Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

I agree.

Tabula Rasa and Auto Assault.  Two games that truly had worthy potential and were different.  Rather than having a diverse model and something along the lines of a Station Pass, you just let these titles die.  I suppose NCSoft will only continue to divert its resources to MMO's that are either making TOP dollar or are popular to the eastern masses.

Either way, have a good one TR.

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

I'm to the point to where I don't really want to purchase another NCSoft game without a contract stating how long I can expect service.

If they provide a "minimum" of live service for 3 years I'd be willing to shell out 50 bucks and a monthly fee.  Otherwise I am really not interested.  These guys are getting a reputation for jumping ship at the last minute and I'm tired of investing in their bad ideas.

• BoudahXLBoudahXL Member UncommonPosts: 199

New ideas, different concepts, anything out of the EQ/WoW mold will just die...

It's sad, but the mmo community is just not ready or open minded.

-Those mmo's need time need time to acheive maturity 18-30 months.

-They need to cope with the low pop, service need to be built around low pop.

-They need to build instances to receive a low population.

-Those projects need to be maintaned by small developpers team in order to survive and develop community until anything else than elf,dwarf, is accepted as mmorpg setup.

Those large corps are very short sighted, the mmo community exploded after WoW phenomenom in america, and it's gonnna take a while before those new players are ready to accept anything else than auto-attack and timer based button/skills...

• LoboMauLoboMau Member UncommonPosts: 395

I always liked Tabula Rasa. I had alot of fun. Great sci-fi MMO, but...it lacks one serious thing..."End Game"! With a good RvR (if the Bane were playable) this game could be one of the TOP! Very sad news today.

• tastethegoldtastethegold Member Posts: 53

kids....

kids.....

FUCK POTENTIAL!

what the hell, every jizz wad has the "potential" to be the next george washington, sadly most of them end up completely useless wastes of space (look at mmorpg.com for example)! potential means nothing!

this game promised diamonds and delivered dink. it failed and screw RG for even attempting it (not that he cares i assure you) for its lies deception and trickery (along with shit gameplay and plot) it gets shitcanned, good riddance to bad rubbish, deal with it.

dont pretend you care now because this game was crap from closed beta, it never got better despite the promises, even mechs couldnt save it (they were that shittily done).

hellgate dying sucked, this however is just what anyone who knows the industry knew would happen.

hopefully vanguard is next.

• Autodidact82Autodidact82 Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by tastethegold

kids....
    kids.....
    FUCK POTENTIAL!
    what the hell, every jizz wad has the "potential" to be the next george washington, sadly most of them end up completely useless wastes of space (look at mmorpg.com for example)! potential means nothing!
    this game promised diamonds and delivered dink. it failed and screw RG for even attempting it (not that he cares i assure you) for its lies deception and trickery (along with shit gameplay and plot) it gets shitcanned, good riddance to bad rubbish, deal with it.
    dont pretend you care now because this game was crap from closed beta, it never got better despite the promises, even mechs couldnt save it (they were that shittily done).
    hellgate dying sucked, this however is just what anyone who knows the industry knew would happen.

Whoa, what crawled up your ass and died!?

Despite Tabula Rasa being lackluster in the content. It actually was fun.... but content and fanboi's held the game back... this game is riding on alot of potential... but the dev's were just a bunch of retards. Give this game to a REAL dev team... this game would be 10X better.

Hellgate... purely sucked, never was a mmorpg, shouldn't even been treated as one. And Bill Roper is a ass clown, ... that knew his game was going to fail before starting beta.

Vanguard??.... That game is actually good.... dumbass SOE is holding it back, ... cause they knows it's better then their precious EQ.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by LoboMau

I always liked Tabula Rasa. I had alot of fun. Great sci-fi MMO, but...it lacks one serious thing..."End Game"! With a good RvR (if the Bane were playable) this game could be one of the TOP! Very sad news today.

Race based PVP was not going to save this game and would not have vaulted it to the top. It was a good Sci-Fi single player as an MMO it failed or does todays announcement not prove this to people? It lacked a lot of things and today just proves that.

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Geez. They're sure doing a lot for their consumer-faith.

I know I won't be giving Aion a serious try 'til I see it with some City of Heroes-esque subscriber numbers. Assuming Lineage doesn't become the new bar and City of Heroes tanks soon.

