Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wondering about DnL

agentcipheragentcipher Member Posts: 223

Hey everybody. I've been hanging around in seperate forums on this site for a while and I've heard some stuff about DnL, but when I went investigating around their website and such there doesn't appear to be a lot of info about the game. I was wondering why you either like the game or not, and what reasons you have for liking it. Plus, if you could hit me up with any links or any information about the game, that'd be much appreciated too. I'm just wondering why the hype for this game is so large and I'd like to know more about it. Thanks!

---------------------------

---------------------------

free ipods

Proof it's not a scam

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Well the main website is at http://www.darkandlight.com and over on the left side is a Faq section with good info about the game.

"I was wondering why you either like the game or not, and what reasons you have for liking it"

I like the game because it has the possibility of becoming a DAoC 2.0. Bigger and better in all respects. While DAoC wasnt the perfect game, it had some great concepts (like realm vs realm). DnL is going to sieze upon that idea but make it vastly bigger. Much much bigger. 40,000 square kilometers bigger. That just puts a big smile on my face ::::02::

You can also go to this site here http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/532/532239p1.html for some info, screenshots, and links (scroll down) to two interviews for some more info.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2, MU Online

• MatthiasaMatthiasa Member Posts: 24

Originally posted by agentcipher
    I was wondering why you either like the game or not, and what reasons you have for liking it. Plus, if you could hit me up with any links or any information about the game, that'd be much appreciated too. I'm just wondering why the hype for this game is so large and I'd like to know more about it. Thanks!

I have been following this game because of the information that I have read it seems to be the most innovative mmorpg that is going too released for the next few years... It also has one of the best communities of any the mmorpg.

Most of the developer interviews can be found by going to the various links found here.

The public dev chats can be found here.

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

I don't know about any links, but...

I like this game, or at least the idea of it, because it's different and it's advanced and innovative.  It has one huge world as opposed to servers, which is just plain cool.  It has crazy little touches like Snowboarding (ie, on your shield) parachuting, riding dragons to your destination and a playable faerie race.  It's got social XP, not just fighting XP and features active tradeskills and realistically paced combat... it shows all the signs of a good game...

I, honestly, don't see the reason for the hype surrounding Everquest II, The Matrix Online or World of Warcraft.  None of these games have given any compelling reason that they won't be EQ clones, riddled with the same problems and involving the same repetitive playstyles and pitfalls.  They haven't given us much that sounds fun... to me, snowshielding, wandering around 40K sq mi and talking to faeries is a fun new experience...

If I was interested in EQ with updated graphics, I would go for one of the games that are recieving big hype now... but personally, I don't feel they deserve it... I think DnL does, and that, if justice is done, they'll need to add some new servers to their farm and continents to their world soon... (60K sq mi, anyone?)

----------------------------
    City of Heroes Fanboy
    Future Game Designer
    All-around bad mutha-shutchomouf

The Illusion of Choice

• Phear-MePhear-Me Member Posts: 24

This is the game I have been waiting for the most. I just hope it doesn't disappoint in retail.

It looks a lot like DAoC. I hope they never release a ToA expansion though ::::02::

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

Originally posted by Hype
    I don't know about any links, but...
    I like this game, or at least the idea of it, because it's different and it's advanced and innovative. It has one huge world as opposed to servers, which is just plain cool. It has crazy little touches like Snowboarding (ie, on your shield) parachuting, riding dragons to your destination and a playable faerie race. It's got social XP, not just fighting XP and features active tradeskills and realistically paced combat... it shows all the signs of a good game...
    I, honestly, don't see the reason for the hype surrounding Everquest II, The Matrix Online or World of Warcraft. None of these games have given any compelling reason that they won't be EQ clones, riddled with the same problems and involving the same repetitive playstyles and pitfalls. They haven't given us much that sounds fun... to me, snowshielding, wandering around 40K sq mi and talking to faeries is a fun new experience...
    If I was interested in EQ with updated graphics, I would go for one of the games that are recieving big hype now... but personally, I don't feel they deserve it... I think DnL does, and that, if justice is done, they'll need to add some new servers to their farm and continents to their world soon... (60K sq mi, anyone?)----------------------------
    City of Heroes Fanboy
    Future Game Designer

I also heard somewhere tha the devs said there will be little islands that people have to find themselves through boats/dragons. Sounds like a game for the exploreres and RPers also. ::::19::

You could play as an indian or human

• HypeHype Member CommonPosts: 270

Hmmm... apparently Xzaro is to DnL as Hype is to CoH...

