Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning: Mark Jacobs Interview Part Two

Comments

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Sortran

Though this news is sad, I tend to think that they cities were not up to what they wanted, and may be same way for the players. As for the class cuts these will hurt as alot of people wanted to play those 4 classes. One thing for certain that i am glad to see, is Mythic dumping EA. EA has done very little in terms of being a good publisher and their methods tend to annoy alot of gamers due to the fact they force companies to put products out for a quick buck.
    I think that mythic will add the cities and lost classes down the road when they believe they have them ready, and I know most of the players will miss both cities and classes until that time. Maybe, just maybe we will get a quality product instead of a shoddy crappy MMO which seems to be the main drive these days.

Where have we heard all this before... "oh it will not make launch, but will be added later"

I am so sick off mmos today!

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Originally posted by Draccan

Dammit ....all the stuff I thought Mythic would never do!!

Why not just postpone and deliver as promised. Cutting these classes MAKES NO SENSE.

First of all Choppas - there are no ORCS now, only 2 gobbos and a black orc for WARHAMMER?

And no Knight of the Burning Sun = no empire knights??? You have Witch Hunters but no knights of the empire???

This makes no sense. And cutting down to two cities?? Why is that?

You are starting to go the Funcom route. And if this news stands I am going to skip WAR all together!!!

I spent all this time defending WAR and Mythic for year. Now I feel like a sucker.

/I am out till they take this back - if this is the route for WAR then I am out. Delay rather than cut content.

Draccan

p.s. why are all MMO companies the same!?!?!?!?

*hugely dissappointed face* :mad:

No, if they were going the Funcom route, they'd ship the game with all that broken and unfinished content and try to fix it post launch while never owning up to the fact they didn't deliver what they said they were going to deliver. Mythic took the smart route and came forward with what they felt they could deliver in a great, polished form and took the stuff that they felt didn't work, shelved it and (hopefully) will implement it later when they feel it meets their standards of quality and fun.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't with you, eh? I suggest you play what's shipped before delivering epic QQ'ing. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

First of all Punkbuster - Great idea, I have always been a fan of punkbuster and have always supported it in other online games, it's about the best option you can have for cheat protection and has the option of hardware bans as well as IP bans.  Nothing will ever be perfect but punkbuster is as close as you can come to keeping up with the latest hacks etc so good on them for this one.

Cities - I have always thought that to have 2 large capital cities is better than having multiple cities anyway.  This turns the battles for those cities even MORE epic is scale and importance.  Fully support this decision.

Classes - Disappointing, but a very mature decision by Mythic to do this and announce it at this stage.  Shows they are in it for the long term and continue their degree of honesty with the potential fanbase.  As much as we may not want to hear it, I would prefer they did this now than throw the classes in half done like some other recent games we could mention.

-In summary they made the mature and correct decision, and props to them for announcing this now to the public and explaining their reasons.  Whatever backlash they receive because of this, would be nothing compared to the problems and bad press that would occur had they not done this and left unfinished classes and cities in at release.

• mechermecher Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by Sortran

Though this news is sad, I tend to think that they cities were not up to what they wanted, and may be same way for the players. As for the class cuts these will hurt as alot of people wanted to play those 4 classes. One thing for certain that i am glad to see, is Mythic dumping EA. EA has done very little in terms of being a good publisher and their methods tend to annoy alot of gamers due to the fact they force companies to put products out for a quick buck.
    I think that mythic will add the cities and lost classes down the road when they believe they have them ready, and I know most of the players will miss both cities and classes until that time. Maybe, just maybe we will get a quality product instead of a shoddy crappy MMO which seems to be the main drive these days.

Where have we heard all this before... "oh it will not make launch, but will be added later"

I am so sick off mmos today!

So by your logic no game or even program will ever be released. If a developer wait to have everything they wanted in a program before release would now just be getting the first everquest. A program is like any other product, you can't work on it forever to you think it's perfect.

It seems there are some big idiots. 4 captial cities cut means just that, they were cut. Not the realm they were connected to. There is still plenty to do, and the cap cities is NOT the only siege content. There are keeps too. A city isn't suppose to be sieged for a few months anyway in the game.

