Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question about the single player game

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

I am a MMORPG veteren (started with UO/EQ) and now I am playing mostly WOW.

So I am sick of the fantasy genre and want something i little more scifi-ish. Tabula Rasa is such a disappointment so HGL seems to be one of the better hopes.

I got the game and I am playing the SP version to get a taste (i like soloing anyway). My question is whether I can use my SP character in a multiplayer game or do I have to start all over again?

Furthermore, are there new content only available to the multiplayer version?

TIA.

Comments

• Unicorns_PwnUnicorns_Pwn Member Posts: 427

Single player characters are limited to just that. If you decide to go multi player you will have to start a new character.

As far as content goes, the multiplayer aspect seems to receive new content and patches before the single player does.

• avediasavedias Member Posts: 118

I have not played single player mode. I have been playing the multiplayer on and off since beta though. FSS really isn't good at standing by their scheduled patches but they usually do deliver pretty well for the multiplayer mode. I'm pretty sure their stance on new content is simply that, you paid 50 bucks for what's in the box, and that's what you're going to get. I'm sure there is patches for bugs and things like that, but you will not be seeing any of the addition content.

I'm curious as to why anyone would want to play singleplayer anyways? The only upside I can see to playing it in singleplayer is that when you hit Esc, it acts as a pause button? haha. Just because the game is multiplayer, doesn't mean you have to be active with the community.  It's very easy to solo in this game.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

Hi, everything these guys have said is true and fair about the game, it's also very addictive and a lot of fun, now with all that said and what was said before, you should also hear abit about the downside of this game, mainly bugs and lag, the game is not too demanding when it comes to graphics in both the singleside and the multiplayer side, so it's surprising to find that there is a bit of lag in both sides, don't get me wrong the graphics are very nice looking, I've been putting screenshots up for the last week, the main problem that I keep coming across is that it can be a bit slow to render or build maps when you enter them, it's also slow to clear your ram when you exit the game, I'm hoping that all or a lot of this will be fixed in the new 1.3 patch when it's released,(hopefully) there are other smaller problems as well, by all means it's not a perfect game, it also is not a point and click, it's more twitch combat with a bit of FPS and w,a,s,d, for movement, I describe it as a cross between Diablo meets Doom3 meets Quake or a Sci-Fi version of Dungeon and Dragons Online,( yes I play this as well) anyway I hope this helps and you enjoy playing.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by redcap036

Hi, everything these guys have said is true and fair about the game, it's also very addictive and a lot of fun, now with all that said and what was said before, you should also hear abit about the downside of this game, mainly bugs and lag, the game is not too demanding when it comes to graphics in both the singleside and the multiplayer side, so it's surprising to find that there is a bit of lag in both sides, don't get me wrong the graphics are very nice looking, I've been putting screenshots up for the last week, the main problem that I keep coming across is that it can be a bit slow to render or build maps when you enter them, it's also slow to clear your ram when you exit the game, I'm hoping that all or a lot of this will be fixed in the new 1.3 patch when it's released,(hopefully) there are other smaller problems as well, by all means it's not a perfect game, it also is not a point and click, it's more twitch combat with a bit of FPS and w,a,s,d, for movement, I describe it as a cross between Diablo meets Doom3 meets Quake or a Sci-Fi version of Dungeon and Dragons Online,( yes I play this as well) anyway I hope this helps and you enjoy playing.

Thats for your opinion. I have been playing the SP game on and off and that is my assessment as well. I am right now debating whether i should sub or not.

• Originally posted by nariusseldon

Thats for your opinion. I have been playing the SP game on and off and that is my assessment as well. I am right now debating whether i should sub or not.

I think it's well worth subscribing for a month to check out the new updates for a bit of fresh gameplay.  However, it's unlikely you will find the existing subscriber content worth subscribing for in the long term.  Perhaps 2.0 will change that, but we'll have to wait and see.  Regardless, $10 for a month of fresh content is well worth it in my opinion.  Of course, anything that is subscriber only won't be usable when you cancel the subscription, so that may influence your decision as well.  Also, if you haven't started a multiplay character, I'd get one to level 25+ before starting your subscription.  There's virtually no difference between subscription and non-sub for those first 25+ levels.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by zaxxon23

Originally posted by nariusseldon

I think it's well worth subscribing for a month to check out the new updates for a bit of fresh gameplay.  However, it's unlikely you will find the existing subscriber content worth subscribing for in the long term.  Perhaps 2.0 will change that, but we'll have to wait and see.  Regardless, $10 for a month of fresh content is well worth it in my opinion.  Of course, anything that is subscriber only won't be usable when you cancel the subscription, so that may influence your decision as well.  Also, if you haven't started a multiplay character, I'd get one to level 25+ before starting your subscription.  There's virtually no difference between subscription and non-sub for those first 25+ levels.

Ok ... good advice. I do not know you don't need to sub to play multiplayer. I will definitely try that first.