Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Age of Conan Review

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

I spamed nothing. Both you and stradden need to try to read the POSTS in the thread. In order, you know, not just jumping and reading one post in the thread. Perhaps it just may make sense. I know its hard to track conversations and topics on this site.

I wasn't accusing you of spamming, I just said your comment was irrelevant to my point.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Soupgoblin

I love it.
    The fans are in this thread proving every last word of what the reviewer states, this is golden.
    "How dare you say something negative about our game, how dare you think we have a horrible community, how dare you write a review that doesn't agree with everything we pretend the game is. You are biased, you are a carebear.... ME ANGRY!! ME MAD!! REVIEW BAAAAD!!!
    You folks are priceless, and the worst of you are two people that have admitted over and over that they don't even play the game anymore, they want to argue so bad that they act offended just to try and start an argument... absolutely fabulous....
    I'm sorry I didn't come back to this thread earlier, I'm laughing so hard I may crap my pants....
    This article drove all the angry roaches straight out of the basement.

Try understand while you read, instead of using that time to form you next "I pawn" post.

Thanks.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

I love it.
    The fans are in this thread proving every last word of what the reviewer states, this is golden.
    "How dare you say something negative about our game, how dare you think we have a horrible community, how dare you write a review that doesn't agree with everything we pretend the game is. You are biased, you are a carebear.... ME ANGRY!! ME MAD!! REVIEW BAAAAD!!!
    You folks are priceless, and the worst of you are two people that have admitted over and over that they don't even play the game anymore, they want to argue so bad that they act offended just to try and start an argument... absolutely fabulous....
    I'm sorry I didn't come back to this thread earlier, I'm laughing so hard I may crap my pants....
    This article drove all the angry roaches straight out of the basement.

Try understand while you read, instead of using that time to form you next "I pawn" post.

Thanks.

Instead of attempting to school people on how to read (which they seem to be doing well enough) maybe you should stop acting like the review was a personal affront to you, who do not even play AoC.

The review was spot on about the community, this is proven by the reactions of every player posting in this thread, the accusations, the anger, the attempts to discredit jedijef by undermining his professionalism and his integrity.

But please, continue ranting and raving about how your feelings are hurt by a review of a game you don't play.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Idk MrB, repeating three times your equally insulting 'Random user post'  comment to someone named by the managing editor as being an 'official reviewer' in the same thread can be construed as spamming, don't you think?

Where are your 'debate' premises, other than the original post? Where is the constructive argument, the counterpoints made after the initial defense? You just spewed out the same thing, so in any logical debate, it's 'spamming'.  You may not see it because you were trying to make a point,  but the insistence in which you reiterated yourself showed a lack of 'decorum' on your part in this.

I read perfectly fine, friend, though reading is only half of a written discussion, writing obviously being the other.

Instead of attempting to school people on how to read (which they seem to be doing well enough) maybe you should stop acting like the review was a personal affront to you, who do not even play AoC.

The review was spot on about the community, this is proven by the reactions of every player posting in this thread, the accusations, the anger, the attempts to discredit jedijef by undermining his professionalism and his integrity.

But please, continue ranting and raving about how your feelings are hurt by a review of a game you don't play.

This guy is speaking officially for this website, people who play AOC visit this website, it's very likely they are going to have some issue with being criticized by industry professionals.

This is basically the equivalent of the xbox mag, saying only yard apes play on xbox live. That may be funny for those who play playstation. However, those who play xbox are going to think twice before reading and trusting what that magazine has to say before spending their money on games it recommends. It could cause some to quit reading/posting here all together, which hurts no one but mmorpg.com.

This has nothing to do with how the game was scored, it has everything to do with the way you show respect to those who are visting your site.

As I said in my first post in this thread, I don't disagree with the game getting a 6-7( I'd go with a 7 personally, judged by the standards present in official reviews here), I take offence to being called a neanderthal however.

Take the forum war b.s. somewhere else, I'm sick and tired of arguing over ad hominem rehetoric.

