Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes you think this game is going to be good?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Like others, I await the release of DF because of the promise it brings.  Do I have doubts about Aventurine's ability to deliver? Yes, most definitely.  But maybe, just maybe they'll pull it off and if so, I'll be there playing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Like others, I await the release of DF because of the promise it brings.  Do I have doubts about Aventurine's ability to deliver? Yes, most definitely.  But maybe, just maybe they'll pull it off and if so, I'll be there playing.

Absolutely. I totally agree. I dont have much faith in the company either (I'm a pessimist) but then again I dont know anything about them so how could I possibly judge them? The people involved in making it might be brilliant for all I know.......and even if they fail then someone else will take their place sooner or later. MMOs have to evolve. Its inevitable. The naysayers will be crushed underfoot :)

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    Originally posted by AveBethos

The feature list and the combat.  That is enough to make this game head and shoulders better than the rest, IF it ever releases.

Heh, this post makes my head itch... Lol jk, but I agree though +1

Isaiah 41:10
  • LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by LordRelic

Originally posted by SignusM

It wont, its an open world pvp. just like lineage 2 (apart from the combat system)  This entire game will consist of ganking lowbies thats all you ever get out of any game with open world pvp. nothing new nothing special.

Wow, thats an uneducated statement. Ultima Online, the first large MMO, and to this date, one of the most realistic and immersive worlds ever created was FFA PvP. Besides, you can't gank "lowbies" in a game that isn't level based.

No one knows its going to be good. They have fans because the idea is one that has been missing from the MMO market since 1999. People are desperate for an immersive free world again, and are hoping the features in Darkfall make it to launch. If they do, then this game will truly be something special.

Then wtf is the point of playing  "hey i just made my first character and look im already leet and can beat anyone yay" stupid stuff.  Your point is ignorant, ganking lowbies can be anything ie a toon thats not as  developed a toon that is low lvl, a toon that has not been in the world as long as the kid who is on summer vacation and plays 24 hours a day.  My point is justified   and as for  UO being what you say it is I call BS!!!

thats like saying mario for the nintendo is the most complicated game ever... i dont dought that it is fun for some, but to make a statment like that is just fubar

LordRelic.....you dont get it do you. The game doesnt have levels but you do have skills that improve as you use them. No-one will know anything about your character apart from what they can actually see on your Avatar as those skills are not on display for others to see. How are you supposed to gank the less well developed characters when you have no way of knowing anything about them?

So your point is not justified at all. Go and read about the ideas in the game before posting useless uninformed nonsense on this thread.

OK dude are you trying to tell me a toon just made is going to look the same as a toon thats lvl 40 or 50 or 300 i dont care.  THERE WILL BE GANKING.   IM sure it will be easy as hell to tell who is a more undeveloped toon just by what there wearing. Dont try to tell me im not justified because i am 100%. How the hell will you know what the game will be or how it will play have you played it???? oh wait noone has so stfu.

• lotharrlotharr Member Posts: 981

It wont, its an open world pvp. just like lineage 2 (apart from the combat system)  This entire game will consist of ganking lowbies thats all you ever get out of any game with open world pvp. nothing new nothing special.

Wow, thats an uneducated statement. Ultima Online, the first large MMO, and to this date, one of the most realistic and immersive worlds ever created was FFA PvP. Besides, you can't gank "lowbies" in a game that isn't level based.

No one knows its going to be good. They have fans because the idea is one that has been missing from the MMO market since 1999. People are desperate for an immersive free world again, and are hoping the features in Darkfall make it to launch. If they do, then this game will truly be something special.

Then wtf is the point of playing  "hey i just made my first character and look im already leet and can beat anyone yay" stupid stuff.  Your point is ignorant, ganking lowbies can be anything ie a toon thats not as  developed a toon that is low lvl, a toon that has not been in the world as long as the kid who is on summer vacation and plays 24 hours a day.  My point is justified   and as for  UO being what you say it is I call BS!!!

thats like saying mario for the nintendo is the most complicated game ever... i dont dought that it is fun for some, but to make a statment like that is just fubar

LordRelic.....you dont get it do you. The game doesnt have levels but you do have skills that improve as you use them. No-one will know anything about your character apart from what they can actually see on your Avatar as those skills are not on display for others to see. How are you supposed to gank the less well developed characters when you have no way of knowing anything about them?

