Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel Comics MMORPG

OK, so I read about the Marvel game awhile back but haven't heard anything about it recently. Has anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Erm, are you refering to City of Heroes or something else? I havent heard of any other superhero mmrpgs.

--------------------

Played: Asheron's Call 1, Dark Age of Camelot, Earth & Beyond, Star Wars Galaxies
    Tested: Asheron's Call 1, Asheron's Call 2, Dark Age of Camelot, Eve Online, Lineage 2, Risk Your Life, Saga of Ryzom
    Uninstalled ASAP: MU Online, Knight Online, Rubies of Eventide, Priston Tales, Star Sonata, DarkSpace

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

Haven't heard anything... from the announcement it sounded like their main goal was to squelsh CoH with their superior brand name... they probably pulled the plug when they realized that wouldn't happen...

There's no Marvel MMO cuz there's no REASON to have a marvel MMO... not to mention no one wants to be moleman or rocket racer...

----------------------------
    City of Heroes Fanboy
    Future Game Designer
    All-around bad mutha-shutchomouf

The Illusion of Choice

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Last I heard, the game was still in the early stages of development (marvel website). That was maybe 6 months ago, havent heard anything since then.

Yes they do plan on going after the CoH crowd and I think they would win out if CoH is around by then. Since its in the very early stages, I would guess we're talking 3 years from release. Marvel has been smelling the money since the movie and gaming industry have been making them more money in the past 3 years than the last 50. I wouldnt be surprised if they're watching CoH very closely hoping to avoid their mistakes (ie. repetitive combat, no crafting, no housing, etc).

I'd play it and would imagine it would be a success unless totally bugged. After all, wouldnt you rather interact with Spiderman and The Hulk instead of some clone wannabes ?

• jkubejkube Member Posts: 3

Originally posted by admriker444

... After all, wouldnt you rather interact with Spiderman and The Hulk instead of some clone wannabes ?

The only problem with this is that everybody would want to be Spiderman or The Hulk etc.  You can only have one of each.  I think that Marvel would have to bring something other than their super-heroes/villains to the table in order to be different from CoH.

--Jkube

Hero War, The Blitz! Kick your friend's butts!
    http://www.herowar.com/blitz/recruit.phtml?id=16095

• FraekFraek Member Posts: 249

I'd play it and would imagine it would be a success unless totally bugged. After all, wouldnt you rather interact with Spiderman and The Hulk instead of some clone wannabes ?

Haven't the CoH players usually agreed that the beauty of CoH is creating your own Hero?

Anyhow, I agree with... ...umm, that other poster:  Imagine having 7,000 Spider-Men, 3,000 Hulks, 23,000 Vultures and 9,000 Spawns running amok...

I honestly hope that the Marvel heroes aren't actually in the game, or maybe just one of them, as I hate Super-Hero-mixing...

...die, SUPER-FRIENDS!

Agnar's Furyimage

Join at http://www.guilduniverse.com/af

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    i would think that all marvel NPCs would be spiderman, etc... im sure they would have character creation similar to CoH, after all...it's the best part of the game.

EQ: Quantis Erudite 60pal-Bristlebane
    DAoC: Vrix Kobold 50skald-Percival
    L2: Jorrad DE 25 Palus Knight-Kain
    CoH: Funeral 23drk/drk Def-Infinity
    AC2: Thex 30 Lug Sage-Thistledown
    FFXI: Wrython Elv 55brd/nin-Carbuncle
    SWG: Astaroth Twi CH/Pistol-Maxed
    Horizons: Jorrad 21 Fiend Spear-Chaos (playing)
    RYL: Kazeth 15 Attk - Beta Tested (free and i still want my money back)
    Other: AC1, AO, SB, EVE, RoE, PS, FL..

---And I still haven't found what I'm looking for---

Joined - July 2004

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436

I'd be happy with the marvel heros as NPC's, quest/mission givers ect. Would be tickled if you could join the Avengers, X-men, Defenders ect as rewards for doing well

• RathelonRathelon Member Posts: 20

Originally posted by Fraek
    Anyhow, I agree with... ...umm, that other poster:  Imagine having 7,000 Spider-Men, 3,000 Hulks, 23,000 Vultures and 9,000 Spawns running amok...

Maybe I'm just old. I know Spiderman, The Hulk, and even Spawn, but 23,000 Vultures? I've never even heard of that guy.

