Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Insider: Content, DX 10, More!

2»

Comments

• aurickaurick Member Posts: 317

Even if all of Funcom's newest promises suddenly came to pass tomorrow (which is highly unlikely, given their history with promises), they still won't win back me or my guild.  We've sworn off any Funcom product going forward.

Ironically, while we WERE playing AoC we glanced at WAR and went, "meh".  But now that WAR is actually here and we've played the hell out of it in Open Beta and the preview weekends, we're staying with that.  No shortage of quests.  Fair PvP from level 1.  PvP ranks and gear.  Truly massive battles with hundreds of players.  In short, just about everything that Funcom promised for AoC, a lot that they never dreamed of, and a mere fraction of the bugs that AoC suffered.  Heck, I'd say that WAR at launch has fewer bugs than AoC does even now, four months after their launch.

So long, AoC!

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I think what gets me the most is...

For at least 6 months before the release of AoC almost every "in game" video was showing a DX10 client.

The game comes out but the DX10 client isn't ready.  Ok if there were problems etc.. but then why did they show every bit of "in game" footage from the DX10 client nobody could have.

And as others have said... months later... its still "planned features" by the time this thing is ready...

Funcom will either be going through "restructure" or.. releasing their next MMO...

Or "Hell" will be a winter wonder land... something like that anyway.

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

I have to agree that it is too little too late. It is what they get for releasing the game way before it was ready just avoid going head-to-head with WAR and WotLK.

• WRyanWRyan Member Posts: 266

My contention with AoC is pretty simple.  I've done all the caring for a game I'm going to do on SWG.  I just can't allow myself to give a shit on any other game ever again.  As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get much worse than what I and many others went through with SOE.

That being said, I rarely come back to games I've cancelled, and if I am to even bother with an MMO anymore, it's because something about it caught my interest pre-launch.  AoC was one that caught my interest, because it promised evolved features.  After a month of playing it, I once again felt mislead, and overall just flat out lied to.  What was in the game was bugged to hell and back, half of what was promised to be in the game at launch was non-existent, and as far as I could tell, none of it would have been in-game in an acceptable time frame.

After the first month, I will usually give a game and a company two additional months to pull something together, if the past month showed promise of major improvement.  If after the third month, the game shows that it actually has a stability in core gameplay that would merit foundation building, then I can stick with it.  So far, no game has done this.

FunCom really did nothing in the first month of Live.  I mean... they nerfed some of the classes, but I'm not going to sit on another game while the devs continuously nerf crap that doesn't need to be nerfed in the first place, all the while other major problems exist.

I'm sorry, but for this particular game, FunCom has lost this customer forever - along with my brother who will only play an MMO if I play it.

• farudimfarudim Member Posts: 48

I just wish they would have given us some kind of headsup about DX10 coming, instead of just sneaking it inthere like that - at the very least they could have made a video or hyped it a little first, before springing something big like that on us

• Micro_angelMicro_angel Member UncommonPosts: 87

Too late for you Funcom. You can join Vanguard at the "Loosers Room".

And yes, WAR is like WoW, I played beta and was boring.

• KeridwanKeridwan Member Posts: 118

Almost everyone agrees that Age of Conan is a dismal failure on almost every level excepting graphics. Almost everyone agrees that the best action for punters to take is to cancel registration and abandon the game. Almost everyone agrees that the game was over hyped from the word go. Almost everyone agrees that Funcom lied to and deceived customers. Almost everyone agrees that Age of Conan is doomed to the trash can of failed MMO's. Almost everyone agrees that Funcom are finished as a company and will go into liquidation very shortly.

Almost everyone who has played Warhammer beta agrees that it is NOT at all like WOW. It is a far better all round product. Warhammer is a fantastic hybrid between WOW and DAoC. Mythic have nailed the market potential exactly right. Almost everyone agrees that in 12 months time Warhammer will be the best MMO game in the market.

For once on www.mmorpg.com we almost have a consensus. Warhammer is here to stay, WOW will wither away, and Age of Conan is no more.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Micro_angel

Too late for you Funcom. You can join Vanguard at the "Loosers Room".

And yes, WAR is like WoW, I played beta and was boring.

And no, WAR is not like WoW, I played beta and was far from bored. My opinion differs from yours.

What we do agree on is FC as a company joining VG in the Losers room.

• actionfitzactionfitz Member UncommonPosts: 35

Remember remember the 13th of November

Warcraft, Level 80 and and what not.

I see no reason why Deathknights and Lich kings

Should ever be forgot...

hehe...

sorry Erling but here's where most of us will be when you get your pvp patch sorted:

Wrath of the Lich King Invades Stores November 13

In the frozen wastes of the north, the Lich King Arthas Menethil rallies his undead army and schemes to bring an end to all life on Azeroth -- and in a couple of months, you’ll begin your epic journey into Northrend to confront the Lich King and his minions yourself. Blizzard Entertainment’s second expansion to World of Warcraft -- Wrath of the Lich King -- will be in stores on November 13 in North America, Europe, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, and Russia, and on November 14 in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, and Malaysia. The expansion will be available in Korea and the regions of Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau on November 18, and the launch timing for China will be announced at a later date. For more information, read the press release or visit the Wrath of the Lich King website.

Wrath of the Lich King will be available in both a standard edition and a special Collector’s Edition (in select areas). The Collector’s Edition will contain an art book, behind-the-scenes DVD, exclusive in-game pet, and more. For pictures and a complete list of contents, check out the Collector’s Edition page.

Retailers in Europe are currently taking pre-orders for the game. Reserve your copy now!

• MahrtiirMahrtiir Member Posts: 29

So has Failcom fixed "The Wounded Child" quest yet?  Just curious.

• TyrranosaurTyrranosaur Member UncommonPosts: 284

You know, the early (opening) content in AoC is pretty good....some of the best stuff I've seen in an MMO, to be honest. The problems seem to creep in later on....in the main game, where it's supposed to compete directly with hardcore,s casuals, pvpers and pvers for their time and money against other MMOs. Maybe, just maybe, Funcom should have turned this in to a CRPG instead of an MMO....might have catered to the early strengths in the content, which feel very much like a CRPG to me ala Oblivion and less like a contendor for WoW's throne. I bet if they had focused on this as a single player experience it would have been a real hit.

That said, I'm still on my way to discovering what everyone says is wrong with this game, so I can't comment any further on the later content. But on WAR, despite assertions that it is "nothing like WoW" that's just disingenuous: WAR is definitely a lot like WoW....only a better evolution of the same formula. Still, I find AoC a much more interesting game (at low levels so far) to play than either WoW or WAR.....am bracing myself for the post-Tortage disappointment that it seems is inevitable.

But WAR is a great game; I think it will be topdog by this time next year. WotLK is going to have to be pretty impressive to drag me away from WAR.....for one thing, WAR offers new, shiny content that's casual friendly; WotLK looks like its shaping up to be a festival for 7-80 level hardcores and pvpers, of which I am neither. 

Current MMOs: Rift, GW2, Defiance
    Blog: http://realmsofchirak.blogspot.com (old school tabletop gaming and more)