If your sick of this Draccen just kill yourself now. It's happens in every product area. Just more noticed in the programming world.

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Cities doesnt bother me.

Classes I'm abit pissed off about - mainly because its 2 tank and 2 dps ones, meaning the 2 forms of melee classes. Yet casters are happy as larry, which is abit of a pissabout considering I'm not a caster person at all. Therefore giving less choice to melee fans. But if its a decision that will help the overall game

But Punkbuster is the main issue. I cannot stand that "software", it does nothing but hinder those who genuinly want to play the game. I mean the damn thing now decides it wants to run in the background 24/7 whether your on a game or not.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

What saddens me the most in all of this is that the "feel" will be gone. It's really going to be a war between Chaos and Empire, with the rest of the races on the sideline.

• HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

Good point. Does Vanguard have their Inquistor and Berserker yet???

Do we know of any games that removed professions, promising them at a later date and really did add them in?

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
    http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

WOW!!!! what a let down all this time and you guys decide to ditch four cities and four classes?

I personally would rather you push the game to mid 2009.

I can see it now, i'm a greenskin fighting through all the Dwarf/skin tiers to finally be rewarded with the Human city to sack? wtf

I've been following WAR for so long..... maybe i'll sub sometime in 2010 when four cities and four classes make it back in.

Till then i'll be playing Eve and maybe WotLK

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• fishytoothyfishytoothy Member UncommonPosts: 40

No orcs in a warhammer game. What the hell are they thinking? I don't even care about the classes themselves being gone so much as what thier removal means in terms of the IP. The cities though, that sucks--I don't even understand how they can cut 4 cities out when the whole point of the game is fighting over those cities. They might as well cut all the races other than chaos and empire. Extremely disheartening news, even the biggest fans now are questioning whether to get this game.

• Cotillion99Cotillion99 Member UncommonPosts: 251

Hear that sound?... Its the sound of thousands of WOTLK being pre-ordered because people know WAR isn't shaping up to be what they thought.

Sure WAR isn't going to have everything i want right away and that does disappoint me.  It disappoints me because i expected more from Mythic.  However, I still think the game is going to be damn fun.  They still have done a better job of getting things they wanted into the game then most other companies.  It's not like they started the game without any form of meaningful pvp or talked about having Hero Classes and then never did anything about it.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by fishytoothy

No orcs in a warhammer game. What the hell are they thinking? I don't even care about the classes themselves being gone so much as what thier removal means in terms of the IP. The cities though, that sucks--I don't even understand how they can cut 4 cities out when the whole point of the game is fighting over those cities. They might as well cut all the races other than chaos and empire. Extremely disheartening news, even the biggest fans now are questioning whether to get this game.

think about this GW was informed about this.......they have been breathing over the shoulder of Mythic the entire time (not a bad thing but i couldn't think of another "example")  GW understands this and why this will be good for the game...sure i am pissed like everyone else, but overall this WAS A GOOD MOVE and the game will benefit and there are still TONS of classes and now we just get another expansion or patch to add MORE content which, sure was going to be at launch, but now think about it walking through the greenskin and highelf cities for the first time with everyone going " OMG this is SWEET"

i am keeping my pre-order and will still enjoy this game even with my order class (KoTBS) cut...

Originally posted by Hathi

Do we know of any games that removed professions, promising them at a later date and really did add them in?

Exactly!!

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

For those who say you'd rather they delay the game than release without the cities and classes, here's what you do:

Stop whining.  Pretend they are taking your advice.  Don't buy the game when it is released.  If they have added the cities and classes by next summer, buy the game then.

(Actually, you'll probably be back in this same position by then either way, falling in love with games that don't exist yet and hating everything that is actually real.  But to each his own.)

• justinopejustinope Member Posts: 46

sup funcom

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494
    Originally posted by Hexxeity

For those who say you'd rather they delay the game than release without the cities and classes, here's what you do:
    Stop whining.  Pretend they are taking your advice.  Don't buy the game when it is released.  If they have added the cities and classes by next summer, buy the game then.
    (Actually, you'll probably be back in this same position by then either way, falling in love with games that don't exist yet and hating everything that is actually real.  But to each his own.)

