Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why play Maplestory?

dknight784dknight784 Member Posts: 44

I ask you people of mmorpg.com

Why should I be playing Maplestory instead of another free MMO?

It looks like you could grind for days on this game and not reach 1 lvl.

Show/tell me why I should at least try or should be playing Maplestory

Comments

• yirenyiren Member Posts: 8

now thats a real noob... cant reach lv1 in days...

im 60... compare to that =.= and other mules that is pretty high...

reasons to play MS...

free...

fun...but sometimes get bored... u lv fast if u find some way... like pqs...

2D...

dress up ur character O.o

graphic...

friends...

spare time ...

i belive theres more ...

• Jordan23tJordan23t Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by yiren (the ms nub) 

reasons to play MS...
    free...
    2D...
    graphic...
    friends...
    spare time ...
    i belive theres more ...

WOW, MS is very boring to me! I play Runescape much better than MS....

Why i play runescape?

free...

fun...ALOT OF QUEST

3D...

dress up ur character O.o

and fight monsters

graphics are nice!...

friends...

skills, like Woodcuting, firemaking, alot more! ...

??ˆ??˜“°'*ªºª*'°”`˜`ˆ??ˆ??˜“°'*ªºª*'°”`˜`ˆ??ˆ??˜“°'*ªºª*'°”`˜`ˆ?

• yirenyiren Member Posts: 8

MAN...

u ppl never get this

i think runescape is bad =.= and since it changed alot i dont see any diff , and runescape's graphic is bad too and its boring

so we think the same way about different things

and i dont care, just a STUPID GAME, my my...

• ProbablyBestProbablyBest Member Posts: 10

Your post made me cry (no offense).

Good graphics in MS? You gotta be kidding me. That 2D game has one of the worst graphics I've seen in a mmmorpg with enough players to be called one.

I do have to admit with sorrow that I played MS. However my experiences of it are as following:

Me: "What city is this?"

Eveybody in the current zone: "HAHAHA!!!!!!! N00b!!!1"

I played until lv. 7 I think, then I gave it to my friend only to be told a half a year later that he forgot the PIN when he got home. Astonishing, and it also puts the intelligence needed from mapleboys (this nickname is not a compliment) to a certain measure.

Despite my personal hate to Runescape, I must admit that it's better then this game where the person that presses 'x' more times and occasionaly 'z' has a higher level.

Randon person says: "Ok guys, now that we've finished lets go have some ice cream."

• beaverzbeaverz Member Posts: 660

Please dont talk about good graphics when talking about maple story or runescape, for runescape you can say that it has better graphics than tetris and for maple story that they are """cute""".

Both these games are a bit outdated, dont know much about runescape, but i know that the reason why so many ppl play maple is that its quite addctive.

I'm not a no life that sits in front of his computer all day long, I'm an intern that sits in front of his computer all day long.

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

Oh LawLz

Ok so here’s the deal.

Maplestory is a sidescroller MMO that can also be played in the comfort of your sofa with a good Gamepad in your hands and such. It’s action and twitch oriented and the amount of things you can do in this game is pretty insane but it’s no walk in the part. The grapics are not 3D but good old school pixel. They are superior to what Super Nintendo had but obviously, they do not compare to let’s say Crysis.

Maplestory:

You grind a lot but it’s pretty fun with some friends and if you do have a sense of humour and a bit of patience, then you’ll have a blast.

The class system is pretty good but like many Korean MMO, if you screw up your template then well…. Start over!

I personaly like the music and the ambiance of this game. I don’t mind cute and childish things.

The weapons, spells, skills and other core mechanisc are well done.

Overall, Maplestory is a fun game and will likely please a younger crowd but if you want something light hearted and interesting to play, you won’t hate this one.

Now, just so you see who you’re dealing with. I’m not your little happy camper guy with a white hat, I’m the tall guy with long hair, that listens to Canibal Corpse, Decapitated, Cryptopsy with the occasional Lamb of God and Slayer. I enjoy fragging people on Quake and I’m usually into hardcore PVP.

Yet.. I enjoy taking the dog to the park with my GF, I enjoy classical music and went to the last Loreena Mckenitt show. I collect wines and love cheese and finaly, I really enjoy Maplestory.

So take it like that… Comparing 3D graphics with 2D handdrawn and sprites is like comparing a Sports car with an F-22 Raptor. Both are amazing, both are for different purposes, both can be enjoyed.

Enjoy!

• ProbablyBestProbablyBest Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by Ponico

Oh LawLz

Ok so here’s the deal.

Maplestory is a sidescroller... (continue quote)

Grind a lot. Ouch.

What sense of humour can you possibly have when people are just calling you noobs? The whole atiitude of this game is basically wrong, people don't treat you like a normal person if you are a lower level to them, and beg for stuff if you are higher than them.

