It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
-Updated Sept 6th 4:30am EST-
All most recent updates are in light blue to make them easier to find.
Before reading this be aware that I am in no way associated with the game, I'm just passing on info found on the SGW forums to those who may not be registered or haven't looked through them.
That said, go register! Its a fantastic community unlike that of any other MMO I've seen. I'm used to constant bashing and flame wars, there the community is friendly helpful and enthusiastic. Also, there's member-only content including videos, screenshots and audio.
Check out the SGW forums here.
- When Does the Beta Start?
The most recently announced plans for the beta release are as follows:
Friends and Family Alpha: Currently in progress
Closed Beta: September 2008
Open Beta: January/February 2009
- How do Register I for the Beta?
In order to be invited into the beta you must officially Register Here. After registration you will be sent an e-mail confirmation. If you do not receive this e-mail, check question #7 of this FAQ for help. Registration does not guarantee entrance into the beta.
*please note that your regular forum account and your beta account are distinct. Details here.
[x] How will beta testers be selected?
Beta testers are selected in a number of different ways:
1) Random selection from the the pool of beta registrations.
2) Demonstrating that you would be an enthusiastic and skilled beta tester through your posts on these forums. *
3) Participating in forum or fan-site beta key giveaways.
*POST COUNT will not influence the selection. Some criteria MAY BE (but not limited to): timezone, articulate posting, seniority on the forums, age, location, previous beta experience, and ability to communicate in a clear and mature manner.
Please Note: PMing a developer, community manager or moderator asking for a beta invite (or creating a thread to that effect) will only hamper your efforts to be accepted into beta.
[x] How will I know if I have been accepted into the beta? How does the authentication process work?
The authentication procedure is as follows:
1) You will be sent an e-mail informing your that you have been accepted and linking you to a page which will confirm your invitation.
2) After confirming, an e-mail will then be sent to you which will direct you to the final authentication page. This e-mail may take up to an hour to arrive. If you do not receive your confirmation e-mail after several hours, e-mail Khatie at kpostma AT firesky.com.
3) You should now be able to log into the main beta page and download the client.
The Non-Disclosure Agreement is an agreement with the makers of Stargate Worlds and the user that not only will the user not share anything they find while in the beta, but they won't even mention that they ARE in the beta.
The following was taken from the Remember the NDA post on the SGW forums.
New Sticky: Reminder NDA = Do not talk about the Beta in public! (link added 9/6/08)
All of the experienced game testers out there will aready know this so this is mainly for the inexperienced.
As soon as you are accepted as a Closed Beta Tester you are governed by the N.D.A Non Disclosure Agreement.
Do Not immediately jump into the forums yelling 'yeh i got my beta account' because you will most likely lose it.
Under the N.D.A you are not even allowed to tell anyone you have been accepted as a Closed Beta Tester,
this is to prevent people approaching you for game accounts and information on the game that has not been officially released yet, also remember you wont be allowed to post screenshots taken ingame or information about the game anywhere until the N.D.A has been lifted.
The following is info from Dear Beta Applicants (Please Read)
They also have much more in the way of guides and notices. So go check it out.
Some of the things people will see if they are accepted as Beta Tester
- You get thrown out of the game because of a bug.
- The game freezes up.
- Background sounds might stall.
- Certain places might not be textured or the textures won't load for them.
- Certain ingame items won't work properly or at all.
- NPC's won't react to your presence or will react while you are still far away.
- NPC's who will kill you in one blow and vice versa.
- Missions/Quests can't be completed.
- Walking somewhere on the map and suddenly find yourself falling through the floor.
- A gate being open, But you can't go through because it doesn't recognize the player.
- Immediately starting the game you die for no apparent reason whatsoever.
- Expect login servers and game servers do be down, A LOT!
- Your character will be lost more then just once due to server wipes
And these are just a few of the things you will face when being a beta tester.
Oh, And for those who think they can take their character from Beta Phase to the Official release, Sorry to disappoint you but ALL beta characters will more then likely be wiped!
What is expected from you when you are invited to beta test
Like previously stated, Being in beta doesn't mean you can have a fun time playing, This is a serious matter. You are the selected few who will pave the way for the rest of the community, You are invited to help take out as much bugs as you can find.
Several things you probably will be doing when beta testing are:
1. Finding ways to get to places you're not supposed to go.
2. Finding holes in the map through which players could fall.
3. Exploring the edges of the world maps for holes which could lead players off the map into unmapped space.
4. Try all different animations of your character in several different orders.
5. Explore the world listening for sound problems, and graphics related bugs.
6. Try out missions and report all bugs to the developers team.
7. Try every weapon to make sure none of them fail to work.
8. Shoot at something or someone and see if this item, NPC or other beta tester responds in the correct manner. (i.e health dropping, armor decreasing etc.)
9. Try different graphical settings from low quality to (if your PC can handle it) very high quality.
10. Try out groups, Part of the game means you have to work together, So make sure there aren't any bugs in there.
11. Guild creation, Explore every aspect of it. Try different name combinations, Try promoting people in the guild and see if it all works according to plan.
12. Try out different items you can use for enhancing your character, Make sure they work properly.
13. Find all stargates and test them out, Do they work, Don't they work?
14. Approach locations from different directions. (I personally have found this too lead to server crashing on several occasions in WoW)
15. Gather as much people as you can together in one location and see if the server can handle all of them together.
16. With said people (#15) go find some huge instances and once again check to see if the server can handle all of them in action.
17. Explore every nook and cranny of the maps while trying to find any texture problems (i.e textures which won't load, or simply aren't there)
This and MANY MORE will be expected of you if you are invited. The goal of beta is to find as many bugs as possible and report them to the developers team so that they can fix it and that when the game is released it will near to completely bug free.
Here are some helpful links for those of you wondering more about the Betas (Also taken from the FAQ)
* Remember the N.D.A by Trollbasher
* Someone's Guide to Beta Testing - the golden rules by Kroy
* Odinseye's Mini Beta Testers Guide by Odinseye
* Account security and you by SnakerCharmer
* Remember beta accounts get wiped. by Trollbasher
* Watch where you click! By: Fango
Ways to get into the beta:
1) mmolecule.com 200 key giveaway - free and worth a shot!
2) post your beta name here! - might be a joke, worth a shot.
3) Ten Ton Hammer Giveaway - this one is double-edged. Its for premium members only, and that costs money, but EVERY premium member gets a beta guaranteed. (source)
Also, remember to check the official SGW newsfeed. They post all the beta giveaways and contests there.
Most of this was compiled by people who are not me, I just sat around doing a lot of searching, cutting, pasting and linking. Credit goes to those who provided the info.
I hope this helps those with questions. Go register for the forums! See you there?
Looking forward to: Stargate Worlds
-- SGW Beta Signup