Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWGs Official Forums

Comments

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Whether the plug is pulled or not is a moot point. The SWG population drain is already evident with the dead servers, and will even be more obvious when SW:TOR starts recruiting Alpha & Beta testers. The day the game goes live, you will not be able to distinguish the currently populated servers from the dead ones we see now.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

I will now concede to Gutboy, you may be right.  The game may continue on for the next 10 years.

However, I will not resubscribe to this game and I will tell you why.

You know the misleading statements SOE has made in the past. The specific mistakes SOE has made.  Mistakes admitted to by former employees.  Mistakes that were never officially acknowledged by SOE.  You have heard the vets list the specific examples and I am sure you have lived through some.  I understand if you won't or can't acknowledge them now.  It doesn't matter because I have seen these mistakes first hand.  I have seen the carrots, lies, hustling of this game's customers, and disrespect SOE and LA lamented to faithfull customers.

I do not trust SOE.  I do not trust anything SOE or LA publicly say about this game.  They have hid behind the EULA "game may change" several times as justification.  Recently they outclassed Elder robes when the stated purpose of that robe was " to reward vet players and set them at a high level" (paraphrased).  This was justified by "nobody said it was stay that way for ever."

I submit the "no end in sight" statement recently stands only at the moment it was said.  Today, tommorow, five years from now as it is convinient they will say "at that time we had no sight, but today we are shutting down.  The EULA says we can."

I have had fun with the NGE.  I liked the GU5 WS upgrade.  I might of played it if I thought I had time to play it to its fullest.  But I don't trust any statement officially made about this game unless it goes into the EULA.  I want "No Sooner Than Shut Down" dates written into the EULA as well as full sub refunds if the game shuts down before the date.  The refund will cover fron the moment that date appears in the EULA to the date.  They can also push the date into the future, never shorten it.

This time SOE and LA can save their empty promises concerning this game.  I want it in writting in their EULA.  This is what this game's earned reputation deserves.  I as a customer won't accept anything less.  As a result, they are not receiving my money for the NGE.

And before any pro SOE/NGE says I'm crazy or asking for the impossible ask yourself this:

How much more secure would you feel about the future of the game you play if NSTSD dates enforced by refunds were in the legal EULA.  Or do you trust the "game may change" out clause that they used before won't be used again.  Yet alone the "we can shut it down any time we please for any reason clause."

All just my opinion.

Cheers!!!

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• jat5560jat5560 Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Gutboy

Well LEC already said that they are allowing two SW games to be in the market at the same time (Jake Neri). I "bashed" the game now known as TOR simply because of people like you who want "sandbox" and the game is NOT sandbox.
    I personally think that former KOTOR players will fully enjoy TOR, and people that want a open game world with the ability to do what they want when they want will feel TOR is a EPIC fail. 
    What Bioware did yesterday:
    Step 1: Announce title.
    Step 2: Fanbois rush the official forum in order to get the low player number that enhances the chance of getting into beta.
    Step 3: Every armchair designer in the world pops on to any forum that includes the title in question to post up their half-assed ideas for how the game "should" be, and how it will fail if it is just "WoW in <insert location / costume>". The longer you leave the period between announcement and launch, the more these threads will be repeated.
    Step 4: The developers announce features that they are 95% sure will appear in the final version. The length of time from announcement to launch sees that 95% chance drop in direct proportion.

What they should have done:
     KOTORO anouncement is "yes, we are developing KOTORO and beta starts tomorrow" then Bioware would be doing it right.
    They didn't. They are doing it wrong. It was actually better as a badly kept secret, because then it could be mysterious and attract hype without actually guaranteeing anything. Now, however, they'll have to quantify what they've been doing. The info dump yesterday sounded a lot like a bunch of "here's some really cool ideas we thought of" but little in the way of actual implementation.

So have you guys realized that Bioware Austin is neither Lucasarts or Bioware yet? I mean what did you expect from the unholy child of old SOE Austin and Wolfpack?

Anyone who uses the term "epic fail" is not to be taken seriously.  Go back to WoW.

