Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC = disaster that sold on hype

Hi.  I'm a pretty big MMOer and I was just waiting for a game to come out and smash the stale and old WoW.  Everyone was convinced that AoC was it.

AoC released at a perfect time.  Everybody was looking for something different including myself.  The graphics looked good so I bought into the hype as well.  Everyone was saying how great it was I said to myself, "if this game just delivers a little bit of what's being said about it I'll have found a new MMO"

First the good things about AoC:

Graphics

Smooth Launch

Everything else about this game is a complete disaster.  People defending this game must be the most hardcore Conan lore fans I've ever encountered.

Right when i first started playing this game in tortuge I started saying, "uh oh"  I ended up playing the first 15 levels or so solo so I was like man I'm playing a single player game here until I realized how to switch over. 

I was relieved to just see other players in the game finally, but that didn't change the fact the game was the same old crap with absolutely nothing innovative whatsoever. 

The thing about this game is I tried so so hard to make it work for me, but never did i feel like going home and playing it.  I never got addicted to this game even for a day.

The game left out so many features.   No crafting, no pvp system, the zoning was a huge blow to the game talking trash to so and so while they're in a different instance, the loading times were annoying even on a brand new computer, there were just gaps in quests as you leveled up, lack of content, bugs, mounts you can't afford, the combat was boring, the game was boring.

I get to say I paid 50 dollars to play what i can easily say is one of the most disasterous piles of crap ever to grace the MMO market.  This game Sucks with a capital S.  There's no potential here.  This game is just flat out boring and failed to deliver anything besides graphics.

FailCom    fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served

Comments

• StinkyPestStinkyPest Member Posts: 97

Your point is?

There are so many topics and threads about this, why are you creating a new one. The company sold out some hype and lies, and the gamers sold even more.

Anyone who reads any section of this site knows this by now.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Well yeah pretty much sold from smart marketing and hype.  You do not need to make the most innovative game to be sucessful. Though part of the key to make a successful game is making sure things actually work which was a large issue with the game.

• UnoshotUnoshot Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Malvolentia  
    Hi.  I'm a pretty big MMOer and I was just waiting for a game to come out and smash the stale and old WoW.  Everyone was convinced that AoC was it.

Speak for yourself.  I never bought it.  Looked like fail to me from the start.  Same with Darkfall.  It's pure fail but there are those who will blow their cash and learn the hard way.

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

Title worthy?

This is one of the most agreed upon statements in the MMO community.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• whozthisguywhozthisguy Member UncommonPosts: 186

awesome, another know-it-all.

hes expressing himself. wanting to talk about a topic. theres no point. no right ot wrong. hes just looking for a conversation. a thousand threads about this already? so? move on if you've already read this conversation b4. gonna be a thousand more if its a hot topic and ppl wanna talk about it.

try to make yourself sound smart by saying something smart.

awe, i know its tough big guy, but u can do it.

(referring to poster #2)

• MalvolentiaMalvolentia Member Posts: 253
    Originally posted by StinkyPest

Your point is?

There are so many topics and threads about this, why are you creating a new one. The company sold out some hype and lies, and the gamers sold even more.

Anyone who reads any section of this site knows this by now.

It can't be said enough.  I don't want another disaster like this repeating

WoW fanboi: "lolz 11.5 million customers, itz obviously da best"

McDonald's: over 1 billion burgers served

• CenthialCenthial Member Posts: 30

hey,

Conan may be good it may be bad, but i really don't understand the need of this post. Couldn't you have just responded to one of the other 150 post just like this. There are lots of negative posts , just jump in on one of those instead of creating a new thread rehashing the same old same old. It has all been said and it has all been done. Either play the game or move on to another game. This is getting real tired,

thanks Cen

• StinkyPestStinkyPest Member Posts: 97

To whozthisguy... if you're also not bringing anything to this thread, why are you posting? Proving you need to put someone down, very hypocritical.

As to the comment about how AoC has failed cannot be said enough... Would you like hearing the same person hour after hour saying in your ear about how ther US civil war had started in 1861. The battle of blah blah had been fought with blah amount of men with cannons and blah blah blah.

As far as the world is concerned it's a much more important piece of history than how AoC failed. I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear the full details about it constantly for months.

I'm not trying to silence or put down people who do not personally insult me, as one of the above posters did. The point is that this thread just fills up the rest of the forum with "AoC... disaster... fail... hype". We've all heard it before, and if a regular viewer of this site does not have the time to read the other threads about it (which are abundent by anyone's standards) they are the only ones to blame. We don't need AoC to turn into the same thing that so many SWG trolls were bread from. It lowers the already low standing of our community, and puts so many people at each others necks.

• Rebn77Rebn77 Member Posts: 321

At the same time, do we need some many "AoC sets the Benchmark for MMOs" and "AoC worlds greatest MMO evah" threads?

Shouldn't they contain their undying devotion to AoC and Funcom to one thread as well?

Perhaps you should go tell them what and where to post, seeing as how you're taking it upon yourself to do that here.

• phluuxphluux Member Posts: 211
    Originally posted by Unoshot

Speak for yourself.  I never bought it.  Looked like fail to me from the start.  Same with Darkfall.  It's pure fail but there are those who will blow their cash and learn the hard way.

Same here. I was NOT fooled by the hype. People should've listened to what beta testers were saying (instead of ignoring them). For some reason all of these people had blind faith in Funcom, a company with a long history of broken promises, questionable decisions, bad patches, and one of the worst launches of all time in Anarchy Online.

