Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TR can come back strong if they did one thing...

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I recently posted that I left TR and how I have taken some great memories away with me.  However I am slightly annoyed as I can see TR being a huge hit if they did one thing.

MAKE BANE PLAYABLE!

Why create PvP for human vs human combat when humanity is under threat of extinction?  Have Bane as a playable race and let the fun begin.  RvR just like WAR but its alien vs human.  Defending a base against bane is fun but against bane NPCs and players it would be incredible.  Along with this you could have bonus points for the side winning and complete domination on some maps meaning the opposing side need to grab the first base to push forward.  Crafting can also be a major factor with both sides carrying different weapons.

It may be a development nightmare but its one thing I believe would make this game succeed and bring thousands back to play.

Comments

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by chryses

I recently posted that I left TR and how I have taken some great memories away with me.  However I am slightly annoyed as I can see TR being a huge hit if they did one thing.
    MAKE BANE PLAYABLE!
    Why create PvP for human vs human combat when humanity is under threat of extinction?  Have Bane as a playable race and let the fun begin.  RvR just like WAR but its alien vs human.  Defending a base against bane is fun but against bane NPCs and players it would be incredible.  Along with this you could have bonus points for the side winning and complete domination on some maps meaning the opposing side need to grab the first base to push forward.  Crafting can also be a major factor with both sides carrying different weapons.
    It may be a development nightmare but its one thing I believe would make this game succeed and bring thousands back to play.

They would need to rework the game from the ground up for this. As for it being a huge hit by doing this I think you are over estimating the amount of people who want to play a space PVP shooter MMO. Planetside did ok, but I doubt TR would do any better if it went full PVP.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

This game lacks so much that there isn't just 1 thing they can to make it even decent for MMO standards.

This game needs to shut down for a year and they need to complete it.  This game is not ready for live gaming. 

Tecmo Bowl.

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926
    Originally posted by Thunderous

This game lacks so much that there isn't just 1 thing they can to make it even decent for MMO standards.
    This game needs to shut down for a year and they need to complete it.  This game is not ready for live gaming. 

I don't actually agree with anything beyond the fact that they should shut it down for a year and relaunch.

They could actually have a shot at making a successful game that way.  A long shot, but it's the best they have.

Sandbox would be a horrible direction IMHO.  Instead they need to focus on what makes it fun - more action, more rewards for grouping, more enemies, more interesting stuff to do, less bugs and broken things.

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson

• raykorraykor Member UncommonPosts: 326

I agree with the OP. I followed this game during development but decided to pass because there was no meaningful PvP. I’ve seen a bunch of videos and the game has nice graphics and a combat system that looks like a lot of fun. But I can’t play a game just to PvE.

And so I’m counting the days until WAR goes live. I highly prefer TR’s Sci-Fi theme and combat system but pre-arranged, meaningless clan vs. clan penile-measuring contests do not appeal to me. I realize they are working on clan-controlled bases but as the OP said, it seems dumb for humans to fight each other when a common enemy is plentiful. If TR had an ongoing human vs. bane player-controlled RvR war then I would sign up instantly.  

Originally posted by raykor

I agree with the OP. I followed this game during development but decided to pass because there was no meaningful PvP. I’ve seen a bunch of videos and the game has nice graphics and a combat system that looks like a lot of fun. But I can’t play a game just to PvE.
    And so I’m counting the days until WAR goes live. I highly prefer TR’s Sci-Fi theme and combat system but pre-arranged, meaningless clan vs. clan penile-measuring contests do not appeal to me. I realize they are working on clan-controlled bases but as the OP said, it seems dumb for humans to fight each other when a common enemy is plentiful. If TR had an ongoing human vs. bane player-controlled RvR war then I would sign up instantly.  

I still fail to see how RvR with player controlled bane would make TR a hit. I think had they stuck to the original concept of pure PVE the game would have done better than it has. By adding in poorly planned PvP they made it worse than having no PVP.

Planetside had no PVE and it was never a huge hit.

• haggus71haggus71 Member Posts: 254

Why have PvP human against human?

Yeah, not too many people playing Halo PvP, are there?

Originally posted by haggus71

Is there? Honestly I have not played and have no clue if they do. But along those lines while FPS games are hugely popular they have not made the transition to Monthly MMO style payments. So while PVP is popular in and of itself, very few MMOs have used it as the main game and been successfull.

I do not see TR going RvR and that making the game a hit. PVP, FPS and monthly charges so far have not worked together.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

Making the Bane playable wouldn't do dick.  TR is a failure in every respect sans the actual combat, which is it's only redeeming quality.  The combat system of TR is actually pretty damn good.  It would be better if they ditched the B.S. target locks and focused more on the twitch but whatever...

Anyways, the linear content, gated level based zone approaches, complete and utter lack of crafting, lack of any player interdependence, tiny ass maps, lack of vehicles, lack of an actual F'ing city... and on and on...

TR will never be a good game.  The only thing this game can do is hope that it's legacy ala it's combat system is used in future MMO titles.

