Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game worth buying?

PhenomenonnPhenomenonn Member Posts: 13

i just quit age of conan cause its a peice of crap, and funcoms doing a horable job is this game worth buying and playing? im looking for a new game to have fun on

Comments

• HGL isn't an mmo, so if you're looking for years worth of fresh gameplay don't expect to find it in HGL.  Think of it like Diablo 2 in 3d with lots of random item generation and random dungeon generation.  There is a subscription option which provides access to new areas, but at the moment the popular opinion is that the game is not really worth subscribing to.  Now, if you're looking for a fresh game to play with good graphics and intense/immersive gameplay that you aren't expecting to hold your attention for five hours a night for the next three years, then HGL is certainly worth checking out.  At the bare minimum, the $20 price tag is certainly worth it for the month+ of quality entertainment you will receive.  You also get to play the core game free for life, so you can still pop in and out to your heart's content for as long as the game runs without the need to pay a monthly fee.

• PhenomenonnPhenomenonn Member Posts: 13

ty for the poll posts guys, i was consitering LOTR over this and i guess LOTR won

• alienikalienik Member UncommonPosts: 16

im playing this game since beta..

i think.. progress of this game from launch is great.. if u saw patch notes for 2.0 patch.. u know devs are doing hey jobs really great.. all u have to do.. is buy game, and then just kill tons of zombies and demons :D

im never bored in this game ..

and.. LOTRO suck.. really.. game without PvP isnt game.. (HG:L will have after patch 2.1 best PvP i think)

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

I think I'd hold off for a while. 

• dknight784dknight784 Member Posts: 44

Yeah dude Hellgate:London

Is a dungeon crawler meaning you kill thousands of things and go in many random made dungeons

its sorta of MMO in a small way

But if u liked diablo 2..alot then stick with it and save up for diablo 3

if your not a dungeon crawler fan then dont buy this. but it is a decent game if your computer can run it of course.

• SundersGhostSundersGhost Member Posts: 224

It may be worth mentioning, there are some threads here stating that the producing company, Flagship Studios has shut down recently.  The purchase my be a waste of the stability of the servers is compromised due to the studio shut down, assuming the threads about shut down are accurate.  We read it on the webz tho, so it must be true.

• WebferretWebferret Member UncommonPosts: 90

Straight from http://hellgateguru.com/  true or not, I bought the game on release and I must say I feel its going backwards more than forwards. I played free for abit to see if I would like it, and then tried out subs even the newer patches, but its same ol same ol grinding mobs in same place to try adn get something that maybe 3% better than you already got. I lost interest fast and all my friends moved on faster than I did. I really wanted this game to shine. But it didnt for me.

You may like it quite a few still play though I do find the towns very sparce now and last few times I was on I hardly saw a sole running around anywhere in the game, even chat channels were very quiet.

But give it a shot, It maybe the thing your looking for or not. Anyways the below post was from a Hellgate fan site, And if thats true, I think its going to go backwards even faster.

POST FROM http://hellgateguru.com/

Flagships’s Community Manager, Taylor Balbi, has revealed to VE3D that all Ping0 and Flagship Studios staff have been made redundant. According to Taylor and the VE3D article, employees were notified at a company meeting and subsequently informed that the offices will be officially closed on Saturday. The source went on to reveal that three of the studio’s top brass dug into their own pockets to provide 30 days of pay to all employees.

As mentioned earlier, word of the studio’s closure reached HanbitSoft, leading to an early press release regarding the control over the Hellgate: London intellectual property that lead to a stern rebuttal from an official source in Flagship Studios, which, subsequently lead to a HanbitSoft lawyer posting the following sentence on our very website: “It is unfortunate that Flagship turned down additional investments HanbitSoft offered to make that would have allowed it to keep its doors open.”

As also referenced in the legal release, HanbitSoft hopes to independently continue development of Mythos, to which it owns the rights thanks to a loan agreement enacted with Flagship. Comerica now owns the Hellgate: London rights through a similar loan agreement, and will likely continue Asian development with HanbitSoft. As for English-language releases of the two games, it is possible that the Asian companies would continue development, but the fate of the US, Japanese and European version of Hellgate: London remain a mystery.

