Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Everquest online adventures similar to classic everquest?

AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Hello now I know ive asked questions about eqoa before but I have some questions before I fully decide what to play.

What are the actual differances between the ps2 version and pc version around the times of planes of power.

To make it easier I will list specific questions,

Are there tradeskills? If so do they have depth and are they much more fun?

Do bard spells/songs have cool effects and musical sounds?

Does it have alot of sandbox options like classic eq.

Is the content as massive or is it alot less?

Will I feel like im playing a mini version of eq with the ps2 version?

Are they still releasing big updates and are there any plans for expansions?

I know its alot of questions but id rather know before I decide to get a new computer id rather save for other things first but I really need a decent online game to play thanks everyone.

Comments

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I bought the PS2 version about 5 years ago and I thought the game felt like I was playing a mini version of EQ.  It really seemed like a dumbed down version of EQ with bad graphics/design and wasn't much fun.  Anyways, I'm not an expert on the game and I don't know how it's doing today.  Those were just my opinions from years ago when I was a little kid.  I quit the game and happily went back to Asheron's Call.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I loved Eqoa to death, if their were more people playing it I wouldn't hesitate a second to reactivate it again.

To answer you questions,

Yes their are tradeskills, however I would not say they are anymore "in depth" most mat's if I recall you just purchased from an npc, I think their were some rare recipes that required special drops but my memory is far off.

The spells in the game are beautiful, much like in EQ1, bards gain plenty of spells and melee skills, I don't remember them having any musical sounds to them however.

I wouldn't say it is a full sandbox game, however yes, their is alot of freedom of what you want to do in the game, from quests, grinding, wandering, grouping, dungeon running, etc. Their is no set path for you in the game.

The original EQ is a big game..big..eqoa has a decent sized world, however it no where matches the scale of EQ1 if you ask me.

Personally I felt like it was something completely diffrent from EQ, I mean I guess some might feel its a mini eq, but to me it just felt like a whole new game.

Im going to go ahead and assume they still release content in patches every once in awhile, their was one large expansion for the game, but I dont think they'll make another. I don't play atm, so I couldn't say.

One word of warning, starting off new in EQOA last I checked is a very lonely expirence, their aren't alot of lowbies around, and most player flock to freeport to meet other players, so if you start in any other city you've got a long journey to freeport.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Hmmm im not going to like being alone at low levels I loved grouping with people in everquest and thats the main reason why I play online.

• MidnitteMidnitte Member Posts: 510

Originally posted by Wolfenpride
    I loved Eqoa to death, if their were more people playing it I wouldn't hesitate a second to reactivate it again.
    To answer you questions,
    Yes their are tradeskills, however I would not say they are anymore "in depth" most mat's if I recall you just purchased from an npc, I think their were some rare recipes that required special drops but my memory is far off.
    The spells in the game are beautiful, much like in EQ1, bards gain plenty of spells and melee skills, I don't remember them having any musical sounds to them however.
    I wouldn't say it is a full sandbox game, however yes, their is alot of freedom of what you want to do in the game, from quests, grinding, wandering, grouping, dungeon running, etc. Their is no set path for you in the game.
    The original EQ is a big game..big..eqoa has a decent sized world, however it no where matches the scale of EQ1 if you ask me.
    Personally I felt like it was something completely diffrent from EQ, I mean I guess some might feel its a mini eq, but to me it just felt like a whole new game.
    Im going to go ahead and assume they still release content in patches every once in awhile, their was one large expansion for the game, but I dont think they'll make another. I don't play atm, so I couldn't say.
    One word of warning, starting off new in EQOA last I checked is a very lonely expirence, their aren't alot of lowbies around, and most player flock to freeport to meet other players, so if you start in any other city you've got a long journey to freeport.

Some of the areas are in less dept (because of hardware limitations) but have a similar, if smaller layout as EQ1. The trade skills are enjoyable (you can just add stuff and compile it into an item) unlike other MMOs (no gathering recipes just to have to gather the items.) And its not particularly hard or easy, I believe fishing was rather enjoyable too. :P

If you can, try and get some friends to start the game with it, I played it with my brother and mother and we had a lot of fun killing prisoners in the prison near Qeynos.

Well I have no friends I can play with and its usually full groups for exp my friends dont play these kinds of games my gf would but cant afford to get another ps2 and tv and so on.

I really wish I could play a free trial of this game.

And I wish I could play a free trial of Final Fantasy XI!

You can probably look at gameplay videos on youtube and decide if you want to play it, I'm not sure if their are forums for the game (perhaps SOE has forums for it?) but you can probably find current players that might be interested in making new characters with you.

Well almost all mmorpgs have free trials so no need to be sarcastic, its perfectly logical to try before you buy, wow please dont post here anymore thank you.

