Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Save TR /moved

CappelliCappelli Member Posts: 3

"Have you lost your MMO? Say have you spent countless hours grinding and farming, to make the best Character just to be shut down by the game provider, because profits were low. Then here is your chance for change, the web site WWW.changingwind.org/savetr/news.php is the gamer based news site made to save the SCI FI game Tabula rasa. After 10 full years of development and the failure to Advertize this superb game is scheduled to be shut down and lost to the game industry for good. Yet we feel this game has a real chance to be great in the hands of the players who can focus real time to this single MMO and not 6-7 like the developer NC soft. So we are asking the gaming communities to spend 5 min post an idea, give resource Ideas , collectively or as an individual , help us save Tabula rasa and who knows your favorite MMO next."

Comments

• Jefferson81Jefferson81 Member Posts: 730

Why save a game that no one wants to play?

It's not like it's an endangered species or something.

• CappelliCappelli Member Posts: 3

its not that no one wants to play it it's that NCsoft is stupid and didn't advertise it at all

• AmpallangAmpallang Member Posts: 396

I dont think you will find many MMO players that hadn't heard of TR.  I feel that you will more likely find that after listening to friends who had tried it out, people decided they didnt want to buy it.  That is my case.

If you are not being responded to directly, you are probably on my ignore list.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Cappelli

its not that no one wants to play it it's that NCsoft is stupid and didn't advertise it at all

Actually i think you will find this is why no one is playing it

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Stages of grief:

1. Denial

2. Anger

3. Bargaining

4. Depression

5. Acceptance

I'd list that campaign under the bargaining banner. You are moving along quicker than I expected. Then again, it could still be denial, in which case, you have a long way to go.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

There are so many awesome mmorpg mechanics in Trasa.  So many great memories, moments and story.  Wasted talent. 

My belief is the game failed because it was released about 6-10 months to early.  There are games that have many features that are still babies, but trasa's features were still in the womb.  I played the game hardcore with a very hardcore clan,  Digital Marines.  And when you are playing to max level and the whole play time, ,all you here from the developers is nothing new, just a whole year of fixing the game that is broken, Everyone will leave and never return. 

So many systems were beyond weak and the systems in the game that made it great and everyone loved, they were also just babies.  They never built on anything they just fixed and fixed and fixed. 

It took about 2-3 months for majority of players to max out levels.  Thats when we all left.  Some of us waited another month to hear of anything new.  But then it became a ghost game.  And a broken one at that.  It was already dead.

It is so sad because if you took the same game and gave it to the right publisher and development team,  it wouldve have succeeded.  And F U X Richard Garriot for spending on a stupid space flight instead of his own reputation and game.  That 30 million wouldve gotten us Class PAU's, player housing,  PVP arenas.  and more story and content.  That 30 million was prob all trasa needed.  I hope he gets spit on by all gamers and game developers. 

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

Everyone and their mothers have heard about this game, TR was on the news of my country also with the operation inmortality, and that's the fist time I see  a MMORPG in the news here (other than WoW). So yes, it was advertised, everyone knows about it, but people didn't play it.

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I had high hopes for the game... but after about an hour in the beta, and an hour in the trial when they released one... it just wasnt anything that caught me.

It honestly felt like city of heroes / villians with guns, and while mildly entertaining the game didnt have any "Hooks" too keep you playing.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Cappelli

No it is no one wants to play it. Plenty of people played and quit. TR went down 5k subscriptions in the last quarter alone. It does not have low profits as you claim, it has none it is losing money. Low profits would be a blessing.

Yes I saw this idea on PTR the plan mentions buying 75% of the game from NCSoft and the guy with the idea says they could have 1 million subs by next year. Now that is the biggest fantasy of all time. This game is a little under 30k subs now and he plans to have a million in a year? The guy with that plan has always been a little nutty, this idea proves he really lives in game world he plays in.

• docshadydocshady Member Posts: 8

You wanna save it?  Convince NCSoft to release it to the gamer community as open source.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by Knifo
    And F U X Richard Garriot for spending on a stupid space flight instead of his own reputation and game. That 30 million wouldve gotten us Class PAU's, player housing, PVP arenas. and more story and content. That 30 million was prob all trasa needed. I hope he gets spit on by all gamers and game developers.

