Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Q&A With Jorgen Tharaldsen

2»

Comments

• RetradRetrad Member UncommonPosts: 274

Originally posted by Leucent

Originally posted by JK-Kanosi

I noticed Funcom didn't answer the question about how many people can be in a particular instance. We wanted concrete numbers, not some artificial statement. Okay, so obviously some zones will be able to handle more than others, so why not give us an "as low as..." and an "as high as..." figure for instance loads. I personally don't care if they use instances, but it does matter how many are allowed in an instance. If it is as much as 1,500-3000 per instance, than we aren't experiencing any negatives for them using instances. However, if the figure is around 100-500 per instance, than we are suffering as a community. Companies need to be pushing the envelope with the amount of people per server in one area, without performance problems, not going backwards with the amount of population allowed in one area.
    If MMORPGs aren't ready for thousands of people to play in one server without performance issues, then the developers need to use lower graphics.
    The fact that they dodged the concrete numbers question and a couple other questions doesn't look well for Funcom in my book.

Oh crap fanbois inc. I agree though. Pixels over gameplay to me anyways isn t a great idea. Going with the higher graphic detail looks good, but means this sorta thing happens. I prefer seeing alot of people and i mean ALOT in an area. I also like a challenge of fighting over mobs especially in a FFA pvp situation, gives more meaning to the pvp if anything else. Must be my time in FFXI fighting over NMs and SB fighting for spawns for runes etc, I actually liked it :)

50 people per instance.

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881

Originally posted by Torvac

Originally posted by Stradden

Recently, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to send eight questions over to Jorgen Tharaldsen at Funcom. In those questions, Tharaldsen addresses instances, CS and more.

Some members are complaining that dealing with customer support has been frustrating, and help comes late and sometimes not at all. Can you speak to this?
    Jorgen Tharaldsen
    We have been known to give some of the best customer services in the MMO industry for years, and while we are striving to meet the same standards for Age of Conan as soon as possible we are not there yet. The reason for this is naturally the sheer amount of people who is playing the game right now, and while we staffed up significantly for the Conan launch it wasn't enough for what we are now facing. We are actively staffing up as fast as we can in order to reduce the waiting times, and get back to our standard of being among the best, which is always our goal.

Check out the whole Q&A here.

hmm more lies , "known to give best customer service" ? funcon is known to give the worst customer service in and out of its games for a long time. the only thing they are quick with is censoring their forum.

As a 5 yr Anarchy online customer I can confirm that their customer service has always been the worst by far of any MMO, Tharaldsen straight up lied. Apparently their strong suit is PR & Spin Control.

I am losing a great deal of respect for FunCom and its continued AoC debacle. Five years of my Fanboi-ing shot to hell into under a month. They keep this kinda out-and-out lying and dis-information they'll soon by as hated as in the MMO world as SOE.

A  link to this interview was posted on the Official Age of Conan forums with the quote "We have been known to give some of the best customer services in the MMO industry for years " highlighted. The forums mods INSTANTLY re-labled it "off topic" and buried it in the least read section of the forums.

• Ginfress02Ginfress02 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Unfinished

Recently, MMORPG.com Managing Editor Jon Wood had the opportunity to send eight questions over to Jorgen Tharaldsen at Funcom. In those questions, Tharaldsen addresses instances, CS and more.

Some members are complaining that dealing with customer support has been frustrating, and help comes late and sometimes not at all. Can you speak to this?
    Jorgen Tharaldsen
    We have been known to give some of the best customer services in the MMO industry for years, and while we are striving to meet the same standards for Age of Conan as soon as possible we are not there yet. The reason for this is naturally the sheer amount of people who is playing the game right now, and while we staffed up significantly for the Conan launch it wasn't enough for what we are now facing. We are actively staffing up as fast as we can in order to reduce the waiting times, and get back to our standard of being among the best, which is always our goal.

hmm more lies , "known to give best customer service" ? funcon is known to give the worst customer service in and out of its games for a long time. the only thing they are quick with is censoring their forum.

As a 5 yr Anarchy online customer I can confirm that their customer service has always been the worst by far of any MMO, Tharaldsen straight up lied. Apparently their strong suit is PR & Spin Control.

I am losing a great deal of respect for FunCom and its continued AoC debacle. Five years of my Fanboi-ing shot to hell into under a month. They keep this kinda out-and-out lying and dis-information they'll soon by as hated as in the MMO world as SOE.