• jat5560jat5560 Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Thunderous

When did LucasArts or more importantly LucasFilm say that they were going to allow SWG and TOR to compete with each other?
    When was this said?

It was said yesterday here is the quote:

"We're looking to continue to support Galaxies with high-quality updates on into the future," said Jake Neri, producer for LucasArts' online division. "We're focused on a chapter release around Hoth, where we're re-creating the battle at Echo Base. We'll allow players to get in groups and jump in and just participate in a very high-quality battle. We've just released a trading card game inside of Galaxies, and fans are eating it up. Looking into next year, we're going to revamp our droid system with something called droid commander." Neri also said that SOE Austin was working in conjunction with LucasArts on further additions to Galaxies for years to come, with no end to the game in sight.

So unless you say that TOR's release is "no where in sight" both games will be active at the same time.

lol

They also said that Jedi would NEVER be a starting profession. They also said that Creature Handler would be getting some cool loot drops from Mustafar (then they deleted creature handler from the game). They said the FRS was almost ready...ect ect ect...  They also said that capital ships are almost done.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by salvaje

The SOEforums are flooding with tears of "DeNile"
    Even Valara posted the offical lie of the day:
    ---

The amount of energy, resources, and enthusiasm being thrown at The Old Republic raises one obvious question: What about Galaxies? LucasArts was emphatic about the fact that there's enough room for two viable Star Wars MMORPGs to co-exist.
    "We're looking to continue to support Galaxies with high-quality updates on into the future," said Jake Neri, producer for LucasArts' online division. "We're focused on a chapter release around Hoth, where we're re-creating the battle at Echo Base. We'll allow players to get in groups and jump in and just participate in a very high-quality battle. We've just released a trading card game inside of Galaxies, and fans are eating it up. Looking into next year, we're going to revamp our droid system with something called droid commander." Neri also said that SOE Austin was working in conjunction with LucasArts on further additions to Galaxies for years to come, with no end to the game in sight.
    ---
    No way in hell there is any truth to this.
    Sure, they will continue with their once every 3 months lipstick jobs on this pig with their team of entry level college intern Devs (who are being trained on the NGE for future employment at DCMMO)  until the plug is pulled.  Which will happen soon as the new game is released.  Anyone who believes otherwise is completely denying reality.
    There is no incentive for SOE to put anything into this.  In fact, I expect them to start working to sabotage Bioware.  They may even sue.

LOL! What? There has never been any "high-quality" updates for SWG ever

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

Players of SWG have a couple of years left to play but it looks like they just got there official eviction notice. Once TOR is nearly finished or goes live, it will be the the end of SWG.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

I was just thinking that if there was an anouncement of closure (I doubt it myself) then those who bought into the TCG for the loot cards are gonna be pissed.

• SuperMattSuperMatt Member UncommonPosts: 36

www.gamespot.com/news/6199726.html

The amount of energy, resources, and enthusiasm being thrown at The Old Republic raises one obvious question: What about Galaxies? LucasArts was emphatic about the fact that there's enough room for two viable Star Wars MMORPGs to co-exist.

There's enough room for two "viable" Star Wars MMOs to co-exist. The key word is viable. SW:NGE is down to an estimated 9 devs(www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/202626), has no expansions, isn't sold in stores and doesn't have SWG2 coming after it. Not from $OE anyway. ;) Viable? lol

'We're focused on a chapter release around Hoth,

Hoth was supposed to be a full planet at launch and was rumored to have been finished at launch. Then it was going to be an expansion. Now it's been hacked into an instance. This isn't the "high quality" I'm looking for. Moving along.

Neri also said that SOE Austin was working in conjunction with LucasArts on further additions to Galaxies for years to come, with no end to the game in sight.

That means 366 days at which point they'll be able to say 1.x years and still technically be truthful. No end in sight means no end date that the consumer can see.

