Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another Question: Laptops

For I begin, Id like to thank everybody who took the time to research or respond to my previous questions about video cards and other things, youve been a big help.

Now, I have since scrapped the idea of taking my PC to school and buying a PDA to take notes with, and instead am just going to buy a laptop and leave my pc for my family to use. Anyone see anything wrong with this for gaming purposes?

I am currently looking for Laptops priced at around ~1500$ or so, less than 2k for certain. I would like it to be viable for most gaming(eq2 specs is not considered most image) and especially WoW and other current games. Does anyone have any suggestions on good deals? Please dont say: Gateway/Dell/HP has good deals!  cause ive looked at all the major sites in general, I mean in specific if youve bought good laptops before.

Another thing Im worried about is the ability to update the laptop with new hardware. Id like to be able to upgrade its RAM, and possibly video card at some point. The current system Im looking at has 512mb ram and a raedon9600 mobility. Which I believe is pretty acceptable.

About the screen size. A LCD 15.4", how horrible is it going to be to play vid games on this thing? Anyone have experience with this?

The last thing im concerned about is the ability to transfer large amounts(10-30gb) of files from the harddrive of my old PC to my laptop. How would I accomplish this? Are the harddrives in a laptop the same as a desktop? Can I remove the harddrive in the laptop, connect it as a slave to my PC and transfer files using the PC? Is there another way to connect them?

Any other suggestions or advice regarding gaming and laptops?

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Almost all laptops can have their ram easily upgraded and hard drive fairly easily. Updating video card usually CANT be done, though some of the newest laptops do have video cards modular so you can swap them. If you get a laptop that has atleast an ATI 9600 chip it should be a decent game performer. Just remember that gaming laptops are also heavy laptops.

As for screen size, for gaming purposes dont get a laptop with a WIDE screen. Make sure its a 4:3 aspect ratio. LCDs can interpolate to lower resolutions usually quite well. Ive got a lapto that does 1400*1050 native resolution, but I can set it to 1024*768 and it still looks great.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2, MU Online

• AlistairAlistair Member UncommonPosts: 318

check ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com for laptop specs...I just ordered an Atlon 64 3200+/1 GB PC 3200 RAM/9700 pro 128MB video card system with 15.4" widescreen for $1600 after shipping...yes, I did forego extra software, and I'm buying it with a pre-formatted 40GB HDD, but for the price it'll kick complete ass. The deals are great, and you can go with an AMD or Intel setup...but until later this fall, you can't beat the setups provided.

AHH! Run away from the monster! He's going to eat us!

Socializer 80% Explorer 73% Achiever 33% Killer 13%

Killer 100% Socializer 40% Explorer 33% Achiever 27%

• Amd64_FX_53Amd64_FX_53 Member Posts: 421

laptops arent really for gaming....Just get a new pc if u wanta waste money.

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://eq2imperium.proboards15.com/index.cgi

Imperium Acranum rapped me

• el_Slackoel_Slacko Member Posts: 310

How are the deals at www.powernotebooks.com ? They seem to have quite good computers.

Also, are the Centrino type processors (Pentium M) better than normal Pentium processors for normal and gaming use? I read that their lower GHz is because of a new architecture that allows from 1.7-2.0 times as much actual power.

1.intel sucks

2.laptops arent for gaming!!

1. Looks at his "Gaming" PC

2. Looks at the "Non-gaming" Laptop

3. Thinks the laptop could kick his PC's ass

4. Buys the laptop   image

Whoever posted the 2 links to www.ibuypower.com and www.cyberpowersystem.com deserves a cookie image Great deals there! Didnt even know there was a Mobility AMD64 chip yet. Blows meh mind. Also, doesnt the customization page for those 2 sites look awwwwfully similar? image  Heh, wouldnt be surprised if it was the same parent company playing off each other to get multiple audiances.

dude, laptops are really bad at gaming.IF ur gaming u could buy i good gaming computer for that money..

I dont NEED a PC. Im going to college, I need to be able to take it around to take notes on it as well. But if I could get one thatll work for both gaming AND school, Id save my familiy from buying another PC to replace the one I took to school, and also save the money I woulda spent on a PDA to take notes on.

Sides, I can play MMOGs at the park with the wireless internet image

Oh, and they arent "really bad at gaming". The ones im looking at is as good as most gaming PCs, so I dont see how it couldnt be as good.

• ElernetElernet Member Posts: 68
    www.pricewatch.com