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

they should just give the game to a tech school and let people that want to make or work on MMO use that as a learning tool best way to keep any game going even if the subs are low. any MMO that has low sub should be doing this sell the rights to a school so the people paying to learn can keep the servers going i have no idea why no one every though of this

• eldanlocoeldanloco Member Posts: 210
    Originally posted by dsebutchr

I'm to the point to where I don't really want to purchase another NCSoft game without a contract stating how long I can expect service.
    If they provide a "minimum" of live service for 3 years I'd be willing to shell out 50 bucks and a monthly fee.  Otherwise I am really not interested.  These guys are getting a reputation for jumping ship at the last minute and I'm tired of investing in their bad ideas.

/signed

I don't want to play an MMO unless it it's promised to stay alive for at least 10 years personally.  NCSoft needs to let their games live.

--------------------------------
    Darkfall: December or vaporware!

• _Shadowmage_Shadowmage Member Posts: 1,459

I feel sorry for the people who bought a lifetime subscription to hellgate london :)

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by demented669

they should just give the game to a tech school and let people that want to make or work on MMO use that as a learning tool best way to keep any game going even if the subs are low. any MMO that has low sub should be doing this sell the rights to a school so the people paying to learn can keep the servers going i have no idea why no one every though of this

Thats a pretty good idea. I dont really see a problem with it, as long as it was made F2P and the people playing it would know theres a serious chance that some stuff could possible get broke even worse.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

Welcome to the free market economy.  Games that can't attract enough players to support themselves die.

And it doesn't matter if some tiny fraction of the market considers the game 'innovative' when everyone else thinks the game is garbage. 

A game is meant to entertain, TR failed to do so in any significant manner.    It will looked upon as a lesson of what NOT to do for future MMORPGs.  And that is what will continue to drive the evolution of MMOPRGS away from the tiny, pathetic niche market of their past and into the market of REAL games. 

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

Welcome to the free market economy.  Games that can't attract enough players to support themselves die.
    And it doesn't matter if some tiny fraction of the market considers the game 'innovative' when everyone else thinks the game is garbage. 
    A game is meant to entertain, TR failed to do so in any significant manner.    It will looked upon as a lesson of what NOT to do for future MMORPGs.  And that is what will continue to drive the evolution of MMOPRGS away from the tiny, pathetic niche market of their past and into the market of REAL games. 

Maybe TR becomes a turning point in the MMO market for future games.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Autodidact82

kids....
    kids.....
    FUCK POTENTIAL!

Despite Tabula Rasa being lackluster in the content. It actually was fun.... but content and fanboi's held the game back... this game is riding on alot of potential... but the dev's were just a bunch of retards. Give this game to a REAL dev team... this game would be 10X better.

Hellgate... purely sucked, never was a mmorpg, shouldn't even been treated as one. And Bill Roper is a ass clown, ... that knew his game was going to fail before starting beta.

Vanguard??.... That game is actually good.... dumbass SOE is holding it back, ... cause they knows it's better then their precious EQ.

WHAT!?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me, SOE holding Vanguard back? SOE is responsible for making the game more then halfway-decent, and for pulling something enjoyable out of that steaming waaaaay undercooked pile of rubbish that McQuaid left behind for them to clean up. And they did. Vanguard is only what it is today b/c SOE took it and applied the same formula they used to fix EQ2. Vanguard and EQ2 are alike in soooo many ways, both were games McQuaid started and left before they were complete, both were a mess at launch, and both have recovered to become solid, enjoyable games. Especially EQ2, that game has come a very long way and is now a very solid game. Vanguard is on it's way, it's gotten progressively better and will only continue to improve.

You're theory about holding it back is rediculous. Why would they want to hold it back? They own it outright. They have nothing to gain by holding it back, and only stand to lose if it doesn't succeed.

As for Hellgate....well, I actually kind of liked Hellgate. Should it ever have been labeled as an MMO? No way, no how. Flagship tried to make the game everything, to everyone, and they actually came pretty close, but in the end they lost focus and the game lost it's identity. I think if they would have just went the route of selling the box, and then started working on an xpac, w/ smaller, quality chunks of DLCs to keep the studio running. It turned out that the game actually was fun, it just lacked cohesiveness, and suffered b/c of it.

I can't comment on Tabula Rasa b/c I never got into it. The concept seemed pretty cool, and I definitely feel for the people that called it's world "home". I have to say though that it sure seems Mr.Garriot lost focus at some point. I don't think he has wanted to, or has, design any games in a good long time. The passion for game design has left him, just look at the last couple of games he put out compared to the first couple. His early games were deep, expansive, and more then anything immersive, you could just tell that a lot of love went into the games. But Tabula Rasa, and even the last few Ultima games, lacked that essence. They almost had it, and you could tell that the potential for greatness was there, it was just never fully realized. It's a shame really....

