Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stargate Worlds will be the World of Warcraft for Science Fiction MMORPGs!

Comments

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by denshing

Originally posted by burdock2

I kid you not, from what i have seen and read, this game will leave all other Sci-fi MMORPGS for dead.Most of what i've seen are 3 seconds of someone shooting a gun so what have u seen?  It will be the last nail in the SOE SWG coffin.that's more likely to be SWTOR  It will be what Tabula Rasa should have been and it will set the bar so high that Bioware will have to really work their magic to compete with a possible KOTOR Online. there's even less information available about SWTOR than SGW so can't really comment
    This game will appeal across a broad spectrum of players, not the least including:
    Stargate Fans
    MMORPG Fans
    Sci Fi Fans
    FPS Fans
    Role Playing Fans this all depends on the game few ppl know anything about

It would not suprise me that the subscriptions will  head into the millions and it will take the world by storm, again depends on the game  followed by a new show (Stargate Universe) and new movies (Stargate Atlantis). i seriously doubt this

Prepare to be BLOWN AWAY! i do hope so

Chevrons are locked and standing by..

No it wont, as i am a MMO fan, i am hating the fact that this is "Stargate worlds" And will not even give it a chance on the fact that it is related to stargate alone. ahhh so sad, don't care and why are you even posting here then? Just like i will not play a Start trek MMO, and there are alot of people like me. Thats why stargate worlds and STO will always be complete NICHE. rofl you wish have seen non-st fans saying they may give STO a try if it looks any good and this is the way it should be if they do the game right

Did you know there is a buffy the vampire slayer MMO being made?, I am sure they will call it a killer of other mmos, the fanbois of every MMO say this i'm guessing even the SWG fanbois will say this  but it is still way to niche, I am sure Stargate worlds will do decent, but it will not be nailing any coffins, this is probaly true seeing as 99% of the current SWG playerbase are all starwars fans which couldnt give a damn about SGW,i'd say it was 50% and if leave for anything, it will be for the new SW MMO in production.

first off SWG now has under 5,000 active subs so those numbers aren't going to make a difference to any game

second WOW does so well because it is deliberately average and unoffensive and doesn't require any sort of skill or indeed intelligence in order to play it,  it has low system requirements and is well advertised.  Any game that wants to compete for the WOW playerbase is going to have to do the same so I'm hoping SGW isn't even going to try

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,830

To the OP- I have to disagree. It doesnt even come close. 

• baumjoebaumjoe Member Posts: 4

dude first of all every true star wars fan left swg along time ago that game is a dead husk of its once semi decent sand box nno self. second there are two mmo markets fantasy which is games like wow everquest age on conan. The second catagory is sci fi which is things like swg eve online star gate worlds. sci fi mmos are a niche market its a farction of all mmo's. and of course in the two major catgorries there are more niches. My point is star gate worlds has good potental to be a mmo killer in the sci fi market.  also swg was a huge mmo back in the day.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I see no rpg in this game, just a mmofps. sorry but i dont feel it will reach wow status.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888
    Originally posted by ethion

Sadly I'm expecting this game to hype and burn like so many recent games...
    I LOVE The Stargate world IP and I think it is a perfect platform for an exciting and interesting MMO.  My fear and I'm virtually certain it will come to pass is that the game will be released lacking polish, with missing features, and with massive bugs.  On the name of the IP the game will sell like mad, then it will die faster then fire under water.
    I'm kinda hoping the game will be like TR but with more depth and more RPG but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

As if my initial reaction wasn't bad enough I'm now virtually certain this game will flop.  Reason being the economy.  If there was any hope before of the game surprising me and working well it is gone now.  With funding drying up one of two things will happen. 

1. The game will die before it even ships due to lack of funding and an inability to finish it.

2. The game will ship but missing lots of features, scaled down, and buggy as hell.

Lets face it until the economy turns around we won't be seeing any good solid games.  I think that wow has raised the bar so high that companies frankly underestimate the investment required to produce a competative game. 

The only hope is probably certain international areas where labor is cheap...

