Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It looks like those horridly cheap saturday mourning disney shows...

2»

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

The original Trilogy of Star Wars is dead.

Now everything is stylized cartoon sh**.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    Originally posted by Terranah

I'd have to see more screenshots to really feel comfortable with my conclusion, but based on what I have seen so far I would say I am not liking the graphics.  They appear to be going with a more stylized approach, but then even for stylized I don't find them particularly appealing.  At this point, SWG graphical style looks better...

On the other hand, if this is what i have to look at to have good framerates, so be it.  Performance and gameplay will trump graphics, and the graphics while unappealing to me personally are not a deal breaker.

More screenies 4 you:

and one more:

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

Originally posted by charlizd

Why do ppl think because they dont like something that every 1 else should accept there opinion? Maybe others like the Artstyle OP and they dont want it changed, maybe ppl like how the new series looks, why is it because you dont ike it does it have to be changed? i know this is what in your opinion should be changed but you are coming across as if you are the higher voice that should be listened to.
    Maybe base your argument off of your opinion instead of making assumptions as to what everyone else wants and likes.

I don't have to simply because you've already made the point that your not a StarWars fan, nor have you been following the franchise of games and books for over 10years. I'm sorry that you like the Anime Art-Style they are going with, but quite frankly it just is NOT Star Wars, and they will fail horribly trying to attain the NGE-Refugees from SWG.

-Fact

Wait, George Lucas? I didn't know you post here!!!!

Oh wait, you're not George Lucas? Then why should anyone listen to what YOU think Star Wars should look like?

Also, please follow this link and tell me how THAT screen looks anything like Tabula Rasa now.

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/016/016535/img_2115414.html

That is from 2004 when the game was in ALPHA testing, but then again you were there so you know that right?

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

Originally posted by singsofdeath

Why do ppl think because they dont like something that every 1 else should accept there opinion? Maybe others like the Artstyle OP and they dont want it changed, maybe ppl like how the new series looks, why is it because you dont ike it does it have to be changed? i know this is what in your opinion should be changed but you are coming across as if you are the higher voice that should be listened to.
    Maybe base your argument off of your opinion instead of making assumptions as to what everyone else wants and likes.

I don't have to simply because you've already made the point that your not a StarWars fan, nor have you been following the franchise of games and books for over 10years. I'm sorry that you like the Anime Art-Style they are going with, but quite frankly it just is NOT Star Wars, and they will fail horribly trying to attain the NGE-Refugees from SWG.

-Fact

Ever considered that they do not build this game just for those?

Seriously, many SWG Vet's seem to think BioWare is there to please only them. That's a little weird to think, don't you agree?

Edit: @Terranah: As i said earlier, I personally so far have a big problem with the Lightsabers. The character models are...meh so far. Nothing big, nothing too bad. The backgrounds and the rest of the art seem to be perfectly fine in my eyes. But as you said, in no way is anything I have seen so far a dealbraker.

My Apologies singsofdeath, I'm just outright pissed off with how cartoony and Anime'ish this looks. I'm not going to jump to conclussions just yet, but if they don't do anything drastic before launch, they have officially killed the Star Wars Genre in terms of gaming.

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

-Fact

Again you are making assumptions and am telling me of what i am or i am not? how in the hell do you not know i am that i am a Star wars fan? and that i have not been following the franchise for over 10 years? and how does this give you any more credibility because you have, so you are telling me that becuase you class yourself ans a star wars geek you have more rights than me as to how the series and game should be? you my friend need to take a look at yourself and get off your high horse, you , and i dont care how long youhave been following Star Wars franchise have no more right than any other person out there to anything other than your opinion, and please dont judge what i am without knowing me to begin with.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • DarkenedDarkened Member Posts: 183

You obviously didn't alpha test Tabula Rasa. The overall graphical art style remained the absolute same. The only thing that changed between alpha and launch about the graphics were the "enhancements", aka: Anti-Aliasing, Vsync, shader enhancements, and shadows. Oh, and btw I didn't keep up with the alpha "screenshots", because I was too busy ACTUALLY testing it and immersed within them, rather than sitting on a website looking at several month old screenshots.

No, it didn't. The entire engine was scrapped and massively overhauled during the initial stages of pre-production, they decided it didn't fit the vision they had for the style of game.

They then implemented the current system, try finding some screens of what TR originally was going to look like and then tell me the game remained "absolutely the same" in terms of graphics, from alpha to launch.

You were never involved in the alpha or any early stages of testing, that much is blatently obvious to those of us that were.

-Fact

Again you are making assumptions and am telling me of what i am or i am not? how in the hell do you not know i am that i am a Star wars fan? and that i have not been following the franchise for over 10 years? and how does this give you any more credibility because you have, so you are telling me that becuase you class yourself ans a star wars geek you have more rights than me as to how the series and game should be? you my friend need to take a look at yourself and get off your high horse, you , and i dont care how long youhave been following Star Wars franchise have no more right than any other person out there to anything other than your opinion, and please dont judge what i am without knowing me to begin with.