So your point is not justified at all. Go and read about the ideas in the game before posting useless uninformed nonsense on this thread.

You will most likely have skills to reveal some specific stats on the opposing character.

Also, heard about gank squads?

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Yeah that is indeed a fair point. I suppose gangs of skilled players could hang around starting areas and wait for new players to arrive. The problem with that is that we dont know anything about how Darkfall will handle that yet. What if there are no specific starting areas? Players might be able to start from a large variety of different places. What if starting areas are protected by guards (which I'm sure they will be)? You are also forgetting that an alignment system is being implemented so players that continually ruin other players fun will be hated by all the "civil" npcs in the game. Its gonna be pretty hard to harrass new players when the gankers cant even get near the starting areas due to armies of npcs wanting to kill them on sight.
    Basicly from the looks of it Darkfall will make it so difficult and boring to be a dedicated ganker that they will either (1) give up and play the game properly which would actually be more fun and involving or (2) go and gank people in some other more mainstream and less intelligent game.
    Also dont forget that every time a ganker picks on a player they are running the risk of attacking someone who is in fact NOT a beginning character at all. Whats to stop a more advanced player from simply disguising themselves as a "noob", logging out at a known starting area and then logging back in therefore making it look like they are a new player? The ganker may very well get their arses handed to them on a plate and have all of their fine quality equipment taken from them as punishment. On top of that, the ganker would be classed as a criminal so the "victim" might even get a reward for slaying the scum. Oh what a joyful feeling that would be :)

No argument here, good points as well. We'll have to see if and that is a big IF (see big if lol) Darkfall sees the light of day.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.

OK dude are you trying to tell me a toon just made is going to look the same as a toon thats lvl 40 or 50 or 300 i dont care.  THERE WILL BE GANKING.   IM sure it will be easy as hell to tell who is a more undeveloped toon just by what there wearing. Dont try to tell me im not justified because i am 100%. How the hell will you know what the game will be or how it will play have you played it???? oh wait noone has so stfu.

Oh my god you are a bright one arent you! I'm gonna have fun chatting to you.....dude

Get it into your thick skull!

THERE........ARE.........NO.........LEVELS!!!

Got it? Lets try it again.

THERE........ARE.........NO.........LEVELS!!!

Has it sunken in yet? Answer me this - in real life how do you tell a highly skilled cook from someone who is highly skilled in.....lets say.....fishing? Maybe the cook wears an apron and perhaps the fisherman wears a fishermans cap. Thats about the only clue your gonna get. Even if a person is dressed in a style that fits with the way they believe they should look, it still doesnt give any impression of how good they are. A skilled swordsman might also have picked up the knowledge to cast a spell or two. A highly powerful mage might enjoy wandering around in a fantastic looking suit of plate armour. That hunter you see in the fancy looking cloak and top quality leather armour might actually just be a new player wearing some expensive gifts that were recently given to him by a friend. That ordinary looking guy over there may very well be the most highly trained assassin in the game who is in fact just waiting for someone to try and mug him.

You are exactly the kind of unthinking player that this game (if completed successfully) will completely confuse. You will be crying "But how do I do the best dps? Whats the best way to be a tank? Where is the best place to farm for phat loot? What am I supposed to do?". Then you will drift back to the mainstream mmos where all the thinking is done for you.

After making the statement in capital letters THERE WILL BE GANKING you then follow it up with "How the hell will you know what the game will be or how it will play have you played it???? oh wait noone has so stfu." Thats interesting logic you got going for you there.

All I need to say in reply to that is.........how the hell would you know if ganking is going to be easy in this game? Have you played it yet? Oh wait! No-one has....so stuff you!

I'm looking forward to you posting again good sir. Its gonna be interesting seeing what you have to say. Oh and theres no need to say "Well whatever dude! I dont care what you think cos that game is gonna suck anyway and noone will play it cos it wont ever get made so stfu!" because....well.....I just typed your reply for you

Originally posted by lotharr

You will most likely have skills to reveal some specific stats on the opposing character.

