Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

College student commits suicide while people watch online

ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

That is messed up.  The article says he had bipolar disorder.  Did he do it for the attention?  The problem with that is that he can't revel in it.  The sad thing is that there were people who were watching it unfold who dared him to do it.  I only hope they were of the mentality that they didn't really expect him to do it.

This is really a bizarre event, somewhat surrealistic.  I hope it doesn't become a common event.

Comments

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Stuff like this is really sad, and unfortunately it is becoming more common.  The people must have thought he was bluffing, unless they actually wanted him to commit suicide; either way, you never truly know the person on the otherside.

• declaredemerdeclaredemer Member Posts: 2,698

It is so troubling, in so many ways, there is little to comment on it.

The culture of myspace, mytube, myfaceoninternetbook, web cams, etc. is just perverse to me.  It really is.  SOmething to it is not normal, and it is infects people - encourages people to reveal and do things, on a web cam, that would not ordinarily do.

Look at this forum.  I say things here I would never say in person, and it is why I post here.  We can take on positions and do things we ordinarily would not do.  People take this stuff, sometimes, seriously and, unfortunately and tragically, to extraordinary extremes.

I wish I could say otherwise.  I really wish I could.  But I cannot.  If there was no web cam, would have the suicide been committed?  HOnestly, we cannot say, but I dare suggest (dare suggest) we ask that.  I am not trying to blame the web cam.  I am saying this culture exists where this is, as the article mentions, and I think someone said it in a post, becoming increasingly common.  This is so awful.  And there are no solutions, either, other than addressing, I think, this webspace show-all on the internet culture. People do things online they ordinarily would not do, and do things on web cams they ordinarily would not do.  It is something rarely, if ever, addressed.  Maybe situations like this will get us thinking again.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Those who encouraged him can get prosecuted and sent to jail.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Precusor

Those who encouraged him can get prosecuted and sent to jail.

And should be. Anyone who watched, and didn't notify the authorities just in case, deserves an accessory charge at the very least.

• hadub1hadub1 Member Posts: 116

The article says he dies from a mix of prescription drugs.  Drugs prescribed to him for manic depresion.  The drugs listed included opiets.  Since when are opiets prescribed as a mental health medication? 

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by hadub1

The article says he dies from a mix of prescription drugs.  Drugs prescribed to him for manic depresion.  The drugs listed included opiets.  Since when are opiets prescribed as a mental health medication? 

Many medications are opiates or derived from opiates. Codeine, morphine, etc.

Anyway, if you read it again, he was found with opiates AND his medication for bi-polar. They're not saying his particular medication itself was an opiate.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Things like this I feel are setting society as a whole back quite a few years.  Reading things like this makes me wonder how we ever got to where we are now.  If this was a more common thing in early human evolution I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be where we are at now.

Also, I think the people who were goading him and watching him commit this should be charged and jailed.  Prosecution to the fullest extent with no leniency I say.  Shit like this is just playin disturbing to me.  Are people really that bored that they need to see death?  If you're really at that point where the only excitement you can get is watching someone take their own life maybe you should do us all a favor and take yours as well.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Who cares...

I can never understand how people feel sorry for people who commit suicide, which is one of the most selfish acts a person can do, it makes no effort to take into account the feelings of the people around you, friends, family, loved ones.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• ChiramChiram Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Who cares...

I can never understand how people feel sorry for people who commit suicide, which is one of the most selfish acts a person can do, it makes no effort to take into account the feelings of the people around you, friends, family, loved ones.

Exaclty, good riddance. Have fun in one of the 8,000 hells from the thousands of religions who say suicide is bad. Take your pick.

• ahnonamisahnonamis Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by Chiram

Who cares...

Exaclty, good riddance. Have fun in one of the 8,000 hells from the thousands of religions who say suicide is bad. Take your pick.

I believe most people are more upset for his family than they are for the actual person who committed suicide.

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

Who cares...

Maybe because they are incapable of doing so. Chronic depression, borderline syndrome, bipolar disorder and many other mental disorders - especially if left untreated by medication or therapy - make a person do things like these without regard for others, simply because they can't in some cases and certain periods of time. You can't really see it as selfish because it's not that they don't make the effort of taking account other people's feelings, it's because many of them are unable to do so. You likely wouldn't blame someone with Down's syndrome for being who they are, and you likely wouldn't tell an asthma patient to 'quit it and breathe like normal people' when he/she is having an attack.

Mental disorders are very real. It saddens me to see how many people do not take them as serious as somatic sickness people can 'see'.

I'm not blaming you for thinking like that, however! You're by far not the only one. :)

• spinach8puffspinach8puff Member CommonPosts: 864
  • FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

The problem with diagnosing certain mental disorders as Bi-polar, manic depressive, etc. as a disease, it gives some of these people an excuse to feel like they don't need to account for their actions.

I've been dating a girl over a year who is clinically bi-polar, love her to death, but at times I find her using her being bi-polar as an excuse as to why she does not feel the necessity to control her emotions. Or why she can act a certain way that for example, myself can't. Her reasoning is that because she's bi-polar its so much harder to control things. Which I don't doubt at all, but instead of learning to have to control ourselves as many of us do, people who are perscriped with having a mental disease use it as a get out of jail free card.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Who cares...

You have no idea what you are talking about.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by altairzq

Who cares...

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Well, your keen astute rebuttle clearly put me in my place.

Whatever medical jargon gets hashed up to explain away people killing themselvest, just because somebody dies doesnt mean everyone has to go around feeling sorry, especially if the person killed themself.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154

One less Idiot in the world. Good riddance to him.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Who cares...

Nobody owes it anyone to live through a life of suffering just because of another persons feelings, and nobody should expect a dear one to continue to live through suffering just because of your own personal feelings.

THAT would be selfish.

• EkibiogamiEkibiogami Member UncommonPosts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Gameloading

Who cares...

Nobody owes it anyone to live through a life of suffering just because of another persons feelings, and nobody should expect a dear one to continue to live through suffering just because of your own personal feelings.

THAT would be selfish.

I agree with Both sides on this Topic... Crap

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude; greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    —Samuel Adams