Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Beta Concerns Q&A

123457»

Comments

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

You must have only played LoTRO and DAoC. Either that or are not very observant when it comes to problems. Trying to think what else....nope can't off hand

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

You know what actually had great promise for a seamless world. Big World severs with Mafate engine, if you looked beyond the instability and the lack of a game that was some interesting technology. (for those that dont know D&L)

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by araczynski

i'm not sure if i got the point of your post, other than that you need to take some calgon (sp?) ;)  as for the open beta experience in aoc, you seem to think that because the vocal minority is spewing doom&gloom then that speaks exclusively on the state of the client.  which is a joke, the ones that aren't having problem are buys enjoying the game and not dry humping the forums and bitching.

by your logic, if i had issues with my aoc client, then i should just assume that aoc sucks crap for me and everyone under the sun and will bomb as soon as it gets released?

then by the same logic, since my aoc client is running smooths as butter and i'm having a blast, then aoc will have a brilliant launch and is the second coming.

or maybe i'm just not getting what you're talking about at all.

either way, there's no such thing as a bug free game release.  especially with mmo's.  some people will have issues, some people won't.

funny thing is that i've always been building my own computers, and i've NEVER had a single problem with any mmo i've ever played, and i've always played the clients from opening day, when there would be an abundance of issues.  but by the same token i'm sure there's people out there that have had nothing BUT problems on every client.  can't put all the blame on the software all the time, there's plenty of people that are either stupid and don't know what they're doing with their computers, or have overlooked something accientally and either don't want to look for it or don't know TO look for it and just assume it's not their problem.

No offense ,as i am sure you meant none to the people pointing out the client instability in the aoc OB,  however even Funcom staff adimit that the client in unstable .  I would point out that one  AOC staff member has been having the same issues that most of  us have been having  and has pointed that out in the IGN tech forums. 

Today after they brought the servers back up was teh first time  I was able to play for hours without any issue and I even bumped it ip to med settings.  Now I made no changes to my rig.  That same Funcom staffer also mentioned how his game improved dramatically after the servers came back up today.  I am sure that since you build your own rigs you are more knowlegeble on getting the most performance possible out of your machines  than most of us.  However,  that does not mean  that becasue it runs smooth  on your rigs that the client does not have issues.  I am hopiful with the progress the client made in stability today  that all will be well at launch.

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• araczynskiaraczynski Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Gorilla

You must have only played LoTRO and DAoC. Either that or are not very observant when it comes to problems. Trying to think what else....nope can't off hand

or, *GASP* i didn't HAVE any problems.

Granted, i haven't played that many, EQ, AC, DAoC, WoW, AO(briefly), Lotro(beta only), AoC.

• araczynskiaraczynski Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Lanthir

No offense ,as i am sure you meant none to the people pointing out the client instability in the aoc OB,  however even Funcom staff adimit that the client in unstable .  I would point out that one  AOC staff member has been having the same issues that most of  us have been having  and has pointed that out in the IGN tech forums. 
     Today after they brought the servers back up was teh first time  I was able to play for hours without any issue and I even bumped it ip to med settings.  Now I made no changes to my rig.  That same Funcom staffer also mentioned how his game improved dramatically after the servers came back up today.  I am sure that since you build your own rigs you are more knowlegeble on getting the most performance possible out of your machines  than most of us.  However,  that does not mean  that becasue it runs smooth  on your rigs that the client does not have issues.  I am hopiful with the progress the client made in stability today  that all will be well at launch.

you're right, i didn't meant any offense to anyone, nor was i implying that their (or anyone else's) clients/engines are perfect.  I just think that people assume that as soon as people start having problem, then EVERYONE is having problems and therefore the client is ALWAYS to blame and the game will undoubtedly fail because every client problem automatically takes 6 months to figure out.

as a programmer (albeit not of the game variety), i can also say that it only take one tiny little 'oops' in many cases to throw everything out of whack and make it appear the whole thing is just garbage code.  but that doesn't mean an intelligent programmer (or in the case of aoc - 150 of them) can't figure out what the issue is very quickly and resolve it without requiring months of brain scratching.  they're there because they have skills, not because funcom picked 150 random poeple off the street to come up with a game.

