Predictions from a veteran gamer

pencilrickpencilrick The Alamo, TXMember Posts: 1,550

If this game provides a ruthless world with freedom and consequences (and barring it's not buggy), then is should be a major hit.

However, if it's a linear, hold-your-hand, please-follow-the-storyline, quest-laden crapfest, then it will fail like AOC and Warhammer, and many others.

 

Tagged:
«13

Comments

  • Brone87Brone87 DeBary, FLMember Posts: 244

    This game could turn out to be awesome as long as headshots do more damage than chest shots and those do more damage then leg shots and so on. However, if this game uses the same system as hellgate london then its most likely going to share its same fate.

  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Oklahoma City, OKMember Posts: 2,383

    My prediction is that the game will fail because it is an indie MMORPG. 10 years ago this game would have been a big hit, but not now. Now it takes major dough. I love the idea, look, setting, and mechanics of the game but it will absolutely fail. I really wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

    image

  • WSIMikeWSIMike Catskill, NYMember Posts: 5,564

    If I flip a coin... it'll either land on heads, or  it'll land on tails...

    That is my prediction, from a veteran coin flipper.

    Seriously though, I think that's a fairly narrow set of circumstances to allow for.

    As someone else mentioned in this thread, if it's an indie MMO and not enough people know about it, it'll never become a "huge success". However, that doesn't mean it will be a failure either.

    If it attracts and keeps enough players to be profitable and continue going... then it is a successful product. It doesn't have to be a smash success, or a so-called "WoW killer".

    Though sometimes it is warranted, people use the term "failure" *way* too liberally around here; as if to say "I don't like the game... therefor it's a failure".

    Anyways... It does look interesting. I'll probably be checking it out.

     

    "If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

    image

  • BCuseBCuse San Diego, CAMember Posts: 140
    Originally posted by WSIMike


    If it attracts and keeps enough players to be profitable and continue going... then it is a successful product. It doesn't have to be a smash success, or a so-called "WoW killer".
     
     



     

    I agree.  Every game doesnt have to be a "WOW killer" to be a success.  Thats part of the problem now, every company wants to be WOW.  What we need is some innovation not more copies of WOW.  This game looks promising i hope it can deliver.

  • rashherorashhero Union, SCMember UncommonPosts: 510

    While I don't think the game will do great, I really hope it will appeal to enough of the nich group that will ultimately find this game fun and that they'll stick with it. I plan to play it for as long as possible myself.

  • chryseschryses LondonMember UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by Laserwolf


    My prediction is that the game will fail because it is an indie MMORPG. 10 years ago this game would have been a big hit, but not now. Now it takes major dough. I love the idea, look, setting, and mechanics of the game but it will absolutely fail. I really wish I was wrong, but I'm not.

     

    I disagree.  I feel the next big hit will come from an indie group. Jumpgate Evolution, Earth Rise, Fallen Earth, Dark Fall... There is one common theme amongst them all and that is they are all trying to create a more hard core gaming experience compared to the vanilla gameplay in AoC, WAR, WOW etc.  Vanilla is fine if you want to jump in and follow a linear line and those firms have to...even need to develop this style as they pump 40+ million into it and they need the 300k subs to get the return and the usual 800k box sales.  Indie firms can live with a lot less and rely a lot more on viral marketing and word of mouth.  The casual or pure PvE gamer will nt enjoy any of the games listed because they will involve mostly PvP.

    You do not need a massive team to make a great game, unless you are creating a WAR type MMO with mass hype.

  • LaserwolfLaserwolf Oklahoma City, OKMember Posts: 2,383

    I agree that the Indie MMOs being developed are the only ones pushing the envelope or thinking outside the box. They are the ones primarily trying to develop sandbox games(mainly because it is easier to do these than tightly scripted MMOs) and Indie developers are working with the best settings and genres.

    However, I just can't see an Indie game going anywhere without the help of a larger company to help produce and promote it. Roma Victor has soured my optimism for Indie MMOs for the near-future, and it isn't the only Indie MMO to let me down in the last few years.

    I would love for Fallen Earth to have a least one server's worth of population and to be playable. If it is, I'll pay to play. I just have strong doubts it will make the cut.

    image

  • ganbeeganbee manassas, VAMember Posts: 233

    I think a lot of games are drove by word of mouth. Video's and trailers are good, and good beta release:WOW. A person like me would have never played WOW if a friend had not said it was good. I am a "veteran gamer" but calling a game a failure before release is just arrogant.