What is your advice for when they have to spend the first 6-8 months fixing bugs and balancing the content before they can even start to add this stuff back in, and then what if they think they can add this as an expansion and charge for it??

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

PUNKBUSTER     No way in hell installing that on my PC.

• MadGonzoMadGonzo Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by haltea

what a sick joke,  cutting out 2/3 of content from the game, i dont care anymore when this crap is released, another fail...

oh shut up

there are only 2 failures:

1. you

2. a company that keeps everything under NDA until the very last day

if you played AoC you probably felt ripped off and lied to, well thats what happened

i dont see it here, do you?

and what about "will come later" (for the capitals) and "might come later" (for the classes) dont you understand?

i cant believe you actually posted that shit

unrelated,

as for punkbuster.. i cant say im pleased to hear about it

then again WoW has a one silently running.. you just dont hear about it

and they will probably do more server-side than client-side..

so waiting eagerly for the game ;)

i just hope the animations are great for a 2008 MMO.. they really do make a difference imo

• RedmowRedmow Member Posts: 196

Well, I am saddened by the news. But, my White Lion is still in there.

I don't know what to think right now. First thing that hit me was 'here we go again'...just like all the other games out there that turn out to be a disappointment.

But, at least they were honest and told us up front. I can respect that. I will prolly still get the game upon release...unless more bad news hits us. Then I will wait. Depressing.

Originally posted by Hathi

Did vanguard have the backing of a company like EA? lol no it had SOE, yea great company to be backed by. And was vanguard as popular as WAR is? Nope. So you fail.

Look at what they plan for the cities, they plan on fixing any problems found with the current cities and put them in the ones not in yet. So we will just get better and better cities. God so much fucking whining these days. No wonder emo music is so popular.

• kegtapkegtap Member Posts: 261

Ouch so the only good news is that we can't cheat?

2 cities could be a bad thing. Thats one of the things I hated about EQ2. Also performance sucked in cities with half the server in one zone.

Still looking forward to the game and I am glad they will not put something broken into the game. That would be much worse then dropping something but at the same I am disappointed by the news. 

I can feel your anger. This game is defenseless. Take your weapon. Strike this game down with all of your hatred, and your journey towards towards the Dark Side will be complete.

• GrömGröm Member Posts: 303

Thanks Mythic. Seriously, thank you. If they think it's not fun, not good enough, rich and fabulous then don't put them at launch. I don't care about people who whines about "Meh, not my fav char and city then I won't play, *buh buh... snoty nose* ".

I'm really glad they made this hard decision in the name of good and fair play.

And I thank them again for being honest to us.

Cheers to Mythic!!!

blah this cutting content is retarded

i already beta'ed the Choppa.. give us what is promised.. this is silly

FINISH THE GAME ... THEN RELEASE

blah this cutting content is retarded
    i already beta'ed the Choppa.. give us what is promised.. this is silly

FINISH THE GAME ... THEN RELEASE

Why? Also a program is never finished. Especially a MMO. Cutting content is not retarded. If you think so, stop using any electronic device now. Since every program as something cut from it in development.

Oh and any if they complain about PB still be on when not playing a game. DISABLE IT. Not hard. Not to mention who cares if it's running? Not like it's a virus scanning actually taking up a good amount of resources.

You = /wrist.

• HivesHives Member UncommonPosts: 203

Well... I haven't tested/played the game so I don't know what I'm missing or gaining from this cut but I'll save my judgement till I play beta. Punkbuster is a good decision.

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    Originally posted by ShrubHead

It's amazing that as gamers for the last decade we've been fed nothing but low quality games with a few gems mixed in with the slop. And as soon as someone starts doing something for quality control some of us start to cry fowl.
    If anything this interview makes me respect Mythic -and- EA.
    Mythic for having standards and realizing that some content wasn't ready or up to said bar.
    EA for what seems to be a genuine attempt at pulling their heads out of their collective arse, though that could quickly change.
    For now I'll stick with their words and wait patiently for the NDA to be lifted; If they don't pull a Funcom that is.

Did they say not to long ago that they just needed to polish things up a bit and the game state was amazing and awesome?