Also, heard about gank squads?

Of course I've heard about gank squads. They are high level characters that gang together in LEVEL BASED mmos that are not properly designed for PvP purposes. Yeah sure I've heard of them.

Yes you will have skills. I seem to recall from reading about the game that there are something like 300 of them (someone correct me here if they want as I cant be bothered to go and look it up) that a character can choose from. Ok so you decide to sit down and watch a player fight a monster with a sword. What does that tell you? All it reveals is that he can fight a monster with a sword. If he kills it quickly you will know he is good with his sword......oh hang on......maybe the monster wasnt very skilled itself.....or maybe he got lucky......or maybe he is actually a mage who has enchanted his sword. What else do you know about this character? Do you know that he can turn himself invisble? Do you know that he is also a great archer? Do you know that he can spit a fireball out of his arse? Even if you do figure out that he is a skilled swordsman......then what? So he has a good dexterity or strength score.....what use is that to a potential ganker?

Of course trying to figure out the weaknesses of other potential enemies will be important, assuming you come across someone you view as an enemy. A dwarf player will almost definately want to try and kill an Orc player on sight (apparently you get rewards from npcs for killing members of an opposing faction). That dwarf player might also take a strong dislike to a fellow dwarf he sees trading with an Orc too.

The point is that this game is being set up with MEANINGFUL PvP in mind and the term "ganker" just doesnt have any relevence......although I suppose you might refer to a ganker in Darkfall as a mugger, thug or bandit.

There are different races/factions that you can choose from. So an elf player for example has three enemy races to fight against if they want to. Why would a player go to all the effort of trying to gank someone from their own side when there are enemy players that are meant to be "ganked" anyway? Why risk your own characters life, reputation, equipment and treasure trying to kill members of your own guild or race in a game that has enemy players trying to kill you? Of course this could still happen but then this happens in real life, where nasty scumbags pick on people because they discover a weakness in them. Those players effectively become known as being evil and will be forced to congregate with other "evil" villains. The game will be harder for them though......especially as they will no doubt be hunted mercillessly by bands of noble law-abiding do-gooders.......groups of players that have decided to form their own organisations such as knight templars, witch hunters, city militia etc.

Hmmm......the potential for any scenario or situation seems pretty vast actually when you ditch the tired old level and class systems.

Of course I've heard about gank squads. They are high level characters that gang together in LEVEL BASED mmos that are not properly designed for PvP purposes. Yeah sure I've heard of them.
    Yes you will have skills. I seem to recall from reading about the game that there are something like 300 of them (someone correct me here if they want as I cant be bothered to go and look it up) that a character can choose from. Ok so you decide to sit down and watch a player fight a monster with a sword. What does that tell you? All it reveals is that he can fight a monster with a sword. If he kills it quickly you will know he is good with his sword......oh hang on......maybe the monster wasnt very skilled itself.....or maybe he got lucky......or maybe he is actually a mage who has enchanted his sword. What else do you know about this character? Do you know that he can turn himself invisble? Do you know that he is also a great archer? Do you know that he can spit a fireball out of his arse? Even if you do figure out that he is a skilled swordsman......then what? So he has a good dexterity or strength score.....what use is that to a potential ganker?
    Of course trying to figure out the weaknesses of other potential enemies will be important, assuming you come across someone you view as an enemy. A dwarf player will almost definately want to try and kill an Orc player on sight (apparently you get rewards from npcs for killing members of an opposing faction). That dwarf player might also take a strong dislike to a fellow dwarf he sees trading with an Orc too.
    The point is that this game is being set up with MEANINGFUL PvP in mind and the term "ganker" just doesnt have any relevence......although I suppose you might refer to a ganker in Darkfall as a mugger, thug or bandit.
    There are different races/factions that you can choose from. So an elf player for example has three enemy races to fight against if they want to. Why would a player go to all the effort of trying to gank someone from their own side when there are enemy players that are meant to be "ganked" anyway? Why risk your own characters life, reputation, equipment and treasure trying to kill members of your own guild or race in a game that has enemy players trying to kill you? Of course this could still happen but then this happens in real life, where nasty scumbags pick on people because they discover a weakness in them. Those players effectively become known as being evil and will be forced to congregate with other "evil" villains. The game will be harder for them though......especially as they will no doubt be hunted mercillessly by bands of noble law-abiding do-gooders.......groups of players that have decided to form their own organisations such as knight templars, witch hunters, city militia etc.
    Hmmm......the potential for any scenario or situation seems pretty vast actually when you ditch the tired old level and class systems.