For the folks that didn't really follow the AoC development cycle and just bought the game, I feel for them. For the folks that followed development, posting here and elsewhere touting how it was going to be the greatest MMO of all time... all the warning signs were there, QQ.

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366

I knew there where a big chance for failure just by looking at the closed beta video footage. Already then I knew the game had big core issues. But I bought into the hype that I believed Funcom would have good communication with the player base and make the game good.. but I was so wrong! Luckly it took me only 2 weeks before I cancelled the account.. but still.. bought the CE edition.. used about 120$ on the game..

• SlytheSlythe Member UncommonPosts: 952
    Originally posted by Rebn77

At the same time, do we need some many "AoC sets the Benchmark for MMOs" and "AoC worlds greatest MMO evah" threads?
    Shouldn't they contain their undying devotion to AoC and Funcom to one thread as well?
    Perhaps you should go tell them what and where to post, seeing as how you're taking it upon yourself to do that here.

My thoughts exactly, +1 to you sir.

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366

To whozthisguy... if you're also not bringing anything to this thread, why are you posting? Proving you need to put someone down, very hypocritical.

As to the comment about how AoC has failed cannot be said enough... Would you like hearing the same person hour after hour saying in your ear about how ther US civil war had started in 1861. The battle of blah blah had been fought with blah amount of men with cannons and blah blah blah.
    As far as the world is concerned it's a much more important piece of history than how AoC failed. I'm sure you wouldn't want to hear the full details about it constantly for months.

I'm not trying to silence or put down people who do not personally insult me, as one of the above posters did. The point is that this thread just fills up the rest of the forum with "AoC... disaster... fail... hype". We've all heard it before, and if a regular viewer of this site does not have the time to read the other threads about it (which are abundent by anyone's standards) they are the only ones to blame. We don't need AoC to turn into the same thing that so many SWG trolls were bread from. It lowers the already low standing of our community, and puts so many people at each others necks.

But did you really think your comment would change anything? I bet the OP just wanted to vent a little. Sort of like....you.....did..............in...............responding, oops I guess you both have a right to do that and people can choose if they want to read it.

Fungerer som det skal

• Chill_FactorChill_Factor Member Posts: 177

Someone already said it, but I'll say it again. Don't read the thread if you don't like it. Is that too hard to understand?  You couldn't help yourself though, that's how people like you are.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by Malvolentia

AoC released at a perfect time.  Everybody was looking for something different including myself.  The graphics looked good so I bought into the hype as well.  Everyone was saying how great it was I said to myself, "if this game just delivers a little bit of what's being said about it I'll have found a new MMO"
    First the good things about AoC:
    Graphics
    Smooth Launch
    Everything else about this game is a complete disaster.  People defending this game must be the most hardcore Conan lore fans I've ever encountered.
    Right when i first started playing this game in tortuge I started saying, "uh oh"  I ended up playing the first 15 levels or so solo so I was like man I'm playing a single player game here until I realized how to switch over. 
    I was relieved to just see other players in the game finally, but that didn't change the fact the game was the same old crap with absolutely nothing innovative whatsoever. 
    The thing about this game is I tried so so hard to make it work for me, but never did i feel like going home and playing it.  I never got addicted to this game even for a day.
    The game left out so many features.   No crafting, no pvp system, the zoning was a huge blow to the game talking trash to so and so while they're in a different instance, the loading times were annoying even on a brand new computer, there were just gaps in quests as you leveled up, lack of content, bugs, mounts you can't afford, the combat was boring, the game was boring.
    I get to say I paid 50 dollars to play what i can easily say is one of the most disasterous piles of crap ever to grace the MMO market.  This game Sucks with a capital S.  There's no potential here.  This game is just flat out boring and failed to deliver anything besides graphics.

FailCom    fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail fail

Its fun, get a new hobby, this entire thread's origins is sad.

• bcrankshawbcrankshaw Member Posts: 547
    Originally posted by Chill_Factor

Someone already said it, but I'll say it again. Don't read the thread if you don't like it. Is that too hard to understand?  You couldn't help yourself though, that's how people like you are.

I agree with the OP and the view that there cannot be enough objective but honest bad reviews of the game .As mentioned we still have people saying things like " this game is great ...I've just got to level 20 and I've just subscribed for another 100 years "

Yes uninformed praise of the game will lead to continuous and justified diatribe against AOC

The issues raised and the general negativity towards Funcom will hopefully prevent another company from releasing a game that is hyped up and doesn't deliver .We are actually trying to prevent people being disappointed and lied to by companies . The internet is our way of communicating  this message and we will continue to do so

Later :)

"after the time of dice came the day of mice "

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by phluux

Originally posted by Unoshot

Same here. I was NOT fooled by the hype. People should've listened to what beta testers were saying (instead of ignoring them). For some reason all of these people had blind faith in Funcom, a company with a long history of broken promises, questionable decisions, bad patches, and one of the worst launches of all time in Anarchy Online.

For the folks that didn't really follow the AoC development cycle and just bought the game, I feel for them. For the folks that followed development, posting here and elsewhere touting how it was going to be the greatest MMO of all time... all the warning signs were there, QQ.

Very simple reason why players who hadn't played the game yet would ignore warnings of beta testers...

Denial... It's not just a river!

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

It is we who believed in Age of Conan the most that have the most bitter contempt for all of the wrong the company formally known as Funcom has done to it's community. It hurts more when you were a fan.

www.failcom.com (the site is real )

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'