Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

age of conan succeeds as a game but fails as an mmo

the good thing about age of conan is as a co operative roll playing experiance its pretty good .i ve enjoyed playing it thus far but i m starting to see its faults as an mmo

the problem is that the game does nt feel immersive . this is really down to the liberal use of instancing . you essentially feel like your playing a game rather than taking part in a virtual world . which for an mmo is a big problem ,

i cant speak for everyone but i think the majority of mmo players want a free roaming world with some instancing .

the other way it fails as an mmo is that its not what most people would call acceptably playable on anything much less than a pc that close to the recomended specs . these really should be the required specs in my view. dont let the flamers fool you saying how well it runs on thier 8800 gts 2 ghz ram pentiuim dc 3 ghz pc .

it ll play but you will find it a frustrating experiance espeacially in the citys . ( whats the bets now someone tell me to turn off bloom , get the latest patch . turn off programs in the background , check for spyware , reduce the view distance , defragg twice a week etc etc ) . truth is these comments come form people who are just repeating parrot fashion what they see in other posts and dont actually know a lot more about computers than you do .

conan does not play well on a mid range system .

fortunatly for me i have higher spec gaming rig which it does play on :) its been fun but i dont think its for me . i like mmos not games that describe themselves as an mmo but have such limits in them as conan does .

worth a play but not a stay

Comments

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756

It all depends on what you want I guess.

The definition of a MMO is basically many people online logged in at the same time or some such.

The game does have excellent combat in it and that's a draw for me but I like both dungeon crawling and exploring lore in my video games.

I'm neutral on the instancing I would gather or at least can tolerate it. 

However I would add instancing has the potential of freeing up MOBs so people can get their quest done while non instancing while being immersive due to not as much loading can actually be un-immersive. (when you get to your evil plotter of destruction the villian is nowhere to be found cause they still have to spawn) This can happen in both scenarios however but with instancing you at least have a shot to avoid it. 

On the system specs side:

AMD 64 X2 4200+ / 3GB RAM PC3200 Corsair / 320 GB PATA 7200rpm Hard Drive / ATI X1900GT 256 MB / X-Fi Xtremegamer Sound Card / Windows Media Center SP 3

Low textures, no bloom, no AA, no AF, 3.0 shaders, 1440 * 900 res (Lower frames with lower shaders so moved it up to 3.0)

The results here were in Tortage.

With the retail client I'm hitting 30's frames outside at high and 80's inside while hitting a low of 18 outside and 40 in.  I average a 20's frames over all outside and 70's inside.

I'm now level 25 since then and when I hit the city in Aqualonia I dipped down to 14 dps but I still recieve the 20's fps average otherwise. 

That may or may not be playable to some but that's my results anyway.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• treysmoothtreysmooth Member UncommonPosts: 648

I actually canceled yesterday but I can tell you it had nothing with how the game runs.  I'd consider my system mid range as most of it is a couple years old and it ran great for me.  Instancing was kinda a problem for me as I played, not game breaking but you're right it doesn't feel like a mmo.

Anyway here's my specs and my FPS in various situations, I ran the game on stock high with full shadows and no AA.

Opteron 185 duel core, 2 gigs OCZ DDR 400 platinum series, Abit Fatality AN8X32, 8800gt OC G92

Like I said I ran on stock high settings with full shadows and got a solid 35 to 65 fps in wild, 20 to 40 in towns and 100 to 160 in dungeons.  The game is a technical miracle if you ask me. 

The game is an amazing single player game but runs out of steam for most the further you go, my opinion of course.  The first 30 lvls is great then the same old same old kicks in and you never really feel connected to your location in the world since you are teleported everywhere to city hubs.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

Yeah I remember back when I use to watch Fippy Darkpaw storm qyenos gates every 8.2 minutes...I would watch that and say...damn that's immersive as hell.

Or  each time I walk up to the Anime Stripper in WoW..she gives me these quest that are written on a Third grade level and break down to go waste X amount of time killing X or Collecting Y....it's like I am in Azeroth man.

MMO's aren't Immersive that is the problem..they are static, you live in a groundhog day scenario and nothing you do ultimately matters. it can't, because 10 million people can't be special. AoC has taken a step towards the ultimate evolution of MMO's to Online Role Playing games. ORPG, can blur the lines a bit more by using instancing in the way Funcom has...you can have your social interaction, but for times when the world needs to stop and make Johnny Subscriber feel like a hero…. well you need to have instancing for that.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Call me crazy but I actually feel more immersed in AoC than any other MMO I've played, and I've played very many of them... all AAA and more. I read/listen and think about all the quest lines, maybe that's what others are missing? I don't know, but I still say AoC is the best MMO I've played.

And yes, the game runs like a dream with my 4GB 3Ghz 2900xt computer at mid-high settings.

lvl 29 and loving it.

Originally posted by todeswulf

ORPG, can blur the lines a bit more by using instancing in the way Funcom has...you can have your social interaction, but for times when the world needs to stop and make Johnny Subscriber feel like a hero…. well you need to have instancing for that.

