Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes you think this game is going to be good?

brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975

I'm very confused by many of the "die-hard" fans that seem to exist when it comes to this game.  I don't understand the basis on which people think this game will be good (if it ever comes out at all).  The game isn't based on an existing IP, and there is little "real" information about how the game works/will work as no one seems to have tested or even seen the game in action.  There are a number of "hardcore PvP" fans who seem to think this game is the be-all end-all of PvP games, but I really don't see how you can make that kind of statement without any concrete information to base it on.

Are there some extensive documents, videos, or other information that would lead you to believe this game is going to be something special?  There doesn't even seem to be any indication that it is still under "development" aside from the occasional idle promise from someone on their "team".  There seems to be more progress in Planeshift that in this game, and PS is an open source and slow-moving programmer's passtime.

What is the basis for this blind faith?  Perhaps you should question the man speaking into the microphone behind that curtain over there...

Comments

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

It wont, its an open world pvp. just like lineage 2 (apart from the combat system)  This entire game will consist of ganking lowbies thats all you ever get out of any game with open world pvp. nothing new nothing special.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

I've often wondered this as well :P

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526

It'll be awesome you'll see!!!111one!!11 Tasos is such an awesome honest guy!!11! They haven't been developing this game for like 200 years now, it's not vapor!!1!!11!!!!1!! It's not like their only 6 months from launch and they don't have a beta or release date yet!!!1!!11!!1

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by LordRelic

It wont, its an open world pvp. just like lineage 2 (apart from the combat system)  This entire game will consist of ganking lowbies thats all you ever get out of any game with open world pvp. nothing new nothing special.

Wow, thats an uneducated statement. Ultima Online, the first large MMO, and to this date, one of the most realistic and immersive worlds ever created was FFA PvP. Besides, you can't gank "lowbies" in a game that isn't level based.

No one knows its going to be good. They have fans because the idea is one that has been missing from the MMO market since 1999. People are desperate for an immersive free world again, and are hoping the features in Darkfall make it to launch. If they do, then this game will truly be something special.

• musicmannmusicmann Member UncommonPosts: 1,095

I don't think that anyone thinks this mmo will be the end all be all game. I think that for many, the game is a huge step in the other direction from all the WOW copycat's that presently litters the genre.

If the devs can implement everything they that they say they can, then this will be one hell of a MMO. I would take a stab when i say that, most mmo gamers are way past tired of the current setup and how games play out these days.

People are just tired of lvl's, classes and spoonfed content, that leads you around in a linear world. Most want a mmo that has freedom and the abiltiy to make their own choices, either good or bad and have consequences that go along with those choices.

They want a deep and indepth crafting system where what a player makes is better than some crap they get off some stupid end game boss or whatever. They want meaningful pvp, where land, cities and more can be won and lost.

These things and more is what mmo's like Darkfall is all about. i still don't understand why this game has all the cookie cutter mmo fanbois coming out and bashing this game. If it comes out great, if it doesn't, then mmorpg will take it off it's list and replace it with another up and coming game.

I'm persoanlly not waiting just for this mmo to come out. There is other's like, Mortal online, Earthrise, Crusades online, APB, Glogal Agenda, Fallen Earth, Divergence and stargate worlds. Most are all open sandbox games that rely on skill systems than dumbass lvl's.

So for all the people that are attacking this mmo, you soon as well attack every other mmo that is an open sandbox game as well. It will just show how much games like WOW and the likes have warped and destroyed brain cells until common sense and smart thinking has been destroyed.

• AveBethosAveBethos Member Posts: 611

The feature list and the combat.  That is enough to make this game head and shoulders better than the rest, IF it ever releases.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by brihtwulf

I'm very confused by many of the "die-hard" fans that seem to exist when it comes to this game.  I don't understand the basis on which people think this game will be good (if it ever comes out at all).  The game isn't based on an existing IP, and there is little "real" information about how the game works/will work as no one seems to have tested or even seen the game in action.  There are a number of "hardcore PvP" fans who seem to think this game is the be-all end-all of PvP games, but I really don't see how you can make that kind of statement without any concrete information to base it on.
    Are there some extensive documents, videos, or other information that would lead you to believe this game is going to be something special?  There doesn't even seem to be any indication that it is still under "development" aside from the occasional idle promise from someone on their "team".  There seems to be more progress in Planeshift that in this game, and PS is an open source and slow-moving programmer's passtime.
    What is the basis for this blind faith?  Perhaps you should question the man speaking into the microphone behind that curtain over there...

