Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What set Hellgate apart from the others..

WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Weapon customization and upgrades.

Absolutely loved upgrading my weapons, switching in mods as I saw fit and such. Rarely had to get a new weapon just kept upgrading the one I had.

More games should allow this sort of customization imo

Comments

• rev_lazarorev_lazaro Member Posts: 270

I also like the fact that when you add the mod parts to your weapons, you can actually see the upgrade like the scopes and clips, etc on guns.

I think another thing that sets this game apart from the others is just the fact that there's so many different ways to play the game. I like that playing a Marksman is very different from a Templar, and that with the latest skill updates you can play the same class twice and get two very different builds that are played in two very different ways.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by Drukstylz

The fact that its crap sets it apart. Oh wait, it has to share with age of conan.

Obviously you have't a clue but we forgive you.

Originally posted by Drukstylz

The fact that its crap sets it apart. Oh wait, it has to share with age of conan.

I'm certain the twitch based controls, concepts like dodging attacks and ducking for cover probably confuse the minds of most Runescape players. It's okay, when you grow up and stop picking fights in video game forums, I'm sure you'll be OK.

Back on topic,

Another thing that I think really sets this game apart is the fact they've been doing a good job with the shooter/RPG hybrid aspect. Last night I decided to break down and give the grenades another chance since I haven't used them since before the Marksman update...1 point in that skill totally beefed my tactics up. Bounce them off the walls, around corners, straight into an incoming mob's face when they lunge at me....nice boom boom, nice gibs flying around me in flames.

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Originally posted by rev_lazaro
    I'm certain the twitch based controls, concepts like dodging attacks and ducking for cover probably confuse the minds of most Runescape players. It's okay, when you grow up and stop picking fights in video game forums, I'm sure you'll be OK.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...got...to...control...myself...this...is...MMO...

How's the grouping in the game, FPS like or the MMO type? I saw grenade label on a uploaded photo, and that in a MMO is as foreign as Beef Wellington served on china. But if the grenade can explode in my hand waiting for ANYBODY WARM BLOODED TO SHOW UP, what's the point of fragging?

BUT, if grouping is showing up for a frag fest...calm my beating heart!

Not sure if I totally understood what you were asking, but I'll give it a shot:

What is the grouping like? MMO-esque. Instead of towns you have subway stations across London that the resistance hides out in. Think like outposts in Guild Wars...this is the "social" areas with all the players running around, talking to merchants, getting quests and forming groups.

The rest of the game is instanced based, also like Guild Wars but the maps are randomly thrown together like Diablo, so you'll never encounter the exact same spawn pattern. You can walk into a zone one day and get surrounded by zombies, come back later and there's a lot of demons.

So ya group up, slaughter monsters, share XP and pick up the loot monsters drop.

Just instead of typical hotkey spamming, it's more twitched based. You swing your sword, shoot the guns FPS style (although you can scroll out in 3rd person mode), etc. It's not as detailed as an FPS in terms of hit location, and every shot is pretty much a "die roll" but it's nice diving behind a wall to avoid the spells being blasted at you.

The grenade is technically a skill, not an item...you have it on a skill tree for the Marksmen class and it can level up and it depends on accuracy etc. RPG banter. But when you throw it, its distance depends on the angle your aiming, it'll bounce off walls and detonates on a timer or impact of a mob.

So there's a degree of realism in the sense of, for example, I know there's a monster around the corner, so I lob a grenade on the wall, it bounces around and blows up the enemy. It's MMO'ish in terms it's still a "power" based attack, takes away from my energy pool, and can bounce off surfaces but explode on impact when I chunk it in a mobs face.

But I'm not playing Hellgate for COD4 physics or Pen and Paper detailed crunch; I'm playing because it's hordes of hell and me showering them with auto fire or blasting them with my awesome spells or slicing them with my big ass neon-techno magic swords.

MMOish. And grenades aren't grenades. :(

Oh, well. Thought for a moment I could get some FPS style action in a MMO world (massive, without all the chitchat, and socializing with basement geeks..."I rulez from my pimpin' guild! We gets all the l00tz together. Soooo l33t" [if individual stats were broken down, the loser would've killed 1000 NPCs by himself only (rats)-- 2 years playing. But he got his epics, as his guild and raid of 24 players held his hand to get them]).

Hopefully, there will be a day a true FPS MMO will come out. Real grenades; real bullets; real comprehesive INDIVIDUAL stats; and no spells and "energies".

It still plays like a shooter. It's not the hot key spamming, turn-based WoW stuff. Sorry if HG isn't realistic enough for ya...and yeah, I agree there needs to be some more MMOFPS's out on the market. 

But to be fair it's a freaking game about a post apocalyptic future where the denizens of Hell showed up and caused a ruckus; also it's still an emphasis as a zombie smasher and Diablo-esque gameplay in its marketing and design.

So, yeah, if you were looking for realism and no magic/fantasy stuff, maybe WWII Online?

Heard WWII online was buggy. And isn't it turn based? Looked good by it's descriptions, but I've been burned too many times by the front door hype (EQII being the latest).

Just want to use a weapon, not spam spells and wait for groups all night. Get in, do the job (feel good at some personal achievement than grinding some stat), in a massive world. Be it shooting up the enemy, to lobbing grenades to stop an invasion trying to take the fort. Something, anything, than chit chatting about hair, dates, beer and girls while waiting for some group to form up. Tactical, infiltration, invasion, support...just no more of the WoW MMOing.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

UNAT you should try planetside, best fps out there if you were to ask me. I reactivated not long ago and I still love it.

You don't have to wait for groups or anything, just log in, see where the battle's at, haul ass, and do your thing. Not even really level based, your useful from the moment you create your character which is one thign I loved. Plenty of roles your character can adapt  as well, hacking, stealth, infantry, anti-vehicle..you name it.

Absolutely loooved taking bases/continents. Hellgate is more of an rpg though it has a pretty nice shooter aspect to it.

Edit: Forgot to add, the whole game is one world, no instances, and control over the continents is always changing.

Well if it's of any merit....Hellgate, while not the game you're wanting, is still more of an action FPS-esque game than WoW. It may still have spells and levels and skill trees, but you're still controlling every sword swing, gunshot, grenade toss based on your reaction time and clicking the mouse.

Yeah, it's doing a dice roll for every bullet shot. But I have a gun that fires 600 shots a min; it's not a hotkey spam, it's holding the trigger. Targeting isn't who I have selected, it's freaking aiming the cross hairs at the target. If he moves out of the way, I'm not hitting him.

If you're still curious, I recommend either Youtube vids or downloading the demo yourself.

But if it's not your cup of tea, that's perfectly cool.

You just might wanna try a different forum then for the game you are looking for, whatever that may be. Who knows...maybe modern tech isn't ready to handle the MMO-scale FPS like you want. Maybe COD4 and BF2 is the closest we can get.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

What sets Hellgate apart for me ... the option for permadeath.  The hardcore mode (which is just an option, not a requirement) requires you to play like it's 'real".  Death becomes a big deal since you lose your character permanently if you die.  

Combine permadeath with (1) no radar screen, (2) close terrain with lots of visual obstructions, (3) dark shadows everywhere, (4) scary looking creatures, and (5) an AI that is smart enough to have some creatures hide in shadows and circle around to sneak up behind you.  Now you have a combination that produces genuine FEAR.  That's what I play for.  Even with the optional subscription fee, playing Hellgate is cheaper than renting horror movies and is completely interactive.