Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Endgame content?

Comments

• DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco Member Posts: 1,757
    Originally posted by nitefly

It all depends on what you want in a MMO.

Lord of the Rings: Online has a nice name and takes very little involvement to achieve everything in. It is the most casual title out among the triple-A crowd and it will ofcourse show in various departments. "Very little" is very vague. If I dedicated all my free time to LOTRO that I have, I'd stil be nowhere near having accomplished everything. You can't compare dedication of a high school kid on his summer holiday, and a working adult with a family.

The world is confined and small with a clear "follow-the-line" type of super-quest that will also make sure players progress in a set way if they follow it. In an effort to enhance this element, they have reduced experience gain to a negligible amount unless you do quests. Random running around IC and having fun with friends without following a quest line is giving next to no experience.
    My level 45 burglar is getting 400 Xp per mob killed. An average quest completion gives somewhere around 4500 XP reward. So, you can sub any quest with killing 10-12 mob. I would hardly call that "next to nothing".

In order to avoid thinking about class balancing and having players tinker with their characters all character classes have been devised to be identical across levels. There is no difference between one level 30 Guardian and another level 30 Guardian, all are the same, again to minimize the load on players, having to be able to cope with perhaps different playstyles from different potential party members. That's also not true, at best, a huge exaggeration. Only truth is, that there are smaller chances to differentiate 2 guardians at only level 30, but if I decide to use 2 handed weapon with owerpower stance and DPS traits, I will be a completely different player than one who uses his shield and his block reaction skillset. That differentiation is also true for minstrels (DPS stance "war-speech" with limited heal, or full healer stance (with matching skill- and traitset). So this, again, was not true.

This is a minor concern ofcourse, because even though some quests are labelled "Group" (and some was hard earlier in the game), the difficulty has now been dropped to such an extent that the "Group" label is more misleading than anything. You mean auroch's are now signature instead of elite? Some quests are also a little easier, but there is plenty of 6-man only quests. Overall, Lotro is not planned to be frustrating, but entertaining instead. Some hint of truth here though.

It is also a very formal and "stand still in your spot" combat interface that lends well to players doing other things at the same time. It is no problem looking through the Tolkien books for instance at the same time, wondering about the giant flys, constantly attacking and marauding bears right next to villages and how the litterary Middle-Earth suddenly became LEGOLAND: Middle-Earth. That, is strictly your feeling, and nothing more. I actually feel like walking "in the book", and I have a suspicion that I'm not alone with that. Not saying it's *perfect* (couldn't be for all, comes without saying), but it certainly does a good job at creating an atmosphere. That is, if you care enough.

And the best thing about the game: Everytime you return it is clearly noticable how many more RMTs that have given up on this promising title!

Soon you might be able to have the whole server for yourself and your five closest friends.
    That's actually BS, population is on the increase, that will be a lot more obvious with the closing of this week, since B14 is out now in the US, and will launch on Thursday for the EU:

(Post held in a slightly sarcastic tone, I do still play Lord of the Rings: Online from time to time, but the potential wasted far outweighs the potential realised in this title)

Sarcastic is fine, misinformation is hardly funny though...

DB

Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by solareus

Originally posted by observer

All the content in LotRO could be done in 2 months or less, with little to no effort.   This is without spending 20 hours a day, but more like 4-8 hours a day. 

Prove it. Or be a troll, you pick.

As far as end game, there is some wicked things in Ettenmoors to get, as well as questsd in Angmar and Misty Mounts, At level 49 I am on Book 5 out of 14 as well as just doing the moors. I opted to not do the about 20 quests between Angmar and Misty Mountians because I want to get the Moors Armor sets

I also have my Lengendary traits to get , as well as getting many many more deeds done.

Anyone whining about content and the lack of it, basically needs to find a new game because LotrO has massive amount of content, but players who are used to spoon feeding are just to lazy to complete it.

It's very possible to do it without playing 20 hours a day in two months. This game is still very dry of endgame content and will be for some time. 8 hours a day is plenty of time to complete 90% if not more of the content.

There aren't any "wicked" things in the Ettenmoors to get and your fanboism must being blinding you into actually believing that bs. The epic quests were very obviously rushed after book 6 and they totally suck ass after that. Funny to see that you are PvPing just for the gear too, another of my complaints of this game.

You actually like the pointless mindless grind of completing deeds? Are you serious? You like sitting there and killing 500 mobs for 11 morale and 3 might? Really? Lol.

This game is nothing but spoonfeeding, with every patch the game is made but easier. THIS is THE game for people who WANT content spoonfed to them.

• jarishjarish Member Posts: 526

No, people think end-game HAS to mean doing raids over and over. They have no comprehension that there are other things to do. They only want to do things that give them better gear or better things.

