Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you made enemies?

VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

I have never had enemies before. I've made two enemies when I decided to speak my mind on a forum relating to an MMO I play. Ironic, because for the longest in my life I've been the shy and quiet one, and when I finally get an attitude I get these critters on my back.

Anyway, anyone else have the same experience? Do you have enemies only online, in MMOs? How do you handle it? Does it bother you? Any advice?

Comments

• krytenkryten Member Posts: 131

gratz! you are officialy a mmo player! you really cant say that you are a hardcore gamer untill you have a few enemies.  i rather enjoy it.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

lol yeah.

I got more enemies from this MMO forum than Brad Pitt has fans. You'll get used to it.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

hoho yeah. Yesterday I kept walking through someone's camp in Everquest-not intentionally, and he started the twattish pms. Good old ignore feature..

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Enigma

lol yeah.
    I got more enemies from this MMO forum than Brad Pitt has fans. You'll get used to it.

Skroo Joo Enigma! Scroooo Jooo!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• vajurasvajuras Member Posts: 2,860

only MMO I seemed to have countless enemies was WoW. I guess because I was too naive back then to post on alts like I do now on official forums for games I play (in this case EVE now).

I remember back then I liked my shaman and there was a dwarf talking smack how we should get nerfed (back when shaman PWNED btw pre-TBC). anyway I see that guy ingame at that same moment right after he post. Man I must've camped that guy forever it felt so good

Enemies are good for MMOs with pvp. PVE only MMO um, ninja loot them?

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

I've made a number of enemies, mainly due to the fact that I always call them out on their BS. I simply cannot handle people who are usually purposelly closed minded and make up ridiculous excuses to try and support their point of view, but fail to acknowledge or outright deny other factors that paint a bigger picture (yes, most of my enemies I've made during political debates.)

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540
    Originally posted by Bane82

I've made a number of enemies, mainly due to the fact that I always call them out on their BS. I simply cannot handle people who are usually purposelly closed minded and make up ridiculous excuses to try and support their point of view, but fail to acknowledge or outright deny other factors that paint a bigger picture (yes, most of my enemies I've made during political debates.)

Your like a broken record Bane82. A point of view...is a point a view. People get those from experiances they have. All my point of views are created from exactly that. Just because you find my POV's ridiculous doesnt stop me having that same POV.

Its a free world and I live in a free country. If I wanna say something I will regardless if you or anyone else agrees. Its my POV!

Add me to your list :P

(edit) I do acknowledge bigger pictures and factors. I made a couple of posts and you've done exactly what i did. STEREO TYPE  someone. Pot painting the kettle black.

• Bane82Bane82 Member UncommonPosts: 1,242

Originally posted by blondeh
    Originally posted by Bane82 I've made a number of enemies, mainly due to the fact that I always call them out on their BS. I simply cannot handle people who are usually purposelly closed minded and make up ridiculous excuses to try and support their point of view, but fail to acknowledge or outright deny other factors that paint a bigger picture (yes, most of my enemies I've made during political debates.)

Your like a broken record Bane82. A point of view...is a point a view. People get those from experiances they have. All my point of views are created from exactly that. Just because you find my POV's ridiculous doesnt stop me having that same POV.
    Its a free world and I live in a free country. If I wanna say something I will regardless if you or anyone else agrees. Its my POV!
    Add me to your list :P

I repeat a quote ONCE and all of a sudden I'm a broken record? Jeezus christ! and if you're stalking me, stop it!
    Also, there's a big difference between making an honest opinion, and making ridiculous gross generalizations about a group of people, that's not an opinion, that's just plain ignorant. But I won't go into any further detail since you've already been slammed enough for your dumb comments already and not just by me I might add.

• blondehblondeh Member UncommonPosts: 540

I hardly got slammed. You and one other person commented on my comments.

I made my generalisation from 99.9% of the players Ive played wow with.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Back in the heyday of EverQuest I made a few enemies. They all came from guilds my guild was fighting at the time, but a lot of the crap became personal. Even had one donkey, the leader of our rival guild, go so far as to send me a tell in which he told me if he ever saw me in the street he would beat my ass in a back alley...

