Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New AoC Correspondent

Comments

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949
    Originally posted by Dominisi

And - I wasn't aware that when making forum posts I had to make sure that everything I wrote was spelled and grammatically correct. I will start doing this if everybody is going to take the fact that I'm a human gamer, just like the rest of you, and throw that out the window and categorize me with a mindless robot that is doing Funcom's news reporting.

If you're going to market yourself as a "correspondent" I recommend trying to come across as professional as possible, including in the forums.  This means correct spelling, correct grammar, and no dropping of f-bombs or use of "shit", etc.  You don't need to be a "mindless robot" to come across as intelligent and professional in your words.  You have that correspondent title under your name to the left now.

But it's your call man.

• octaocta Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by ZeGerman1942

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Ok if your a spokes person for Funcom please explaine what is going to happen when they start merging servers to the PVP Battlekeeps different guilds have. Another question is what happened to the twice aweek updates oh thats right, changed to once aweek, oh thats right was changed to once every two weeks, oh thats right delayed till the 30th now, oh thats right gonna test everything then let you know. Why should anyone believe anything you or anyone from Funcom says.

First off, I'm not an employee for Funcom. I don't know anything in the nitty-gritty of exactly why, but if you take the time to read Funcom's reasons for these changes, you can probably figure out the answer for yourself. But since it is my job here to correspond: Funcom made the change from twice weekly to once a week because they wanted to produce larger patches that fixed more issues once a week, instead of two smaller patches. Also, with the issue of things constantly getting pushed back, the only simple explanation I can give you is: Programming isn't easy - shit happens. You can't force your employees to stay 24/7 working on patches in order to appease your customers, it just doesn't happen. Also, they figure that it would be better to run the new patches through a week more QA, then to push them out buggier than what they were intended to fix.

And - I wasn't aware that when making forum posts I had to make sure that everything I wrote was spelled and grammatically correct. I will start doing this if everybody is going to take the fact that I'm a human gamer, just like the rest of you, and throw that out the window and categorize me with a mindless robot that is doing Funcom's news reporting.

I have no problem with spelling and grammar, though as an official person on these forums you should really make an effort i suppose.

However the thing that does concern me is that you seem to be drawing a lot of conclusions and guesses.

I.e. your explanation of why patches where changed from 2 weeks to 1 week. Is that a guess or is that the official stance of Funcom communicated to you or the players?

I guess what i am wondering is: is the information you will be giving us your interpretation of official Funcom posts (which we can find on the official forums anyway) or will you be posting information that is given to you, or MMORPG.com, directly, that might not be stated publicly anywhere else?

I'm having a hard time seeing how useful he is too.  Maybe he just writes articles on the front page about Funcom news, in which case he isn't very helpful to anyone coming to the forums.

• NodaedNodaed Member Posts: 31

Let me get this right... We have a correspondent for AOC that gives information on what Funcom is doing ?  How can these forums be anything other than OFFICIAL forums 2 with such a mod.  Get ready for another ban wave.  Now on MMORPG.COM

I wonder if Funcom contacted MMORPG.COM cause there was actually some open discussion going on on these forums about whats going on on official forums and in the game. 

Pathetic really. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I think some people are going overboard

the Op is introducing themselves

while their role is not clear yet,

doesnt sound different than other mmorpg staff supporting info on other mmos

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

I believe the role of correspondent it to write articles, guides, organized previews, etc...of the game they're covering.  In addition it's a volunteer position.

It has nothing to do with Funcom, and everything to do with covering the game.  I'm hoping that correspondents remain impartial and are able to point out both positive and negative aspects of the game they're covering.

One can hope...right?

I'm not a huge fan of the game (okay, I cancelled), but I've always loved the IP.  Don't burn Dominisi at the stake before he's even done anything.  Give the guy a chance.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Nadia

I think some people are going overboard

the Op is introducing themselves

But he said AOC,That's kinda like walking up to a bull in a red jumpsuit.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Guys, I think AoC is a POS like many of you, but Dom here is not with FC. FYI, here is what is required for Game Correspondents, and I assume how he got it.

Opportunities

Full / Part Time Positions

MMORPG.com does not have any immediate full or part time employment opportunities available at this time. But we are always interested in hearing from talented and experienced people. You can send your resume in .doc format for consideration here.

Volunteer Positions

Game Correspondents

We're changing our volunteer program here at MMORPG.com, and we want you to be a part of it!

While we are scaling back on our search for editorialists, you can still submit your name to become a volunteer Game Correspondent.