Originally posted by Angelbound
    Well almost all mmorpgs have free trials so no need to be sarcastic, its perfectly logical to try before you buy, wow please dont post here anymore thank you.
    I wasn't being sarcastic. :(

I understand your logic and wish more games provided demos and trials, but some companies seem to think its not worth the effort or compromises security. I just hope more games have trials in the future. :(

My deepest apologies to you, it just really looked like your sarcastic and im having a few beers over here tonight, been a rough night again I apologize.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Midnitte
    And I wish I could play a free trial of Final Fantasy XI!

You can get a starter pack (no expansions) for $2, and the first 30 days of any FFXI account are always free. Is that close enough?

Wow thats not to bad, what is ff like anyways? I remember when I looked into it someone told me japan was holding the american version back quite a bit, now im not taking this personally that is there own choice and there own problem if they dislike all of us but it would be nice if they realized where not all the same.

Anyways im still wondering what the population on everquest is now and I just might try final fantasy if its good does it offer freedom to?

Sigh I just dont know what to do I mean I want to play it but I dont want to be forced to start in freeport everytime I make a new character, and I want a decent population with variety of levels so I can group up with people.

Since soloing isnt much of an option im not liking this one bit, its either I play a online game on the ps2 or save for some very expensive computer to run anarchy online with there updated graphics engine coming out soon.

Sigh I just dont know what to do I mean I want to play it but I dont want to be forced to start in freeport everytime I make a new character, and I want a decent population with variety of levels so I can group up with people.
    Since soloing isnt much of an option im not liking this one bit, its either I play a online game on the ps2 or save for some very expensive computer to run anarchy online with there updated graphics engine coming out soon.

Ack, I should have realized that since you were asking after EQOA that you had a PS2. Starter Pack is PC only, I'm afraid. While playing on the PS2 is certainly possible (I'm running FFXI on my PS2 as I type this), getting starting with FFXI on a PS2 nowadays is going to be rather difficult, I'm afraid. If you have one of the new "slimline" PS2s, it won't even be possible.

Hmmm im more interested in eq anyways so no biggie but I do have the newer model of ps2 why is it not possible? Just curious.

Hmmm im more interested in eq anyways so no biggie but I do have the newer model of ps2 why is it not possible? Just curious.

Because FFXI on the PS2 uses a hard disk drive. The original release of FFXI for the PS2 came with the only hard disk drive ever released in North America for the PS2. The hard disk for the PS2 in NA was largely a flop. Mostly, it was sabotaged by developers' fears of piracy. FFXI was the only game to ever require it and only a small handful of games even supported it. One of the things they did to make the slimline smaller was to eliminate the bay you put the hard drive in, so the slimline does not support the hard drive. No hard drive, no FFXI. You can play it on the PS3, however, as that machine ships with a hard drive standard and has PS2 compatibility.

Originally posted by ChrisMattern

Because FFXI on the PS2 uses a hard disk drive. The original release of FFXI for the PS2 came with the only hard disk drive ever released in North America for the PS2. The hard disk for the PS2 in NA was largely a flop. Mostly, it was sabotaged by developers' fears of piracy. FFXI was the only game to ever require it and only a small handful of games even supported it. One of the things they did to make the slimline smaller was to eliminate the bay you put the hard drive in, so the slimline does not support the hard drive. No hard drive, no FFXI. You can play it on the PS3, however, as that machine ships with a hard drive standard and has PS2 compatibility.

Or just get it for PC (or even xbox 360), what systems do you have?

Ummm what? They are both the same machines they just made it smaller for convinience thats why its the newer model, im pretty sure if it can play ff it can play eq.

Sadly im on a crappy computer right now, only other systems I have is the wii and ds.

• RonsunRonsun Member Posts: 6

I have 5 slim lines and a PS3 and EQoA works fine.

• itbewillyitbewilly Member UncommonPosts: 351

Ummm what? They are both the same machines they just made it smaller for convinience thats why its the newer model, im pretty sure if it can play ff it can play eq.

Sadly im on a crappy computer right now, only other systems I have is the wii and ds.

The final fantasy game required the hard drive.The EQ game doesn't :) and it will play on the newer systems :)

As for the game itself. EQOA was a ton of fun.The only reason i left it was to play WoW with people i worked with.The gameplay was easy.The graphics were okay and the community on Castle Lightwolf i think it was called was great.You had the people who looked down on others of course but for the most part the game was awesome.I dont know how great it will be in the newbie zones now that a  lot of people have left it but i also think about re-opening my account from time to time to just go back and mess around.Freeport was a fun place to be when they started allowing Black Orcs to raid it.Thank god all the higher level guys camped at the banks selling/making new weapons and stuff.