First - The combat system is FPS.  Which allows player skill to shine.  A skilled player can take down a group of bad players.   That is not possible in todays MMOs were Gear and level is king.

Enough of the hand hold crap, I dont want a developer to lead me by the hand while I explore.   I want to come across some random hole in the ground and have no idea what is inside. 

Darkfall will offer us games to make chooses as we play the game what will effect the world, good or bad.  Darkfall is going to allow us gamers to design a "class" that fits our play style.  Want to heal, cool grab a healing spell, want to duel wield while being a healer, sweet go ahead.... Endless options for players to use.

Darkfall will allow players to build cities and then take cities from their enemy's.  Allow us gamers to destroy cities.  build huge navels and explore distant islands. basicly going to allow you to play the game the way you want to.

NO LEVELS, NO CLASS, NO LIMITS, NO SET PATH, NO SET FINISH.

Darkfall's Feature list is the reason this game will be great..... Now can they follow though with all the promises and finish all the Feature for release?  We will wait and see.

Sooner or Later

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by brihtwulf

I do understand your view and partially agree with it. I have a feeling that Darkfall may very well fail......but the reason why people are fans of this "potential" game is obvious.

It offers everything that other mmos dont have. Freedom to be and do whatever you like and a system that if done properly will allow this to happen effectively.

Lots of people say that FFA PvP cannot work but they are all just dumbasses that cant think outside of the box. They are just going by what they have seen in other mmos that never implemented it properly. There wont be any ganking in Darkfall because as everyone knows PLAYERS DONT HAVE LEVELS. There is also NO CLASSES as it uses a skill based system. You will have no idea what another player is capable of. You can perhaps make judgement by what they are wearing and carrying but that doesnt mean anything. A person might be carrying a walking stick and wearing a loincloth and yet be highly skilled with that walking stick and be able to fire spells out of his arse! Equally a knight in shining armour might actually be a rubbish swordsman and is actually just wearing all of that stuff for show.

Then there is the open looting system. Idiots moan about that too simply because they cant think it through properly. Sure someone could kill you and take all of your stuff but for them to do that they also have to risk being killed and looted themselves. So a person who goes into the game thinking "Ha ha! I'm gonna kill someone and rob him and really piss him off" will end up rather frustrated when they find themselves picking on the wrong person and having the tables turned on them. Its basicly not all that different to real life actually.

The reason why people are liking the idea of Darkfall is because its features are very good ones. They offer realism and a meaningful world to play in which just doesnt exist in any mmo around at the moment. Sure it might fail at its task but if it succeeds then Darkfall will stamp all over the other "themepark" mmos by highlighting how incredibly limited they all are. If it succeeds Darkfall will be the only mmo of its kind and will definately stand out from the crowd.

Thats a big "if" though.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by AveBethos

The feature list and the combat.  That is enough to make this game head and shoulders better than the rest, IF it ever releases.

Ya right.  Just like AoC was feature complete all the way until two weeks from launch.  Hell, even two days before launch the game director admitted that BATTLE KEEP SIEGES were not avaiable yet, along with a host of other features that were "in", but not really.

DFO will be the exact same way.  They have 1/10 the staff and think they can deliver 3x as much game as AoC.  We'll see.  My bet is that this "feature complete" list of DFO will take a decade or two to make it into the live game.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• VansinneVansinne Member Posts: 212

Play UO, Shadowbane, AC and SWG. Then go play M&B. Mix those and you have something call Darkfall. Atleast at paper. If it is good? No idea.