Originally posted by lkavadas

Making the Bane playable wouldn't do dick.  TR is a failure in every respect sans the actual combat, which is it's only redeeming quality.  The combat system of TR is actually pretty damn good.  It would be better if they ditched the B.S. target locks and focused more on the twitch but whatever...
    Anyways, the linear content, gated level based zone approaches, complete and utter lack of crafting, lack of any player interdependence, tiny ass maps, lack of vehicles, lack of an actual F'ing city... and on and on...
    TR will never be a good game.  The only thing this game can do is hope that it's legacy ala it's combat system is used in future MMO titles.

Would love to see a hybrid of TR combat with AO depth and complexity.

• PhaethorPhaethor Member Posts: 7

I was never interested in Space based games.  I was drawn to this game solely because of Richard Garriots involvment.  I wanted there to be PvP but settled on the defending the outposts and retaking ones that were overrun.  I really enjoyed the combat and would like to see some changes to that.  I think making the Bane a playable race would go leaps and bounds into improving this game.  But, it wil lnot be the one thing that saves it.

Best,

Phae

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

While I mentioned this long long ago, this while a redeeming feature still is only one part of the many issues I had with TR.  Making the Bane a playable race in the same facility as Monster Play is to LotRO would actually make much more sense than the way it is approached now.

Why would this be so hard to do?  We have Bane models, Bane weapons, Bane animations, etc....  How hard would it be to allow a player the chance to select one of five "kinds" of Bane, and just let them go?  As soon as you login, your placed in a que for the next dropship on the battlefield, or the closest Bane occupied OP.

Then what they need to do are add more OP specific missions that will inspire others to regain control of these OP's to return said mission or have the ability to even start that certain mission.

Aside from the PvP making absolutely no sense at all in respect to its Lore.... there are quite a few issues beyond just this.  Content is so sparce from 30 and up I just couldn't bear it.  If they truly were so deadset on making a linear mission driven game, they needed to follow through with it from start to finish.

What I will say until I hit this point, I was having a blast.  Never had as much fun in a MMO as I did, it just stopped when the content stopped.  There is so much potential with TR it really sickens me to see it in its current state even this far after its release.

Originally posted by Souvec

While I mentioned this long long ago, this while a redeeming feature still is only one part of the many issues I had with TR.  Making the Bane a playable race in the same facility as Monster Play is to LotRO would actually make much more sense than the way it is approached now.
    Why would this be so hard to do?  We have Bane models, Bane weapons, Bane animations, etc....  How hard would it be to allow a player the chance to select one of five "kinds" of Bane, and just let them go?  As soon as you login, your placed in a que for the next dropship on the battlefield, or the closest Bane occupied OP.
    Then what they need to do are add more OP specific missions that will inspire others to regain control of these OP's to return said mission or have the ability to even start that certain mission.
    Aside from the PvP making absolutely no sense at all in respect to its Lore.... there are quite a few issues beyond just this.  Content is so sparce from 30 and up I just couldn't bear it.  If they truly were so deadset on making a linear mission driven game, they needed to follow through with it from start to finish.
    What I will say until I hit this point, I was having a blast.  Never had as much fun in a MMO as I did, it just stopped when the content stopped.  There is so much potential with TR it really sickens me to see it in its current state even this far after its release.

The problem with making the bane is they as individual fighters absolutely suck. Their weapons are putrid. I played a spy most of my time and had polymorph. The Bane are horrible from a playable standpoint. The Bane engineer class only get an EMP weapon when you polymorph. They would all new weapons and skills to make the viable or just like now the only way they would be a threat is in large groups. So if I played the bane I would need 5 friends to kill a player not playing the bane. Maybe thats a little over the number lets say 6 bane VS 2 AFS and I bet the Bane played characters lose.

In order to make the bane playable they would need a rework from the ground up. I agree that below level 30 TR is great, I thought I had found the MMO to beat MMOs until then.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

I still fail to see how RvR with player controlled bane would make TR a hit. I think had they stuck to the original concept of pure PVE the game would have done better than it has. By adding in poorly planned PvP they made it worse than having no PVP.

I agree.  Just take a look at the promotion video they created to hype the game before it launched.  There is absolutely nothing in that video that implies there is PvP.  In fact, the picture the video presents is a dire struggle for human survival, where cooperation and teamwork is the only way the Human race will survive.  

The developers slapped on Human verses Human PvP at the last minute before shoving the game out the door.  The only way PvP could be implemented in TR and stay true to the spirit of the game would be to make the Bane playable so that all PvP was Human verses Bane.

Originally posted by indiramourn

I agree.  Just take a look at the promotion video they created to hype the game before it launched.  There is absolutely nothing in that video that implies there is PvP.  In fact, the picture the video presents is a dire struggle for human survival, where cooperation and teamwork is the only way the Human race will survive.  

The developers slapped on Human verses Human PvP at the last minute before shoving the game out the door.  The only way PvP could be implemented in TR and stay true to the spirit of the game would be to make the Bane playable so that all PvP was Human verses Bane.