LOTRO isn't about that. If you can grasp that end-game isn't just about doing a couple different raids all the time, then there is a lot to do in LOTRO.

Brandywine Global LFF chan "/joinchannel glff"

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Endgame is dependent on how fast you level cap.  If you're the type of player that hits 50 in a month no amount of endgame content will probably make you happy.

If you're the type of player that takes 6 months to hit 50, there will be a lot to keep you active.

If you're the type of player that takes 12 months to hit 50 (yes, they exist), there's more endgame than you probably know what to do with.

It's all relative.

Originally posted by jarish

No, people think end-game HAS to mean doing raids over and over. They have no comprehension that there are other things to do. They only want to do things that give them better gear or better things.
    LOTRO isn't about that. If you can grasp that end-game isn't just about doing a couple different raids all the time, then there is a lot to do in LOTRO.

"LOTRO is seriously lacking endgame" is gotta be the stupidest and most meaningless thing ever said about a game, that will have continous updates and yearly addons for god knows how many years. By the time we are in Mordor, the level cap will probably be 90 or 100, who knows?

"Endgame" - a term which means nothing in such a concept. It's like trying to divide by zero. Void of meaning and sense. Null.

DB

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

Originally posted by bluealien1

All the content in LotRO could be done in 2 months or less, with little to no effort.   This is without spending 20 hours a day, but more like 4-8 hours a day. 

Fanboy HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There aren't any "wicked" things in the Ettenmoors to get

Did you not see the gear sets ? Dude , they are wicked  to me atleast and class specific . The Guardian shield is crazy awesome lol ...

cool enough for me to grind for ... lol

Yeah their so wicked that Turbine took the same exact gear models from the Helegrod set and applied a purple overlay to the texture.

I used to play a Guardian, that shield is terrible for a Guardian, 15 Will, are they serious? Do they actually play this game?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Fanboy HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There aren't any "wicked" things in the Ettenmoors to get

Did you not see the gear sets ? Dude , they are wicked  to me atleast and class specific . The Guardian shield is crazy awesome lol ...

cool enough for me to grind for ... lol

Yeah their so wicked that Turbine took the same exact gear models from the Helegrod set and applied a purple overlay to the texture.

I used to play a Guardian, that shield is terrible for a Guardian, 15 Will, are they serious? Do they actually play this game?

Turbine dont mind things like this or players named CheeseyPie in the Lotr universe.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Are you talking about this one:

lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Stonehelm_Shield

that can be clicked for a 100% incoming damage reduction?  That looks pretty good to me . . .

Or did you mean the one with frequent damage reduction procs, and fate (not will)?  There is one other shield with the same proc ability and better stats, but you have to give up 100 armor.  I've seen Gaurdians do some amazing things if they paired the shield up with a chest that has the same proc.  It 's a lot better than it looks on paper. 

If you do a  comparison, a full set of PvP gear is pretty damn close to the Rift gear, and you don't have to raid till you vomit blood to get it.  For some classes there are better items in the 'moors for specific slots.  For example the best  'moors bow is better than the Rift bow.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• niteflynitefly Member Posts: 340
    Originally posted by jarish

I see this a lot from entrenched MMO players, saying that "people" think raiding is the only End Game.

If we back away and just look at Gaming instead of putting on our various "I support X game" or "I hate Y game" T-shirts, there really is a true need for some form of ongoing entertainment in a Persistent online game if people are not to either 1) Repeat the same content over and over; or 2) Go to other games.

There are obvious possibilities in all MMOs; the most obvious is rerolling as a new character, depending on the MMO this can mean race/class/profession and even more. That's the most elaborate version of redoing the same content over and over. In some games a completely different track might be available, in others a completely new track might have been made available since your last character advanced, still it leads to the same End Game as your first (or second, third, fourth) character.

So the End Game is really about options, giving a wide selection of things to do at End Level without making them feel repetitive or you give possibilities of taking your already maxed out character and do something else with said character.

I know there will be people saying that it is a mistake to even get to max level, that anyone making it to max level isn't enjoying the game or isn't getting the spirit of the game. I think that's more or less as subjective as you can get and I really don't think the Level System was implemented by mistake, it was put in deliberately by Turbine and it was a deliberate choice that the 50 levels was set as the maximum.

Unless you fundamentally disagree with me that End Game is about the available options and the lessening of repetition, I think we can take a level-headed look at what we have available in Lord of the Rings: Online.

There is the Rift which is a lot of fun and can be run numerous times by people like me without feeling repetitive. It is however not readily available unless you either have found 11 other friends or is in an established Kinship.

I don't think anybody is doing Helegrod anymore and it is even more inaccessible set at 24 players.

Aninuminas is for 6 people and is the obvious choice if you're not in an established Kinship.