• SignusMSignusM Member Posts: 2,225
    Originally posted by Shannia

Ya right.  Just like AoC was feature complete all the way until two weeks from launch.  Hell, even two days before launch the game director admitted that BATTLE KEEP SIEGES were not avaiable yet, along with a host of other features that were "in", but not really.

DFO will be the exact same way.  They have 1/10 the staff and think they can deliver 3x as much game as AoC.  We'll see.  My bet is that this "feature complete" list of DFO will take a decade or two to make it into the live game.

Just because one company is incompetant doesn't mean another is. We knew Funcom didn't have a good release track record. With Aventurine we don't, maybe they'll be better, maybe they'll be worse. We'll see. People have faith in the IDEA. The rest is yet to be judged.

A bigger company doesn't mean a more complete game, its just not logical. In fact, some larger companies are actualy WORSE than small companies at releasing what they promise.

I could have told you ages ago that AoC wasn't going to have those features in at release, shouldn't have shocked anyone but the blind fanboys. 1/10 the staff? Where'd you find those figures lol. Fail less.

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by SignusM

Just because one company is incompetant doesn't mean another is. We knew Funcom didn't have a good release track record. With Aventurine we don't, maybe they'll be better, maybe they'll be worse. We'll see. People have faith in the IDEA. The rest is yet to be judged.

A bigger company doesn't mean a more complete game, its just not logical. In fact, some larger companies are actualy WORSE than small companies at releasing what they promise.

I could have told you ages ago that AoC wasn't going to have those features in at release, shouldn't have shocked anyone but the blind fanboys. 1/10 the staff? Where'd you find those figures lol. Fail less.

Easy.  Funcom has over 300 employees and Aventurine is said to have 30.  Thus, 1/10th the staff, i.e. 10%.  Even if it is 200 employees for Funcom, it dwarfs Aventurine's staff. 

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• KshnikKshnik Member Posts: 57

1/10 the staff may be the reason it has taken them twice as long to develop.

No levels. Full loot. Every thing craftable. Seiges. Ship warfare and etc.  Makes the game attractive.  How it is all implemented will determine the life of the game.

• shadenisshadenis Member Posts: 217

The simple fact of that is that Age of conan wasn't feature complete because to much time and money was putten into GRAPHICS, GRAPHICS and of course hype and advertisement.

This costs loads of money and time. DFO doesn't even put effort into this, it has decent graphics from the latest screenshots but isn't eye candy quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    the old days, the days of gold.

representer of euhporium, shade/amity , high member of the council.

played

UO,M59,EVE,L2,AC,GW,WOW,LOTRO,SWG pre cu/nge,COH/COV, VG,TR,L1, POTBS,Neocron 1 and 2, DAOC pre TOA and age of conan

playing: EVE ONLINE
    Waiting for Earthrise, FE, bioware mmo, guild wars 2, DFO , mortal online , the chronicles of spellborn

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I think DF will be a good game by one simple reason: The gameplay is challencing. The devs dont thik we are six years old and cant take a decision or responsibility for our own actions. Last time i saw anything near that was in Pre-CU SWG.

Everyhting the last years have been kids stuff. Even AoC have gameplay for six years olds.....but claiming gore makes it R ??

Then in DF we get many features to MMOs. Houses, citybuilding and so on.

Wow, thats an uneducated statement. Ultima Online, the first large MMO, and to this date, one of the most realistic and immersive worlds ever created was FFA PvP. Besides, you can't gank "lowbies" in a game that isn't level based.

No one knows its going to be good. They have fans because the idea is one that has been missing from the MMO market since 1999. People are desperate for an immersive free world again, and are hoping the features in Darkfall make it to launch. If they do, then this game will truly be something special.