For your information, I was talking about skills which are meant specifically for instantly investigating the skills or attributes of the targeted player.

Oh, and a gank squad isn't necessarily a group full of high level characters. In a game like Darkfall, the levels could easily be just translated to skill- or the number- of the players.

Gank happens when you camp the newbie starting point.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225

There will be ganking, that's a given. But with FFA games like this, different rules and laws are sort of spawned. Community will develop, people who gank gankers, people who defend merchants, ambush parties, pirates, and it all makes for a much more dangerous, complex, and REAL game than World of Warcraft.

Comparing Ultima to Mario is idiotic. Mario was fun because it was simple. I've seen Atari movie based games more complicated than the multi million dollar blockbuster games released these days. Age means nothing.

Ultima was lightyears ahead of its time due to all of the features it had. FFA PvP, treasure hunting, pathfinding, crafting, ships, fishing, a faction and alignment system, teleporters, a deep magic system, I could go on and on. There are hardly any MMOs out now that match up to the feature list that Ultima Online had, because more of the money is in simple games that take your hand and guide you along a given path. Many people are sick of that though (though not the noobs who just found the MMO scene with WoW) but many of the older players are desperate for the level of depth the old sandbox games had.

• sdozersdozer Member Posts: 3

That's OK that you are confused OP. I am too. This won't be the end-all-be-all of PvP games, nor of MMORPGs. I'm cooking that one up ;). Jk

I think that the game may be pretty sweet. You'll probably get a community that's as professional as EVE Online's. By the way, that's based on my experiences so if you have a problem with the EVE community, whatever. I have a few worries about Darkfall.

There are levels numb skulls. Skill level. Level is a very general word that doesn't just mean a number that states your progression from 1-100. It could mean 1-10000000, such as for experience. It still means a level, that is your progression. So you will have ganking of lowbies, people with less skill levels and less bought skills; unless players unleash guard patrols and powerful players decide to play the good guy to loot the good stuff.

My guess is that it will be interesting to play for a few months to chuckle at the 12 year olds. The combat just doesn't quite look very spectacular. It's just a TPHnS/FPS in an extremely large, persistent world. Woopdidoo. Where's the innovation in combat? Again, not the end-all-be-all of PvP.

So I will play for a while and if the experience is good, less ganking than I expected, then I might keep going until Warhammer 40KO comes out. That might have some nifty melee combat considering the IP, but I still HAVE to play it.

Conclusion: DF die-hards are weird. "Freedom dude!" You sound like a hippie.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    For your information, I was talking about skills which are meant specifically for instantly investigating the skills or attributes of the targeted player.
    Oh, and a gank squad isn't necessarily a group full of high level characters. In a game like Darkfall, the levels could easily be just translated to skill- or the number- of the players.

First of all.. i never heard about a skill of instantly investigating someones skills or attributs.

And the second one.. ever tried to camp Britannia to gank some newbies? There are no designated starting zones with lowlevel mobs around.. there are no levels. There are different cities, including the capital city, where a new character can spawn... within those cities you will be more or less protected from the city guards, and out side of them every possible character will run around, the veteran just selling a few goods and the newb out of char creation.. and it will be hard to judge, who is who.

Of course pking will happen, and ganking to some extend to.. but it will be a complete different story as in games with levels, level based zones and so on. But one thing is guaranteed, everyone will die and will be looted.. a lot. Live with it, take care of yourself, dont be stupid and take the challenge. You can say what you want about DF, but from a concept standpoint it is one of the best games i have ever read about(at least if you are a sandbox guy with favor of full pvp with risk and reward and a lot of consequences.. which is of course a minority in the mmo community)... how it will be in the end is another story.