Not really sure where he was going with that...

But you get the picture.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GirlstyleGirlstyle Member Posts: 1

i have no enemies in games...because i don't like PK...or i don't care what others say- -?  i like peace  lol 

• EcranomicalEcranomical Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Girlstyle

i have no enemies in games...because i don't like PK...or i don't care what others say- -?  i like peace  lol 

But sometimes you don't have a choice.

I kind of like it when I have enimies, makes things interesting - but they usually last anywhere between a week and a month.

Mind games are the best.

• UpskirtPowerUpskirtPower Member Posts: 230

long story to short...... when i first start playing mmos.... i experienced millions of rude and crappy behavior players. later on decided not to socialize in-game but doesnt mean i like to play solo..... i do love activities and competition with others. like inviting random people or doing raid boss and pvp.... i just dont talk. i believe that socializing will sucked in those rude players.... therefore i dont socialize in-game. i even sacrifice those friendly players..... many friendly players greet me yet i ignore. i had to.... if im gonna cut out crappy players...... i must completely cut out everything even if its friendly intention.

.......however i believed wrong. even if i dont socialize i still get crappy players and encounter several. in this one game someone accuse me of botting jus cause i dont speak and jus cause i won a race. he threated to report me. in another game someone ask me something and i completely ignore.... he threat to pk me and he did jus caus ei didnt answer.

speak or no speak.... will still wont get rid of crappy players. you will have enemies even if you just sitting around.

i made a mistake of introducing my relative to a mmo. i afraid he cant take online idiots words of mouth. as he never really speak in real life too.  i hope hes not sensitive to online idiots.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,168

LMAO, been there, done that. I got no advice, no it don't bother me.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

::claps::  Woohoo!  Congrats! 

Yes...you're officially a board warrior.   Welcome to the club!

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I am certain there are a lot of people online that do not like me, be it here or otherwise.

Some might even consider me their enemy.

But I do not think there is any person online I consider an "enemy".

I do not even think I have anyone in RL that I do consider that, yet again I am certain the opposite is true.

I am brutally honest, have a fairly quick wit and are very well read on many topics, which pretty much always means you will have people who hate you, just because they can not find a way to battle you if they have opposing thoughts.

And those that have the ability to argue, and argue well, I do not hate but rather embrace because there is always something to be learned, and none teach you better then the people who oppose you.

I am fairly certain that the people on this board I have argued with most are almost all of them people I would find great enjoyment in encountering in real life over a beer or two.

Discounting the really racist and the really hardcore religious people, ( no Eni, I do not mean you, id love to have a beer with you ), who are more into preaching their faith and political views then arguing them.

And I do not even consider them my enemies, i just do not see how we can have anything to talk about.

As a conclusion, it is ok to make people have you as an enemy as long as you do not do the same, because the ability to realize we are all different and accept that makes you "full of win".. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by Violette

I have never had enemies before. I've made two enemies when I decided to speak my mind on a forum relating to an MMO I play. Ironic, because for the longest in my life I've been the shy and quiet one, and when I finally get an attitude I get these critters on my back.
    Anyway, anyone else have the same experience? Do you have enemies only online, in MMOs? How do you handle it? Does it bother you? Any advice?

Best advice is to ignore them.  Let it roll down your back because it doesn't really mean a thing to you and probably doesn't say a thing about you.

The time that I had the most "enemies" was probably back in old EQ.  I ran around with a mighty popular little woman, and a lot of guys were jealous and they all referred to her as "their's".  You want to talk about some mental, strange, and poessessive behavior.. wooo boy, some of them took the cake.

I had guys training me and trying to make it look like I tried to kill their character, I had guys start arguments with me in open /say in front of her to try to make me look like the bad guy, some guys stalked me in an attempt to find where she would be in game, and so on and so forth.  I could go down a whole laundry list of weird, strange @#$! shyte that I had to put up with (or had to do to avoid the mental nonsense).

Freak'n weirdos.  The whole lot of them.

Interesting times, those.

In the end it doesn't matter.  Just enjoy yourself.

• DT-DyneDT-Dyne Member UncommonPosts: 38

I'm just curious, what do you consider an "enemy"?

