Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Is there too much emphasis on Scenarios in this game?

It is in my opinion that there is far too much emphasis on Scenario play. Playing Nordenwatch, Morkain Temple, and Tor Anroc over and over and over again is draining my will. Meanwhile T1, T2, and mostly T3 RvR lakes are barren. Hardly a soul in sight. It is sad to see a portion of the game that has the potential to be the most fun, completely abandoned. Wasn't it the whole idea behind the game? If I want to play constricted, instanced scenarios over and over again, I'll go play Guild Wars.

Scenarios give far too many rewards for people to simply stop playing them. How do you get players to engage in open battles where loot drops and exp are more sparse?

I'm interested to see what others think, so here is a poll!

Comments

• CropperCropper Member Posts: 198

I agree.  More rewards for RvR would be a start, at r15 I've gotten over 3k xp for a single kill in open RvR which is nice, but I seldom run into anyone.  I don't think people necessarily need items to be motivated to RvR, most people run scenarios to level so just add more xp whether it be from quests or from defenses and keep takes.  More scenarios at each tier would be a nice addition down the road also.

• AliothAlioth Member UncommonPosts: 236

I have no idea why scenarios are there at all. The point of the game is to engage the opposite side in open RvR. I suppose it would be difficult to completely remove scenarios, but if I had it my way, that's exactly what they would do. Mythic should be very careful about how they approach this matter in the next month or so because this issue, if left untouched, is going to scare a lot of subscribers away.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

I dont think Mythic was thinking right when they put scenarios in the game.  I bet they just did it cuz WoW has battlegrounds.  I dont know how devs can be so damn stupid.

• EndlosEndlos Member Posts: 127

Scenarios should be the snack between RVR battles, not the primary means of leveling.  It's come up in other threads, but I specifically think we don't need a nerf to the rewards that scens give, but RVR needs to be significantly more rewarding than it is, and slightly more rewarding than Scen grinding.  If it's just the same, people will still do Scens because its easier.  RVR is harder, make it worth more (exp, renown, and money) for participating.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

IMO i would give renown rewards as is for scenarios only and have seperate rewards for ORVR that are superior by quite abit. This way people with less time will still be able to get something, but encourage people to actually fight for a keep.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

Scenarios are so good that you dont even have to play since others can do the killing while you watch the XP given to you without doing nothing. Thats why many go to scenarios. It's a win win. You dont even need to learn how to play your class, XP is giving to you no matter what. I know people that just go to scenarios to knockback the opposite faction into the lava. Have fun!

edit: I am not against scenarios, I think the XP reward is ridiculous, thats what needs to be changed.

• CropperCropper Member Posts: 198
    Originally posted by Alioth

I have no idea why scenarios are there at all. The point of the game is to engage the opposite side in open RvR. I suppose it would be difficult to completely remove scenarios, but if I had it my way, that's exactly what they would do. Mythic should be very careful about how they approach this matter in the next month or so because this issue, if left untouched, is going to scare a lot of subscribers away.

I'm all for giving players as many things to do as possible, so I wouldn't ditch scenarios, just de-emphasize them to a large degree.  Mythic has patched pretty aggressively from what I've seen so far so hopefully they shift the focus from scenarios to rvr.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Why people pick scenarios over open RvR..

They are a lot easier to get into.  Plain and simple.

The teams are usually even.

You gain more xp in a scene then open RvR due to More people being in Scenes..

Get rid of a few of these..

Oh.. also there would be more open RvR combat if you couldn't just fly into that zone.

Like, maybe a res point in a Warcamp.. but a warcamp  you CAN'T fly to..  

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

So now the shift has focused to Scenarios vs Open RvR? 

I gotta tell you, scenarios are both a blessing and a curse.. and if 90% (as the poll stands right now) believed that Scenarios shouldn't be played then 90% of the scenarios would be empty and many more people would be in Open World RvR.

You guys make it sound like Mythic led you to do scenarios against your will. Each one of you can make the choice to go to Open World RvR. I actually find MORE of an emphasis on RvR then scenarios. 

For a scenario you've got 2 repeatable quests per tier - per area. Thats about 6 repeatable quests in all.  For the RvR areas, and scout missions alone, you've got triple that. Literally Triple the chance to go into RvR, and fight opposing armies, but for some reason, those quests don't get done as much, and people grind scenarios.

1) Is because scenarios are even, and you can't test your skills when you're outnumbered 10 to 1... or even 3 to 1.  On a level playing field its more about who plays the game better then just numbers. 

2) I've been in alot of OW RVR groups.. and alot of which people just don't know, what the hell to do.  I was in a keep siege yesterday... oh.. my... I .... I just have no words to describe it... these people sat on the stairs between keep levels 2 and 3, with 17 players, and wasted 30 minutes of their life because they didn't know what to do.  Try to get 17 different players to listen to 1 person. Especially when each of them thinks they know better.

3)  RvR rewards are the same as Scenario rewards, you get the same loot drops, in fact, sometimes you get even better loot drops because many times you can get set quests from completing OW RvR quests.  So the rewards are the same  --- Except, in Scenarios you KNOW at the end of 15 minutes you get your big XP boost, in RvR who knows how log it will take to take the keep, or take out the Control Points.  Especially with the group I stated above.   Disgusting....

