Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Updates from Around the Web

Comments

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Well this is a bit of a dissapointment.... After reading this and seeing the graphics I'll pass...

• courtsdadcourtsdad Member Posts: 326

The beauty of SWG was that you could be both the farmer and hero. The options were great and opens up to a much larger  market. Franky a sandbox with options is overdue ( I am tired of  "forced" guided tours)but I guess we have to settle for what we can get. Hopefully as some have said, the graphics arent "clone wars style" because that would be a step in the wrong direction.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by courtsdad

The beauty of SWG was that you could be both the farmer and hero. The options were great and opens up to a much larger  market.

Sandbox environment and freedom of choice is synonymous to a larger player demographic? I don't think so. The publishers have to cater to the masses, and most probably that is what they will do with SWTOR.

Originally posted by Hrothmund

The beauty of SWG was that you could be both the farmer and hero. The options were great and opens up to a much larger  market.

Sandbox environment and freedom of choice is synonymous to a larger player demographic? I don't think so. The publishers have to cater to the masses, and most probably that is what they will do with SWTOR.

I completely understand that sandbox may not be the masses choice nor the big money pot that the software companies would like it to be, But why make another MMO that does nothing but feed you lines out of a story and lead you around by the nose? I mean go make a movie or another single player game,

• Shanks123Shanks123 Member UncommonPosts: 99

i just cant wait

I'm Here. I'm Awesome. Get Used To It.

• HrothmundHrothmund Member Posts: 1,061
    Originally posted by Balkin31

I completely understand that sandbox may not be the masses choice nor the big money pot that the software companies would like it to be, But why make another MMO that does nothing but feed you lines out of a story and lead you around by the nose? I mean go make a movie or another single player game,

If it looks good in a powerpoint presentation to the financial director, it will be greenlighted, that is why.

Let's take a look at a typical situation:

First, there is a trend-setting product that is extremely successful. After this, a wave of carbon-paper copies appears and the owners of the original product start noy only to cash in but also to keep up with the competition with accessories, newer versions of the product and by lowering the price of the original product.

What ensues is either that the original product remains dominant, the market evens out so that numerous manufacturers have a similar share of the market, or one of the copy-cat competitors gains an edge on the original product and takes a clear market lead.

Right now, most MMO developers are trying to be that unique alternative provider that will eventually surpass the current marke leader (WoW) as the top dog.

The market being what it is, and international business world having been awakened to risk management, what kind of product do you think will make it? An already proven concept, with a strong IP to back it up and enough unique elements to lure in customers, or game that closely resembles previous titles that have had either mediocre success or been failures? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

The Star Wars IP, a proven and respected developer, extreme community interest. To be honest, it would not be hard for even me to sell a pseudo-Guildwars story and PvP-driven Star Wars MMO to the board of directors. However, I still urge you to chill out. Nobody knows what the game is like yet, all of what I just wrote is just a presumption, like all of the other related babble on these boards.

Originally posted by Balkin31

If it looks good in a powerpoint presentation to the financial director, it will be greenlighted, that is why.

Let's take a look at a typical situation:

First, there is a trend-setting product that is extremely successful. After this, a wave of carbon-paper copies appears and the owners of the original product start noy only to cash in but also to keep up with the competition with accessories, newer versions of the product and by lowering the price of the original product.

What ensues is either that the original product remains dominant, the market evens out so that numerous manufacturers have a similar share of the market, or one of the copy-cat competitors gains an edge on the original product and takes a clear market lead.

Right now, most MMO developers are trying to be that unique alternative provider that will eventually surpass the current marke leader (WoW) as the top dog.

The market being what it is, and international business world having been awakened to risk management, what kind of product do you think will make it? An already proven concept, with a strong IP to back it up and enough unique elements to lure in customers, or game that closely resembles previous titles that have had either mediocre success or been failures? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

The Star Wars IP, a proven and respected developer, extreme community interest. To be honest, it would not be hard for even me to sell a pseudo-Guildwars story and PvP-driven Star Wars MMO to the board of directors. However, I still urge you to chill out. Nobody knows what the game is like yet, all of what I just wrote is just a presumption, like all of the other related babble on these boards.

Of course money is the factor.... We all know that without saying it. And I do know what the game is going to be like, Bioware has given us more than enough to understand what it is they are trying to make. As for chilling out... I'm chill believe me, chilled enough to say pass on this game.. Don't be offended there are lots of games other people like that I wont play.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I've experienced the Hero Engine first hand, they made an excellent choice for the engine. It is pretty much a 3d Modeler setup (think Maya, 3d Max) that has a built in model database that modelers can import the models in. The world builders can pull up the library and drop and drag the model where ever, the programmers can load up the world builders space and add code to the space wherever they want. It is insanely customizable and dare I say the best engine ever built in terms of time saved and organization. As far as graphics go, they can go from a smooth stylized look to a more realistic look.