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by Alienovrlord

What he said ^^^  People need to understand that games NEEDS TO SURVIVE by attracting players, and enough players so that it can continue to live.  This "Niche" BS is best left to small independent firms that dont spend alot of money on development (CCP's EVE Online started this way).  For all the money NCSoft put into TR it HAD TO BE SUCCESSFUL.  This is a simple concept that the fanbois of TR simply could not grasp when they discouraged the devs from putting any mainstream appeal into the game (ie: raiding, better gear, etc). 

RIP TR

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673

bunch of crap.... only active suscribers get something... aka   no one.... lol....

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

They are simply cutting their losses. The fanbase is just about gone and they couldn't make it work. They are going to pin all their hopes on AIon and Guild Wars 2. I guess we will see what happens.

• DirtykillaDirtykilla Member Posts: 55

LOL, damn I was about to buy TR just for that Aion beta / free month and free client :D till I realized today was the 21st.

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100

Maybe they should have stuck with there orginal fanasy theme after all.

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

I won the game during the contest on this site.

I did have alot of fun with TR. Base defenses, base attacks ect ect.

Seems NC had a good idea, just no population and a lack of end game.

I got to the end and just went "What's next?" not really anything. So, I unsubbed.

Too bad it's shutting down, but I did get my money's worth of fun from TR.

Originally posted by teddyboy420

kids....
    kids.....
    FUCK POTENTIAL!

WHAT!?!?!?!?

Are you kidding me, SOE holding Vanguard back? SOE is responsible for making the game more then halfway-decent, and for pulling something enjoyable out of that steaming waaaaay undercooked pile of rubbish that McQuaid left behind for them to clean up. And they did. Vanguard is only what it is today b/c SOE took it and applied the same formula they used to fix EQ2. Vanguard and EQ2 are alike in soooo many ways, both were games McQuaid started and left before they were complete, both were a mess at launch, and both have recovered to become solid, enjoyable games. Especially EQ2, that game has come a very long way and is now a very solid game. Vanguard is on it's way, it's gotten progressively better and will only continue to improve.

You're theory about holding it back is rediculous. Why would they want to hold it back? They own it outright. They have nothing to gain by holding it back, and only stand to lose if it doesn't succeed.

As for Hellgate....well, I actually kind of liked Hellgate. Should it ever have been labeled as an MMO? No way, no how. Flagship tried to make the game everything, to everyone, and they actually came pretty close, but in the end they lost focus and the game lost it's identity. I think if they would have just went the route of selling the box, and then started working on an xpac, w/ smaller, quality chunks of DLCs to keep the studio running. It turned out that the game actually was fun, it just lacked cohesiveness, and suffered b/c of it.

I can't comment on Tabula Rasa b/c I never got into it. The concept seemed pretty cool, and I definitely feel for the people that called it's world "home". I have to say though that it sure seems Mr.Garriot lost focus at some point. I don't think he has wanted to, or has, design any games in a good long time. The passion for game design has left him, just look at the last couple of games he put out compared to the first couple. His early games were deep, expansive, and more then anything immersive, you could just tell that a lot of love went into the games. But Tabula Rasa, and even the last few Ultima games, lacked that essence. They almost had it, and you could tell that the potential for greatness was there, it was just never fully realized. It's a shame really....

Have you really played Vanguard honestly??? You say what you say like i was bringing it down. Which i never did... i said it's a good game... and by far one of my fav's.

Yes SoE has fixed up the game, but it took them a LONG time to do so. Plus SoE has held back Vanguard a good deal.... that game is no where it could be.

It takes them 2-4 months to bring out a new update... granted their big.... but all the time they put in their precious EQ... they could be making VG alot better.

Any VG fan.. could honestly tell you.. SoE is holding it back from what it can be.

{ Mod Edit }

• megafluxmegamegafluxmega Member Posts: 138

kids....
    kids.....
    FUCK POTENTIAL!

WHAT!?!?!?!?

Have you really played Vanguard honestly??? You say what you say like i was bringing it down. Which i never did... i said it's a good game... and by far one of my fav's.

Yes SoE has fixed up the game, but it took them a LONG time to do so. Plus SoE has held back Vanguard a good deal.... that game is no where it could be.

It takes them 2-4 months to bring out a new update... granted their big.... but all the time they put in their precious EQ... they could be making VG alot better.

Any VG fan.. could honestly tell you.. SoE is holding it back from what it can be.

{ Mod Edit }

{ Mod Edit }

i seriously hope it is the next POS to get the axe, maybe 2009 will be the year of the pruning, god knows the industry could use it.

if anyone hasnt played vanguard at this point they shouldnt be saying jack about it or any other mmorpg since they dont know thing 1. if they have though they are entitled to their opinion, which is generally vanguard is a total turd and SOE needs to curl up and die already.

vanguard is going NOWHERE. no expansion talk after being out a year =a dead game. get it through your "thick" head.