  • cukimungacukimunga Dacono, COMember Posts: 2,259

    I think this game will be one of the better games to come out in a while.

     

    1.Its not another Fantasy game. Im tired of that genre.

    2.Its skill based

    3. Combat isn't auto attack you have to aim where you shoot and can swing for melee.

     

    One thing why I think EVE didn't get so popular is because people just didn't want to look at a ship all day. I know I didn't want to and didn't play the game.

  • IsaneIsane EnglandMember UncommonPosts: 2,630

    Games are just that , the problem at the moment is that most in the MMO genre are not what they should be and just not fun.

    The post from the OP is pretty poor, and does not add anything everyone does not already know or wan't. Difficulty for teh sake of it is not an option, it has to be part of a well thought out game as part of the base design.

     

    ________________________________________________________
    Sorcery must persist, the future is the Citadel 

  • VaporiaVaporia Riverside, CAMember Posts: 21

    The hen is truly the wisest of animal creation. She only cakcels after the egg is laid.

  • senadinsenadin Oshawa, OntarioMember UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by Laserwolf


    I agree that the Indie MMOs being developed are the only ones pushing the envelope or thinking outside the box. They are the ones primarily trying to develop sandbox games(mainly because it is easier to do these than tightly scripted MMOs) and Indie developers are working with the best settings and genres.
    However, I just can't see an Indie game going anywhere without the help of a larger company to help produce and promote it. Roma Victor has soured my optimism for Indie MMOs for the near-future, and it isn't the only Indie MMO to let me down in the last few years.
    I would love for Fallen Earth to have a least one server's worth of population and to be playable. If it is, I'll pay to play. I just have strong doubts it will make the cut.

     

    That`s the plan, To have ONE and ONLY ONE server.

     

     

    image

  • bushwhacker2bushwhacker2 Kirkwood, MOMember Posts: 14

    First, maybe you are a veteran gamer but it sounds presumptuous if you call yourself one.

    I disagree mostly, while having an open environment that doesn't force you to do quests is nice, a game totally without tutorials and quests has been tried and it was a massive failure.

    Tutorials and quests are an important part of mmos. Ever been thrown into a game without anyone telling you anything? It sucks.

    I think this game has potential, while the graphics leave much to be desired, a game where you actually aim and fire at something and damage is determined by RPG elements is pretty much never been done.

    Neocron and Tabula Rasa tried it, but in the end the 'aiming' that they claim to have is about the same as Star Wars Galaxies aiming system. Neocron just has a box around an enemy and if you fire in 'the box' you hit them. Tabula Rasa was close to this too.

    One thing this has on Huxley, it actually has RPG elements. I've seen Huxley gameplay videos and it's pretty much Unreal Tournament under a different name... it looks like it will be a massive dissapointment (for me at least) unless they change it. They actually have a health and an armor bar that max at 100, this is a massive miss if you want anything rpg related.

  • cjdjcjdj medfield, MAMember Posts: 18

    Im really hoping this game is truely going to be a sandbox post apocolyptic MMO like they say becouse if so I think this is gonna be a huge success or atleast tons of fun for the people interested in that type of gaming playstyle.

  • PepsipwnzgodPepsipwnzgod Philidelphia, PAMember Posts: 203
    Originally posted by pencilrick


    If this game provides a ruthless world with freedom and consequences (and barring it's not buggy), then is should be a major hit.
    However, if it's a linear, hold-your-hand, please-follow-the-storyline, quest-laden crapfest, then it will fail like AOC and Warhammer, and many others.
     



     

    THIS GAME COULD BE GOOD IF IT IS A GOOD GAME... IM A VETERAN GAMER SO I KNOW

    -----------------------------
    IVE PLAYED WOW AND LIKED IT SO IM A FANBOI PLZ FLAME MY THREADS CUZ I MIGHT MENTION WOW

  • TeiraaTeiraa Tempe, AZMember UncommonPosts: 447

    Comparing it to SWG:

    On the positive side we have: Skill based system, viable crafting (much as in SWG), PVP

    On the negative side: Limited area (there is not much else but desert, SWG had many planets), no social classes like Musician or Dancer, no well-known IP

     

    So I expect a moderate success. It will be enough to go on for quite a while, but not a big mega hit.

    Just my guess based on the info available on the public boards.

