Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*vomits*

2»

Comments

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I think DC will be better than Champions Online. Mainly, because I thought CoX was a way too repetitive. Why would Champions be any different?

• thenedainthenedain Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Galgamemnon

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Umbral

Thanks for the reply, although that argument i posted took literally 10 seconds, to be honest i dont really give a crap about mmorpg business or grahpical issues, i played EQ2 for 3 1/2 years, as for the graphics i ran it on high quality suffering only minor lag in raids which was easily fixed using balanced. As for SoE they have a very terrible reputation of ruining games which is why i made this topic, the only success if you even call it a success is the everquest series (excluding online adventures) which nowadays are very very empty compaired to 2-3 years ago, even everquest 1 when i played it 4 years ago was 100x as populated as now. SoE refuses to fix common bugs and provide continuing content for damn near all their games. Im sure you could argue easily but who couldn't? I used to be an SoE fanboy but they really lost my interest lately.

To make this clear DC Universe will not beat CoH or Champions online. Why? because NCSoft has better developers, better control, and has a very nice and clean reputation ^_^

Good luck though

Now that you changed your argument I must say, I agree with you.

To tell the truth, as a pure game, DC universe may be better than CoH as I find EQ2 better than L2, but , well , we know what happens...

Well, there is NCSoft asian and NCSoft american, L2 is korean therefore not really a "real" mmorpg as it lacks quests and real dungeon experiences. I liked CoH because they did a good job on costume customization and the powers were beautifully done. If DC Universe can top that then bravo SoE.

First of all do some reaserch on Lineage 2 as it has quests (repeatables as well) and dungeons that are enormous.

I also suggest you look up what mmorpg actually means because it doesn't mean what you think with means.

Finally, stop being so narrow minded by acting like all korean mmo's are the same.

Lol, all asian mmorpg ARE THE SAME! repeatable quests? boring. Enormous dungeons of bad respeating textures? barf. L2 is the poster child of grind. Im only being narrow minded because thats all i can be after my experiences. Ive been playing mmorpgs for 9 years and ive yet to find 1 dynamic asian mmorpg. The only hope i have left is DBO (dragon ball online) god help us if it sucks. Im not trying to be ignorant im just expressing my feelings and opinions, i may be leftist at times but its a personal opinion thats all.

Woah, wait a moment.  Did you just complain that Korean MMOs consist of dungeons with all the same textures, yet you stated earlier that CoX was a superior MMO?  I played CoX for years, and in that time I entered the same exact building at least a hundred times on missions.  Likewise with caves.  Not only do they have the same textures, they all have the same design! 

I'll grant you that at one point in time there were some great developers on CoX.  That all stopped shortly after the issuance of City of Villains.  Actually, City of Villains for all it's greatness really dropped the ball by forcing the Villain side of the game to stay in it's own zones and only be able to access PvP zones.  The Base system was neat, but they completely flubbed the Base Raid system.  This is one of my biggest hopes for DCU: Metropolis, Gotham City and such should be one giant villain and hero playground. 

It's not the only problem with CoX.  Since CoV, they've pretty much gone stagnant as far as development is concerned.  They've added a few things, but nothing to make the game any less than a pretty huge and boring grind.  The Oroboros system was a plus though, I'll give them that.  Too bad the two power sets they've added are perhaps the two least requested.  Willpower's decent, but where's the Shield weapon power?  Where's all the other powers that are staples of the superhero genre? 

Champions looks good, but it's incredibly niche, even for the already niche superhero genre.  It'll attract fans of the tabletop game and the curious while DCU will attract the huge amount of DC fans.  In this case, setting trumps all. 

• GalgamemnonGalgamemnon Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by thenedain

Thanks for the reply, although that argument i posted took literally 10 seconds, to be honest i dont really give a crap about mmorpg business or grahpical issues, i played EQ2 for 3 1/2 years, as for the graphics i ran it on high quality suffering only minor lag in raids which was easily fixed using balanced. As for SoE they have a very terrible reputation of ruining games which is why i made this topic, the only success if you even call it a success is the everquest series (excluding online adventures) which nowadays are very very empty compaired to 2-3 years ago, even everquest 1 when i played it 4 years ago was 100x as populated as now. SoE refuses to fix common bugs and provide continuing content for damn near all their games. Im sure you could argue easily but who couldn't? I used to be an SoE fanboy but they really lost my interest lately.

To make this clear DC Universe will not beat CoH or Champions online. Why? because NCSoft has better developers, better control, and has a very nice and clean reputation ^_^

Good luck though

To tell the truth, as a pure game, DC universe may be better than CoH as I find EQ2 better than L2, but , well , we know what happens...

Well, there is NCSoft asian and NCSoft american, L2 is korean therefore not really a "real" mmorpg as it lacks quests and real dungeon experiences. I liked CoH because they did a good job on costume customization and the powers were beautifully done. If DC Universe can top that then bravo SoE.

First of all do some reaserch on Lineage 2 as it has quests (repeatables as well) and dungeons that are enormous.

I also suggest you look up what mmorpg actually means because it doesn't mean what you think with means.

Finally, stop being so narrow minded by acting like all korean mmo's are the same.

Lol, all asian mmorpg ARE THE SAME! repeatable quests? boring. Enormous dungeons of bad respeating textures? barf. L2 is the poster child of grind. Im only being narrow minded because thats all i can be after my experiences. Ive been playing mmorpgs for 9 years and ive yet to find 1 dynamic asian mmorpg. The only hope i have left is DBO (dragon ball online) god help us if it sucks. Im not trying to be ignorant im just expressing my feelings and opinions, i may be leftist at times but its a personal opinion thats all.