---
    Ethion

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

I kid you not, from what i have seen and read, this game will leave all other Sci-fi MMORPGS for dead. It will be the last nail in the SOE SWG coffin. It will be what Tabula Rasa should have been and it will set the bar so high that Bioware will have to really work their magic to compete with a possible KOTOR Online.
    This game will appeal across a broad spectrum of players, not the least including:
    Stargate Fans
    MMORPG Fans
    Sci Fi Fans
    FPS Fans
    Role Playing Fans

It would not suprise me that the subscriptions will  head into the millions and it will take the world by storm, followed by a new show (Stargate Universe) and new movies (Stargate Atlantis).

Prepare to be BLOWN AWAY!

Judging by the sheer excitement you portray from your wording and how you layed it out i'd say your a big Stargate fan, for your sake i hope the game does well. I'm not a fan of WoW in fact i seriously don't like it but your aiming way too high by saying it could have millions of subs. I enjoy watching Stargate and have looked into the MMO myself, and i use the term MMO loosely with this type of game. personally from what i've seen and read it's a FPS with a bit more depth and a monthly fee.. I'm not slagging the game off as it's a different standpoint from current MMOs and that novel and makes a change, but to think it will realistically reach millions of subs is going a bit too far OP.

You say "It will be the last nail in the SOE SWG coffin." Now i've said things liek this before and been proven wrong as the game is still running, not even half as well as it used to but it is still going. I've learned that saying something like this is the same as saying things like "oooh <game name> is the WoW killer".  it's completely false and not worth saying anymore.

Like i say i hope it does well for a different aproach to MMOs but saying what you have in your OP is you getting excited over something your looking forward to. That doesn't mean it will kill anything or be as successful as anything else. Only time will tell what happens these days m8.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

I wish forum trolls would stay away - thankfully, the genuine SGW community is nothing like this one. We are one of the best community's around, which goes to making the overall gaming experience better. When you have negative communitys like WoW, AoC and WaR - it really brings a game down, if people dont like the game, for whatever reason, then DONT PLAY IT!
    I accept all well reasoned constructive critisicm from educated guesses at this stage (it hasnt even entered closed beta yet) and no game is perfect, certainly not WoW, SWG, AoC and not even WaR.
    This post is comparing apples and apples, putting this game up against its direct competition, being Tabula Rasa, Anarchy Online and Star Wars Galaxies. And I must say, even in it's pre-closed-beta form, it kicks them all.
    It is not the most highly hyped Sci-fi MMORPG for no reason! Which reminds me, if you havent hyped it yet, it is waiting for you 10 score!
    SGW for the win...

Oh and the WoW comparison is a metaphorical analogy.

where are you getting all this information about the game, in order to make these statements?

i've really enjoyed the stargate shows and have high hopes for this game; but, where did you get all the information to make your statements?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• lokiboardlokiboard Member UncommonPosts: 229

SWG died years ago with the combat upgrade etc......im surprised that people  even visit it at all.... but they do.....Kotor online looks like same ole crap......Stargate worlds is our Last Hope, pun intended

I think that stargate worlds is a fantastic IP.  It has a deep lore and tons of source material.  It provides a lot of variety of game play with weapons but also many tech gadgets that seem like magic.  Star Wars kinda is one dimentional in that eveyrone wants to be a jedi and jedi tend to be rather fixed in function.  ie they fight with light sabers, have some force powers and are good or bad.  So it is kinda like just two classes.

SG has a much better basis to support many differnt character styles.  Also the science and puzzle elements are consistent throughout the story.  It is a game of mystery.  It also makes the universe accessable via a gate so you can step into anywhere in the blink of an eye.  Gate addresses can be aquired unlocking tiers of content.  Content can easily be added via new gates or maybe later even vehicles to travel in space!! 

I just think that SGW has the most amazing potential of any game that isn't in the fantasy genre.  I just pray that the devs can pull it off and make the game it deserves to be.