I'm sure what they are shooting for is a more stylized WoW look something that older PCs can run, they are not looking to glorify the insane system builders that need the best every time a new piece of hardware comes out. A huge percent have older PCs it would be in any companies best interest to appeal to the masses rather than a small percent.

All we are seeing is concept art, I'd wait for a screenshot before saying it's too "cartoonie".

It is amazing how quick people come to conclusion that the game will blow without much viable info on it. /sigh.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by Hashbrick

I've experienced the Hero Engine first hand, they made an excellent choice for the engine. It is pretty much a 3d Modeler setup (think Maya, 3d Max) that has a built in model database that modelers can import the models in. The world builders can pull up the library and drop and drag the model where ever, the programmers can load up the world builders space and add code to the space wherever they want. It is insanely customizable and dare I say the best engine ever built in terms of time saved and organization. As far as graphics go, they can go from a smooth stylized look to a more realistic look.
    I'm sure what they are shooting for is a more stylized WoW look something that older PCs can run, they are not looking to glorify the insane system builders that need the best every time a new piece of hardware comes out. A huge percent have older PCs it would be in any companies best interest to appeal to the masses rather than a small percent.
    All we are seeing is concept art, I'd wait for a screenshot before saying it's too "cartoonie".
    It is amazing how quick people come to conclusion that the game will blow without much viable info on it. /sigh.

Thats really interesting ! where did you experience the Hero Engine if you dont mind me asking ?

• CesarkanCesarkan Member Posts: 3

Thanx fore the update.

Oh no not another jedi wanabie mmo.

Damit I dont wanna run around in a star wars world what ever time line it may be with hunders on hundreds of jedis and sith running around showing off there ow so fency and sexy lightsabers having names like Lokie Starwalker, damit why oh why I ask you where is the fun in everyone being so damed powerfull there is no real point in having classes in a game like this since well every jedi can do ennything that another jedi can do there are no jedi that are better at say healing then another and so on the only thing that may differ is how powerfull you are in the force or in the training of the lightsaber but still there is no real diference between them.

What is the point in being a sith soldier if you have a jedi or sith fore that matter that can just throw you away or take you by the throat, what point is there to be a medic and heal when a jedi can just uce his powers?.

Kotor whas a grate game in single player but when it coems to mmo well its just gonan be a bounch of players running around with lightsabers and who are able to do everything and even if theya devide sith and jedis into diferetn classes like healers and dps'rs it wold only make it worse since in the true meening of star wars lore that diference or class diference or rather skill diference is non existing in the star wars universe.

I love bioware,kotor and star wars and I LOVED the old star wars galaxies but fore the holy Yoda dont make this into a DAMED jedi franshise.

Or what do you people think?,

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525
    I am surprised, a post in this thread that I completely identify with. Too bad many of the hardcore SWG-style sandbox advocates will just read; "I want a wow clone with no depth and a level based progression system, which is bad.. mmkay..." when they see your post.

Glad that there are others who realize that a good MMORPG doesn't have to allow players the "freedom" to grow crops for a profession.     

It's always amazing how people constantly forget that good games are based on rules and restrictions.   Strategy in a football/basketball game is only possible because of the rules, otherwise it's no different than a bunch of kids on a playground fighting over a ball.    

"Sandbox" has been one of those marketing gimmicks that MMORPG developers love to use for marketing hype but they seldom manage to deliver.    Single player RPGs can do the sandbox concept justice because they don't have to worry about thousands of other players who can each ruin each other's individual gaming experience.  EVE Online is probably the closest to a successful sandbox MMORPG but it hardly has a huge audience and not much of any kind of storyline from what I've heard.

It will be interesting to see how Bioware delivers on a MMORPG that they claim will place such emphasis on storyline.     You can be certain they won't try to do it by providing a "sandbox" format in their MMORPG.

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

Judging by the screen shots, the graphics look closer to The Clone Wars animated movie rather than more realistic graphics, like SWG strived for. The lightsaber in that one Jedi's hand looked like he was holding a spray paint can, it was huge, quite contrary to the elegant weapon the lightsaber is.

At first I thought the oversized lightsaber was supposed to be like an old, low-tech version of a lightsaber.  But those weren't in the KotoR we they?   Unless lightsaber tech took a step backward since the end of that series.    The more stylized look is not surprising, it's easier for more PCs to run and very often ends up looking better than MMOPRG graphics that try to look realistic. 

• SowihoSowiho Member Posts: 11

It sounds like it wont be a sandbox game :( too bad.. and whats up with the companion thing..  and yeah 100.000 jedis in a theme park.. hope not

Bla bla blabla

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329

Hate to say this but story driven? Hereo based? Come on man... The nge failed with hereo classes and cookie cutter linear gameplay.. Honestly this sounds like an online single player game with a monthly cost.. seriously, bioware wake up... I was a huge pre cu swg fan, and am a big star wars nerd in general.. This game isn't tickling my funny bone here..