Woah, wait a moment.  Did you just complain that Korean MMOs consist of dungeons with all the same textures, yet you stated earlier that CoX was a superior MMO?  I played CoX for years, and in that time I entered the same exact building at least a hundred times on missions.  Likewise with caves.  Not only do they have the same textures, they all have the same design! 

I'll grant you that at one point in time there were some great developers on CoX.  That all stopped shortly after the issuance of City of Villains.  Actually, City of Villains for all it's greatness really dropped the ball by forcing the Villain side of the game to stay in it's own zones and only be able to access PvP zones.  The Base system was neat, but they completely flubbed the Base Raid system.  This is one of my biggest hopes for DCU: Metropolis, Gotham City and such should be one giant villain and hero playground. 

It's not the only problem with CoX.  Since CoV, they've pretty much gone stagnant as far as development is concerned.  They've added a few things, but nothing to make the game any less than a pretty huge and boring grind.  The Oroboros system was a plus though, I'll give them that.  Too bad the two power sets they've added are perhaps the two least requested.  Willpower's decent, but where's the Shield weapon power?  Where's all the other powers that are staples of the superhero genre? 

Champions looks good, but it's incredibly niche, even for the already niche superhero genre.  It'll attract fans of the tabletop game and the curious while DCU will attract the huge amount of DC fans.  In this case, setting trumps all. 

Actually no that post was off-topic i apologise, CoH is superior to DC Universe is what i posted earlier =P not compairing it to korean mmos. I rant off like that sometimes.

Im flaming sony right now lol.

• thenedainthenedain Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by thenedain

Good luck though

Actually no that post was off-topic i apologise, CoH is superior to DC Universe is what i posted earlier =P not compairing it to korean mmos. I rant off like that sometimes.

Im flaming sony right now lol.

Oh.  Alrighty.  Flame on, then!

• M1sf1tM1sf1t Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

How old are you? Also why would SOE developing a DC Universe MMO hurt CoV/H and Champions? Unless those games end up being the lesser of the 3 super hero based games on the market then I don't see how this would hurt the super hero MMO genre. This post seems like a very childish and irrational pleading attempt for no apparent reason.

Games I've played/tried out:WAR, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, AoC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, Vangaurd, FFXI, D&DO, Lineage 2, Saga Of Ryzom, EvE Online, DAoC, Guild Wars,Star Wars Galaxies, Hell Gate London, Auto Assault, Grando Espada ( AKA SoTNW ), Archlord, CoV/H, Star Trek Online, APB, Champions Online, FFXIV, Rift Online, GW2.

Game(s) I Am Currently Playing:

GW2 (+LoL and BF3)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by brostyn

I think DC will be better than Champions Online. Mainly, because I thought CoX was a way too repetitive. Why would Champions be any different?

Using that mindframe, why would you expect SOE to put out anything other than some unfinished piece of trash that needs several years of post launch revamps to even be considered a decent game by the few people who decide to stick around?

Odds are Champions online will be made about gameplay and basic subscription fee like everyone else, instead of centered around microtransactions, in game adversting, extra subscription fees and whatever other means SOE cooks up to grab more money from each subscriber. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Odds are Champions online will be made about gameplay and basic subscription fee like everyone else, instead of centered around microtransactions, in game adversting, extra subscription fees and whatever other means SOE cooks up to grab more money from each subscriber. 

who knows

meanwhile, City of Heroes is now giving the option of respecs by cash payment

play.tm/wire/click/2038203

Optional Character Respecs are available via the in-game store found at the character select screen for the per transaction price of $9.99 USD.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Originally posted by JestorRodo

Originally posted by Nadia

more choices is not a bad thing

I agree the New DC Universe will make the NCsoft's COx and Champions on-line look that much better!

Still haven't grown over your childish SOE rampage eh?

Everything I've heard about DC online says it's an action game designed for the playstation, not a true MMO.

I enjoy playing CoH, but I seriously doubt I'll even try this game.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Originally posted by JestorRodo

more choices is not a bad thing

I agree the New DC Universe will make the NCsoft's COx and Champions on-line look that much better!

Still haven't grown over your childish SOE rampage eh?

Everything I've heard about DC online says it's an action game designed for the playstation, not a true MMO.

I enjoy playing CoH, but I seriously doubt I'll even try this game.

There will be an open world as well as instances, so I assume it's world design is somewhat similar to city of heroes. If you think that it's not a true mmo just because the combat  isn't slow and 100% based on numbers like in City of Heroes then I suggest you take a good look at the term MMORPG.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

www.massively.com/2008/06/27/dc-universe-online-details-emerge/

This game is described by Lee as a "kick-ass hybrid between a traditional MMO and a first-person action console game".

Character creation promises to be diverse, and all of the expected MMO features are listed:

character leveling, PvP arenas, raids, shared environments as well as instanced zones.

While you may not be able to actually play as Superman or Batman, you will be able to meet them in game, and even battle them if you're playing the villain.

• GalgamemnonGalgamemnon Member Posts: 115

www.massively.com/2008/06/27/dc-universe-online-details-emerge/

This game is described by Lee as a "kick-ass hybrid between a traditional MMO and a first-person action console game".

Character creation promises to be diverse, and all of the expected MMO features are listed:

character leveling, PvP arenas, raids, shared environments as well as instanced zones.

While you may not be able to actually play as Superman or Batman, you will be able to meet them in game, and even battle them if you're playing the villain.

similar to SWG and Tabula Rasa, both hybrids but still TRUE MMO

This is going to be a true mmorpg even if its faster and more action packed =P