His money he can spend it how he wants. I hope you learn to deal with your anger issues.

I played T.R for 18 months - 9 in beta, 9 in release. At the end of the day (max level) there just wasnt anything for me to do.

There were some great mechanics in T.R, loved the portals, combat, cover etc. Hated the crafting. Liked the stories - but the quest/morals was crap there were no consequences.

Player housing - stupid idea. I think it needed - factions so quests would mean something, different quest lines for replayability, Bane as a playable race (PvP). PAU's never liked the idea.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

And F U X Richard Garriot for spending on a stupid space flight instead of his own reputation and game. That 30 million wouldve gotten us Class PAU's, player housing, PVP arenas. and more story and content. That 30 million was prob all trasa needed. I hope he gets spit on by all gamers and game developers.

His money he can spend it how he wants. I hope you learn to deal with your anger issues.

Woah! Wrong anwser!

Lets say you are a... plumber. I pay you to install some pipes in my house. You take the money I pay you, never install the pipes and run off to spend the money at the nearest strip club. Am I going to just say "oh well its his money he can spend it however he wants!"

NO! Because its not your money until you do the job you were paid to do. NCsoft gave Richard Garriot that money to produce Tabula Rasa, which he didn't do because he was off screwing around in space. He didn't earn that money, he pretty much stole it.

I agree with Knifo. Richard Garriot better hope he never runs into any former TR players on the street... or in any dark alley ways.

• ChlodwigChlodwig Member Posts: 150

There are so many awesome mmorpg mechanics in Trasa.  So many great memories, moments and story.  Wasted talent. 
    My belief is the game failed because it was released about 6-10 months to early.  There are games that have many features that are still babies, but trasa's features were still in the womb.  I played the game hardcore with a very hardcore clan,  Digital Marines.  And when you are playing to max level and the whole play time, ,all you here from the developers is nothing new, just a whole year of fixing the game that is broken, Everyone will leave and never return. 
    So many systems were beyond weak and the systems in the game that made it great and everyone loved, they were also just babies.  They never built on anything they just fixed and fixed and fixed. 
    It took about 2-3 months for majority of players to max out levels.  Thats when we all left.  Some of us waited another month to hear of anything new.  But then it became a ghost game.  And a broken one at that.  It was already dead.

It is so sad because if you took the same game and gave it to the right publisher and development team,  it wouldve have succeeded.  And F U X Richard Garriot for spending on a stupid space flight instead of his own reputation and game.  That 30 million wouldve gotten us Class PAU's, player housing,  PVP arenas.  and more story and content.  That 30 million was prob all trasa needed.  I hope he gets spit on by all gamers and game developers. 

So true it hurts.

They were even revamping the skill makeup of classes way until about 8 months after release. First the Engineer who lost Wormhole and got... whatever pointless skill he got, then the whole mess with the scout (spy/sniper) skills who lost something and got a retainer instead... it's just not funny. And don't make me start about the mess of quest bugs past lv 30. There was a whole quest line so buggy around level 40 that I simply decided to ignore it and grind my way to 50. Just to realize that, well, that's it. Nothing left to be done.

What killed that game was a release 6 months (I dare say a year) before it was ready for primetime. And behold, today it would actually be great. Released now it had a good chance to be a great success. Yes, endgame content is still quite threadbare, but the killer bugs are out of the way, the skill sets are done, balance is ... well, could be better, but that's a little tweak here and there. Devs could concentrate on creating some new instances, finally get PvP in (the freakin' maps are even done, I took a look at them and they look quite ok. Battlefield-style combat but they're good for now!), create some goodies for maxlevel players...

Yet it was released before it was mature and now we're looking at a game that could have been great but is dead.

Well, maybe, if there will come anything good out of it, it will be that some studios might learn a little from this mess. Release a game, especially an MMO, when it is done. You invest millions into years of development, hoping to run a game for a few years to actually achive your ROI. Don't cut it short by a year and hope people will come, play and most of all stay. They won't. They will look at it, they will decide that it isn't done yet and they will leave. They will not return, though. They will leave, they will move on to the next MMO until they find one that is finished and they will play that one.