I briefly skimmed some of the thread and I noticed the majority of the situations seem to be of trivial matters. A fair amount of these experiences are blatant idiocy by the ill-mannered and bored - which is just very common in MMO's. I suppose they could of been lacking in detail or depth but they seem to pale in comparison to some of the sitautions I had experienced.

I have had a vast amount of enemies and I too had been found asking the same questions. I took it seriously because I had found myself in a rather poor position (for the 2nd time, the first time I had very much created it and felt that it would be better to avoid).  I was not as well loved as most had been.

At first, I had done the most common of approaches. I ignored them and for the time being I was very much satisified. Unfortunately, I quickly found out this would not suffice as the number of enemies I had grew quite a bit even though I hadn't said a word.

My enemies had come but not to merely slander my name or to bother to quarrel with my about something insiginificant matter but with far crueler purpose. As you can imagine, they wanted me removed completely but their dull-witted prejudice would not destroy what I had labored so long to build.

I had began recording dialogue (screenshots, which I still have) and the reactions of others to thoroughly analysis the issue. Unfortunately, this was not as easy as I had planned.. I had not said much to anyone this time around and to some - not a single word to any. This gave me a great deal of insight to the cause but if my research was correct (which it was)..I couldn't change or tweak my personality because that is not where the flaw lies. It had nothing to do with personality at all.

I suppose I could tell you the entire scenario but I'd only feel like telling you it if you really wanted to know.

Just to make sure I answer the questions.

Do you have enemies only online, in MMOs?

I only have enemies online, none in real life.

How do you handle it?

Ignoring them works very well UNLESS you're a dealing with an army of hate. I would say probably 1/4 to 1/2 the community and you will start to see some serious problems - anymore than that and you should be expecting harassment until you're permanently banned. (Which you will be, for doing something as simple as greeting another person - don't ask how, just know you will)

Does it bother you?

If you are capable of putting them on ignore than it doesn't bother me at all. However, if they are capable of permanently banning or prevent me from obtaining certain items via community..than it bothers me a lot.

Any advice?

You're very unlikely to get in an argument with anyone as long as you don't take an aggressive stance with your opinions. I can very easily predict what someone will say or how they will react by what they do and how they reply. If they take a very outrageous position and indirectly insult yours (which they will, almost always) you can simply discredit them by personally attacking you to avoid getting into a trivial argument. Or you can kindly explain to them and as long as you're calm than you'll never really get into a heated debate.

You'll find this is much harder to accomplish than you think. I doubt the mass majority will ever be able to do it - I could be wrong though.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

Online enemies can be ignored. Its the ones in real life you have to worry about.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

IMHO, you can't have enemies online any more then you can have online "friends". Its completely irrelevant who says what about who. I didn't even look at the names of anyone on this thread. You turn off the PC, stop going to a board, put people on ignore list, change your identity.

Is anyone that thin skinned they actually care that someone in a video game or forum board likes or dislikes their little avatar?

Its a knotheaded thing to worry about when you have RL to deal with.

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

I spent a decent amount of time trash talking people on the forums in eve online as Dirtball but none of that stuff ever seems to get back to you once you're in game, it's almost like it's 2 different games the forums and actually logging on.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

If you live and DONT have enemies you live either in Carebearland or Disneyland or you doing something wrong! I mean, if you *have* an opinion about things that matter, and stand for it, your WILL have enemies. Somewhere. Its unavoidable.

I am also the enemy of some. But, there is enemy and enemy. I view my battles like a chivlarous knight. Sure, I want to win and I want him down and my victory clear, but within rules not to personally degrade him, not slader him or spread rumors. I confront my enemies straight on, beat them if I can and then move on. No mockery, no slander. In that way I can appreciate enemies. The make us grow. What I dont like and what ultimately serves no greater good at all, is slader, name calling, unfair attack and the like. Alas in our days few are able to pursue a fair fight.

Generally, dont be afraid, stand to your standarts no matter what your enemies do.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by DT-Dyne

I'm just curious, what do you consider an "enemy"?

Someone who makes it clear that they think everything you do is incompetent and they just put you down every chance they get.... ?