---
    Ethion

• TarokoTaroko Member UncommonPosts: 84

I think World of Starcraft would be the WoW of Sci-fi, but until then you might be right.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956

I think that stargate worlds is a fantastic IP.  It has a deep lore and tons of source material.  It provides a lot of variety of game play with weapons but also many tech gadgets that seem like magic.  Star Wars kinda is one dimentional in that eveyrone wants to be a jedi and jedi tend to be rather fixed in function.  ie they fight with light sabers, have some force powers and are good or bad.  So it is kinda like just two classes.
    SG has a much better basis to support many differnt character styles.  Also the science and puzzle elements are consistent throughout the story.  It is a game of mystery.  It also makes the universe accessable via a gate so you can step into anywhere in the blink of an eye.  Gate addresses can be aquired unlocking tiers of content.  Content can easily be added via new gates or maybe later even vehicles to travel in space!! 
    I just think that SGW has the most amazing potential of any game that isn't in the fantasy genre.  I just pray that the devs can pull it off and make the game it deserves to be.

We will see how this all turns out.

After all the debacles the last couple years within the MMO genre I have become very careful.

First See, Then Believe. is my motto now.

Old Star Wars Galaxies is so far still unbeaten. That SOE killed it off with the CU and NGE update that's another matter.

But SWG back then was a great Sandbox MMO. The freedom you had. The non-combat classes. No levels. Deep crafting system, with reverse engineering. Bounty system, etc.

The old Star Wars Galaxies community was simply the best and no other MMO community has even come close this day. Wich is a sad reality.

We will see what Stargate Worlds brings.

It's definetely no sandbox MMO, so you are still bound to levels and and a class of choice. So no innovation here either.

We have to wait and see how the different classes play out, how the crafting system is, how the content is (very important), PVP, etc.

Cheers

Originally posted by Guillermo197

We will see how this all turns out.

After all the debacles the last couple years within the MMO genre I have become very careful.

First See, Then Believe. is my motto now.

Old Star Wars Galaxies is so far still unbeaten. That SOE killed it off with the CU and NGE update that's another matter.

But SWG back then was a great Sandbox MMO. The freedom you had. The non-combat classes. No levels. Deep crafting system, with reverse engineering. Bounty system, etc.

The old Star Wars Galaxies community was simply the best and no other MMO community has even come close this day. Wich is a sad reality.

We will see what Stargate Worlds brings.

It's definetely no sandbox MMO, so you are still bound to levels and and a class of choice. So no innovation here either.

We have to wait and see how the different classes play out, how the crafting system is, how the content is (very important), PVP, etc.

Cheers

Definitely good advice.  Historically many games that have sounded good have been poorly designed and poorly executed.  I'm gonna give SG about one chance in 10 of not being a complete bomb just based on the size of the company developing it, the economy, and because I've been burned too many times and am a hard core skeptic.

---
    Ethion

• icyredicyred Member Posts: 138

I think that this will be a great Sci Fi MMO but i dont think it will hit NEAR the WoW crowd even though  i dont like WoW... but honestly... How far can they go with this game? will questing be alot of crappy little things like go too this planet and pick a flower? or will it be more fun quests.... theres still alot of unanswered questions and we will just have too wait and see.

• yellowperilyellowperil Member Posts: 101

One of the things that I am looking forward to in this game is that it actually fits movement, take into account pvp (thats near enough every mmorpg out there), take into account crafting (same again).

Now lets compare how all this will work, travelling to planets, and once your at a planet travelling around.

Some people may not put alot of thought into this and say, they have done it this way to compensate for what it would really take.

WOW for example, if something is happening, it can take you a while to actually get there, and by the time you have gotten there, it might be over (whatever it was).

STO, your gonna have you beam technology for moving around the planet, but getting to and from planets is going to be another matter, from what I can gather from the little I have heard the travelling in STO will also be RPG and instantaneous travel from planet to planet wont be in, so your going to have the same issues that WOW has with the whole getting to the action if your not nearby.

Star Wars, I cant comment on that as I dont havea clue about it.

SGW, well we have instantaneous travel to planets and moving around the planet, we can do that by rings (if any are there).

This is one thing in my opinion that actually makes the game sound more fun, as your actually following the canon to move around in, none of the usual side stepping to fit movement over long distances has tweaked to make the game work.