Originally posted by Malickie

This guy is speaking officially for this website, people who play AOC visit this website, it's very likely they are going to have some issue with being criticized by industry professionals.
    This is basically the equivalent of the xbox mag, saying only yard apes play on xbox live. That may be funny for those who play playstation. However, those who play xbox are going to think twice before reading and trusting what that magazine has to say before spending their money on games it recommends. It could cause some to quit reading/posting here all together, which hurts no one but mmorpg.com.
    This has nothing to do with how the game was scored, it has everything to do with the way you show respect to those who are visting your site.
    As I said in my first post in this thread, I don't disagree with the game getting a 6-7( I'd go with a 7 personally, judged by the standards present in official reviews here), I take offence to being called a neanderthal however.
    Take the forum war b.s. somewhere else, I'm sick and tired of arguing over ad hominem rehetoric.

I hate to interject against you once again Malickie, but nowhere does it say neanderthal in the review either. I just don't understand where those insulted get that.

He uses '"Unfortunately handicapped by the general asshattery of its player base.." but nowhere does he call the playerbase idiots or neanderthals. I wish ppl would spend more time reading and less time convincing themselves of their self-righteous claim to victimization. I've read it twice, so please tell me where he says that.

Originally posted by whisperwynd

I hate to interject against you once again Malickie, but nowhere does it say neanderthal in the review either. I just don't understand where those insulted get that.

He uses '"Unfortunately handicapped by the general asshattery of its player base.." but nowhere does he call the playerbase idiots or neanderthals. I wish ppl would spend more time reading and less time convincing themselves of their self-righteous claim to victimization. I've read it twice, so please tell me where he says that.

Sure about that?

/snip

Cons

Grind-Geavy Mid to High Level Progression

Lack of PVP Risk/Reward

Neanderthal Player Base

Post-20 Quest Content

Under-Developed Crafting, Social Games

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Maybe you need to take your own advice.

Copy pasted from the review.

Cons

Lack of PVP Risk/Reward

Neanderthal Player Base

Post-20 Quest Content

EDIT: Malickie was quicker than I with the copy paste.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

Sure about that?
    /snip
    Cons

Lack of PVP Risk/Reward

Neanderthal Player Base

Post-20 Quest Content

Lol, I guess I slammed that door on myself pretty hard, didn't even see that window.

Never one to argue when I'm wrong, I apologize for not seeing it and you can omit everything I said in that last post. 

Then I have no choice but to agree with you on your comments, and how insulting you may feel.

Originally posted by lugal

Maybe you need to take your own advice.
    Copy pasted from the review.
    Cons

Lack of PVP Risk/Reward

Neanderthal Player Base

Post-20 Quest Content

EDIT: Malickie was quicker than I with the copy paste.

Yes he was, but thank you also for showing it. I love to debate, and even though I sometimes am proven wrong. I try to be 'gracious' in defeat. 

Sure about that?
    /snip
    Cons

Lack of PVP Risk/Reward

Neanderthal Player Base

Post-20 Quest Content

Lol, I guess I slammed that door on myself pretty hard, didn't even see that window.

Never one to argue when I'm wrong, I apologize for not seeing it and you can omit everything I said in that last post. 

Then I have no choice but to agree with you on your comments, and how insulting you may feel.

Again no worries..  honestly, it's not that I'm offended (I'm sure someone has been), I just find it highly questionable Stradden passed it with such a polarizing comment within it. There are a number of ways it could have been said, that definitely wasn't the right one.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324

You stated that you didn't read the full review, so your opinion really has no merit.

And how can you be so upset, anyway, you don't play AoC, it says in your sig that you currently play LOTRO, did he say anything negative about Ex-AoC players that quit to go play LOTRO? I didn't see anything about that in his review...

And as far as your xbox magazine versus MMORPG. How much money does it cost to sub to MMORPG? Now, how much money does it cost to sub to xbox magazine?  You also fail to mention that Microsoft owns both Xbox and Xbox magazine. MMORPG just owns MMORPG. Apples and oranges, dude...apples and oranges...

And I am not the one starting any forum war, you seem to be at the forefront of the "AoC reviewer lynch mob", I just think that all the hate that this fair review has garnered is uncalled for, and it also proves the reviewers statement.