In some stories the path of the hero is a long one, full of suffering, sacrifice, and in the end a lonely one.  Would a hero fighting for the people they care about want others to face that with them?  Would they want them to get hurt?

Where was James Kirk when he died?  Well when he was supposed to have the first time.

What did Neo have to do to halt the machines?  Who suffered when they were with him?

How often does Spider Man team up? The Hulk?

Maybe the hero doesn't feel like one and is just in the world for themself.  Wouldn't make sense to have around much in that case. 

You can counter me with LOTR/D&D scenarios but just bringing up other scenarios.

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• link35link35 Member Posts: 133

i honestly dont see how you find it unimmersive, and your opinion doesnt make it fail as an mmo so please dont act as if it were a fact

• onlinenow225onlinenow225 Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by link35

i honestly dont see how you find it unimmersive, and your opinion doesnt make it fail as an mmo so please dont act as if it were a fact
    Yes it is fact that it fails as an MMORPG.  Why? Becuase you can have no more than 96 people in one area at one time, and thats only when ever Guild vrs Guild battles start.

Now you can go on and say that each instances has 100 people it at one time.  Count how many instances are in that zone.  Do you really think 3000 people are in one zone? 

This game maybe a great rpg but it is infact not an mmo.  Limited people can play together, mmorpgs were defined as an unlimited amount of people being able to play together anywere anytime.  AoC only allows max 40 to 50 people per instance of a zone.  (unless GvG when ever that comes... they are banning guild leaders that have already made t1 cities)

So please stop with the fanboism.  Hes not calling you fat, hes saying a fact about the game.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

Originally posted by onlinenow225

Yes it is fact that it fails as an MMORPG.  Why? Becuase you can have no more than 96 people in one area at one time, and thats only when ever Guild vrs Guild battles start.

Now you can go on and say that each instances has 100 people it at one time.  Count how many instances are in that zone.  Do you really think 3000 people are in one zone? 

This game maybe a great rpg but it is infact not an mmo.  Limited people can play together, mmorpgs were defined as an unlimited amount of people being able to play together anywere anytime.  AoC only allows max 40 to 50 people per instance of a zone.  (unless GvG when ever that comes... they are banning guild leaders that have already made t1 cities)

So please stop with the fanboism.  Hes not calling you fat, hes saying a fact about the game.

Seriously, the player instance limit isn't a big deal... Do you play with even 200 people in your immediate area on a regular basis in any other MMO? Is it an enjoyable experience? Very doubtful from the tremendous lag. Every MMO has it's limits on how many people can be in an area. They may not publicise them, but they do. Here's an experiment for you... walk around every place in whatever MMO you play and tell me the average amount of players you come across among each zone/area. I would guess that the max you might have is 100 in cities... and maybe 10-20 everywhere else. Maybe it would have been better for Funcom to keep the numbers secret so people wouldn't have another inane reason to complain.
  • EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

its his opinion.  People really need to start respecting other's opinion around here (goes for boththe fanbois and the haters)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by onlinenow225

*whistles*

That would be quite impossible given current technology. (Edit:) Well affordably maybe anyway. (End Edit)  Why do you think only only a certain amount can be on a server at a time?  Most of these games have a limit before the server starts queueing anyway.  I don't know much about EVE but I'm sure even it has a limit.

Unless WoW can have 6 billion err 10 million people on one server and it's something I'm not aware of it.

That was a joke about the earth pop in case someone thinks I'm hating on WoW which I'm not)

You have people online at the same time.  You can group with them.  Chat with them.  Don't know what else more one could want out of basic functions.

Edit: grammar and quote reduction additional content

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by sandgrown

the good thing about age of conan is as a co operative roll playing experiance its pretty good .i ve enjoyed playing it thus far but i m starting to see its faults as an mmo
    the problem is that the game does nt feel immersive . this is really down to the liberal use of instancing . you essentially feel like your playing a game rather than taking part in a virtual world . which for an mmo is a big problem ,
    i cant speak for everyone but i think the majority of mmo players want a free roaming world with some instancing .
    the other way it fails as an mmo is that its not what most people would call acceptably playable on anything much less than a pc that close to the recomended specs . these really should be the required specs in my view. dont let the flamers fool you saying how well it runs on thier 8800 gts 2 ghz ram pentiuim dc 3 ghz pc .
    it ll play but you will find it a frustrating experiance espeacially in the citys . ( whats the bets now someone tell me to turn off bloom , get the latest patch . turn off programs in the background , check for spyware , reduce the view distance , defragg twice a week etc etc ) . truth is these comments come form people who are just repeating parrot fashion what they see in other posts and dont actually know a lot more about computers than you do .
    fortunatly for me i have higher spec gaming rig which it does play on :) its been fun but i dont think its for me . i like mmos not games that describe themselves as an mmo but have such limits in them as conan does .

I'll certainly agree with you about the technical requirements.  If you don't have a top end PC, be prepared for a slide show, even with the graphics turned down.  As for the rest of your comments...to each their own I guess.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

majority of the people who are still loving this game is because they are not above Level 40. we all love this game from 1-40. Its great its awesome until you hit lvl40 then you realise  alot of things are missing and broken. Everything feels so dead and lifeless.

