Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks Like Flagship Studios is Closing

2»

Comments

• BlueCadwalBlueCadwal Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by JustBe

Why does this game have it's own forum? it's not a mmorpg and it's now closed.

I seize your "closed" argument and throw you a bone... go ask the folks at Guild Wars and Phantasy Star Universe, then report your findings.

Let it be known that I hate WoW with a passion and will defend almost any MMORPG against it.
    Current: FFXI (PC/360)
    Want: FFXIV, Stargate Worlds, Star Trek Online
    Past: AC, AoC, AO, Atlantica Online, CoH/V, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, D&DO, EVE, Everquest I+II, FlyFF, GW (all), Lineage 2, LOTRO, Mabinogi, Maplestory, PSO (DC/Xbox/PC), PSU (PC/360), PlanetSide, RO, Shadowbane, SWG (Pre-NGE), SotNW, TR, UO, Warhammer Online, WoW, WWIIO

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

As of Jul 15, the official post was:

San Francisco, CA (July 14, 2008) -- Flagship Studios has announced today that despite rumors to the contrary, the company is still operating.

“It is with deep regret that I must announce that Flagship Studios has laid off most employees. However, the core management and founding team members are still at Flagship.” said Bill Roper, CEO of Flagship Studios. “The past five years have been an incredible experience for us, but unfortunately, we couldn’t sustain the size of the company any longer.”

Flagship Studios owns the rights to all its technology and IP, including Hellgate: London and Mythos. Due to the current situation, Flagship will not be taking any new subscribers for Hellgate: London, and all current subscriptions will not be billed.

Take what you will from that.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Diablo 3 is coming out.

What investor in his right mind is going to continue funding Mythos.

• chop3593chop3593 Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

I feel really bad for the lifetime subscribers who spent $210 for a collector's copy of the game and their account.

But people should have watched out, FSS wasn't a big dev so...I'm happy I never bought Hl

• smokeyjonsmokeyjon Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by SwampRob

As of Jul 15, the official post was:
    San Francisco, CA (July 14, 2008) -- Flagship Studios has announced today that despite rumors to the contrary, the company is still operating.

“It is with deep regret that I must announce that Flagship Studios has laid off most employees. However, the core management and founding team members are still at Flagship.” said Bill Roper, CEO of Flagship Studios. “The past five years have been an incredible experience for us, but unfortunately, we couldn’t sustain the size of the company any longer.”

Flagship Studios owns the rights to all its technology and IP, including Hellgate: London and Mythos. Due to the current situation, Flagship will not be taking any new subscribers for Hellgate: London, and all current subscriptions will not be billed.

Take what you will from that.

Oops Bill - http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/08/15/flagship-coo-studio-is-officially-shut-down

Glad I played before making the decision whether or not to sub.  The game had potential but it was rushed, mismanaged, and the business model was crap.

• kaplowkaplow Member Posts: 10

I'm happy with that decision. That was retarded to release a game at the version .5 and piss off their customers by forcing them to testing their buggy shits. As a game tester, I really wanted to see Flagship Studios dying in a fire. Especially after dropping 80$ for the game on it's release.

Bye Bye Flagship Studios!

• sigamonsigamon Member Posts: 230

dead thread.... move along

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Lydon

It's always a sad day when a developer closes its doors.

Not if the developer stinks, and this game with its developer, stinks.  Advertising this game as an MMO and actually charging a monthly fee is robbery in itself.  They get no sympathy from me.  Bad business deserves this outcome.

Tecmo Bowl.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I was in the closed Beta but I never subbed.

I saw pretty clearly that the Devs were not listening to their fanbase, The majority of which were D2 vets with a very good understanding of this genre.

It's too bad because I very much wanted this game to be one I could call home.

But I saw the writing on the wall B4 this game even hit the shelves, it was doomed.

Released too early.

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84

Didn't buy the game....I was slow getting around to it.   Guess I won't now.