Bonus conspiracy theory: The free character transfers may never happen. It's a gimmick to keep people paying by giving them a goal to wait for. $OE has used this trick repeatedly since the beginning. I remember in 2003 a dev said the combat revamp was being worked on. Then in July 2004 another one(?) said the combat revamp hadn't even been designed yet! Making character transfers free involves changing the $49.99 box to $0. That's not something that takes months and months to do. My theory is the whole free transfer thing is yet another con to hang onto as many subs as they can until the game closes when SW:TOR launches.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793
    Originally posted by Suvroc

I was just thinking that if there was an anouncement of closure (I doubt it myself) then those who bought into the TCG for the loot cards are gonna be pissed.

Lol would you be surpised? I wouldn't. How many years have they been doing this since EQ? Hmmmn.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• Raiz1Raiz1 Member Posts: 177

If swg dies then whatever, its dead.

If it continues to live, they actually have more options open to them now depending on whether or not LEC untightens its grasp on gameplay.

All in all I will continue to play SWG and give TOP a try as I give most games a try. There's no harm in trying and SWG will still be around I'm sure. Its still a viable alternative depending on the community you play in. but then again I guess you could say that about most games.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

"The Old Republic" will be LucasArts' second online "Star Wars" game. "Star Wars: Galaxies" was released in 2003, but the popularity of the multiplayer game — which takes place after "Episode IV" — has since dwindled. LucasArts online director Tom Nichols said "Galaxies" will remain open but will be completely separate from "The Old Republic."

"The marketplace will obviously tell us what will happen," said Nichols. "We think the games can live side-by-side. They obviously have very different timelines and will have very different game mechanics. 'The Old Republic' really has an emphasis on story."

I wouldn't feel too safe if I was playing SWG right now.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Here are some of those pcitures some of us have been looking for about some of the population during the Halloween event they look pretty bare and devoid of people... heres the linky forums.station.sony.com/swg/posts/list.m

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Why do you think they are making this new Star Wars MMO for the hell of it? No, cause the NGE failed thats why and now they are making thier SW game the way they actually want it, leaving the NGE in the trash.. and the word is that TOR will be seeing beta next year. So no 2 yrs for the NGE still..less way less than that.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

*True SWG fan enjoys open world style gaming not a single player KOTOR type questing, with a Guild Wars like psuedo MMO RvR combat system tagged on to justify both the 'MMO' title and the inevitable monthly fee to go along with it (which is what TOR is.

Too late , the CU/NGE has destroyed that and put classes and levels in, boring quest lines and instances and made it a single player experience. The True SWG fans have abandoned the game since.

If all have had left this Nov 15  2005  we may still had what true SWG fans enjoyed and there would have been no market for KOTOR online today.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by firefly2003

Why do you think they are making this new Star Wars MMO for the hell of it? No, cause the NGE failed thats why and now they are making thier SW game the way they actually want it, leaving the NGE in the trash.. and the word is that TOR will be seeing beta next year. So no 2 yrs for the NGE still..less way less than that.

Interesting, you refer with 'they' to 2 completely different companies. Bioware is not SOE lol. I can see SOE keeping SWG running for years. Its not as if SOE sees low subs as reason to shut down a game. Those 2 games also wont be comparable in timeline or MMO type.

To me NGESWG and Vanguard will stay niche as they currently are. And wouldnt be surprised if they would keep it years to come.

• talanisentalanisen Member Posts: 46

And the current SWG devs are putting out some great product. Now that we know that TOR will be a EPIC Fail (for the true SWG fan*) and the announcement from LEC that SWG will continue on for years I am fully satisified.
    *True SWG fan enjoys open world style gaming not a single player KOTOR type questing, with a Guild Wars like psuedo MMO RvR combat system tagged on to justify both the 'MMO' title and the inevitable monthly fee to go along with it (which is what TOR is.

ROFL... literally can't stop laughing. Talk about epic self deception.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

And the current SWG devs are putting out some great product. Now that we know that TOR will be a EPIC Fail (for the true SWG fan*) and the announcement from LEC that SWG will continue on for years I am fully satisified.

