion.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    Originally posted by trevornor

And for the record, I am not a raider or gear grinder. I am a casual (2-3 hours max a day) with little purple gear. So it's not because I am overgeared.

Actually, you are overgeared.

Blizzard stated several times that the leveling instances and quests would be at a difficulty suited for people in green gear not epic.

• trevornortrevornor Member Posts: 154

Originally posted by trevornor

Actually, you are overgeared.

Blizzard stated several times that the leveling instances and quests would be at a difficulty suited for people in green gear not epic.

Just for the record, most of the gear I have, are quest rewards/instance drops from WotLK, with I think 1 or 2 purples (cloak and ring if memory serves) from Kara. The rest are all loot drops from the Fjord and Borean, or from the basic 4 beginning 5 man instances (Nexas, the one in Fjord and the two where the spiders are) So are they over gearing the rewards in the new areas?

Check out Zalcaan/IRunetotem I believe

If I am "overgeared" I hate to see what they expected as "normal gear" to make these areas hard.....