To that, I must admit I am also baffled. If it was overlooked, and Stradden was simply defending someone, I could understand. Though that tends to lead to mud in the face on everyone involved (in politics anyway). 

You stated that you didn't read the full review, so your opinion really has no merit.

And how can you be so upset, anyway, you don't play AoC, it says in your sig that you currently play LOTRO, did he say anything negative about Ex-AoC players that quit to go play LOTRO? I didn't see anything about that in his review...

And as far as your xbox magazine versus MMORPG. How much money does it cost to sub to MMORPG? Now, how much money does it cost to sub to xbox magazine?  You also fail to mention that Microsoft owns both Xbox and Xbox magazine. MMORPG just owns MMORPG. Apples and oranges, dude...apples and oranges...

And I am not the one starting any forum war, you seem to be at the forefront of the "AoC reviewer lynch mob", I just think that all the hate that this fair review has garnered is uncalled for, and it also proves the reviewers statement.

I do play AOC, just haven't updated that in awhile if you're that curious you can find the posts I made about returning in my history, shouldn't be to far back.

It's not about the money, it's about the respect. This site thrives on it's members visiting, just as a magazine thrives on subscribers. It was the closest example I could think of at the time, sue me.

I haven't been going after anyone's throat or trying to provoke them. My comments were my personal opinion on the review, I've only clarified my point in response to others. How exactly is that causing a forum war? It's those who feel the need to provoke individuals over their opinion that's causing the continuation of this debate and the confrontation.

The reviewer attacked players on a personal level, no one is doing so in return (if you didn't bother to  notice). I think that proves the complete opposite tbh.

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

Your major mistake was to expect any sort of professionalism from MMORPG.com.

Originally posted by Obee

You're probably right.. I mean hey, nge's a better game than aoc ,right? rofl!

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

To be fair, the reviewer is only a random fan who writes about SWG when advertising that game as a correspondent (that has been how the correspondent program has been described every time the posters here complain that the correspondent posts read like advertisements), but he is an official part of MMORPG.com when he writes a review.  MMORPG.com doesn't let useless things like ethics get in the way.

To be fair, the reviewer is only a random fan who writes about SWG when advertising that game as a correspondent (that has been how the correspondent program has been described every time the posters here complain that the correspondent posts read like advertisements), but he is an official part of MMORPG.com when he writes a review.  MMORPG.com doesn't let useless things like ethics get in the way.

I didn't even realize it was the same person.

• GhistGhist Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Stradden

I think anyone who reads this (at least, i hope) would see that the review thinks anyone who players FPS games are some sort of mouth breathers (again, its on the internet), and decided to treat an entire player base with his own preconceived notions, and quite frankly dislike of that genre. I’m not even sure with this in mind that this person was even the right pick for the job, because he walked in with this notion before hand. This is where any comments about the community loose credibility. Like I said:

Ok, bloody well enough. Not just the poster quoted here (I'm not picking on you Bloodworth, no worries).  Nowhere in the article did he say that  "Everyone who plays Age of Conan is a neanderthal. he said that this was his overall impression of ther community at large. As I saw it, he was also pretty clear about the lkinds of behavior that he felt justified the remark. Please, just let it go.

Maybe he should not  have said Neanderthals.  More likely he should compared it to playing in a den of thugs, thieves and murderers who have next to no regard to anyone or anything beyond their own self centered enjoyment.  With no control over any griefing, AoC almost promotes this type of play.  Neanderthal no, juvenile most definitely.

At least he didn't mention the beginning month of racial epitaths which were so common in general chat.

And he isn't alone in commenting about the community.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/138-Age-of-Conan

Waiting for the next thing

• SteelroseSteelrose Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by _Shadowmage

okay enough with the idiots thing - Steelrose made that up.

I didn't make anything up. I wrote there that I'm paraphrasing and changed the word neanderthals to idiots. Want to argue about who's more intelligent? Idiot is 0-25IQ and what do you think, how well would neanderthals score?

• monothmonoth Member Posts: 551

Anyone who has played on a PvP server will agree that the player base on these servers are Neanderthals...  There whole point of ganking is to grief players for no reason, for some reason they get a kick out of it, so I think the term "Neanderthal" definitely applies to them...