In short, Flagship’s time has run out, and all intellectual property may have been lost, all staff fired, and the studio closed. Flagship, we hardly knew ye…

Further Confirmation: A person going by the name of GLC who is claiming to be a former employee of Ping0 has made the following post on SomethingAwful to further confirm the company’s demise:

Former Ping0 employee checking in here. I feel bad for some of the talented guys on the staff who busted rear end to try and get a game out on a ridiculous schedule, but I think we all kind of saw this coming after the game came out and basically bombed. Flagship bit off way more than they could chew and made a lot of development and structural mistakes in how they went about things. They had a lot of big dreamers on staff, but not enough nitty-gritty people who knew how to get shit done. It sucks, but that’s life I guess. I didn’t always agree with the decisions of the leadership, but it doesn’t surprise me at all to hear that three of them (probably Roper and the Schaeffers) dug into their own pockets to pay people. Nothing about them, Max Schaeffer in particular, ever made me think they were less than standup guys.

I think it’s less that they aimed too high than that they tried to aim that high and do it quickly, and they didn’t do anything the easy way. They had their own server architecture, their own client, their own chat, their own graphics engine, their own everything basically. Plus they wanted a game that could support thousands of concurrent connections with no downtime, had an engaging single-player campaign, and could support an ongoing, persistent world. It was like picking everything that’s hard to do in a game, and then putting it on a brand-new company (two of them, really) with people who hadn’t worked together before.

Plus you had Ping0 doing the back-end and multiplayer, working off a forked codebase, and trying to make sure that what they were designing was open enough that it could be marketed to other companies. And then Mythos, with a team working out of Seattle under Travis Baldtree (who is a fucking genius, by the way), which had to fit into things somehow even though it wasn’t as much of a priority. It was just a really chaotic situation all around. Hopefully the talented guys I met there will bounce back quickly, it’s a lovely time to be unemployed in the bay area.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Worst case scenario:

The multi-player servers are shut down and the only thing you are left with is the single player game.  It is still well worth the $20 you will pay for it.  It wont be a mmorpg of course, but it never really was.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by dknight784

Yeah dude Hellgate:London
    Is a dungeon crawler meaning you kill thousands of things and go in many random made dungeons

its sorta of MMO in a small way

But if u liked diablo 2..alot then stick with it and save up for diablo 3

if your not a dungeon crawler fan then dont buy this. but it is a decent game if your computer can run it of course.

I guess 4 or 5 different maps counts as "many". lol

Company took a dive anyway, so enjoy the coaster after you beat the singleplayer ( which don't take long ).

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Well, that's just it.  The SP game, which nearly never gets anything added to it despite what they said at the beginning, isn't really worth it.  Without content being added, albeit very, very slowly, and all the things that still ail the game not being addressed anymore, it's not worth even the $20.  The random maps are certainly not very different from each other to even think about them.  Once you beat the game, which is relatively quick and easy, you'll never again have that feeling that says, "gee.  I've never seen this before!".  The only reason I subbed last month was for the new content and to see if the fixes they made and previously promised features were worth the price of a sub since I already owned the game.  I have to say, it was getting there.  Err... but now it probably won't.   

I wonder if someone nice person will add all the new stuff to the live servers (wonder how long they'll last?) before they turn off the lights for the last time.  What would be even better is if they put all the content and fixes made to date on the SP game.  Then maybe some people who bought thegame won't feel so ripped off.  I can't help thinking that most of the founders will always feel ripped off, though.

• deadplayerdeadplayer Member Posts: 102

Hellgate is a MMOFPS, and made  me  vertigo when i fist played.

A bad game, IMO!

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

God knows what is going to happen with the subscribers.  If you look on this site you will see the latest article about the subscribers not being charged.

I just bought the game last week and subscribed to 3 months.

The game is fun.  Its a "shut out the lights" jump out of your chair type game.  Worthy of its name.

It's worth its current price.

GlassEye