  • GravargGravarg Harker Heights, TXMember UncommonPosts: 3,413

    What exactly is a Veteran Gamer? I've been playing games for 20+ years (yay atari 2600 ) but I dont consider myself a Veteran Gamer, nor should anyone else.  Video games are ever changing, and noone can ever be a Veteran of all games.  But anywho, this game looks good, and seems to be working away from the whole 'easy mode' concept most mmos are doing these days.  I will never make a prediction about a game, but I will offer my opinion.  This game would be suited for those looking for a skill based game, and not a quest-grinder.  Also the whole Mad Max feel gives it some uniqueness from other mmos.  Yes there have been some other mmos that have sort of gone with the post apocalyptic genre, but none like this game.  I truly hope they stick with thier guns about what they're planning on doing.  Since it's post-apocalyptic, there shouldn't be rules and regulation, martial law ftw!

  • WOTDOUPLAYWOTDOUPLAY ADELAIDEMember Posts: 139
    Originally posted by Gravarg


    What exactly is a Veteran Gamer? I've been playing games for 20+ years (yay atari 2600 ) but I dont consider myself a Veteran Gamer, nor should anyone else.  Video games are ever changing, and noone can ever be a Veteran of all games.  But anywho, this game looks good, and seems to be working away from the whole 'easy mode' concept most mmos are doing these days.  I will never make a prediction about a game, but I will offer my opinion.  This game would be suited for those looking for a skill based game, and not a quest-grinder.  Also the whole Mad Max feel gives it some uniqueness from other mmos.  Yes there have been some other mmos that have sort of gone with the post apocalyptic genre, but none like this game.  I truly hope they stick with thier guns about what they're planning on doing.  Since it's post-apocalyptic, there shouldn't be rules and regulation, martial law ftw!



     

    well my friend. a "veteran gamer" is a nerd who has nothing better do to then give himself the title "vet" to make himself sounds better and more important than other gamers.

    AWEG RJN

  • HazmalHazmal Louisville, KYMember CommonPosts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Teiraa


    Comparing it to SWG:
    On the positive side we have: Skill based system, viable crafting (much as in SWG), PVP
    On the negative side: Limited area (there is not much else but desert, SWG had many planets), no social classes like Musician or Dancer, no well-known IP
     
    So I expect a moderate success. It will be enough to go on for quite a while, but not a big mega hit.
    Just my guess based on the info available on the public boards.



     

    The reviews based on limited information have started.

    As was stated earlier about "limited area" - this assumption is based on limited knowledge.  There will be different styled areas; don't go expecting verdant forests and pristine lakes...the world was poisoned.  These areas are massive, go to the QotW and read up.

    For the well known IP, that is a strength and also depends on how you look at it.  Strength because they are limited by themselves, they are the ones creating the story; not cozying up to some other company or person that holds rights to a story.  Less restrictions in how they can do things, doesn't seem like a negative to me.  As for how you look at it, pretty sure there have been a few post-apocalyptic movies and this style of story isn't new to anyone.  So they have a pretty well-known type of story and it is their own.

    I just hope the SWG "vet" reviews and comparisons will stop, wishful thinking I know.  This won't be SWG2 or a SWG Classic, get over it. 

    ------------------
    Originally posted by javac

    well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

  • ChlodwigChlodwig ViennaMember Posts: 150

    Hey, if veteran gamer is something that allows you to dump into a thread, being a veteran game programmer surely makes me even more elite and know-it-all, so I just have to dump my heap on it too!

    Snide comments aside. MMOs are amonst the most expensive projects you may undertake. 9 out of 10 will never be profitable because everyone and their dog now makes the next big MMO (aka "WoW knockoff"). 9 out of 10 of the rest will be so-so profitable, they may break even, may even give you about the amount of money you could have made if you invested the same time and effort into cranking out a few standard games. So about one in a hundred becomes a profitable (long term profitable) game.

    WoW is pretty much what a lottery jackpot is. A near zero chance to a huge cash cow. So all those VCs trying to push your studio towards creating an MMO are basically playing the lottery. So far, we managed to steer clear of it, despite some rather tempting offers, but it just does not happen. Especially not over night. You need a good IP (an IP known in the gamer world, not just some movie or book IP), you need a few good titles that preceed it and makes people who PLAY want to play the game. Movie enthusiasts and bookworms aren't necessarily the crowd you will draw to a MMO.