Whoa, waitaminute, let me get this straight, SOE with a terrible track record putting out great product vs Bioware with an excellent track record putting out an epic failure? Naive at its best especially from a SWG fanboi.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Why it's nice to see I was correct about  SWG (Sorry Jestor I told you so...Maybe now you can just let it go and move on)  I wouldn't say that SWG is anywhere close to a quality product...but it may become playable with continued refinements. I'm glad they will be putting in NPC Vendors that actually have products that are in demand, and getting rid of those Dumbass Mission terminals finally.  As the game becomes more episodic and less make your own fun I think we will see folks gravitate twoards the game.

I just want to be here when Bioware announces that SOE will be publishing and Hosting TOR as well as SWG.

Many "Vets"   will no doubt jump off their SW Manga collection that day. lol

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by todeswulf

I just want to be here when Bioware announces that SOE will be publishing and Hosting TOR as well as SWG.

Do you honestly believe Bioware and EA is going to let their MMO become apart of the Sation Pass?

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715
    Originally posted by Suvroc

Do you honestly believe Bioware and EA is going to let their MMO become apart of the Sation Pass?

No not really but it is fun to yank Vets chains especially since their dreams of SWG closing are once again dashed. LOL

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

So sad to see how some people putting so much effort in to tell people that SWG is dead/going to die.

When the fact is that they knows nothing. FFS i have been lurking at this forum for years, and there is just about 1 thread about this everyday.  But hey,  the game is still around and they dont care that you have left, they dont care what you think or want to happen with SWG.

And iam very sure that the people still playing SWG has no interest in the new SW-mmo for many reasons.

If it lives it lives, if it dies it dies...thats it, no matter what you say!

And just for the record, iam not even playing SWG. (I have though, and probably will again)

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

Actually there is no reason not to belive SWG will be around, hell they just expanded the dev team by five, and sign another five year lease to their offices in Austin.....which are in a seperate buliding from the other SOE offices there. It's funny watching the "Vets" (Did you guys fight in a war or somthing?)  go nuts becasue the game just won't die. SWG will most likely take another huge hit when TOR goes live. When that happens the only people left playing will be SOE fans.

Oh and from what I am seeing TOR devs already hate your ass...I never saw so many  locked/deleted (and I persumed banned) post than I did last night, so much for bending Bioware to your will. TOR devs hate vets asses? Don't be stupid.
    So lets recap.
    SWG going nowhere Smed is laughing at you We have been laughing at Smedley for years.
    SWTOR isn't going to give you anything close to your PRE NGE Sandbox in fact the Devlopers and Mods have zero tollerance for you guys. Few people have been asking for TOR to be like pre-CU SWG. I for one hope that TOR is very unlike the NGE.
    EMU still isn't working and not likely too. Speculation on your part.
    I guess there is somthing to be said for letting go and the futility of revenge. Yes, let your hate for SWG vets go.

And the current SWG devs are putting out some great product. Thats a matter of opinion. Now that we know that TOR will be a EPIC Fail (for the true SWG fan*) and the announcement from LEC that SWG will continue on for years I am fully satisified. You have no idea of the game will fail or not. You may hope so but that does not make it true. You have proven yourself as a SOE fanboy.
    *True SWG fan enjoys open world style gaming not a single player KOTOR type questing, with a Guild Wars like psuedo MMO RvR combat system tagged on to justify both the 'MMO' title and the inevitable monthly fee to go along with it (which is what TOR is. I will judge the game when I play it.

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Originally posted by Thunderous

When did LucasArts or more importantly LucasFilm say that they were going to allow SWG and TOR to compete with each other?
    When was this said?

It was said yesterday here is the quote:

So unless you say that TOR's release is "no where in sight" both games will be active at the same time.

And we all know that nobody who works on SWG lies about the games future -

Hi this is August calling, Jestor "predicted" the sunset date for SWG would be announced then.

And we know that nobody who bashs SWG lies about the games future either.

It's one thing for an individual to say when a game will close down and quite another when an official associated with that game says something that they know is a lie. You can check SOE's history of lying to its player base. I put LA/LEC in the same basket as SOE, I trust neither.