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

Originally posted by Rathelon
    Originally posted by Fraek
    Anyhow, I agree with... ...umm, that other poster: Imagine having 7,000 Spider-Men, 3,000 Hulks, 23,000 Vultures and 9,000 Spawns running amok...Maybe I'm just old. I know Spiderman, The Hulk, and even Spawn, but 23,000 Vultures? I've never even heard of that guy.

If you haven't heard of the Vulture, then you are young, not old. The Vulture was one of Spideys first enemies.

The Vulture

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

His names Adrian, hes bald, lankey, looks like hes wearing fur around his neck like hes gay.

Hrm...Somone said 23,000 vultures. I'm not sure if there would even be one.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

More like 23,000 versions of Carnage and Venom running around, trying to act all badass or something.

I shudder to think.

A Superhero game based off the old Marvel pen and paper rpg might be cool, but I don't see it working out terribly well if it were actually in the Marvel Universe, whichever one is the current incarnation. Unless it was some future where all the current heros are 'retired', in which case they just become background clutter like the principal characters from SW did in SWG.

• vrtldavevrtldave Member Posts: 558
    it would be kinda cool if the servers were a real small like 100 people... and everyone gets to chose between heros/villans but no one could be the same one... so there would be only one spiderman, etc... only problem would be if not enough people palyed at same time...

• OtlanoOtlano Member Posts: 139

Originally posted by Finwe
    His names Adrian, hes bald, lankey, looks like hes wearing fur around his neck like hes gay.
    Hrm...Somone said 23,000 vultures. I'm not sure if there would even be one."The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

Remember the Fly or whatever his name was? I liked Spiderman but he has some of the worst enemies out there. I personally never liked Doc Oc. Rhino sucked also.

• ZaradisZaradis Member Posts: 241
    I doubt there would be as much clones as everyone is suggesting here. I had thought the same exact thing as COH, you see a few clones...really good ones infact "Hulk,Captain America, Lizard" you even have some really good Dragonball look alikes. My point is there isnt a oversaturation of copies just a few bunch.

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

Qoute: "I neva *ucked anybody over in my life, who didn't have it comin' to 'im, you got that? All I have in this world is my balls, and my word, and I don't break 'em for no one, jou understand?" Tony Montana

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526
    Actually, I never meant for you to think 23k spidermans running around. I said interact, ie. NPC's or possibly real life in-game csr type controlling one marvel hero. Right now I take missions from some no-name dude in CoH. Similiar to the thrill of SWG, (where you got to meet all the main characters) you could team up with Hulk or maybe do a mission for Bruce Banner. Something like that is more what I had in mind.

• kilaikilai Member Posts: 32

About CoH, i tried alot of combinations.

actually you can do a perfect char that looks like

the hulk except that his head will be smaller. All that played CoH knows that huge char

has a small head. And for Wolverine i did a Scrapper Claw and he looked exactly like

wolverine but still the name wolverine will not be available. as all the preorder ppl

got hold of the name. But still i think CoH did a good job on the creation of a char.

I thought it was the best part of the game. And i think CoH will not stay still on the game play.

They still adding more stuff to the game and i think it will progress in a good way.

**crossing my fingers**

Dan

CoH- XanaX level 30 Defender emp/dark - Pinnacle

Compiler level 14 Blaster energy/energy - Pinnacle

TheMask level 23 Scrapper spines/inv - Justice

City Of Heroes, Ragnarok Online, Redmoon And Shattered Galaxies.

• derer2derer2 Member Posts: 11

I don't think that a Marvel game will beat CoH.. I think it is just going to more like a copy. A super hero game will always be about the sam thing. beating up villains and saving the day and the world. Then the first game on the market will take the market.

But we just need to wait and se what gets out of it.

I like the thing where you make you one hero and you give it your personality.

My games.. City of Heroes and Dark Age of Camelot image

• rohbshoprohbshop Member Posts: 308

I dont know why people are trying to knock a Marvel mmorpg before theres even anything out there describing it.  I dont even consider CoH much of an mmorpg, its more like a online streetfighter game with elements of rpg.  It has very little in the game other than fighting thugs, no economy, no tradeskills, not really any items or anything that most mmorpg's have.  Surely theres room for a comic book mmorpg thats not cheesy(CoH's 'Golden Age of comic books' theme is so cheesy it makes the storylines just stupid imo).   Imagine possibly being able to play under their alter egos which will justify having things like an economy where money is important, economy, luxury items or stuff that helps you fight crime, relationships, trade skills, loot, etc., and give it more of a mmorpg feel than CoH.