• link35link35 Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Enigma

its his opinion.  People really need to start respecting other's opinion around here (goes for boththe fanbois and the haters)

i know its his opinion thats why i said not to state it as though it were a fact, i never said he didnt have a right to an opinion just that i didnt quite see how he got that opinion, and to onlinenow225 you are a sad sad thing, you actually believe your opinion is a fact when you are just one person out of billions in this world, seriously people notive why i say OPINION a lot i know they are that enigma thats why i say it a lot i'm not disrepecting their opinion only saying it doesnt make it a fact

• TakingthedayTakingtheday Member Posts: 80

I've seen plenty of people saying how the capped instance zones ruin this game, but I'm failing to see how. How exactly does it ruin the game so bad for people to know that they're not seeing the 200-300 people in whatever city, or leveling in the same zone? I mean maybe it's just me, but i don't understand how that ruins the experience or disqualifies AoC as an MMO. And instancing isn't the immersion killer, the true immersion killer is when you see a topless female character with the name deepthroat or the guild retard strength. MMO's lost their immersion a long time ago.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

It really is all about taste you know. It's either you like it or you don't really. People can nitpick all they want about AOC or anyother game but everyday when I log into AOC I see many people running around, grouping and having a great time. AOC is new, fun, different and I see no problem with that at all.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Nice thread title (QFT), I definately giggled quietly to myself.

As for everything else, I suppose everyone is entitled to thier own opinion.

STOP WHINING!

• paladinumpaladinum Member Posts: 120

yep thats what iv said already for a long time,,,aoc isnt a real mmo..but its an ok game...

• Zenix13Zenix13 Member UncommonPosts: 4

i 100% agree with you. the instancing just kills it for me. EVERYTHING is an instance. i am very disappointed, i was hoping for a new MMORPG to top the ones i have loved. Lineage 2 here i come, again...

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

It is his opinion, but he states it as pure fact.

I agree with one poster, I've found myself more immersed in this MMOG then I ever was in WoW or the myriad other MMOGs I've played.

And if you call any MMOG that uses instancing in it's zones, a non-MMOG, you have to cut out a whole bunch of games. Including City of Heroes/Villains. As it uses the exact same tech.

• GnazonGnazon Member Posts: 442

I agree with the OP, AoC is pretty good, and immersive but the mmo elements are seriously lacking in my opinion. The game just doesn't feel like a mmo with current chat system and terrible lfg. Yes I am in a guild, and see some players here and there but I definitely don't get that mmo feeling. For now I would give the rpg 80% and mmo 20%... and even that feels too generous.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

I agree. I don't know if I'll even play through the summer as I find it lacking the environmental persistence that I wanted.

-- Brede

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

The OP is a breath of fresh air around here. A solid post with no flaming. To the OP, sorry AoC didn't work out for you, hopefully something comes along that's what you want.

I don't think the problem is AoC running on low/mid range systems totally, I think it's certain low/mid range hardware. I have a buddy that plays on an old P4, a fairly old ATI card (cant remember the model but I remember it benchmarks near a NVidia 6 series), with a gig of DDR2 RAM. He has to crank everything to low, but he can amazingly play. I've seen people with better systems that can't get 2 FPS on low settings. I'm not sure what the variable is that makes it playable for some and not for others.

As far as immersion, AoC works for me just as well as any other MMO out there, that is to say, I haven't felt overly awe struck by a game in a while. AoC has impressed me and drawn me in, but, I think, like someone previously stated, the problem is MMOs stay static. I know it would be near impossible to create (Mortal Online is trying) a game that changes daily, but I would love to see quests where you need to go kill Mr. Baddy McBadguyson, and when you do, he's gone, his armies falter and all traces are eventually gone. Until someone, hopefully Mortal, makes that happen, I think I'll stick to AoC and try out WAR.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

QFT. The only people who really bug me around here are the people who try to push their opinions as truth.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Originally posted by skeaser

I have a buddy that plays on an old P4, a fairly old ATI card (cant remember the model but I remember it benchmarks near a NVidia 6 series), with a gig of DDR2 RAM.
    That would be the single hundreds X series of the Radeon cards.  An example would be the X600 or X800.  Mine is the X1900 series so I'm competing with the 7900 Geforce.  2xxx series competes with the 8xxx Geforce.  3xxx with the 9xxx Geforce series and so on and on so forth when they come out.

Just to +1 with keeping it Conan related I'm still going to play as long as the pros outweigh the cons.

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• WiccanCircleWiccanCircle Member Posts: 336

fortunatly for me i have higher spec gaming rig which it does play on :) its been fun but i dont think its for me ...
    So in other words you are full of  crap and are just parroting your political view of this fantastic game.

You don't actually know data about how this game runs on systems - you just have an agenda and if you notice, the only ones left here bitching are you losers that have agendas.  The rest of the million of us are playing a fun enjoyable game that is better than any other MMO out in the market today, period.

Game runs great on about a million systems so far - Go away,

People are enjoying this game better than the old, outdated games - Go away.

"The reality of the poor in America isn't the difference between The Haves and The Have Nots, it is the difference between The Haves and The Have Lots."