I've not made a single assumption about you. Any Star Wars fan could tell by how your defending Bioware's chosen art-style that your not a "Star Wars" individual, and I'm also not making assumptions by the fact I know the general age of the Star Wars franchise's player base is something around the 30s range, of whom are not particular fans of a company taking a realistically based genre and spinning it into that of a WoW copycat.

Originally posted by Burnthebed

-Fact

Oh wait, you're not George Lucas? Then why should anyone listen to what YOU think Star Wars should look like?

Also, please follow this link and tell me how THAT screen looks anything like Tabula Rasa now.

That is from 2004 when the game was in ALPHA testing, but then again you were there so you know that right?

Sorry, I was making a bad joke about Tabula Rasa. What I was trying to get across is that they remained with their art-style from alpha to launch, ie: complete horse crap. Then again I was intending for it to be a really bad joke, I thought you'd get it....my bad :)!

Originally posted by Darkened

You obviously didn't alpha test Tabula Rasa. The overall graphical art style remained the absolute same. The only thing that changed between alpha and launch about the graphics were the "enhancements", aka: Anti-Aliasing, Vsync, shader enhancements, and shadows. Oh, and btw I didn't keep up with the alpha "screenshots", because I was too busy ACTUALLY testing it and immersed within them, rather than sitting on a website looking at several month old screenshots.

No, it didn't. The entire engine was scrapped and massively overhauled during the initial stages of pre-production, they decided it didn't fit the vision they had for the style of game.

They then implemented the current system, try finding some screens of what TR originally was going to look like and then tell me the game remained "absolutely the same" in terms of graphics, from alpha to launch.

You were never involved in the alpha or any early stages of testing, that much is blatently obvious to those of us that were.

Thank God someone else remembers what Tabula Rasa was before it became what it is =P

• purposepurpose Member UncommonPosts: 13

I personally dont care if these screens are fresh from current builds or just eye candy, All i care about is that bioware does a good job and gives back an swg that will develop at the very least a community like precu. I  thought about it all day yesterday during the press conf release that I was listening to. I accept this the kotor era and everyone is gonna be running around lightsaber happy, I accept the fact jedi probably wont be earned but just clicky, all i care about is that we have mass amount of profession to choose from, detail character creation, and community that rocks old school. Went a little off topic a bit  but anyway who cares about graphics from what Ive gathered over the course of time and data that been release from steam from time to time is the majory of ppl havent updated there graphic card is a long time specially in the time frame max to play wow a recommend but this just an observation ive notice this doesnt include everyone. But graphic really dont matter

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

Originally posted by singsofdeath

-Fact

Ever considered that they do not build this game just for those?

Seriously, many SWG Vet's seem to think BioWare is there to please only them. That's a little weird to think, don't you agree?

Edit: @Terranah: As i said earlier, I personally so far have a big problem with the Lightsabers. The character models are...meh so far. Nothing big, nothing too bad. The backgrounds and the rest of the art seem to be perfectly fine in my eyes. But as you said, in no way is anything I have seen so far a dealbraker.

My Apologies singsofdeath, I'm just outright pissed off with how cartoony and Anime'ish this looks. I'm not going to jump to conclussions just yet, but if they don't do anything drastic before launch, they have officially killed the Star Wars Genre in terms of gaming.

Apologies are not necessary. I know how hotblooded things can get when one is a fan.

I really like Star Wars. And I am looking forward to this, despite the graphics so far. For the most part, that is because I believe in BioWare to deliver a quality game.

I just hope people keep an open mind to this, especially when the announcement is only a day old.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

Even if the graphics look like that I realy hope they get the animations right.  For instance when running I want to feel like my characters feet are hitting the ground and the ground reacting the right way depending on what type it is.  Also I want  the sounds to be accurate too. 

And other things such as putting away weapons such as light sabers on my hip.  Or grabbing them with force before a fight.

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

The screenshots are pre-alpha and the game only got announced 2 days ago you miserable dolt! Yet here you are bitching, my goodness, I think this forum will soon see the worst of the Ex-AoC/Ex-WAR crowd.

O_o o_O

Originally posted by Burnthebed

-Fact

Sorry, I was making a bad joke about Tabula Rasa. What I was trying to get across is that they remained with their art-style from alpha to launch, ie: complete horse crap. Then again I was intending for it to be a really bad joke, I thought you'd get it....my bad :)!

Eh, no worries, sorry I didn't catch on.

Here is my advice, and of course take it with a grain of salt because who the hell am I right? But yeah, my advice is to just hang back for a while and let them hesh out what their vision is of the game, and eventually you will know whether or not to play it. Though I personally think those current screens are far below what I'd like for the game (I'd personally like something more akin to Force unleashed...realistic) I'm gonna wait to pass judgement till it is closer to release.

Though I can understand why you're upset, seeing as we've all been waiting on this announcement for like 2+ years and when it came it's, well,  "Eh"

• tormundatormunda Member Posts: 34

I also agree with the OP.