Apart from the instances, you can do PvMP which I find to be immediately repetitive but other people might think differently. I think the fact that the area is the same makes it dull for me, sometimes it would be fun if the play area was just a random region slightly altered to make it look attacked and burned or something (not as part of the ongoing game but as a pseudo-storyline for PvMP only, for instance in the Books, the Shire is burned down).

Then you can max out your Profession. I'm the kind of nerd that does that although I admit it is alot about grinding materials or playing the Auction House.

Then you can grind Reputation with various Groups. I find this to be a bit too tedious in Lord of the Rings: Online, I think a bit more thought is needed here as the current implementation is too much of a time-sink instead of providing me with a real sense of progression. Again, personal oppinion, your mileage may vary.

Then you can tinker with your Character, something I enjoy A LOT in other games (WoW, AoC, DDO, CoH/V, VG, EQ2, TR, Ryzom, GW). To be absolutely honest, the idea of extreme Grinds to earn Deeds (300+ in some cases) and then no real differentiation (you don't specialize, thereby becoming strong in one field while sacrificing another, encouraging a new playstyle and sub-genre of your class) is to me a huge letdown. I'm aware that they said that they will change this in Mines of Moria (expansion) but I really find it a bit despicable to wait 1½ years before giving character building options to the players. Again, personal opinion, I'm the kind of player that loves to try out new playstyles, find new equipment for that (that looks nice or fitting to the role) and then see how it will play. To me this prolongs the enjoyment in a character and to find it lacking so much was the biggest disappointment in this title.

The last End Game activity that is obvious is roleplaying which is available in all MMOs but apart from Saga of Ryzom it isn't supported by the game world of most MMOs. The game world is more often than not static, player accomplishments/buildings and so on are tucked away in instances away from the world, creating the feel of secluded extra dimensions (Vanguard was actually doing something right here, placing player made cities in the primary game world and Saga of Ryzom was amazing with the possibility of changing NPC interaction, breeding of animals, the growing of flora, etc.)

So roleplaying in Lord of the Rings: Online is just like roleplaying in AoC or WoW, chat texting with a graphical user interface and no immersion. That's not an attack against Lord of the Rings: Online specifically, it is more a general sigh of frustration that what was once thought to be MMORPGs are now just MMOs.

EDIT: I have left out "Doing all Quests available" as that is propably (if you're slightly like me) something you would keep for your other characters in order to make the levelling of the new character as different from the old one as possible. If you are the kind of person that plays one - and ONLY one - character, you can add that to the list.

Nitefly,

This last post of yours was a LOT better than the previous one, I also find your points valid, and a good base for discussion.

Keeping the players occupied is always a nightmare for MMO developers - and there are always those who just cannot be "satisfied", since they have so much time on their hand to play.

LOTRO did never really want to satisfy these people - and they soon realize that and leave this game - some of them bitching (see previous page in this thread), some quietly.

The thing imho that LOTRo does excellently, is providing more and more content in a steady and planned manner. Lifetimers all are relaxed because they know precisely that there will be new things to do every 3-4 months, and whole new regions, quest chains, features (!!!) coming every year. This, is a concept that will probably not bring in millions of players, but will most certainly keep LOTRO's population happy, and the subscriber numbers in the steady couple of hundred thousands, which, today counts as a thrilling success for a P2P MMO.

Just my 2 cents.

DB

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

I really dont understand why some ppl pay to play this game even though they dont like it, the way turbine build the game should be quite efficient a repelling the leetkidz, yet we still see some of them troll here and say that the game is bad even though they play it.

Instead of whining here because set in lotro dont shine in every possible way and like every mmorpg when you reach max level you have less things to do than when you start the game ( other than eve) ( that about pve).

Just move along try to get a life or start playing another game that has end game content and which's armors look like christmas trees

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Turbine dont mind things like this or players named CheeseyPie in the Lotr universe.

Nice to see that the Amazing Avery likes AoC so much that he has to come to the LotrO forum with his stupid one-liners....

On topic:

The difference between LotrO end game and other MMOs... is that Turbine doenst put stupid time sinks INFRONT of you to keep you away from reaching the content... Thats my favourite part about the game :)

If you are a hardcore gamer maybe it hurts your e-peen that a casual gamer can raid the rift without spending 8 hours / day in the game!

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Ok avery your dad should really have worn a condom, why should anyone use a non lore compatible name in a no rp server, if you want ppl that have names that are lroe approved go check out the rp servs. Lotro has the best rp in all mmos. And the name you used as an example isnt half as retarded as what you might see in other mmos.

gratz you are one of the rare trolls that wander around the lotro forums.