Ok sorry I misunderstood what you meant regarding the reading of others skills. That would only be possible though if it is a spell or ability which is directly implemented into the game.....which I really cant see happening as it just doesnt make any sense. What skill in real life allows you to do that? None whatsoever. Even in a fantasy setting it would be rather odd to be able to cast a spell that gives you "Ragnar has 75 sword skill and has fishing at 15"......the spell/ability would have to target a specific skill. Its just.....daft really. I cant see the devs putting something in that is so out of place and stupid that directly helps people to cheat. Come on now.

As for the comment about camping newbie areas.......well that has already been asked by someone else earlier in the thread. There are blatantly obvious solutions to this and the only reason it has causes problems before is because it has happened in level based games that were never designed for PvP. The response I gave to that statement was this......

Yeah that is indeed a fair point. I suppose gangs of skilled players could hang around starting areas and wait for new players to arrive. The problem with that is that we dont know anything about how Darkfall will handle that yet. What if there are no specific starting areas? Players might be able to start from a large variety of different places. What if starting areas are protected by guards (which I'm sure they will be)? You are also forgetting that an alignment system is being implemented so players that continually ruin other players fun will be hated by all the "civil" npcs in the game. Its gonna be pretty hard to harrass new players when the gankers cant even get near the starting areas due to armies of npcs wanting to kill them on sight.

Basicly from the looks of it Darkfall will make it so difficult and boring to be a dedicated ganker that they will either (1) give up and play the game properly which would actually be more fun and involving or (2) go and gank people in some other more mainstream and less intelligent game.

Also dont forget that every time a ganker picks on a player they are running the risk of attacking someone who is in fact NOT a beginning character at all. Whats to stop a more advanced player from simply disguising themselves as a "noob", logging out at a known starting area and then logging back in therefore making it look like they are a new player? The ganker may very well get their arses handed to them on a plate and have all of their fine quality equipment taken from them as punishment. On top of that, the ganker would be classed as a criminal so the "victim" might even get a reward for slaying the scum. Oh what a joyful feeling that would be :)

Oh and yes the levels can indeed be translated into skills but......so what? It still doesnt change the fact that you will have no idea what skills everyone else has so its kind of a moot point really. Yes people can gang up on an individual. Again......so what? People are free to do whatever they like. Thats not a bad thing ya know! Gank squads are effectively roaming bands of outlaws or bandits. If a player travels out in the wilderness alone then they run the risk of being attacked by bandits. Thats life! Thats the risk you take when playing a realistic game.......and anyway that player might be a badass and be totally capable of handling a group of gankers. Anything could happen in a game like this.

Isnt all of this obvious? Have the current mmos really closed your mind that much?

Originally posted by Apraxis

First of all.. i never heard about a skill of instantly investigating someones skills or attributs.

And the second one.. ever tried to camp Britannia to gank some newbies? There are no designated starting zones with lowlevel mobs around.. there are no levels. There are different cities, including the capital city, where a new character can spawn... within those cities you will be more or less protected from the city guards, and out side of them every possible character will run around, the veteran just selling a few goods and the newb out of char creation.. and it will be hard to judge, who is who.

Of course pking will happen, and ganking to some extend to.. but it will be a complete different story as in games with levels, level based zones and so on. But one thing is guaranteed, everyone will die and will be looted.. a lot. Live with it, take care of yourself, dont be stupid and take the challenge. You can say what you want about DF, but from a concept standpoint it is one of the best games i have ever read about(at least if you are a sandbox guy with favor of full pvp with risk and reward and a lot of consequences.. which is of course a minority in the mmo community)... how it will be in the end is another story.

Brilliant! Well said. Someone who actually clearly gets it! Its good to see that you have not been brainwashed by all the hand-holding mmos currently on the market. Its kind of scary that so many people cant get their heads round what is essentially a very simple concept. Says a lot about people really doesnt it ;-)

There will be ganking, that's a given. But with FFA games like this, different rules and laws are sort of spawned. Community will develop, people who gank gankers, people who defend merchants, ambush parties, pirates, and it all makes for a much more dangerous, complex, and REAL game than World of Warcraft.

Comparing Ultima to Mario is idiotic. Mario was fun because it was simple. I've seen Atari movie based games more complicated than the multi million dollar blockbuster games released these days. Age means nothing.