Originally posted by megafluxmega

kids....
    kids.....
    FUCK POTENTIAL!

WHAT!?!?!?!?

Have you really played Vanguard honestly??? You say what you say like i was bringing it down. Which i never did... i said it's a good game... and by far one of my fav's.

Yes SoE has fixed up the game, but it took them a LONG time to do so. Plus SoE has held back Vanguard a good deal.... that game is no where it could be.

It takes them 2-4 months to bring out a new update... granted their big.... but all the time they put in their precious EQ... they could be making VG alot better.

{ Mod Edit }

{ Mod Edit }

i seriously hope it is the next POS to get the axe, maybe 2009 will be the year of the pruning, god knows the industry could use it.

if anyone hasnt played vanguard at this point they shouldnt be saying jack about it or any other mmorpg since they dont know thing 1. if they have though they are entitled to their opinion, which is generally vanguard is a total turd and SOE needs to curl up and die already.

vanguard is going NOWHERE. no expansion talk after being out a year =a dead game. get it through your "thick" head.

Stop living in horror land of when Vanguard was first release. Maybe you could open you mind... { Mod Edit } .... and know it's ALOT better game. And im far from being a Vanguard fanboy. I could tell all of VG's problems.. main one being SoE.

So learn comprehension one day... it will actually do you good. Cause dropping out the 4th grade... certainly hasn't helped you much.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

kids....
    kids.....
    FUCK POTENTIAL!

WHAT!?!?!?!?

{ Mod Edit }

Ok....you have already contradicted yourself a few times while talking about this, not to mention you resorted to personal attacks which further shows your lack of ability to explain your position and iterate your thoughts. Allow me to point out the flaws in your logic so you can see how little sense your arguments make.

First, yes I have played Vanguard. Am I a Vanguard player? No. I checked it out at release, and have checked back in on it a couple of times since then, and I have to say that I only see improvement in almost every aspect of the game. Vanguard has always oozed potential, but b/c of McQuaids lack to effectively manage a studio, the potential was never fully realized.

SoE saw that potential and saved the game when M$ dropped it, so already if it wasn't for SoE the game never would have even released. Now, they could have just released it, and left it alone, but they didn't. They put a competant team to work on the game, and it has improved immensely.

You complain about how LONG it took them to fix things....that's b/c there was soooo MUCH to fix. The game was a steaming pile of half-finished, unrealized potential when SoE took over, and they made it into a more then decent game.

It takes 2-4 months to release and update you say. Then, in the same breath, you admit that they are large updates, well lets see....I wonder why they take 2-4 months....maybe b/c they put a lot of work into the updates, and said work takes time? mmmmmmm.....logic

Your supposition that SoE puts time and effort into EQ that could be put into Vanguard is equally as rediculous, actually, probably more so, as the rest of your post. There are seperate teams working on each game, so how is time spent developing EQ/EQ2 taking anything away from Vanguard? Oh yeah, it's not.

I'm sorry mate, but if it wasn't for SoE, there wouldn't even be Vanguard. I will give you that it's kind of odd there hasn't been an xpac announced, especially as this IS SoE we're talking about, the company that at one time was releasing an xpac for EQ every 6 months. But to that, I have to assume their recent change in design philosophy is responsible....They no long will rush xpacs out just for the sake of making a few easy bucks. I believe the reason there hasn't been talk of an xpac for Vanguard yet is b/c they want to make sure what is already in the game is where it should be, before expanding on it. It makes sense, no?

Again, I have to reiterate that it makes no sense for SoE to want Vanguard to fail. They own it outright, IP, engine, everything is theirs. So please, tell me why they would want to hold it back? They only stand to gain from making it better, which by your own admission, they HAVE made it bette, so why would they stop now. It's nonsensical to think they would intentionally hold it back.

If you are trying to say that SoE isn't competant enough to help Vanguard live up to it's potential...well, all I can say to that is....neither were it's original dev team, obviously. IMO, there is no one better suited, in the whole of the MMO industry, to turn Vanguard around. They have experience with cleaning up McQuaids abandoned projects, and making them MUCH better games then they were. They did it w/ EQ2, which is actually has a LOT in common w/ Vanguard, both were projects McQuaid started but never finished. Both were in a sad state at release, but b/c of their devotion and hard work, both are MUCH, MUCH better games then they were when they released.

Vanguard is on it's way up, and is only going to get better.

let me ask you this, how, exactly, is SoE holding it back? How could it be made a better game, what needs to be done to make them game what it could be?