Then wtf is the point of playing  "hey i just made my first character and look im already leet and can beat anyone yay" stupid stuff.  Your point is ignorant, ganking lowbies can be anything ie a toon thats not as  developed a toon that is low lvl, a toon that has not been in the world as long as the kid who is on summer vacation and plays 24 hours a day.  My point is justified   and as for  UO being what you say it is I call BS!!!

thats like saying mario for the nintendo is the most complicated game ever... i dont dought that it is fun for some, but to make a statment like that is just fubar

Originally posted by musicmann

I don't think that anyone thinks this mmo will be the end all be all game. I think that for many, the game is a huge step in the other direction from all the WOW copycat's that presently litters the genre.
    If the devs can implement everything they that they say they can, then this will be one hell of a MMO. I would take a stab when i say that, most mmo gamers are way past tired of the current setup and how games play out these days.
    People are just tired of lvl's, classes and spoonfed content, that leads you around in a linear world. Most want a mmo that has freedom and the abiltiy to make their own choices, either good or bad and have consequences that go along with those choices.
    They want a deep and indepth crafting system where what a player makes is better than some crap they get off some stupid end game boss or whatever. They want meaningful pvp, where land, cities and more can be won and lost.
    These things and more is what mmo's like Darkfall is all about. i still don't understand why this game has all the cookie cutter mmo fanbois coming out and bashing this game. If it comes out great, if it doesn't, then mmorpg will take it off it's list and replace it with another up and coming game.
    I'm persoanlly not waiting just for this mmo to come out. There is other's like, Mortal online, Earthrise, Crusades online, APB, Glogal Agenda, Fallen Earth, Divergence and stargate worlds. Most are all open sandbox games that rely on skill systems than dumbass lvl's.
    So for all the people that are attacking this mmo, you soon as well attack every other mmo that is an open sandbox game as well. It will just show how much games like WOW and the likes have warped and destroyed brain cells until common sense and smart thinking has been destroyed.

your right about that i am waiting for a game such as this, but i post because im amazed by how ignorant and unyielding  the fanbois are, to accept the facts that are layed out before them in perfect order. 

Offtopic: isnt mortal online being made by the same company as DF ? thats what  i hear.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Offtopic: isnt mortal online being made by the same company as DF ? thats what  i hear.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but to say mortal online is being made by same company is like a slap in the face to Star Vault.

They have a license for the Unreal 3 engine by Epic Games, to get such a license you must prove you have tons of financial backing. Epic Games will not release Unreal 3 to companies that are doomed to fail. It's 39483905483 steps further then Darkfall will ever hope to achieve.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

This is very well written and explain alot of the followers hype for Darkfall. Darkfall fills a empty space in the MMORPG genre. So many old MMORPG players of today dont have "their" kind of game available cause it dont exist. Darkfall will hopefully fill this spot and bring joy to all those thousands of players thats desperatly is seeking their kind of game.

And i fully agree that there will be way less ganking of lowbies in Darkfall compared to games like WoW and definetly AoC. Darkfall PvP have consequences, an alignment system and Darkfall is fully based arround PvP and have been so from starters so the game is first a PvP game and all features and alignment implemented is well thought out to make PvP balanced and enjoyable. Other MMORPG:s didnt do it this way.

Wether it is balanced and ejoyable is to be seen though.

Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by LordRelic It wont, its an open world pvp. just like lineage 2 (apart from the combat system)  This entire game will consist of ganking lowbies thats all you ever get out of any game with open world pvp. nothing new nothing special.

This is very well written and explain alot of the followers hype for Darkfall. Darkfall fills a empty space in the MMORPG genre. So many old MMORPG players of today dont have "their" kind of game available cause it dont exist. Darkfall will hopefully fill this spot and bring joy to all those thousands of players thats desperatly is seeking their kind of game.

Damn Aragon I think this is the first post I read from you that actually has intelligence in it. If I believe in this statement or not doesn't matter. Good Job.

BTW Darkfall's idea has always been to be a glorified ShadowBane, there is games out there already that follow this suit, you just want something new. These type of games are a rare breed of coarse because you can't get a decent subscriber base out of it. People who hate full loot is like 100 to 1.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by HashBrick

Damn Aragon I think this is the first post I read from you that actually has intelligence in it. If I believe in this statement or not doesn't matter. Good Job.