Game Correspondents will be responsible for keeping up-to-date with their assigned games, covering everything from reviews to unique features to major patches and updates. You will have the opportunity to voice your opinions about the game's progress and share your thoughts with the community at large. You will also have a chance to write useful gameplay guides that would greatly benefit your game's community.

Requirements:
    • Must have the availability to write, at minimum, two articles per month of no less than 1,000 words.
    • Must have and demonstrate a working knowledge of grammar and spelling.
    • Must understand and adhere to deadlines.
    • Must be knowledgeable about your assigned game.
    • Must be an active player in your assigned game.
    Preferred:
    • Experience writing in the games industry.
    • Ability to share your thoughts and opinions with our readers.
    • Long term interest in being an assigned Game Correspondent.
    Benefits:
    • All Game Correspondents will get a unique forum title (ex: World of Warcraft Correspondent).
    • Active Game Correspondents will have their monthly game subscription fully reimbursed (1 game account).
    • Proven Game Correspondents may have additional opportunities for special assignments including but not limited to beta previews.
    To be considered send an email to [email protected], it should include:
    • 500 word article on any interesting topic from the game you currently play.
    • A cover letter detailing your availability and any ideas that you may have.
    • Subject Line: MMORPG.com In-Game Correspondent (your game).

• DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95

I agree with you that my professionalism should be at its peak for the articles that I write. But the ignorance of some of the members of this community is absolutely grotesque. You haven’t even read one of the articles that I have put out, and you are already judging me. You know nothing of my background, or what I will be writing about, and you’re already judging me.

And yes, the bulk of my job is writing news articles for the front page. I’m just coming to the forums and introducing myself because in my articles I want to try and represent the community – not just what Funcom says. But I guess I’m going to get no respect in that.

It’s awesome when the community you are trying to represent flames you before your first time at bat.

Nonetheless my job is to take what Funcom announces, analyze it with their history, past announcements, information I am given, and research that I do on my own, and then write an article for MMORPG outlining the changes, and what they bring to the game, in order to educate patrons to the website who may, or may not, be playing Age of Conan.

Its amazing how you can get flamed for making an introduction post.

Oh, yeah.

I AM NOT AN EMPLOYEE OF FUNCOM, OR A FORUM MODERATOR FOR THIS WEBSITE

Thank you to the more mature members that are trying to correct some of the high school kids who come to these forums for the soul purpose of trying out their flamethrowers.

Dom, if you've been around the game for awhile, you'll see why the flames are so ready to fire. The official forums are a joke, those volunteer mods are assholes to the community. The devs are too good to communicate with their customers, and the anger at the game and FC has been festering for awhile.

That's no excuse for people flaming you for no reason, just a little backround on the mentality of hate towards the game and company. Some people will inevitably see you with some kind of role here more than usual poster, connect that with FC and the game, then start flaming, having no idea they are misguided.

AoC is a terrible game, FC is a terrible MMO company IMO, but there is no cause to flame the guy here at MMORPG for being the one to report on it everyone.

Domenisi,

I'm curious, do you have any special access to information or things in the pipe than we would? If you are going to be commenting on patches, updates etc, are you going to be reporting on the same info we see?

If not, what are you going to use as source material for your articles?

• revelatorXrevelatorX Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by silkworm

Am I happy with AoC? Marginally.
    Am I excited with the potential it holds? Very.

My turd has lots of potential cause it can be used as fertilizer, fuel, cement, artistic material etc. In the end of the day it's still a turd.

Long story short... How can you see potential unless the very core of this "game" is changed so deeply that the outcome is another game is beyong my understanding.

you just can't het the nail any harder or more squarely on the head than this. and it had me ROFLMAO!

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Honestly, you would have done yourself a favor by starting your OP out with this sentence.  It would probably have saved you a lot of grief.   Funcom has burned a lot of people in the last few months, so it's understandable that many people will lash out at anything FC related.

As for being flamed, if this thread is as bad as it gets, you'll be fine.  A long time PvPer like you should have thicker skin!  

Oh, and you'll get a lot of respect around here if you are honest and just tell it like it is in your articles.  AoC has good and bad -- don't hold back on either!

I agree with you that my professionalism should be at its peak for the articles that I write. But the ignorance of some of the members of this community is absolutely grotesque. You haven’t even read one of the articles that I have put out, and you are already judging me. You know nothing of my background, or what I will be writing about, and you’re already judging me.

And yes, the bulk of my job is writing news articles for the front page. I’m just coming to the forums and introducing myself because in my articles I want to try and represent the community – not just what Funcom says. But I guess I’m going to get no respect in that.

It’s awesome when the community you are trying to represent flames you before your first time at bat.