Ultima was lightyears ahead of its time due to all of the features it had. FFA PvP, treasure hunting, pathfinding, crafting, ships, fishing, a faction and alignment system, teleporters, a deep magic system, I could go on and on. There are hardly any MMOs out now that match up to the feature list that Ultima Online had, because more of the money is in simple games that take your hand and guide you along a given path. Many people are sick of that though (though not the noobs who just found the MMO scene with WoW) but many of the older players are desperate for the level of depth the old sandbox games had.

I totally agree. If Darkfall is successfully released then it could quite easily fill a much needed niche in the mmo community. All of the mmos at the moment do all the thinking for you. This game could be a breath of fresh air for more mature people and will also allow real roleplaying to take place where you can actually effect the gameworld. All the kids and numbskulls will hopefully stay in their cookie cutter games where they can be safe from having to think on their own.

Originally posted by sdozer

That's OK that you are confused OP. I am too. This won't be the end-all-be-all of PvP games, nor of MMORPGs. I'm cooking that one up ;). Jk
    I think that the game may be pretty sweet. You'll probably get a community that's as professional as EVE Online's. By the way, that's based on my experiences so if you have a problem with the EVE community, whatever. I have a few worries about Darkfall.
    There are levels numb skulls. Skill level. Level is a very general word that doesn't just mean a number that states your progression from 1-100. It could mean 1-10000000, such as for experience. It still means a level, that is your progression. So you will have ganking of lowbies, people with less skill levels and less bought skills; unless players unleash guard patrols and powerful players decide to play the good guy to loot the good stuff.
    My guess is that it will be interesting to play for a few months to chuckle at the 12 year olds. The combat just doesn't quite look very spectacular. It's just a TPHnS/FPS in an extremely large, persistent world. Woopdidoo. Where's the innovation in combat? Again, not the end-all-be-all of PvP.
    So I will play for a while and if the experience is good, less ganking than I expected, then I might keep going until Warhammer 40KO comes out. That might have some nifty melee combat considering the IP, but I still HAVE to play it.
    Conclusion: DF die-hards are weird. "Freedom dude!" You sound like a hippie.

Yes there are skills levels.......but unlike other games they will not be available for other players to see so obviously you wont be able to gank a lowbie when you will have no idea who that lowbie is. This is one of the many things that will set Darkfall apart from all the other mmos......IF it ever gets made.

Indeed the combat system might not be all that different to any other game......but then why does it have to be? Something doesnt have to be different to be good ya know.

It's funny how you start talking about Ultima Online after first stating "i never heard about a skill of instantly investigating someones skills or attributs."

Ultima Online for example has that kind of skills.

Yes, I've ganked newbies near Britannia. Even if there are no static newbie spawning points, there most definitely are areas which are meant for newbies. Remember the Britannia's Graveyard?

It's funny how you start talking about Ultima Online after first stating "i never heard about a skill of instantly investigating someones skills or attributs."

Yes, I've ganked newbies near Britannia. Even if there are no static newbie spawning points, there most definitely are areas which are meant for newbies. Remember the Britannia's Graveyard?

Lets stop referring to them as gankers because in Darkfall there is supposed to be a place for such people. They are called bandits, outlaws, thugs, robbers, cutthroats etc. They will provide an interesting part of the game. They will give the decent and honest players something to hunt :-)

Bandits that hang around particular areas for too long hoping for easy pickings will simply get hunted down by players who are loyal to that particular area. In the civilised parts of the game world gankers (sorry I mean bandits) will find life very harsh indeed. They will be the ones getting "ganked".

So if you genuinely think that ganking will ruin Darkfall then if the game does ever get released I really do hope you will come and try out your ganking skills. You wont ruin it as all you will be doing is playing the part of a villain which is ok right?

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

We can just say that there is no limit how tough you can be in DF. So there are always one that could grief you back. So the whole gameplay will quickly know just how smart and tough you think you are. And still dont care about you.

Originally posted by daarco

We can just say that there is no limit how tough you can be in DF. So there are always one that could grief you back. So the whole gameplay will quickly know just how smart and tough you think you are. And still dont care about you.