So really if you look at it, the game is balanced.. its the players that aren't balanced... if the majority wanted open world RvR then they would play it....  ... right?

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by maskedweasel
    You guys make it sound like Mythic led you to do scenarios against your will. Each one of you can make the choice to go to Open World RvR. I actually find MORE of an emphasis on RvR then scenarios. 

Considering the horrendous amount of RP and EXP you receive from Scenarios in comparison to Open RvR lakes, I would say "yes", they are in a way, forcing us as it is the main means for progressing in this game. Just my two cents though.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Stellus

Considering the horrendous amount of RP and EXP you receive from Scenarios in comparison to Open RvR lakes, I would say "yes", they are in a way, forcing us as it is the main means for progressing in this game. Just my two cents though.

That somewhat makes me feel like you didn't read my post all the way through.  Lets take T2 for example.  On the losing end of T2 you can maybe come off with 100 RP worst case scenario.. maybe with an average highpoint of winning a scenario of 450.  Thats safe to say for T2 for around a level 12-15... and that high point is a really high point considering.

Taking a single CP which you can take all 4 in 30 minutes.... taking 1 CP... give you about 300 standard.  So you can make a possible amount anywhere between 400RP and 1840RP, or make an exact amount of 1200RP just from taking CPs.  That doesn't count any opposing sides you meet on the way, or taking the keep.. much less the entirety of the area, which can triple the amount of RPs given.

Also these things scale with level so keep that in mind. Now XP like I sad, for each RvR area you've got at least 4-6 quests minimum each with with a 1200 - 3000XP bonus for completing the quests.  Overall the actual XP rewards almost equal out, except that killing champs and heros give great XP then killing regular players.

So overall I think they are pretty much on par with eachother.  The big difference between the 2 are that scenarios are equal and take less time.  But there are many more quests pointed to RvR then there are to Scenarios.. so I think all arrows point more towards OWRvR then scenarios.

Thats just how I see it.. eventhough I am a scenario hog.

• Scenarios are a symptom of a larger problem, which is unbalanced populations.  Believe me, I tried playing rvr plenty of times.  But after being overwhelmed by chaos over and over and over again most order folks think that it's far more worth our time to do scenarios.  We know we'll get a fun fight without zerg overload.  RvR's a neat concept in theory, but I have yet to see it work properly in game.  Perhaps what we should really be looking at are larger scenarios, with say 40 vs 40 or higher.  I know I'm not looking forward to massive zerg fests at end-game which will do nothing more then lag out my computer trying to process 200 opposing players not to mention players on my own side.

• SidereusSidereus Member Posts: 316

it doesnt matter if u boost Open RVR rewards because people wont move their asses... I mean u can sit and just do scenarios in chain people will take that option because it's effortless because to do Open RvR u have to find a Group , convince the people to come, dont lose them on the way to the BOs...etc... and there are still a lot of people that like doing scenarios...only few people dont like them and that's the point they like Open RVR too...but it's too much job

what I tought the keep siege would be is like in lineage2 there u had settled time for Castle sieging so the whole server knew when the siege was and when to attack /defend the castle...in WAR people just take the keep and let it for someone to take it because it is much more rewarding to capture it again later...ofc sometimes u have resistance and THEN it's AWESOME but if u dont have that resistance...keep siege has no fun factor...only Phat lewtz Factor because of the LORD PQ

if you dont know about the castle thing of lineage2...look around the web...it was rly epic battles ( most of the time)

end of my wall-of-text

QUESTION:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xridnasa:
    -
    What's a "grocery store"? Is that like McDonald's?
    -
    ANSWER:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidimazz:
    -
    Kind of, just without the rapist.

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434

Ohh so wait.. you are going to scenarios cause they Less fun and yet give more reward.

You Chose less fun for more reward???/

Whos fault is that?  LOL

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

Maybe you should read the State of the Game address and the recent posts about the up coming patch 1.1 where they're addressing the needed buffing to rewards for the RvR Lakes.  They won't nerf scenarios but they will buff the Lakes and make them more rewarding. 

Honestly my guild raids the T3 lakes 2 times a week not counting the times we just randomly warband the moment we see Order taking control of anything.  If your looking for lil 6 man skirmishes you probably won't find random fights like that for now.  We spent 2 hours in T3 Dark Elves RvR Lake cutting off reinforcements while another guild was taking a Keep (we already had a claim on another keep so we simply had a good time fighting off enemy reinforcements).   It was a rather massive fight and pretty damn fun too.   People are Open RvRing its just not as much as expected with the size of the zones.  

Personally Scenarios are quick cheap thrill but it doesn't drop the good loot or give the fantastic RP which makes me wonder why everyone loves them so much...with people catching up to T3 finally though more open rvr fights are starting to take place on a regular basis.    When the patch goes through ... well it'll be pretty awsome I hope.

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Pangaea

Ohh so wait.. you are going to scenarios cause they Less fun and yet give more reward.

You Chose less fun for more reward???/

Whos fault is that?  LOL

My point is that there is no one to fight in the lakes. Who am I supposed to have fun with out there, myself? Oh...wait, that's just wrong.