It's not like there is any shortage of MMOs these days.

• abhaighabhaigh Member Posts: 390

TR failed because it was released too early, too empty, and cost too much on a regular basis

it simply wasn't worth the ongoing subscription cost

if they cut the monthly fees in half people would go back, though they'd only stay till they'd levelled all alts to 50 and had nothing else to do

I like the idea of releaseing the code to the community - and open source version of TR woul end up rocking

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Actually, people would've stayed around in TR. If there was actually  more thing's to do in the game. Besides do the same quests over and over, and scratch your ass end game.

PvP was bad, didn't make sense to be in the game at all. The only redeeming factor was fighting and defending CP's. But one can only do that for so long, before the straw breaks the camels back.

Dev's had enough time to add some meaning-full content. I was hoping for Earth and would've returned to check it out, but we all know.  

I would want this game in the hand's of a more competent dev team. Really the only thing to crumble this game was content, and dev's listening to the wrong people.

Originally posted by abhaigh

TR failed because it was released too early, too empty, and cost too much on a regular basis
    it simply wasn't worth the ongoing subscription cost
    if they cut the monthly fees in half people would go back, though they'd only stay till they'd levelled all alts to 50 and had nothing else to do
    I like the idea of releaseing the code to the community - and open source version of TR woul end up rocking

Even at half price why would people level all alts to 50 on the same not so thrilling content you already went through? One time to 50 was enough for me and obviously many others.

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i dont think its that bad but niether is it worth paying for . offer it as a free to play incentive with another play nc mmo maybe ,i would think we ll see vanguard go the same way too soon .

Originally posted by googajoob7

i dont think its that bad but niether is it worth paying for . offer it as a free to play incentive with another play nc mmo maybe ,i would think we ll see vanguard go the same way too soon .

What makes you think this? According to the devs the trial was helpful to the game. SOE does not close games.

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

Originally posted by Raltar
    Woah! Wrong anwser!
    Lets say you are a... plumber. I pay you to install some pipes in my house. You take the money I pay you, never install the pipes and run off to spend the money at the nearest strip club. Am I going to just say "oh well its his money he can spend it however he wants!"
    NO! Because its not your money until you do the job you were paid to do. NCsoft gave Richard Garriot that money to produce Tabula Rasa, which he didn't do because he was off screwing around in space. He didn't earn that money, he pretty much stole it.
    I agree with Knifo. Richard Garriot better hope he never runs into any former TR players on the street... or in any dark alley ways.

SO you are suggesting either R.G stole money from NCsoft for his space trip, or that NCSoft funded the trip - neither of those things happened. If you think otherwise - provide a link.

The salary he earns as a developer is his to do what ever he wants with. As is the money he gets by selling his shares in NCSoft, the money they paid him when they bought his company, and any money he had prior to that or from his other ventures.

NCSoft did not fund his space adventure - they thought about it - then said no. So again - the money he spent on his trip - was his personal money from his bank account - not money anted up by NCSoft and again he can do whatever he wants with it.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Well the money he made from NcSoft of course, helped fund his space trip. Even though he used the money out of his own wallet. But i can understand  how one can think he stole money from NcSoft.

It costed 70million just to make this mess.. and to only have it close down after a year. Anyone could see he just gave up on it and stopped caring about TR... he got to go to space!! Rather then go down with the sinking ship, he bailed out.. right from the start.  Then a incopetent Starr Long was left in charge with a dev team.. that could only seem to do ..well nothing at all, but scratch their ass. So he could just go to space, come back... and leave. Next thing after, Tabula Rasa is closing in the end of Feburary.

It's hard not to think RG bled NcSoft for what their worth... to play spaceman... not at all. It came out his pocket, but in the end he showed... truely who he is. A one trick pony, whom did all he could.. just to go to space. It might seem real stupid to think that. But he's shown me, nothing else to believe otherwise. Not from the day he wasn't sure what this game should be, to the day he QQ bout beta, till the day he left.

"Good thing's happen to whom that are patient." He got his dream... the jackass.