Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Correspondent - The PvP System

13»

Comments

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Actually shadowbane being a very open ffa pvp game was a great concept and many people played that game. The reason it failed was because the developers couldn't get over the hurdles that made that game basically unplayable at times. From large lag to more, there were allot of reason why shadowbane failed, but it had nothing to do with the game being ffa pvp.

As far as this article goes, I think the writer did an excellent job reporting on what he has read and understands from upcoming patches coming out concerning pvp. Now everyone has an opinion on things, some will like it some will not, but this article wasn't bias. I don't even see it, he wrote in a positive light that the game could actually get better if these things are implemented and from his perspective it looks good. If you don't agree with that then so be it, but don't tell the guy he is clueless when he is writing very openly about it.

While there is no argument that AOC bombed on launch, people are still playing it. Like it or not they will continue to play it and as they have the right to say they like the game you have the right to say you don't. All the correspondents and articles that have come out of this site have been darn good for the many years I have been a member and if you can find better, well you know what to do.

While I don't agree with the writer 100% on things, I do believe he did his best and wrote one heck of an article on things to come, allot of which I was clueless on so bravo for informing those not actually following the game anymore.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Flummoxed

Actually, any advertising that we get from Funcom has no berring on what we write about it.

ie: "On this Commercial web site which is sustained by Advertising Revenue...

Advertising Revenue in fact... has... no... influence."    *jaw drops to table*    wow.

If you really believe that then let me congratulate you on being only the 2nd person in History to be incorruptible and beyond reproach.

Again, the Director of Marketing took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down to me and write a favorable review."

Jon said to him, "Away from me, Satan!  For it is written: 'Worship the general discussion, and serve only the unpaid readership."

Then the Director of Marketing left him, and angels came and attended him.

-Matthew 4: 8-11  massively revised edition

While I laughed at your second part of this (well done btw) it is sad that you beleive everyone in business is corrupt. If that is the world you live in then it is a sad one indeed.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Personally I think AoC should be removed from this website, why drag MMORPG.com through the dirt with these "lite" articles about a game that has pretty much shows up everything an mmo company shouldnt do.

Whether you are a fan or not, you cant deny the lack of professionalism shown by Funcom. Everytime I read an article about AoC, I just want to scream. Its like writing an article about a cars stereo system in a brand new car when the car itself doesnt even run properly. "Oh hey guys this car has a @#(*$@#$ great stereo system, I mean, it doesnt run very well, and a bunch of the options they promised me when I bought it may not be there, but hey, have you heard about the stereosystem it has?

P.S. If you are running low on feces to bag up and set aflame on someones doorstep, I encourage you to substitute AoC. I definately would rather have burning feces on the bottom of my shoe by comparsion.

(No animals were harmed in the making of this post, just fanbois.)

• cluetocalocluetocalo Member Posts: 12

Like we used to say in starcraft "GG NO RE FAILCOM". AGe of conan is dead and it will get burried this fall, when games like warhammer, aion or wotlk will tear it apart.

RIP AGE OF LOLAN

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"Actually shadowbane being a very open ffa pvp game was a great concept and many people played that game. The reason it failed was because the developers couldn't get over the hurdles that made that game basically unplayable at times. From large lag to more, there were allot of reason why shadowbane failed, but it had nothing to do with the game being ffa pvp."

Ah, to say that the above statement is preposterous just does not do it justice.  True, Shadowbane had it's problems.  But the real reason most players left was primarily the ffa pvp.  that is pretty obivous to anyone who played the game.  You just cannot have ffa-pvp without consequences.  Shadowbane is direct proof of that.  That is exactly why Funcom is making changes to pvp. 

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Originally posted by Kunou   
    We rely on users reporting problem posts and bringing them to our attention. So if some of your posts had actions taken against them, that means some other user took offense to something you posted and reported you.

When I read that it dawned on me that my EXTREMELY MILD poking of fun at AoC the other day must have gotten under Avery's skin (or one of his minions) and that would explain what happened.

It seemed so odd to me that with all the people calling each other retards and asshats and other worse things every day that action would be taken against such an innocuous posting as mine.

You might want to tell your mods to actually look at posts and think about how it stacks up in proportion to all the other stuff that goes on on this site before they take action.

• NadrilNadril Member Posts: 1,276

The problem with Funcom's "new" PvP solution is that, unlike other games you flag in, in this one you don't really lose anything when you die unless you are flagged.

In Lineage II you would lose a pretty substantial amount of XP (5% but that's big in the game) and have a small small chance of dropping an item.

In Ultima Online you would drop your entire bags contents.

However, in Age of Conan what do you lose? A small amount of PvP XP? The game was not set up to be made into this kind of game and in turn the PvP patch may even be for the worse then the better. The gear / levels / ect. all sound great but the flagging system needs work.

I played an 80 ToS and then even a 78 HoX (its easy to level just boring) in hopes that more content would be added or that the bugs and crashes would be fixed. I was willing to overlook all of the bugs, crashes, memory leak errors, server disconnects and such purely in hope that I would be getting all of this awesome content "soon".

Funcom has failed to deliver and are paying hard for it.

Originally posted by Neanderthal

Originally posted by Kunou   
    We rely on users reporting problem posts and bringing them to our attention. So if some of your posts had actions taken against them, that means some other user took offense to something you posted and reported you.

When I read that it dawned on me that my EXTREMELY MILD poking of fun at AoC the other day must have gotten under Avery's skin (or one of his minions) and that would explain what happened.

It seemed so odd to me that with all the people calling each other retards and asshats and other worse things every day that action would be taken against such an innocuous posting as mine.

You might want to tell your mods to actually look at posts and think about how it stacks up in proportion to all the other stuff that goes on on this site before they take action.

heh heh I got banned for making a crack about Avery too. Interesting that not a few posts before someone called me a lot worse things than the one crack I made, and which one of us got banned?

Go figure.

• LrdHadesLrdHades Member UncommonPosts: 164

The bottom line with this PVP Murder system is that it doesn't belong on the PVP servers, but would be fine on the PVE servers.  The PVP servers were supposed to be harsher places where a player, or their guild, dealt out player justice.  This murder system is going to kill off world PVP on the PVP servers, sieges don't work worth a crap, and there's no point to arena PVP.

I've never seen a PVP server get slapped with a ruleset like this, but I certainly predict that within a month it will kill off most of the dwindling populations on those servers.

Supreme Leader Hades
    The Imperial Aces
    Discord: https://discord.gg/CjBP4dc

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

[quote]the gear that you acquire from PvP combat will be superior to things that you get from doing any kind of PvE content, after all it should be, killing a player is much harder than killing NPCs after all.

[/quote]

Ok... if you guys are going to claim to be a "news" site and have "correspondents" then you HAVE to not allow them to write with personal inflection like this... it's not news, it's complete opinion.

Imagine the nightly news if the anchor put in a backhanded comment based on their opinion every so often... they'd lose credibility as a reporter.

So, yeah....