Isn't that the same guy who stated "There won't be any camping in Shadowlands?

• TorvacTorvac Member UncommonPosts: 135

Originally posted by Ginfress02

Jorgen Tharaldsen

that was gaute goudager or something, cant rember the exact name. spreading lies is a company feat at FC HQ

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503

Chyeah... More BS. Make everything sound cheery when in reality the game is a bug-riddled P.o.S. severely lacking content, crap performance on a wide array of systems, PvP doesn't even work well and their gripes about PVP are endless with people saying it's not what they hoped it would be.

Let's not even go into their customer service, game policies (blanket banning players for stupid holes in their game that they want to call "exploits"), downtime, etc... I could go on and on.

This game won't keep half of it's initial buys past the first month. They better keep locking and deleting threads left and right on the official forums so everyone that's oblivious to how shit the game is doesn't get depressed.

• graillgraill Member Posts: 257

to save your sanity, give the BBB a whirl. and remember one unanswered incident per ticket please.

i know funcom will appreciate it.................

can you smell that?!!...............there is nothing quite like it.....................the smell of troll in the morning............i love that smell.

• craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255

hmm...

i played 2 weeks beta, a few days early acess and im playing since launch now.

im more of an "after work player" then a "hardcore gamer" and i have to say im absolutely in love with the game. i have a 56lvl assasin and a 29lvl ranger so far.

yes, i deleted some quest where i tought they had bugs

yes, i stopped progressing in  my crafting when cotton didnt work

yes, i would have loved dialog on everey quest like those in the 1-20...

but hey, i payed 30euros for what, 200hours of fun and content till now and i feel i have seen only half of it.

i believe the launch was a bit to early but 2 month later and they would have had a more strict competition with warhammer.

ps.: my treshhold towards grinding may be a bit low since i played 4 years of lineage2 bevore conan but i still think that the devs did a incredible job

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

• TwillTwill Member Posts: 1

I had so high expectations of this game. I mean like so many we waited for so long for this game to come out and all the promises from Funcom. Well after having played it since launch I must say it seems to me that the game with its huge errors in game mechanics, user interface, chat system, lack of content... well it clearly wasn't ready for launch. Bugs, yeah we all expect them to be there with a game this size, but many of these errors/flaws and lack of content had to have been apparant to Funcom.

I think the responses Tharaldsen gave is just leading us around by the nose and nothing substantial at all. Best customer service? Jesus they hardly even respond to players or their own community. They have to deliver big if I'm to continue playing this after my first month. No I predict this game will loose much of it's player mass and a MMO without player mass just doesn't cut it. I blame Funcom. They should have delayed the game so that the product was more complete in respect to game mechanics, user interface, chat system not to mention content for the players 50+. I just feel like I got ripped off.

• FaoiteFaoite Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by impulsebooks

....we estimate that load will go down in the future...

I think this might be prophetic.

Lol, quality catch!

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Funcom is unwilling to address the real problem here, which is that they released a feature and content incomplete game.  This incomplete game also came filled with bugs and issues that should have never made it past any sort of real beta program.  Let me be clear.  I am not talking about the normal MMO launch bugs we are used to seeing at launch.  I'm talking stupid, game breaking bugs that had to be looked over in the interest of meeting the launch date.  No one who is pissed off about the game is unrealistic about a "normal" number of launch bugs, but what's going on with AoC is much worse.
    I'm one of those people who followed this game for the last two of it's five plus years of development.  I had every interest in seeing it succeed, and I thought I would be playing it for *at least* two years.  Of course, I have seen enough hyped MMO's to know that most of them turn out to be garbage when they go gold, but still I was deeply disappointed when I finally bought the game and played it. I won't reiterate all of the issues the game has right now, because I know there are enough posts about this online already to sink a large ship (and probably an MMO). Needless to say, I have canceled my subscription and uninstalled the game.
    The bugs, incomplete game client elements and missing content aside, the game turned out to be something other than an MMO in my opinion.  No matter what Funcom's official reason is for all the instancing and small zones is, it fails.  Anyone here who has played a few MMO's know that Funcom should have ever tried to use instancing as an excuse for having only one starting area in the game, and for keeping most of the questing areas so small that even sharing them with ONE other person can cause your quest to take too long and become mind numbingly boring.   They should have know better than to build a game world that makes you feel like you are on rails, rather than a free roaming explorer.  While I did enjoy the combat, the game feels lifeless and devoid of activity to me.
    Lastly, I have to laugh at this article, because my single greatest gripe about this whole fiasco was how easily it would be for ONE person at Funcom to post some information to the official forums about what the hell is going on.  I'm talking about *detailed* information explaining what issues they are aware of and what  is being worked on currently.  There is no excuse for this SOE style ignoring of the player base.   Had they had the sack to come out and admit some faults and give us some details, I might even have kept the game installed.  Instead they have been ignoring us, and giving us nonspecific fluff information just like this useless article.
    Good luck to all of you who end up sticking it out with the game.  Even if this game is pulled out of the current nose dive, I cannot consider it an MMO because of the design choices.  I have no plans to return to the game unless some massive redesign of the game world is done.  I can only hope to find a new MMO to enjoy in the near future.