This is just one example of why I think I will prefer SGW over the rest, from what I have seen on Youtube and on thier news pages (SGW) I am really liking what I see so far.  The IP has alot going for it, with a wealth of background information people can easily read up on the web about, see on the tv series and in general most people coming to play the game are going to have a pretty good idea of whats going on.

Calling it 'THE' scifi mmorpg killer is a bit  premature, but if things go as planned for the 2009 release, its definately going to have its foot in the door well before all the other big scifi names even start knocking on that door.

Fingers crossed it will not make the same mistake recent MMORPG's have made by rushing the game out.

• CaligulugCaligulug Member Posts: 283

With beta shut down and the recession in full swing I bet when the beta is "supposed" to come back online they announce a crash and burn.

• supremeaaronsupremeaaron Member UncommonPosts: 189

I think its hard for someone to say they will crash and burn. Unless you have some inside knowledge of whats happening with CME. Also I dont think the full effects of the recession have taking hold yet maybe next year we will see the hight of it.  Now back to the topic at hand it could be possible for Stargate Worlds be the World of Warcraft for Science Fiction MMORPGs but only time can tell after its release remember WOW didnt start out with the numbers it has now.Heres hoping that SGW does good

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Being a HUGE SG fan to the franchise, there is no doubt, I will be playing this game!

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

From what I've seen its more like Tabula Rasa then World of Warcraft.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

If Blizzard's next MMO is a Starcraft MMO I'm 100% convinced that MMO will be the Scifi WoW of the MMO world :)

• peteski123peteski123 Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Originally posted by Pheace

If Blizzard's next MMO is a Starcraft MMO I'm 100% convinced that MMO will be the Scifi WoW of the MMO world :)

lol makes sense to me...

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

I kid you not, from what i have seen and read, this game will leave all other Sci-fi MMORPGS for dead. It will be the last nail in the SOE SWG coffin. It will be what Tabula Rasa should have been and it will set the bar so high that Bioware will have to really work their magic to compete with a possible KOTOR Online.
    Stargate Fans
    MMORPG Fans
    Sci Fi Fans
    FPS Fans
    Role Playing Fans

It would not suprise me that the subscriptions will  head into the millions and it will take the world by storm, followed by a new show (Stargate Universe) and new movies (Stargate Atlantis).

Prepare to be BLOWN AWAY!

Im a big stargate serie's fan but this game no intrest if i see how they chance game so much that has nothing to with series and how combat movement is NO THX if i wanne play a CONSOLE GAME ill buy one:P

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

And btw if this game is so big why only a few visit offcial stargate worlds forums look at the topics and post numbers its rediculous low.

Same go for this forum only a few visit this forum, its realy small community i think stargate worlds will fail.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well OP very very nice thought, Loved Stargate when it 1st came on showtime. But if you have played the beta .. its fun but it just lacks that spark. Like someone said.. kinda has that feel Tabula Rasa :(

• joker1231978joker1231978 Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by Zeblade

Well OP very very nice thought, Loved Stargate when it 1st came on showtime. But if you have played the beta .. its fun but it just lacks that spark. Like someone said.. kinda has that feel Tabula Rasa :(

As a former beta tester, I have to agree with Zeblade.  It did have that TR feeling.  Once you got out of the beginning prison, it was very much present.

Stargate is a great IP in itself.  I just don't think the game is going to make regardless it if they manage to get it released (financial trouble thing).

• gorgukgorguk Member Posts: 165

i LOVE all things stargate.. but i dunno.. i dont see it doing as well as the OP thinks..

I will probably try it cuz i love sg1 an want to play a scifi mmo. altho i doubt i will play it long unless i get to have my own ship. going thru the stargate, checking out different worlds, thats awesome! but i dont wanna always be stuck on the ground.. i wanna be in space. Thats what i really want is a scifi mmo where i can have my own ship an fly around the universe. (but NOT EvE, fuckin hate that game) about the only thing i liked about eve was the fact i had my own ship(s).. but i did think most of them looked really really stupid.

id really like a scifi mmo where i can design my own ship... that way i wont be stuck in some lame PoS the dev thought looked cool or be flying around in the same ship as 1000 other people.

think spore but with space ships and its a mmo lol that would freakin rock..

This discussion has been closed.