BTW Darkfall's idea has always been to be a glorified ShadowBane, there is games out there already that follow this suit, you just want something new. These type of games are a rare breed of coarse because you can't get a decent subscriber base out of it. People who hate full loot is like 100 to 1.

Well thank you. There always have to be a first. :P

Well thank you. There always have to be a first. :P

Have a pat on the back from me too Aragon. The reason yours is possibly one of the more intelligent posts on this thread is because you simply state facts without attempting to predict the future like so many other retards seem to love doing.

The reason quite a few people are getting excited about Darkfall is NOT because they think the game will be a success but rather because the ideas behind it are great. What it OFFERS is pretty much an online gamers wet dream. The yaysayers and the naysayers can shout about how it will fail or succeed but as no-one knows about its state of progress their opinions are irrelevant.

Then wtf is the point of playing  "hey i just made my first character and look im already leet and can beat anyone yay" stupid stuff.  Your point is ignorant, ganking lowbies can be anything ie a toon thats not as  developed a toon that is low lvl, a toon that has not been in the world as long as the kid who is on summer vacation and plays 24 hours a day.  My point is justified   and as for  UO being what you say it is I call BS!!!

thats like saying mario for the nintendo is the most complicated game ever... i dont dought that it is fun for some, but to make a statment like that is just fubar

LordRelic.....you dont get it do you. The game doesnt have levels but you do have skills that improve as you use them. No-one will know anything about your character apart from what they can actually see on your Avatar as those skills are not on display for others to see. How are you supposed to gank the less well developed characters when you have no way of knowing anything about them?

So your point is not justified at all. Go and read about the ideas in the game before posting useless uninformed nonsense on this thread.

Originally posted by neonwire
    Originally posted by LordRelic It wont, its an open world pvp. just like lineage 2 (apart from the combat system)  This entire game will consist of ganking lowbies thats all you ever get out of any game with open world pvp. nothing new nothing special.

LordRelic.....you dont get it do you. The game doesnt have levels but you do have skills that improve as you use them. No-one will know anything about your character apart from what they can actually see on your Avatar as those skills are not on display for others to see. How are you supposed to gank the less well developed characters when you have no way of knowing anything about them?

So your point is not justified at all. Go and read about the ideas in the game before posting useless uninformed nonsense on this thread.

You don't need character levels to figure out what player is what. Starting zones for one or specific areas where new players will be. This only follows ganking, but other wise you would be correct. It will make it harder but not impossible, probably will be able to distinguished between the gear as well. There will be ways, always is.

Originally posted by neonwire

You don't need character levels to figure out what player is what. Starting zones for one or specific areas where new players will be. This only follows ganking, but other wise you would be correct. It will make it harder but not impossible, probably will be able to distinguished between the gear as well. There will be ways, always is.

Yeah that is indeed a fair point. I suppose gangs of skilled players could hang around starting areas and wait for new players to arrive. The problem with that is that we dont know anything about how Darkfall will handle that yet. What if there are no specific starting areas? Players might be able to start from a large variety of different places. What if starting areas are protected by guards (which I'm sure they will be)? You are also forgetting that an alignment system is being implemented so players that continually ruin other players fun will be hated by all the "civil" npcs in the game. Its gonna be pretty hard to harrass new players when the gankers cant even get near the starting areas due to armies of npcs wanting to kill them on sight.

Basicly from the looks of it Darkfall will make it so difficult and boring to be a dedicated ganker that they will either (1) give up and play the game properly which would actually be more fun and involving or (2) go and gank people in some other more mainstream and less intelligent game.

Also dont forget that every time a ganker picks on a player they are running the risk of attacking someone who is in fact NOT a beginning character at all. Whats to stop a more advanced player from simply disguising themselves as a "noob", logging out at a known starting area and then logging back in therefore making it look like they are a new player? The ganker may very well get their arses handed to them on a plate and have all of their fine quality equipment taken from them as punishment. On top of that, the ganker would be classed as a criminal so the "victim" might even get a reward for slaying the scum. Oh what a joyful feeling that would be :)