I couldn't agree with you more, I came out and suggested to community not to buy it , my xperience with funcom goes back to anarchy as-well. They didn't listen to us then and launch it, Now they have taken the Lore of Conan and abused it, thats what really got my me 

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

so i guess most of you arent playing AoC then?  I mean why would you pay for a game you dont think is very good?  Thats your business, but Im having fun with AoC.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Erm Mr. Wood, how come you didnt ask funcom, why is there nearly zero content from level 40 to 80???

RIP Orc Choppa

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I was one of the very unsatisfied players in first days. Coming from WOW and despite it's »cartoon« like graphics (which I love) ... I was expecting more from a new game with my current hardware which runs very smooth WoW at max settings. Ok, with LOTRO I also had to set to medium to have acceptable gameplay.

I have dual core, 2GB RAM, 3.3 processor, .... I met recommended requirement for hardware. Except for graphics. I had Ati Radeon HD 2400 PRO with 256MB RAM which I thought should suffice and exceed minimum requirement.

However AoC was unplayable for me. At very low setting (=ugly) I was getting acceptable 20fps. With high settings, only 3 (three!!!) fps, max. 4!

I was nearly ready to dump game, but I just wanted so badly to play AoC (after waiting so much and because of Conan lore) that I decided to risk and buy a new graphics card.

And ... wow ... what a difference! Replacing that trash of 2400 PRO (which maybe is ok for business use) with Bliss 9600GT (nVidia) with 512GB my FPS went strait from 3-4 in max resolution to standard 30 to 50fps!!! With all set manually even further to max. More then 10x increase just replacing graphics card! And there are even much better graphics cards on market. I have paid new card around 190€, while old is still priced around 90€ (at least in shop). So for roughly double money I got 10 times performance.

Now I can enjoy game at its best nearly without problems. Except that ones, that can be expected from new lunch. So I agree from most Funcom explanations.

I do not know for rest and I do not what will come after lv. 22, but for now I have Assassin lv. 22 and 7 alts between lv. 12 and 15. I like al lot to experiment with various classes.

In all this weeks since start of game, I have experienced only maybe 3 (minor, non important) bugs!!! Majority NPC's evading. Pretty standard thing in Wow. I really do not know about which bugs are you people talking. At least not up to lv. 22. However I do not participate in raids, I prefer solo and join forces only casually. So I do not know if there are present some other bugs. And, yes, I think instancing is simply great. And no more waiting 1 or 2 hours to get some object because there are 99 players in queue ready to jump at first sight of respawn of that object or mob.

Actually despite initial terrible impression (»thanks« to my graphics card), I now enjoy game, is well built, very stable, lag in high hours even in Old Tarantia is at acceptable level, I love destiny quests, near all others are also nice and interesting, response time from GM for the *start* was always in acceptable range of few hours (but also only 10 minutes), graphics at max are really joy for eyes, sound is decent,  I simply love (unfort only to lv. 20) voice acting while accepting new quests, .... I have not noted any relevant bugs (ok, I will pretend problem with traders did not happen ), ....

All in all, with GOOD hardware, start of AoC was by my opinion fluid above all expectations. At least in Europe.

AoC have a lot of strong points and things I like a lot... but there are also many negatives (hopefully some will be fixed while others unfortunately are »by design«):

-       Funcom does not guarantee alts will be preserved if player discontinue subscription and renew after some time?! Are they kidding??? However note, they do not say something “will happen” to characters in case of cancellation of subscription, they only said (in booklet that comes with DVD), that they “despite best efforts and … blah … blah … blah … can not guarantee ….”. But even this is too much! So, if will happen after few months I will lose interest and will want to wait i.e. few next months to some upgrade ... I will have to PAY all that time if I want **guarantee** my characters will be still there when I continue to play? Even if they reach multiplied number wow base of players, this should not be problem from perspective of space on server, backing up data, … so this is cheap way to suck more money from players even after they will stop to play for some time (or more likely for ever).