    Everyone wants to make the "WoW killer". Guess what: You won't. Nobody will "kill" WoW just by making a "better" MMO. And, bluntly, trying is the first step of failing. You need to have some good game IP as a foundation if you want to create a overly successful MMO. Blizzard did exactly that with WoW. Warcraft is a very good IP to build on. Rich story, long history, well done and well received games built before WoW made the success possible. It didn't come over night. It wasn't simply Blizzard sitting down and making some "good" MMO (let's not debate whether WoW is good, ok?) and presto, instant cash cow. The IP had a player fanbase and this was the foundation the success of WoW was built on.

    Certainly you still have to create a solid MMO that caters to the needs and interests of as many people as possible, from the casual gamer who wants to play an hour or two after work to the dedicated (addicted) 24/7 grinder. And WoW did. But that alone is not the key to success.

    FE could benefit now from the success of Fallout 3, there is a certain inclination currently towards post-apocalyptic games, and FE might ride well on that wave, provided it survives until FE appears. It won't be a WoW killer, though. Not because it's an indie game, not because it's too hard or "something new", simply because there is no fanbase that will create the foundation.

    The first few months after release are crucial to an MMO. You have about 3-6 months after release, until then the decision is made whether you succeed or not. By then the last long time subscribers will have to resubscribe or drop it. By then, too, the first people will push into the high level areas and many games fail in that respect early, due to untested content and bugs (because too few people got that far in beta to test it throughly) or because of a lack of content. Now, a die-hard fan of a series will stay and ride it out. WoW was horrible in that aspect in the first half year of its existance, and any ordinary MMO would have failed due to it. It had its fanbase, though, and they kept on playing and pulling others in.

    That's what made WoW the huge success it is. Not any kind of innovation, not that it's better than any other MMO, not that it had more marketing, not that it is made by Blizzard.

    It had a stable IP foundation. A stable GAME IP foundation.

  • TeiraaTeiraa Tempe, AZMember UncommonPosts: 447
    Originally posted by Hazmal


    The reviews based on limited information have started.

     
    As was stated earlier about "limited area" - this assumption is based on limited knowledge.  There will be different styled areas; don't go expecting verdant forests and pristine lakes...the world was poisoned.  These areas are massive, go to the QotW and read up.
    For the well known IP, that is a strength and also depends on how you look at it.  Strength because they are limited by themselves, they are the ones creating the story; not cozying up to some other company or person that holds rights to a story.  Less restrictions in how they can do things, doesn't seem like a negative to me.  As for how you look at it, pretty sure there have been a few post-apocalyptic movies and this style of story isn't new to anyone.  So they have a pretty well-known type of story and it is their own.
    I just hope the SWG "vet" reviews and comparisons will stop, wishful thinking I know.  This won't be SWG2 or a SWG Classic, get over it. 

    Ehm, I didn't do a review, just posted my expectations.

    The same thing as you did in your post by the way

    I don't force anybody to agree with what I expect, but that doesn't change my expectations: the game will be alright, but not a mega hit. After release we will see whether I was right or not, but before release be nice to each other, mkay?

  • RodentofdoomRodentofdoom NottinghamMember Posts: 273

    If they're going to be using twitch based gameplay, I'd expect to see the following effects in a modern MMO

     

    Shot/hit to leg/foot - reduce max run/walk speed through to disabling standing ability

    Shot/hit to arm/hand - reduce aim accuracy/tool use ability through to disabling abilty to grip something

    shot/hit to torso (upper/lower) - ruduce max speed? through to disabling climbing/standing ability

    shot/hit to head - increased chance of unconsiousness through to DEAD!!

    Will they include bleeding as there are a few vital organs kicking around in most peoples chest/abdomen, or sensory overstimulation from explosions

     

  • AveBethosAveBethos Oklahoma City, OKMember Posts: 611

    "Veteran Gamer" - LOL

  • someforumguysomeforumguy HomeMember UncommonPosts: 3,799
    Originally posted by pencilrick


    If this game provides a ruthless world with freedom and consequences (and barring it's not buggy), then is should be a major hit.
    However, if it's a linear, hold-your-hand, please-follow-the-storyline, quest-laden crapfest, then it will fail like AOC and Warhammer, and many others.
     

     

    What if its a bugless ruthless quest-laden crapfest world with freedom , consequences and have-some-storylines-if-you-will?

     

  • KnightsoulKnightsoul MilanoMember UncommonPosts: 31

    Wow, these kids talk like sailors !

Sign In or Register to comment.