Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your one of a kind...

NemeralNemeral Member Posts: 42

While reading a post asking people about what to do when your internet goes off, some people mentionned reading (hobby that i do like alot) . People started mentionning about their favorite books...

Since i'm going for 75 days in Mali for a project of international cooperation this summer (i'm leaving in 9 days ! ), i will need some books to read when the sun begins to fade away.

So there it is, i am asking you : What is your one of a kind book, that you would recommend to everyone you know ?

It might be fantasy, novel, comic, even philosophy ! I'm just curious ! And WHO KNOWS, maybe i'll bring yours in Africa !

Mine is : The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying

-----------------------------
Playing : Nothing
Waiting for : Starwars old republic
Played : UO, WAR, Eve Online, SWG, GW, WoW, CoH/CoV, Rose Online, Lineage II, EQ II.

Comments

• DraenorDraenor Member UncommonPosts: 7,918

East of Eden is one of few novels that I have ever felt was worth reading

Your argument is like a two legged dog with an eating disorder...weak and unbalanced.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

I would have 2 one of a kind books http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Solitaire  Abbey has a lot to say in this book and most of it is spot on. Also it is quite funny.

And if you want to send a chill down your spine read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mothman_Prophecies This one will freak you out.

• bluberryhazebluberryhaze Member Posts: 1,702

this liberal, right here, would not be able to go anywhere without getting my opinion from the new york times.

get it delivered to africa. i hear they are pretty desperate for readership these days.

crime novels too. i dont have a favorite. im liberal, everything is equal. good and evil= equal

-I will subtlety invade your psyche-

• MuraisMurais Member UncommonPosts: 1,118

Originally posted by bluberryhaze

this liberal, right here, would not be able to go anywhere without getting my opinion from the new york times.
    get it delivered to africa. i hear they are pretty desperate for readership these days.
    crime novels too. i dont have a favorite. im liberal, everything is equal. good and evil= equal
        You're a really bad troll. Just wanted to say that.

As for myself, my one of a kind book, was Exile by R.A. Salvatore. I don't care if people hate on the man's success, but I still think he's a brilliant writer, and his introspective journal entries between each chapter are very enjoyable and insightful.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Anyway.. I don't have any all time favorites, but some that I've read recently that I liked were: The Stranger by Albert Camus, The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, and IT by Stephen King (probably his best horror novel, his Gunslinger saga is also good)

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

I totally recommend "The Great Derangement" by Micheal Taibbi, it's both hilarious and sad at the same time

Synopsis from Amazon.com:

Rolling Stone’s Matt Taibbi set out to describe the nature of George Bush’s America in the post-9/11 era and ended up vomiting demons in an evangelical church in Texas, riding the streets of Baghdad in an American convoy to nowhere, searching for phantom fighter jets in Congress, and falling into the rabbit hole of the 9/11 Truth Movement.

Matt discovered in his travels across the country that the resilient blue state/red state narrative of American politics had become irrelevant. A large and growing chunk of the American population was so turned off—or radicalized—by electoral chicanery, a spineless news media, and the increasingly blatant lies from our leaders (“they hate us for our freedom”) that they abandoned the political mainstream altogether. They joined what he calls The Great Derangement.

Taibbi tells the story of this new American madness by inserting himself into four defining American subcultures: The Military, where he finds himself mired in the grotesque black comedy of the American occupation of Iraq; The System, where he follows the money-slicked path of legislation in Congress; The Resistance, where he doubles as chief public antagonist and undercover member of the passionately bonkers 9/11 Truth Movement; and The Church, where he infiltrates a politically influential apocalyptic mega-ministry in Texas and enters the lives of its desperate congregants. Together these four interwoven adventures paint a portrait of a nation dangerously out of touch with reality and desperately searching for answers in all the wrong places.

Funny, smart, and a little bit heartbreaking, The Great Derangement is an audaciously reported, sobering, and illuminating portrait of America at the end of the Bush era.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by bluberryhaze

i dont have a favorite. im liberal, everything is equal. good and evil= equal

Speaking of evil... maybe you should read that Scott Mcclellan book too?

• fantarosfantaros Member Posts: 394

Originally posted by Zikiel

Anyway.. I don't have any all time favorites, but some that I've read recently that I liked were: The Stranger by Albert Camus
    I read that in french in an effort to brush up on my french. God i hated it, reading a book and using a dictionary every 2nd word sucks.

My favorites are Agatha Christie's mousetrap and who killed Akroyd (my spelling on the titles probably sucks, but i only have both in my native language).

• ZepeeZepee Member Posts: 947

I would recommend you the "His Dark Materials" trilogy... pretty exciting and interesting story and critique to society and religion.

Apart from that you might try:

Carter beats the Devil (just great and BIG... slow sometimes, but overall really cool)

Our Man in Havana (pretty interesting and HILARIOUS sometimes)

Cant think of anything else right now... But yea, that should keep you entertained for a couple of days :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Played- Runescape, Conquer
    Tested- EQ, RYL, Freeworld

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Make sure you bring a few Playboy mags. You might get awful bored with no internet... or women for that matter. With 75 days your wankbank will be truly depleted, you might have to rely on a few choice centrefolds.

O_o o_O

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, although it is written in the regional, Edinburgh dialect, and you might find it hard to read for the first few pages, until you get used to it.

On the sci-fantasy front, you cannot go wrong with George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series.  Great seriesof books to take with you on your travels, as the narrative is gripping enough to make you turn the page, no matter where you are reading them, and they are long enough to see you through the trip. 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

A few of my most favorite books:

The Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz

Lamb by Christopher Moore (its absolutely hilarious) and A Dirty Job was good too.

If you liked the harry potter books I'd recommend the Percy Jackson and the Olympians books. They're very good.

I also LOVED The MEG Series By Steve Alten.

If you don't have time for the whole series one of my most favorite books by Steve Alten was The Loch  he's really good.

Also Neil Gaimans Anansi Boys was good too.

I can keep going if you'd like.

• mike470mike470 General CorrespondentMember Posts: 2,396

Sherlock Holmes..

• NemeralNemeral Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by Bigdavo

Make sure you bring a few Playboy mags. You might get awful bored with no internet... or women for that matter. With 75 days your wankbank will be truly depleted, you might have to rely on a few choice centrefolds.

Thanks alot to everyone who suggested me something ! I'll do some research on those books and see which one i want to read !

-----------------------------
    Playing : Nothing
    Waiting for : Starwars old republic
    Played : UO, WAR, Eve Online, SWG, GW, WoW, CoH/CoV, Rose Online, Lineage II, EQ II.