Now do all players on PvP servers gank?  Nope, but the majority do....  Thats why when developers try to put mechanics in place to help prevent ganking there is a huge out cry because gankers don't want to be punished for killing a person who is 60 levels below them....

God forbid if a new person tries to play on a pvp server 2 months after the game starts... They won't have a chance in hell of leveling..

Originally posted by monoth

Anyone who has played on a PvP server will agree that the player base on these servers are Neanderthals...  There whole point of ganking is to grief players for no reason, for some reason they get a kick out of it, so I think the term "Neanderthal" definitely applies to them...
    Now do all players on PvP servers gank?  Nope, but the majority do....  Thats why when developers try to put mechanics in place to help prevent ganking there is a huge out cry because gankers don't want to be punished for killing a person who is 60 levels below them....
    God forbid if a new person tries to play on a pvp server 2 months after the game starts... They won't have a chance in hell of leveling..

There's also people who play solely to take people like that out, that's my favorite thing to do on a pvp server. Soon we'll get rewarded for doing so.

• templarxtemplarx Member UncommonPosts: 181

I agree on the community comment but i don't believe it's entirely to be blamed on the "community". If you allow "human nature" and "anarchy" free reign in a game, this is what you will get. I have had 4 running subs of different MMOs in one month [WoW,AoC,WAR,CoX] , and must say everytime i logged into AoC it took me less than 20 minutes to feel utterly disgusted with the PvP antics of some of the players. And no, i do not believe it's anything to do with "not having a thick skin" or whatever, it is imho:

Funcom allowing

a] Smacktalk between opposing players [this alone breeds discontent and alot of "aggressive" chatter]

b] No rules, No factions , No objective, No sense to any PvP going on. [And no, Culture-PvP in it's current state is pathetically broken]

c] Too many abusive exploits [the way you can be spawn camped for one], which is not considered "abusive" or "griefing" at all by anyone playing the game it seems.

I can deal with a fair amount of PvP ganking and such, i can deal with people being competitive ,heck i can deal if some lvl 80 Ranger literally follows me around and kill me everytime i try to do a quest for no aparant reason once in a while..but if all of that happens -every- single time i log on, -everywhere- and -everyone- seemingly thinking it's how Free-for-all PvP must work, then i really start to wonder "is this really fun" ?

So when i decide "this is not fun" and every single AoC player telling me "go roll PvE noob" , guess what? I leave the entire game and go play Warhammer , which is also touted as a PvP centric game, but for some reason i never felt i'm on the receiving end of someone's inferiority syndrome...i wonder why? And no it's not the "community", it's all in the game design. In the end, who actually wins when half the playerbase feels similar and don't roll PvE but simple roll on another game where PvP works?

In fact, in WAR i literally die 7+ times every 15 minutes..alot of the time i die after i was outnumbered 3 to 1, or even 10 to 1. I die less than that in AoC! Yet i feel victimized in AoC and not in WAR , reason? In AoC 80% of my deaths are "had no fighting chance" + "no logical reason" .

I do not believe the WAR community is any different from the AOC community, i do however believe the game is configured to keep the community "in check" preventing this exact "slippery slope" from occuring.

It's even more amusing how Anarchy Online got LESS "anarchy" than Age of Conan. In fact, it's properly structured into 3 factions , all with nice checks and balances to keep things somewhat "humane". I actually loved the 3 faction system [vs. the 2 faction system in WAR/WOW], i'm just surprised AoC who obviously DO have 3 nations did not implement their own friggen faction system from AO....

• phluuxphluux Member Posts: 211

Neanderthal playerbase sums it up nicely. Just read through this thread if you don't believe it.

• VandragoVandrago Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by bcrankshaw

A good review and accurate opinion for most of the AOC community
    The only aspect of the  article I disagree with is the score ,I would give it 5/10

I couldn't agree more. I also agree with the person who posted about the middle of the road man, and sitting on the sidelines. I think there's just too many people who roam the AOC boards just looking for an argument. You can see it everyday. They will disagree with someone no matter who it is on a daily basis.

I also agree with the review, but I would do as bcrankshaw said and given it a 5.

Great review...