What kind of RP tools have they talked about? Can I carry my friends? Hug them? Sit and slouch in a chair? More complicated/stat-based/diverse interactions?

City of Heroes Fanboy
    Future Game Designer

The Illusion of Choice

What kind of RP tools have they talked about? Can I carry my friends? Hug them? Sit and slouch in a chair? More complicated/stat-based/diverse interactions?----------------------------
    City of Heroes Fanboy
    Future Game Designer

I am not a DnL Dev. Lol.

DnL isn't even out yet. CoH is.

• FraekFraek Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Xzaro

What kind of RP tools have they talked about? Can I carry my friends? Hug them? Sit and slouch in a chair? More complicated/stat-based/diverse interactions?

City of Heroes Fanboy
    Future Game Designer

I am not a DnL Dev. Lol.

DnL isn't even out yet. CoH is.

One RP-tool is that you can put custom logos on your clothing, so that your guild can create a special sign that all  in the guild must wear.  It also seems that it will be possible  to create your own little villages (beware if the opposite algned forces though), and poliics and trading seems to be an important factor.

As for why I like the game (other than the points stated above)...  ...erm, well it's so many things!  The plot (read the Ganheptameron if you have time), the high amount of role-players (a lot of people in the Role-Playing forum at least), the many ways of transportation (dodo, balloon, dragon, ship, shield, horse, bantha-like animal...), the large and completely zone-less world, pretty good PvP (better than in most MMORPGs anyhow), the many islands and mountains to discover, a living community, and the weather is simply amazing.  There are more things though.  Head over to http://www.dnl.net and check out the forums and you should find some more info.  Also, don't forget to download the Two Degrees client from http://www.darkandlight.com and download the videos (search for "DnL" and "Dark Light") and don't miss out on the screenshots!

Happy previewing, and good luck getting into Beta!

• PhaineinPhainein Member UncommonPosts: 24

I fairly much agree with Fraek. I only really stumbled on DnL a few weeks ago. I have already created an EQ 2 guild and was all set to play it.  EQ was my first MMORPG and it took my breath away, but there are alot of things coming out in EQ 2 that I don't like.

I think what has attracted me most about DnL is that exploration will be such a big factor. There is so much land to see! Many MMORPG seem obsessed with packing a ton of content into a minimal amount of space (I.E. EQ 2's instancing) instead of giving people more places to GOOOOOOOO. The world is a big place, and an online play world should feel that way, too. Most of them don't.

I also really liked that they built it firmly on tried-and-true RPG systems and haven't jumped on the manimal player-race train like EQ 2 and other games are doing. They use familiar humanoid-based races. I also have become attracted to PvP lately, so when EQ 2's PR announced they were completely disregarding PvP for EQ 2, I was really let down. I am not sure how detailed a physics engine DnL employs, but it's not really needed to roleplay. If you've ever really had an RP session, you roleplay using nothing more than your imagination and a set of dice and/or cards. This gives you a world to walk around in and thousands to tens of thousands of people to interact with, fight with, become friends with, and develop intricate political and social sitations with or against. I think that's why it will draw a more mature crowd than most games do... kids like to hack n slash, while older people tend to enjoy more intricate and political challenges (this is a big generalization within my gaming experience). DnL offers both, instead of just hack n slash like many games focus on.

Well... I guess i'm in the minority. I am a kid and I hate hack 'n slashes (well, probably not to the point of hate yet, but close enough). ::::31::