Originally posted by araczynski

Originally posted by Lanthir

you're right, i didn't meant any offense to anyone, nor was i implying that their (or anyone else's) clients/engines are perfect.  I just think that people assume that as soon as people start having problem, then EVERYONE is having problems and therefore the client is ALWAYS to blame and the game will undoubtedly fail because every client problem automatically takes 6 months to figure out.

as a programmer (albeit not of the game variety), i can also say that it only take one tiny little 'oops' in many cases to throw everything out of whack and make it appear the whole thing is just garbage code.  but that doesn't mean an intelligent programmer (or in the case of aoc - 150 of them) can't figure out what the issue is very quickly and resolve it without requiring months of brain scratching.  they're there because they have skills, not because funcom picked 150 random poeple off the street to come up with a game.

Oh i agree.  Thats why since i like the game i am looking forward to seeing how it plays in the prerelease.  I remember during EQ2 beta  just 2 months before lauch you could not go outside freeport if there were more than 30 people out there the zone just crashed.  Yet by launch they had it all fixed.

As we speak they are patching they OB with a nw client that is suppose to be much more stable.

this new patch sure fixed the stability issues. I went from running on low with fps around mid 40's  and crashes if i tried to play at day or when i zoned to all settings on max  with fps at 72-87  with no crashs and fast zone times for  2 hr 45 minutes all in day time in a group

Well the PvP FFA started today for the OB.  Of coruse it was a real gank feast.  The one bright spot though was the stability.  FPS did drop off a bit.  I know i went from 70's-80 down to the 40's and lat went up from 62 to 163 .  Most people I talked to ingame had similar drop offs.  However, when you consider how you were beign ported over to your home city and were surrounded by 40+ people thats not to bad at this stage.  Most fo the pvp consisted of people standing outside the city gates hitting people as they came out  or groups camping the rez points.  again to be expected.  The big patch Friday did fix the stability issues although it did come with bugs.  However Funcom did say inadvance that it was buggy but that they pushed it live to correct the stability problems.  The one big bug is  your character creation model beign blacked out.  Thus you can create a new toon you just have no real idea what they look like till they get ingame.  I am sure this si something they will be able to fix

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

This is another game that needs at least another 3 months tuning before it is ready to play and for those with non DX-10 video cards, even playing on low settings is going to be a problem.

You watch on the ffa-pvp servers there will be big changes on them soon otherwise Funcom will be looking at ghost towns in the near future. 

I also do not like the way they implemented stealth.  It is far too powerful.  You think they would see how bad stealth is in pvp games like DaoC and not make the same mistakes.  

This game has major problems in it's design.  I am majorly disappointed Funcom, This game won't even give Wow a ho hum.

I guess we will just have to wait and see what Funcom does about the problems.

This game is a definite NO BUY at release, they should have waited until fall like Mythic.  It is inexcusable that they are foisting another partially unfinished game on us.

Originally posted by Ozmodan

This is another game that needs at least another 3 months tuning before it is ready to play and for those with non DX-10 video cards, even playing on low settings is going to be a problem.

You do know that there was no DX-10 implimented in the OB right ?

• C3rb3rusC3rb3rus Member Posts: 2

Well the AoC OB experience for me was at best extremely poor, due to inability to play the game for more than 10 seconds at a time between crashes.  Even with the last patch, the client was consistently unstable for me during this open beta, and as many have already pointed out, crashed frequently and for no apparent reason even with all the setting set to low and religiously following the recommendations on the boards. 

My test system had an Intel Core2Duo CPU @2.5Ghz with 3GB RAM and dual NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8600 GT with a 320 HDD and all updated drivers.  I did notice some improvement when disabling SLI and one of the processor cores, which at least allowed me to experience some of the game initial instances.  However, and I know most of you are already saying "this is a beta" and all, but you'd think Funcom would at the very least have a functional client by the time they released it for open beta, so they could  focus on the "stress test" for their servers/connections as they originally stated.  Instead it seems from this response they stressed tested the tester's systems which was my experience along with a very large "minority", which I would wager are a larger number than acknowledged. 