The cartoon style mmo's are not my cup of tea thx.

- Tormunda

• DarkenedDarkened Member Posts: 183

original TR screenshots:

www.markeedragon.com/screenshots/showgallery.php/cat/572

Clearly nothing like the game turned out, seems someone has literally no idea on the subject which they chose to debate. Big surprise for these forums.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by purpose

I personally dont care if these screens are fresh from current builds or just eye candy, All i care about is that bioware does a good job and gives back an swg that will develop at the very least a community like precu. I  thought about it all day yesterday during the press conf release that I was listening to. I accept this the kotor era and everyone is gonna be running around lightsaber happy, I accept the fact jedi probably wont be earned but just clicky, all i care about is that we have mass amount of profession to choose from, detail character creation, and community that rocks old school. Went a little off topic a bit  but anyway who cares about graphics from what Ive gathered over the course of time and data that been release from steam from time to time is the majory of ppl havent updated there graphic card is a long time specially in the time frame max to play wow a recommend but this just an observation ive notice this doesnt include everyone. But graphic really dont matter

I have to agree for the most part, the 'grown-up' community i found in swg hasn't been matched in any other game i've tried since and the graphics may not  look the same at time of release and may not even represent the style of gameplay

however most ppl don't seen to like the style of the graphics they've seen so far and I have to admit I'm amongst them, the character models look to me like they came from star wars the kids game and if they do represent the style of gameplay the swg community is unlikey to exist in swtor and u'll have a WOW community

personally i'm keeping my fingers crossed they take note of the fact ppl here aren't liking what they see so much and do some work that will encourage the 'grown-up' swg community to keep watching

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

-Fact

I've not made a single assumption about you. Any Star Wars fan could tell by how your defending Bioware's chosen art-style that your not a "Star Wars" individual, and I'm also not making assumptions by the fact I know the general age of the Star Wars franchise's player base is something around the 30s range, of whom are not particular fans of a company taking a realistically based genre and spinning it into that of a WoW copycat.

Actually i'm not defending there Artstyle i simply said IMO it was ok, i was however defending that it is everyone's right to like the style and that just because you don't like it does not mean we have to not like it. So basically because i dont have an issue with the Pre-Alpha graphics i'm not a Star Wars Fan O.o nice thx for making things clear to me. I will admit i'm not some Uber Satr Wars fan but i know what i like and dislike, i played SWG back in the Day for quite some time too, i own all Videos/DVD's of all Star Wars series i think? to be honest even sat down with my daughter the other day and Watched Caravan of Courage, You come across just like most of the others who think because you dont like it we have to follow suit,well i'm sorry but have every right to like it as much as you dislike it and maybe if they stuck with these Graphics it would Hurt it but the thing is you are wanting something you will not get in return, This will not bee the new SWG it will be a new game with a new direction, Graphics, gameplay, Story, and Community, plus what ever it has to offer.

You call me out as not being a Star Wars Fan because i think the Graphics are not that bad to be honest if this what the Community is gonna be like some one not being as cool as some one else because there knowledge is not up to there standards then  hell i dont want to be a Star wars Fan and certainly dont want to be part of the game that is gonna attract ppl like this.

No More from me My time can be spent on something worth talking about, something that does not require me to be an uber fan to be able to have an opinion.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • killjoy626killjoy626 Member Posts: 24

Because good ole Lucas would NEVER use Star Wars to just make MONEY!!! 

Honestly the OP must be living in some kind of alternate reality where the Star Wars lisence HASN'T been pimped out like a 2 dollar whore... 

• tormundatormunda Member Posts: 34

I would like to think that the graphics would improve 10 fold by the time it went live.

However I am too old to wait for promises on Mmo's as we all know thats an empty feeling. So i'll make my judgements for now on what we have.

You have to remember, these are the screenshots that their marketing department decided to show us, in order to get us excited.

Sadly i'm not excited. However, i'm just 1 customer and there are plenty out there who may well be excited by such screens.

- Tormunda

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898

Ok I admit I am not thrilled out of my pants. I have no prob with the landscape, given its Alpha, and given the Hero Engine can do decend landscapes. LOTRO didnt need high polygon counts to make good landscapes, thats mode a matter of lights, ambience asf.

But the characters... phew... shoot me, but indeed they look a bit too cartoony indeed. They are early alpha, so there is hope it evolves, if fans are loud enough (and be respectful; nothing helps less than bashing and trolling over it!).

Still, many MMOs looked meh in screenshots and still good in the game itself. I never played WOW for long, but the screens always looked horrible to me but it real I found it decend enough. Not to say TOR will be like WOW, heh, just an example. I guess we have to see. Just keep in mind those uber graphic killers like Vanguard and AoC all fell flat on their noses with the too high spec demand. I hope they make the chars less edgy, less oriented towards that ugly Clone Wars models, and I think there still is time and room to evolve them.