-       Only 8 possible alts!? I like to experiment with all classes ... here I can try only part of combinations (or delete some which is not an option after some level as is even less an option to purchase another copy of game!)

-       all races have same(!) starting line of quests; however different classes have a little different versions of same destiny quest chain and this is lovely (i.e. warrior will free Arias from isle, rogue will run to help him after that event, priest will bring him potion after has been helped by rogue, …)

-      program do not have logoff(!); one must quit or wait 30 secs for camping ... and still has then to enter password

-       When selling to NPC’s player must explicitly click sell button! No double-click! No button “sell all”, lock items, ....

-      no option for automatically loot all (always must click confirmation button after clicking with mouse for loot; holding shift is not eq one-click loot)

-    one have to wait until lv. 40 for crafting and gathering??

Among other things I miss »ghost walking« to corpse (like in wow). Is REALY REALY boring to fight over and over same 999 mobs that have respawned in meantime (i.e. in caves with snakes and scorpions).

And when Lich king comes I will again dedicate all my time to WoW.  But up to then after trying all possible MMORPG I was able to get trial or buy cheap in past 2 or 3 months .... AoC is by far the best (and LOTRO second).

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by arctarus

Erm Mr. Wood, how come you didnt ask funcom, why is there nearly zero content from level 40 to 80???

Because, quite obviously, the Q&A wasn't about content. It's about CS and performance.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• DeciKabaDeciKaba Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Xasapis

AO launch vibe? The game runs perfectly for the majority and servers are rock stable. Not sure what you mean with that.

CS. It sucked from day one in AO and barely rose above rubbish

• SavilzSavilz Member UncommonPosts: 53

I have not found alot of bugs where I could not bare with since the game is fairly new.  It's ok to give them time to fix it, you can't expect things to be perfect.  However one thing that's been bugging me from day one is the class balance and even the level balance.

I have never played a game where two Assasin can't even take on a char of any kind (same level and health condition).  Some class are just way over power.

And what the hell is up with a level 50 being gank by two level 30.   They shouldnt' even be able to hit for you for hard enought to drop you that fast.  I was a level 50 Assasin and a lvl 34 Ranger was able to kill me in 4 combos, between the stealth attack in suprise and the snare I was not able to move before dropping dead.  That's 16 level different and I couldnt' even get near the guy let alone put up a fight.  How can an assasin have no CC skill at all what so ever.  Lol I guess it turned out to be more of a Fix my Assasin flame then anything.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Originally posted by arctarus

Because, quite obviously, the Q&A wasn't about content. It's about CS and performance.

Yep, becuase content is meaningless right?

Who needs content! Pfft..

---

Originally posted by Ginfress02

Jorgen Tharaldsen

that was gaute goudager or something, cant rember the exact name. spreading lies is a company feat at FC HQ

Yes that is a Gaute Godager quote, he put out the buggy / incomplete POS that is the Shadowlands expansion.  A sad atempt to change the direction to fantasy, as well as trying to add "WoW' like content, questing, rep grinding, zone atunements, most of wich was nerfed in 6 months due to player out-cry.

It took them 2 years to patch its the biggest flaws. No coincidence he is the head Dev for Age of Conan. FunCom supposedly has one more MMO in the pipe, with supposedly 4+ years in development already. If Gaute is Lead Dev on that it'll be another giant mess as well.  Gawd I am really starting to hate FC.

• Should have asked him when people can expect to play via buddy keys... because no way will I buy another MMO if I can't at least have a look at it before.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I just love how he tries to day it has been one of the most solid launch, if not the most solid launch in MMO history.

I hope AoC does well, the market needs it. But if FC truly feels they had one of the best, if not THE best launch ever then there really is no hope.

• KelldoreKelldore Member Posts: 45

IMO and experience FUNCOM has greatly improved the overall smoothness and gameplay in the game compared to the Beta event that i was in, but in the interview itself they managed to evade every single question with a vague statement, and as for good customer service.... ..right.... the day that happens is the day i resub for SWG.

• DarterDarter Member Posts: 57

Lack of prompt customer service due to volume of petitions?  How does that explain being number one in queue and waiting for 5 hours with no response? 

Author of the Amazon kindle book, The Clan and the Crown