I know people were saying back on the soe-swg forums stuff like ioware shuold take over etc.. But honestly, bioware games have an overabundance of story and lore.. I mean way over the top.. And their games always lack fun gamelay... kotor series had crap graphics/ui/combat.... It had awesome stats, character info/progression.. It really did a great job on skills and feats it was amazing and exactly what swg was lacking.. but I look at their recent game like never winter nights 2 and I fail to see how there going to pull off a fun mmo... I total suspect this will be an online single player game... which makes paying a monthly pointless..

You know what I want.. I want a star wars game like jedi knight academy type action gameplay coupled with kotors stat/specials/feat system.. And about half of the quests and story... I hated, no.. I despised AoC's quest dialogue window crap.. Seriously, that will wreck this game horribly... Bioware, wake up... Man, what a dissapointment this is to read..

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yep another theme park MMO, with very little ability to set yourself apart from others.  Sounds just like they took Kotor and made it multiplayer.  Watch all the Jedi's with their light sabers.  I knew Bioware would stink up the place with another lame duck game.

Chalk up another loser MMO in a long line of them lately.  No one has the guts to innovate any more.

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

I think there are far too many people on these boards looking at this situation as so black and white when it comes to a linear game and a sandbox game. This game by the sounds of it does not seem to be a 100% linear adventure. From the sounds of it the freedom element of it comes out in the story. Also do not forget there is going to be space combat here too which has yet to be seen. The game will not be as bad as people are touting. I am sure it will far surpass my expectations because I have none for it. I enjoyed the KOTOR games (although the original was far superior to the sequel) and I have no doubt I will buy the game and at least play it for a month. I do think that Star Wars in general is done to death though. Seriously someone needs to take Lucas's toys away from him.

This is his story....

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Some more info

NancyMcIntyre

Hello all!

Firstly allow me to share with you the celebration and excitement at the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic. I am sure this will be a game to look forward to!

My friends at Lucas Arts have asked me to pop in and share some of the news you have all been waiting for!

Star Wars : The Old Republic will not contain the excessive amount of reading and complexity the classic SWG game had - we are aiming for an instant gratification (kill, loot, repeat) system you've all want. We have conducted extensive focus group testing these past few years and are giving everyone the chance to immerse themselves in an iconic and starwasy environment. As such, we are delighted to share that your initial encounter with Darth Raven will be as an unforgettable event as they come!

Best Regards,

Nancy.

• jamigrejamigre Member UncommonPosts: 280

Seriously, like seriously, I'm all for the companion part, but other than the IP this game dounds exactly like every other MMO that has hit the market since EQ. SW is great, and I do LOVE bioware as a developer but somehow I just cant seem to get that excited about this one. Too bad though.... would have been great to have a fun functional bugless sandbox mmo.

-------
    Check out my side project http://lfger.com/  - a mobile lfg tool for any game, any time. 
    -------

• gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

God what a bunch of whiners....seriously...its not even passed alpha and you all are too blind enough to see that this is not even CLOSE to what the finished product. I think most of you kids need to learn how MMOs are truly made. As for myself Im really excited for this and cant wait to see what its like when it launches because IM atleast smart enough to know that what u see now is not even what its going to be when its done. god...

• googajoob7googajoob7 Member Posts: 866

i m very skeptical but it would be good to see a decent scifi mmorpg .

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by metatronic
    Nancy your a twit...

Take that with a grain de sel, there was no LA or Bioware Icon or nothing by her name nor account.

• SynEaterSynEater Member Posts: 63

I am a big Starwars fan from the games,comics (esp. in this time period), movies and the table top rpg when all it was a D6 system. I trust Bioware to atleast not bend me over like AOC did.  The idea of having companions does make it sound way to much like KOTOR and am worried about being isolated with class only content but c'mon guys let them alteast get to beta and give more information about the game then what is already posted...which is almost nothing before we burn them at the stake here. All they said is we are making the game and already there posts of how bad the graphics look and sandbox is the only way to go.

Now to add to this speculation of the gaem I bet there will be different Jedi types as there were in the D20 system and I wonder fi they will stick with the D20 lvl pregression

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Gamespot got a video

• metatronicmetatronic Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by Deewe

Originally posted by metatronic

Nancy your a twit...

Take that with a grain de sel, there was no LA or Bioware Icon or nothing by her name nor account.

She works for Lucas arts and had a hand in the NGE.. Shes a moron plain and simple..and I getcha .. it could be an imposter which they can also find the same 10 story building/window..

• RooseveltRoosevelt Member Posts: 341

You know why I respect Bioware more than any other company. They came into the MMO scene wearing no shoes. By that I mean we expected nothing. In other big name games like AOC they started the first day saying how they would have large warfare and diverse classes and all this. They had huge shoes to fill and at the end of the day they were just a midget trying to step into a size 16 boot. Bioware as of right now could slip into a toddlers size three sandle and be home free. Of course you know what they say about men with small feet right?

This is his story....

• BrancoCastelBrancoCastel Member Posts: 18

Friends from Brazil says:

GO GO GO!

- Branco -
    LOTRO
    Captain from House of Telperion
    @Landroval