^ all above is imo

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• SharkypalSharkypal Member Posts: 1,137
    Originally posted by beaverz

Ok avery your dad should really have worn a condom, why should anyone use a non lore compatible name in a no rp server, if you want ppl that have names that are lroe approved go check out the rp servs. Lotro has the best rp in all mmos. And the name you used as an example isnt half as retarded as what you might see in other mmos.
    gratz you are one of the rare trolls that wander around the lotro forums.
    ^ all above is imo

Dont even bother with that guy m8. He's a rabid fanboy. I don't understand why these guys feel the need to come here and bash Lotro. If AoC is so great, then why bother?

Avery : Seriously guy, go play your amazing game and enjoy :)

S

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    EDIT: I have left out "Doing all Quests available" as that is propably (if you're slightly like me) something you would keep for your other characters in order to make the levelling of the new character as different from the old one as possible. If you are the kind of person that plays one - and ONLY one - character, you can add that to the list.

Well said nitefly, it's pretty much how i feel about LotRO.  And yes, i only played one character at 50, with the exception of an alt i tried, only got him to 15 or 16 though.

50 Captain, all deeds done except 1, all class quests finished, GM Weaponsmith, Rank 6 Freep, Rank 6 Creep, most quests finished except a few zones, maxed out with 2 reputations (i just had to get the annunimas horse :P), 3 pieces of Rift gear & 3 pieces of PvMP gear, Rift raid up to Thrang only, and all books finished up to 12 (it's when i quit).  Keep in mind, i did all this in around 2-3 months playing around 5-8 hours a day or more, depending how bored i was.

What else was there for me to do?  You guessed it, find another hobby and get more sun.

Well said nitefly, it's pretty much how i feel about LotRO.  And yes, i only played one character at 50, with the exception of an alt i tried, only got him to 15 or 16 though.

50 Captain, all deeds done except 1, all class quests finished, GM Weaponsmith, Rank 6 Freep, Rank 6 Creep, most quests finished except a few zones, maxed out with 2 reputations (i just had to get the annunimas horse :P), 3 pieces of Rift gear & 3 pieces of PvMP gear, Rift raid up to Thrang only, and all books finished up to 12 (it's when i quit).  Keep in mind, i did all this in around 2-3 months playing around 5-8 hours a day or more, depending how bored i was.

What else was there for me to do?  You guessed it, find another hobby and get more sun.

You still act like content patches and upcoming MoM didn't exist....

Also, 5-8 or more hours per day for 2-3 months - not sure which 1 year old MMO would have kept you playing for more with this tremendous rate. With this schedule, you'll always run out of content in every game.

DB

• CharlizdCharlizd Member UncommonPosts: 923

The real problem here is that the game is a success in many ways and most of those that deny this just cant accept that the game they believed would not make it has done every bit aswell that most of us that do like it have predicted.

LoTRO = Success

LoTRO does not = the best MMO on the market

LoTRO does not = the No.1 MMO around

LoTRO does not = a perfect game but it is pretty bloody close to it IMO.

Andrew "Charlizd" Phippen | Lead World Builder | The Saga of Lucimia MMORPG
  • tfox2k1tfox2k1 Member Posts: 215

LOTRO has plenty of end game.

First you can raid, some of the absolute best raids in any MMO and you don't have to spend months farming faction or reputation to get into the raid instance. 

You can PVP, some of the most balanced and fun PVP I've ever experienced in an MMO.   I feel its the absolute best PVP of any MMO out.   Not only can you PVP with your primary character but you can also get onto a Monster.   Monster play is amazing and the most PVP fun to be had in any game.    In addition if you like a challange, try leveling up your monster skills in a full PVP environment.  Most of you can't handle it.   For those who can you're rewarded with an extremely powerful Monster Character.

You can level up alts.    Lots of variety in the classes, and all of them are fun and needed in a group.   Quite a nice change from other MMOs.    Yes that is right, EVERY Class is very much needed in a group or Raid  in LOTRO.

Crafting, I've not done much of this, just not enough time with everything else.    Seems extremely nice though and the crafted gear is either the best or near the best in the game.

Role Play.   Who doesn't want to relive all of the adventures in the books.   I remember seeing the three trolls that were killed by the sun.   I was just wondering around and came across these trolls.  I spent an hour just looking around and remembering the passages in the books.   Actually playing LOTRO got me reading the books again, first time in nearly 20 years.    I already finished the Hobbit, better than I remember and am on the Trilogy.   Imagine that a computer game that gets you to read a book!

Community.   Hands down the best in any MMO and why else play an MMO if not for the community.   Mostly extremely helpful and friendly.    Even the few idiots, can do very little to harm you.

Economy.    Very healthy and inflation not too bad.

Developers.  Seem excellent, bit too much of a nerf on the last patch for my class a Loremaster, but they listen and follow their own vision.    Usually their vision is right, and when its not they back off a bit.   Also lots of free content.    If MoM is half as good as the developers are telling us, its going to be the best expansion ever released for an MMO.

Overall LOTRO, while not perfect, is the best game by far in the genre.