Nonetheless my job is to take what Funcom announces, analyze it with their history, past announcements, information I am given, and research that I do on my own, and then write an article for MMORPG outlining the changes, and what they bring to the game, in order to educate patrons to the website who may, or may not, be playing Age of Conan.

Oh, yeah.
    Thank you to the more mature members that are trying to correct some of the high school kids who come to these forums for the soul purpose of trying out their flamethrowers.

Woah calm down.  If you took what I said as flaming I apologize.  I was just trying to figure out what your role was.  I admit to being ignorant of MMORPG.com correspondants and what they do. I know Sword of the New World has a rep from the company in the mmorpg.com forums that spins everything people are critical about and I thought you might be in the same capacity.  Once again, I apologize.

I look forward to your (hopefully) impartial articles, and welcome!

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366

Oh, yeah.

Given the criteria for your reporting will you call Funcom out when needed. I mean if we use past history as a judge then glowing reviews will be few and far between.

And good  luck

Fungerer som det skal

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Something not right here and smells fishy, why do we need a AOC correspondent here. As far as explaiining what Funcom is trying to do we have AmazingAvery pointing out the greatness that is Funcom. Though it would not surprise me if Funcom caught wind of how bad things really are and they can not shut down the decent here like they are on there forums they get someone like this guy trying to paint a more positive picture of Funcom. This is not adding up folks

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Something not right here and smells fishy, why do we need a AOC correspondent here. As far as explaiining what Funcom is trying to do we have AmazingAvery pointing out the greatness that is Funcom. Though it would not surprise me if Funcom caught wind of how bad things really are and they can not shut down the decent here like they are on there forums they get someone like this guy trying to paint a more positive picture of Funcom. This is not adding up folks

Well if you noticed they are hiring correspondents for every game , So either every company is doing as you speak or none .I'll go with none.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Lol. Something isn't adding up all right.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Where I come from, 2+2 = PIE

Bit of a tinfoil hat theory there :) 

There is a lot of positives to Age of Conan and Funcom that should be reported on here albeit with a good balance of criticism as well.  So far the one interview on the front page with Funcom at E3 was anything but critical and seemed to have been written by someone who hasn't played the game.

So if we have a correspondant familiar with the game(both its negatives and positives) I think we'll get much better quality articles on the front page to comment and discuss.

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884

With the enhancements that should be comming down the line it should be a vast improvement over what we currently have.

You used the word "should" twice in the same sentence.  And not to be negative on you, Dominisi, but you are dealing with a lot of cynical people.

• ZhqrxtZhqrxt Member Posts: 152

You share the feeling with many on theese forums, that AoC was released 6 months to early. What part of AoC do you feel is left unfinished?

Atm, AoC ride on poisened wave of  pure " cannot win". It seems like no matter what FC communicate to its customers they will only se it from a negative angle. Wouldnt it be a better solution, to actually communicate as little as possible, leaving everything which isnt strictly game oriented to the fc offices.I mean atm it looks like the more information FC releases, the more can be turned around and used with a boomerang effect. Especially hiring certain new moderators have not been worth the salery spent imo.

Is bad publicity really better then no publicity in this case?

While i wasnt overwhelmed by Aoc, i cant help thinking that with all the flaming towards the game, some kind of viral hate must be going on.  Not that its been planted or anything, but somewhere must the marketing of the game have gone horrible wrong - its defenately not half as bad as the current  negative "hype" utters. No game is that bad. 

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578

You are opening a can of worms. I have never ever seen a game generate this much hate as AoC has.

The reason is not the quality of the game itself, its just a buggy poorly programed product. The reason is the way funcom has lied to its customers from the start and still cannot help but continue to lie and therefore disrespect their customers. That kind of disrespect create anger, lots of anger.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by afoaa

You are opening a can of worms. I have never ever seen a game generate this much hate as AoC has.
    The reason is not the quality of the game itself, its just a buggy poorly programed product. The reason is the way funcom has lied to its customers from the start and still cannot help but continue to lie and therefore disrespect their customers. That kind of disrespect create anger, lots of anger.

You hit the nail on the head. I think AOC is a terrible game, lackluster, bug ridden, and well flat out boring. That isn t the worst part, it s the complete and utter lieing and BS ing that FC pulls off that makes me and many many people upset. All i can say is i hope this isn t the start of a bunch of sugar coated crap articles, because if it is , you think you ve been flamed now just wait.

• DominisiDominisi Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 95

I don't plan on sugar coating articles, my first one comes out sometime this week, I indicate how upset the community is, its probably going to be my most sugar coated article. So stand by to stand by.

Ooh rah.