Additionally, this gentleman's sidestepping of the issues proposed in the interview questions, as others pointed out earlier in the first few responses, gives me significant reason for concern and certain doubt about the actual status of this game's client stability come release.  I am very leery because throughout the beta no solution was actually formulated or communicated other than the general comment akin to the above "a number of players are reporting stellar performance on the very same approach (meeting recommended specs). "  If this is the case, then perhaps only this "number of players" should get the game at launch and force Funcom to fix it for the everyone else in lieu of loosing a large portion of the player base.  Sadly, from experience during previous game releases, this may not be the case because there will be such an eager horde of fanbois pre-ordering this game, that the instability issues may very well continue for a lot of people long after release.  It seems they are "banking" on the mindset that if they build it, we will come, which really doesn't promise anything other than frustration and aggravation for those coming along for the ride who will not have such a great experience right out of the gate.  I expect this sell-it-now-fix-it-later attitude to continue, and will wait a while until they actually fix it before making  any investment into this franchise.

• KeltikKeltik Member UncommonPosts: 89

I've been playing CB with a rig far inferior to many people here, and havn't had any probs at all.

However, I do have a new gaming rig arriving soon ( gift from my son ) so I hope my experience remains as smooth :)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Vocal minority lol?  If you can't recognize that AoC has major performance issues at this point you are blind as a bat.   Watch the people drop out after 30 days, while this game will probably be not as bad as Vanguard, this will be strictly a niche game because of the performance issues and the braindead pvp server design decisions.  It remains to be seen whether Funcom can save it before the 30 day flight!

• vickykolvickykol Member UncommonPosts: 106

I cancelled my preorder after closed beta.

Oh, after trying it for a while I am not at all convinced that this will turn out like Vanguard. I think that it is more like Shadowbane. I suspect that it will be a good game, but not my game.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

You have to give the company credit for not hiding behind the launch date and actually addressing th issues.  I have pre-ordered the game and expect some trouble at launch and if it stinks bad I will just pick up EVE again.

• Deto123Deto123 Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by chryses

You have to give the company credit for not hiding behind the launch date and actually addressing th issues.  I have pre-ordered the game and expect some trouble at launch and if it stinks bad I will just pick up EVE again.

True enough. I would rather spend my money on a box of condoms and a night out :)

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Honestly... I gave up after the first couple of days... :P

My computer may not be a crysis-running beast of a gaming machine, but it isnt a slouch either. And to say that it was a minority is a vast understatement. At the IGN forums, last time i checked, there was more than 16 pages of posts basically saying the same thing, and the machines in question were anywhere from bare minimum to said beast of a machine.

Hell... there were even blue screens of death caused by the game screwing up the video drivers... :P

Hell, they created a "Technical support" forums at IGN just to keep the complaining out of the general forums...

The best thing of all, was that there seemed to be no difference in graphics on the regular settings, and the lowest of low. The 'fighting' to me was worse than WoW, considering I had to click constantly to keep him attacking, and with the .4 or less FPS, that just makes it more of a drag than usual...

go ahead and flame me, go ahead and say I'm whining, dont care. The game was completely unplayable, from what I've seen, the game is more compatable with some old crap computers runnin on XP than  a powerful, dual-core system on Vista (which I thought the game was designed for... :  ).

• BrokenIceBrokenIce Member Posts: 3

Hopefully they will do what Blizzard did with WoW and not charge us for the time that the game was unstable at launch. I know when WoW came out there was a lot of server crashing and downtime and they refunded me of the days that there was extremely a lot of down time. They did this without me having to complain. I just looked at my account info page and it had a lot of added free plays time. Hopefully they will do the same.

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

lmao, shouldnt fc be providing what the customer wants rather than telling us that's what they want rofl i wonder who is paying their salary

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Originally posted by Deto123

Originally posted by chryses

True enough. I would rather spend my money on a box of condoms and a night out :)

Cant blame you but I have a wife therefore no need for the above 2 items :)