Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the RP active on the villain side?

glordglord Member UncommonPosts: 338

I'm considering RPing a bad guy, but is the RP active on the villains side?

Comments

• trell169trell169 Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by glord

I'm considering RPing a bad guy, but is the RP active on the villains side?

Some do, some don't.

I'd like to think so, but that might mean stabbing other players in the bak more often, and that's just not 'sporting'. I tend to roleplay in my dialog, including the macro'd ones tied to power use.

I saw one VG I was in suffer a...'hostile takeover', and it left some serious bad vibes, I almost let those toons lapse completely.

Network01001

The Chaosnaught series of killer AIs

Guardain, VG: Techno Union

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Thats the biggest problem with roleplaying in my opinion. There are a lot of people who are bad guys for real and use "roleplaying" as an excuse to be a bad guy on the internet too, thinking that will somehow make it okay. I've seen a lot of that kind of crap in PvP games where people "roleplay" as pirates or whatever so that they have an excuse to go on indiscriminate killing sprees. Its like murdering someone in real life and then pleading insanity at the trial.

If you are determined to roleplay as a villian, I would suggest you try to connect with a guild that has been around for a few years (atleast) and roleplays different things in different games (avoid the ones that try to carry the same story from one game to the next). If they look like they have been around the block a few times without too many problems that would decrease the chance that they are backstabbing asshats.

• CainurkCainurk Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Raltar

Thats the biggest problem with roleplaying in my opinion. There are a lot of people who are bad guys for real and use "roleplaying" as an excuse to be a bad guy on the internet too, thinking that will somehow make it okay. I've seen a lot of that kind of crap in PvP games where people "roleplay" as pirates or whatever so that they have an excuse to go on indiscriminate killing sprees. Its like murdering someone in real life and then pleading insanity at the trial.
    If you are determined to roleplay as a villian, I would suggest you try to connect with a guild that has been around for a few years (atleast) and roleplays different things in different games (avoid the ones that try to carry the same story from one game to the next). If they look like they have been around the block a few times without too many problems that would decrease the chance that they are backstabbing asshats.

Caaaarebeeeear. We looooooove yoooooou.

Roleplaying is roleplaying. If you want to roleplay a hero, be heroic. If you want to roleplay a Villain, be vile. If I roleplay a bad guy in tabletop, I'll rape, murder, and betray, so long as it serves my character's personality.

That's the problem with MMORPGs now adays - no one roleplays.

• RaltarRaltar Member UncommonPosts: 829

Its funny how you assume I'm a carebear just because I'm opposed to being ganked by 20 guys talking in pirate voices. Is that the definition of carebear these days? Maybe it is. But I highly doubt that you enjoy being killed in situations where you had zero chance to defend yourself, by people who had nothing to gain beyond an oppertunity to laugh at your misfortune.

There is a differnce between roleplaying a bad guy because you enjoy it and roleplaying a bad guy because you enjoy having an excuse to disrespect your fellow gamers.

And honestly, I would not be sad to see roleplaying dissapear completely if it would force everyone to face the reality that the other "players" in the game are real human beings who will actually be effected by their actions in the game world.

• themiltonthemilton Member Posts: 353

I don't think anyone's actually answered Glord's question. If I'm reading it correctly, he's not asking if you roleplay but about the quality/amount of RP in general.

Glord, there's a lot of low-level RP. Ninja-only villain groups, for example. Or there was another for "younger" characters - Arachnos Youth or something like that.

The missions would be slightly more in-depth RP: Kidnap Dr. Z, Steal the Tome of Mu, etc. However, it's not very character-specific. Everyone else is doing the same missions. But if you like wanton destruction and causing mayhem, there are the mayhem missions you can earn by doing missions from the newspaper.

Most of the RP is going to come from your backstory and how you interact with others. If you're a loner and want to solo, that's fine. But if you want to join a team and stab some backs, the game just doesn't allow that - no "killing" teammates.

-------------
    The less you expect, the more you'll be surprised. Hopefully, pleasantly so.