Oh, and a few more disadvantges I forgot to mention:

It terribly slows down the computer; My friends had viruses on the computer, as a direct result of MS; It is terribly addicting; As you mentioned, if you mess up the skills you have to start over; Lastly, I know someone that played so much that his parents took the computer out of the house because of it. XD

In summary, MS is not such a good game. I don't mind: If you want to play, then play. Your loss, especially since there are other much better multiplayer games.

Thank you and have a good day. Without Maplestory if you please.

Randon person says: "Ok guys, now that we've finished lets go have some ice cream."

• KivotKivot Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Jordan23t

Originally posted by yiren (the ms nub) 

reasons to play MS...
    free...
    2D...
    graphic...
    friends...
    spare time ...
    i belive theres more ...

WOW, MS is very boring to me! I play Runescape much better than MS....

Why i play runescape?

free...

fun...ALOT OF QUEST

3D...

dress up ur character O.o

and fight monsters

graphics are nice!...

friends...

skills, like Woodcuting, firemaking, alot more! ...

Runescape Cons:

1. RuneScape has terrible graphics. I really don't mind that but most people do.

2. Alot of quests? There's like only 18 quests for free members. I don't want to waste my money on this game just to do more quests.

3. Clicking for hours is fun?

4. Music is a piece of shit

5. You can't team/party.

6. Just because it's 3D it doesn't mean its better.

7. Guild system sucks.

8. Weapons look the same just diffrent color.

9. People there are 3-10 years old in free members.

10. Free world is really really small.

11. You lose all your stuff when you die.

12. Still sucks even if your a member.

13. Same thing goes for skills. All you do is click.

14. I don't think RuneScape has any raids at all.

15. No PvP.

16. Not much classes you can be. Only warriors, archers and a mage.

17. Not worth your time.

18. No mounts. :(

19. Skills don't look interesting.

MapleStory cons:

1. No PvP also.

2. A grindfest

3. 2D. Like I said I don't mind that but some people do.

4. You will get relationships with people you don't know. (They might be the same gender as you and act like their not or might even be fat! xD)

5. Most people say Nexon only cares about the money people spend on Nexon cash. (Not sure if it is true)

6. Once you get to level 15 or 20, you'll be addicted. (Idk if this really is a con but w/e because it's so fun.)

--------------------------------------------------------

This is all I can think of right now. But anyways, MapleStory beats RuneScape. Don't say I don't know what I'm talking about because I do. I have a level 75 Chief Bandit and a level 63 on RuneScape. (Sorry for bragging) I have to admit, MapleStory is a pretty fun F2P game. You guys just didn't give it a chance.

I give MapleStory: 7/10

RuneScape: 2/10 

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

Well I have played both Maplestory and Runescape. Both are free by the way. You really can't compare the two based solely on graphics. Each as its own merits and shortcommings. One thing I do prefer about Maplestory over Runescape is that MapleStory in my opinion has a much more liberal atmosphere. Players in MapleStory will just mess around and even say some innappropriate stuff which I usually find quite funny and silly. Runescape on the other hand is a bit more uptight. You can usually get away with saying just about anything on Maplestory as long as you aren't consistently harrassing or insulting someone. Runescape is very conservative, you can get reported for just about anything. Saying "google" is also a reportable offense on runescape. MapleStory may be 2D and runescape 3D but I feel maplestory's graphics are a bit cleaner and the combat looks better. However, runescape has much more to do than maplestory. In runescape you have at least 25 different skills not to mention over 200 quests. I have also found runescape's quests to be more interactive and fun than maplestory's. As for the player communities, both games have their share of idiots and jerks but in general I feel that Maplestory has a more liberal community than runescape does and that is why I prefer Maplestory's community overall. Even though I have actually made more friends through runescape.

Also, maplestory's community is a bit closer since there are seperate isolated servers and the function of guild and parties. Runescape has open worlds and the community is overall more divided. But both have their pros and cons. Both can be addicting.  

• KivotKivot Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by Matt269

In runescape you have at least 25 different skills not to mention over 200 quests.

If your a member(You have to pay).  But you're right, RuneScape has fun quests puzzles, bosses and probably alot more. MapleStory's quests are a bit boring. But there's Party quests which is raiding pretty much.

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124

In my opinion however, runescape is overall a better deal if you plan on spending money. Maplestory is way overpriced in terms of what you can buy and for what price. However, at a point it almost becomes necessary to spend money on nx, when you see every other player with nx, not to mention the ease of buying/selling items when you have nx or the 2x experience you could get.

Runescape is only $5 a month, $6 in August, but maplestory is like $10-$20 for each nx card and you only get so much with 10,000 - 20,000 nx.

By the way runescape does have raids only they are much different from maplestory's. Raids are usually organized by individual clans on runescape. While they aren't official like in maplestory they can still be quite fun.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

Why chose either Runescape or Maple when you have tons of other good free MMO's. Or just suck it up and buy one.

• speedbreakerspeedbreaker Member Posts: 10

I dont like either of them that much but i must say that i think maplestory is so much better then runescape. In like always there is ^^.

MapleStory