Very true. Its pretty much like real life.....which is kind of what Darkfall is attempting to simulate as close as is possible in a game. If a player goes into Darkfall with the intention of trying to pick on someone he thinks is weaker than he is then they are welcome to that limited ambition if thats what pleases them. They will never prove it to anyone......but then again who knows? Maybe they will! Maybe the best "ganker" in the game will become known as a legendary bandit leader and have a large bounty placed on his head. Then he will be forced to gang together with other nasty-minded players (a gankers guild) and will be constantly on the run from another particular player who has honed his skills and formed his own band of heroes (anti-gankers guild) to hunt the villain down and keep the world safe from his evil tirrany. I would definately be joining them in the hunt

What other mmos currently available offer anything close to this kind of random scenario occurring? I never played Ultima Online so maybe that offered the possibility of something like that happening but I really dont think there are any other games like it......apart from Eve I suppose which isnt really my cup of tea.

• mortharxmortharx Member Posts: 293

Because Tasos said so! I believe in Tasos!

No really my blue eyes are looking at the feature list and wants to believe in this game!

R.I.P Chikaca Whachuchuimage

• sdozersdozer Member Posts: 3

"Yes there are skills levels.......but unlike other games they will not be available for other players to see so obviously you wont be able to gank a lowbie when you will have no idea who that lowbie is. This is one of the many things that will set Darkfall apart from all the other mmos......IF it ever gets made.

Indeed the combat system might not be all that different to any other game......but then why does it have to be? Something doesnt have to be different to be good ya know."

I never said that it wouldn't be a good game because of it's lack of innovation in the combat system. But I bet that I will get bored of it after some time. I'm certainly not playing Huxley but that's personal preference for the FPS genre itself. Notice these are "I" statements.

It has to be innovative to be great actually. You know, a strong idea versus a good one. It's a 'good' idea to use the 'good' stuff from the past. But will it stick ? Or will you feel, after a while, like you've seen it all before; in that area of the game that is, which there might be others that keep your attention. So I'm sure I will enjoy the game for a bit, and maybe longer. I'm definitely sure that it will be a good game, and btw I think that a game is also 'great' on a personal level obviously if it keeps one's attention. So if it does that to me, great :P. But I'm betting that the un-innovative combat will be a drag after a while.

;) And by the way, my point was really that it's not the end-all-be-all of PvP games because of it's lack of innovation in combat.

I guess with not being able to see skills, and the fact that you're respawned, and the fact that I don't want protection begging losers in the game; it all adds up to not caring about the lowbie thing anymore.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by mortharx

No really my blue eyes are looking at the feature list and wants to believe in this game!

The point being if you used that thing attached to your neck, you would realize that with the small staff they have, implementing even half of that feature list is beyond daunting. 

So you can basically take the feature list as a wish list, NOT something you will find in the game if it ever makes it to release.

Lets stop referring to them as gankers because in Darkfall there is supposed to be a place for such people. They are called bandits, outlaws, thugs, robbers, cutthroats etc. They will provide an interesting part of the game. They will give the decent and honest players something to hunt :-)

Bandits that hang around particular areas for too long hoping for easy pickings will simply get hunted down by players who are loyal to that particular area. In the civilised parts of the game world gankers (sorry I mean bandits) will find life very harsh indeed. They will be the ones getting "ganked".

So if you genuinely think that ganking will ruin Darkfall then if the game does ever get released I really do hope you will come and try out your ganking skills. You wont ruin it as all you will be doing is playing the part of a villain which is ok right?

What? No, I don't think that Darkfall will be ruined by ganking.

I wouldn't really associate gankers with any of the professions you just gave. Maybe thugs and outlaws to some degree.

Newbie and crafter ganking can more likely be associated with griefers.

Also, none of the more developed griefer guilds or even alliances will get ganked very quickly in the spots they want to camp. Just take a glance at EVE Online for an example.

• mortharxmortharx Member Posts: 293
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by mortharx

The point being if you used that thing attached to your neck, you would realize that with the small staff they have, implementing even half of that feature list is beyond daunting. 

So you can basically take the feature list as a wish list, NOT something you will find in the game if it ever makes it to release.

Hey come on! You just gotta have a little faith!

R.I.P Chikaca Whachuchuimage