Sadly cooperation and teamwork are also not needed. TR was and continues to be the most solo friendly MMO I can remember. Not that soloing is a bad thing but with no epic battles or baddies so tough you need tactics or strategy to defeat TR had to revise mechanics to get people to group, by increasing some experience when grouped. To me this shows a lack of creativity or resources for making the game better and more group orientated. The COCPs are their answer to group combat and to me in this game it simply fails to fit in with the premise and story of the game.

It might be great fun, but it has taken dev time away from the things I think were needed and many of the people I know who left the game were of similar minds. Could TR have had great PvP? Sure, but then it would have been seen as Planetside 2. The plan to make an PVE war game was a good idea, it just required a large team that was constantly adding to the war. I am guessing finances made that an impossible dream.

• This wouldn't solve the main reason I never subbed which was poor character development.

Also i think there is kind of a story reason behind this.  They want the Bane vast and mysterious

Originally posted by Ryman86

Originally posted by haggus71

Is there? Honestly I have not played and have no clue if they do. But along those lines while FPS games are hugely popular they have not made the transition to Monthly MMO style payments. So while PVP is popular in and of itself, very few MMOs have used it as the main game and been successfull.

I do not see TR going RvR and that making the game a hit. PVP, FPS and monthly charges so far have not worked together.

There's just no use in arguing with idiotards such as these. No matter what, he's always going to have that stuck-up attitude that PvP should never be presented in a MMO. Even though the entire point of a MMO is player interaction, not the same predictable A.I. units throughout the entire game (though I'm sure your life is somewhat similar to this).

You are absolutely wrong. PVP when done right is quite fun. I played Planetside for years and there is no PVE and no AI just PVP. TR tossed in PVP late in development and it was a poor system. MMO and player interaction does not mean PVP, you seem to not know what MMO means.

The entire point of an MMO is not PVP. It is interaction, that means talking to and doing things with other players. That might be PVP or it might be working together to defeat the game AI and whatever the devs have created for you to fight or figure out.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I was back in TR for a while and enjoyed it.. but the general chat was the main issue to quit again for me.  No reason I'd want to group with most of the people I saw in game...

Of course this could lead to the reason to PvP..

But after playing most PvP games out (I still think early UO was the best) I just can't see it.

What is the super successful pvp game out?  The one that will encourage investors to back it?

Ya.. see.. that's the problem.

Originally posted by Antarious

I was back in TR for a while and enjoyed it.. but the general chat was the main issue to quit again for me.  No reason I'd want to group with most of the people I saw in game...
    Of course this could lead to the reason to PvP..
    But after playing most PvP games out (I still think early UO was the best) I just can't see it.
    What is the super successful pvp game out?  The one that will encourage investors to back it?
    Ya.. see.. that's the problem.

To me games like Planetside have put the lie to people who claim a game has to have PVP to survive. Planetside has only PVP and it is down to one server. PVP done well is fun, but when it is the only thing the game offers so far none have been hugely popular just because of the PVP.

To me games like Planetside have put the lie to people who claim a game has to have PVP to survive. Planetside has only PVP and it is down to one server. PVP done well is fun, but when it is the only thing the game offers so far none have been hugely popular just because of the PVP.

Uhhhh, PlanetSide has also been out four years longer than TR.  I bet PlanetSide had a lot more subs one year after launch than TR has right now.

And will TR even be live in five years?  I doubt it.

Besides, PlanetSide owns TR in every way.

Uhhhh, PlanetSide has also been out four years longer than TR.  I bet PlanetSide had a lot more subs one year after launch than TR has right now.

And will TR even be live in five years?  I doubt it.

Besides, PlanetSide owns TR in every way.

I agree Planetside is a ton of fun. It does kind of put the lie to PVP being the backbone of MMos though. As much fun as Planetside is it had its first server merge after about a year. I was hoping for TR to be a bit more like Planetside in the combat and the epic scale of the fights. Vehicles of every type to use and they got snipers right. TR fails to draw past 80m, Planetside you could see with the scope much much further.

Planetside probably had as many subs as TR had at its height, but Planetside needed mergers earlier because there was nothing to solo. If you did not have people you had no war.

Planetside probably had as many subs as TR had at its height, but Planetside needed mergers earlier because there was nothing to solo. If you did not have people you had no war.

Honestly though TR could have probably safely launched with just two servers, as opposed to PlanetSide's original four or five North American ones, and one year after launch TR couldn't even decently populate a single server if you include North Americans and Europeans.

TR's entire playerbase could easily exist on one server.  One year after launch.  LOLZ

Honestly though TR could have probably safely launched with just two servers, as opposed to PlanetSide's original four or five North American ones, and one year after launch TR couldn't even decently populate a single server if you include North Americans and Europeans.

TR's entire playerbase could easily exist on one server.  One year after launch.  LOLZ

Thats not true, its not been a year yet. LOL