Personally i prefered the Marvel universe over DC, and especially the 'Golden Age' that CoH is based on because Marvel was less disney'sh, and definitely not nearly as cheesy.  Marvel more than the others portrayed heros with problems, more like real people instead of Tick-like heroes or kinda lame ones taht DC had.  I know personally, i'd be WAY more into a Marvel-style storyline than i could ever get into a CoH story arc.  I swear CoH's story arcs and names of heroes are really lame.  Who names a superhero Statesman?  Let alone a dead superhero that capes are a tribute to called something like 'Hero1'?(i cant remember if this was his name but it was something stupid like this).  I just couldnt take CoH's story arcs seriously with this stuff :p

I just think theres alot of room for variation with some creativity.  I dont understand how some people seem to think its going to be just like CoH, although it *can* be, but who knows at this point?  thats just either being a pessimist or a hater before anything is known about the game. 

• Originally posted by Fraek

Haven't the CoH players usually agreed that the beauty of CoH is creating your own Hero?

*EDIT* If this text seems too small to read, hold down the CTRL key at the same time roll your mouse scroller button towards you.***

SPAWN is not a Marvel Super-Hero. He could have been. But Stan Lee long ago sold Marvel Comics, and has just been a consultant. At most he shares the powers of running Marvel. Todd McFarlane was the new, revolutionary artist who rose through the ranks of Marvel Comics. Giving new life to almost all their major titles - from the Hulk, to Spider-Man, and more. He has such a following Marvel gave him his own Spider-Man comic. (Spider-Man holds the record for comic character with the most ongoing, seperate, comic book titles: "Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man", "The Amazing Spider Man" , "Web of Spider-Man", and the one for McFarlane.... "Spider-Man".

McFarlane later approched the powers that be (aka those pesky suits and ties, same folks who are ruining current MMORPGs, the music industry, and everything else LOLOL!) at Marvel Comics with an idea for a new character he created..... SPAWN. The suites and ties at Marvel laughed at him and said stick with the known super-heros who have a proven track record. Marvel would not even support a limited run series of SPAWN to see for sure if there was a following. Todd McFarlane then resigned working at Marvel Comics. So did a TON of other famous Marvel artists (some who formed and created Gem 13, ) and other newly famous comic titles, and companies. McFarlane on his own made his own comic company and released SPAWN. It went on to become the BEST EVER selling comic in history. Out selling EVERY SINGLE super-hero.

To get an idea of how successful SPAWN was... Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Superman, Batman, and the rest of the major comic characters were selling an avarage of 100,000 to 300,000 issues a month each character. That is considered an incredible success. Limited run titles like Spider-Woman, Black Cat (Marvel's answer to DC's "Catwoman"), The Savage She-Hulk, Excalibur (no not King Authur... I'm talking about Captain Britian and Nightcrawler. image) etc... are considered successful if they sell 50,000 to 100,000 issues every month.

SPAWN was selling.... between.... 1 MILLION to 3 MILLION issues a month! imageimageimageimage Marvel Comics LOST big when they allowed McFarlane to leave, along with half their star artists. To mention SPAWN and Marvel Comics in the same sentance, same paragraph, is hersay! LOL! image

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Rathelon
    Maybe I'm just old. I know Spiderman, The Hulk, and even Spawn, but 23,000 Vultures? I've never even heard of that guy.

I think Vulture was Spider-Man's first enemy...has a thing for Aunt May

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

•  Wasn't Vulture part of the "Furious Four" or whatever their name was? The original first enemies of Spider-man?

Doc Oc, Scorpion, Sandman, and Vulture?

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========

MMORPG games I've played:
    ---------------------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

EVE Online !!!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/sica_xol_archives01

DAoC (coming soon)
    ---------------------------

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by punkrock
    can i please have a link of this.

Its pretty hard finding a link to the Vulture because he wasn't really impressive.  Imagine a 90 year old bald headed man with an attitude with feathers under his armpits and a green skin tight suit and a crazy victorian furry collar.

McFarlane tried to revive him, but no one really cared, so Todd had him killed off once and for all.

The Vulture was only in a few issues of all SpiderMan's comics put together.  No one really sees an 90 year old man that weighs 70 lbs a real threat to SpiderMan.

Noticed..2nd issue

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

people who copy superhero legeds in CoH pretty much have no imagination. Thats just me.

And I can't beleive some of you don't know who the Vulture is . . .

I though you guys were watching spider-man after school on Fox Kids back in the 1990's

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• punkrockpunkrock Member Posts: 1,777