Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Beta Concerns Q&A

Comments

• KraeneeKraenee Member Posts: 166

I'm not a fanboi of any game and the way they released the open beta just shows that MMO game companies just don't get it.

After wonderful games such as SWG, Vanguard, Dark and light.... we are sick of paying retail for beta and having to play beta when the games are live! Only to be told by the devs and dumb ass fanbois that we have to wait, it's your system, or  what do you expect... you know the usual tripe to cover their asses. This game has been put off for over a year and should've been polished by this time concidering they've had a closed beta for some time now. You don't have an open house and invite the public in only have the house a mess and damaged. Just doesn't make any sense.  Two weeks before the game going live this thing should have been done. The open beta should have just been a stress test for the servers and introduce players to what the product has to offer. This is starting to look allot like SWG, vanguard at launch TBH.

For some reason game companies just don't get it (actually they don't seem to get allot of things). When people go to car shows the car companies don't give the press cars that don't start, run for 2 minutes and crash... you get the point.

Why would you show off a product that is NOT done? and then have the balls to ask the public "well are you gonna buy it?" Or spend months on end trying to spin doctor it? Yeah this kinda of crap works for fanbois but not the general public especially a public that has been stung before with these tactics.

The reason is ,they think it's gonna work and it does not. If anything they lose prospective buyers and give the product a reputation of being broken.

I love how they always say things like "Well it's a major game and you can't expect everything to work" or "show me a game that hasn't had it's problems"... spin and excuses. I love how he said "our bad" like they don't have 80+ mil wrapped up in the product... LOL talk about casual.

And that is the problem right there! Instead of releasing finished products they just try to excuse it as being the "NORM". and as of late it IS the norm.

Problem is it never works and won't. Only the rabid fanbois will fall for this every time.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I think they should wait and release a stabel version. But I also remember WOW's launch had major issues with AMD 64bit processors where we were getting booted. It was fixed int he first 2 weeks of release. I want to see AoC be successful.  I just think Funcom should do a major PR move and wait. MMORPG players will respect that and become more loyal to the game.

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

I have a top end PC and the game runs with alot of hitching and huge spikes.

By top end Im talking about real top end - including 9800 gtx.  New install - nothing else on the Raptor and still its shit even in low settings.

Seriously - this Dev is simply lying.  Funcom can not guaranty a top end players with a game that runs.  So minority... Is that 49,9% ?   Or maybe players that are not even given the chance to test if the game runs at all on their machine will have to find out by buying something that doesn't work ?

Grats Funcom.   You will be so populare. 

This is a joke

DONT BUY THIS GAME UNLESS U ARE GUARANTIED IT WILL RUN ON YOUR PC.  IT has NOTHING to do with minimum or requmended.  Funcom have not done ANY testing on what the game is running on - and they simply dont give a dam.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

Originally posted by Alan0n

By top end Im talking about real top end - including 9800 gtx.  New install - nothing else on the Raptor and still its shit even in low settings.
    Seriously - this Dev is simply lying.  Funcom can not guaranty a top end players with a game that runs.  So minority... Is that 49,9% ?   Or maybe players that are not even given the chance to test if the game runs at all on their machine will have to find out by buying something that doesn't work ?
    This is a joke
    DONT BUY THIS GAME UNLESS U ARE GUARANTIED IT WILL RUN ON YOUR PC.  IT has NOTHING to do with minimum or requmended.  Funcom have not done ANY testing on what the game is running on - and they simply dont give a dam.
    The closed beta runs just fine on my machine:

Vista - 64bit

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66Ghz

4 Mb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

I suspect that it'll be stable on more systems come launch. From all accounts they have indeed done testing on what the game is running on. Any MMO company would be moronic not to look into it and Funcom isn't out to NOT make money and they have a lot riding on AoC, given that they also have another MMO project that will follow behind it.

Just my 2 cents though.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

This is a joke

Lol...So..Maybe your "super new hardware" has some issues ? New hardware like the 9800 gtx for instance ALWAYS has problems with drivers, Vista, Motherboard etc etc etc etc...

My card the 8800 still has unresolved driver issues..

Age of Conan is GREAT

• jensen_34jensen_34 Member Posts: 52

I would be interested to see how much time all these people with top end systems actually devoted to testing.  My guess is some of them started the game up, got the stuttering a couple crashes (happened to me too) and then wrote the game off. My first day I crashed about 8-10 times in 2 hours, stuttering and freezes of up to 10 seconds galore.

It wasn't until about the 2nd or 3rd day of logging back in did all the crashes disappear and the stuttering reduced to within reason.  I read this has something to do with cached shaders and it made sense to me.  Basically your hard drive has to memorize the different shaders in each zone when you first enter.  As you store more shaders it will run smoother and smoother.

I run XP, 2.4 GHz AMD, 7800GT, 2 Gigs of DDR 400 ram so basically the low end and I'd say it's very playable.  I upgraded another gig of ram and saw a big jump in performance so my best advice is to have 3 Gigs ram minimum.

I'm not saying go pre-order, but definitely take the opinions you see here with a grain of salt.  My advice for those on the fence; wait for a buddy key/ free trial and see if the game is for you.

PS Anyone who says this beta is in a class of VG or AO is fos.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I hope these bug fixes have not already been implemented, because the game is still running like crap on my machine. I have really enjoyed the game so far, but I have to admit that I will have a hard time continuing to play if they don't fix the performance. My computer is very high-end and there is no excuse for it running like this for me.

I have tried many of the suggested fixes and I have still been experiencing stuttering and freezing whenever entering new areas and especially inside.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon X2 3.0 GHz

4 GB RAM

2x Geforce 8800GT SLI

7200 RPM Sata HD

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by cutter666
    The point is it doesnt run universally well/poor on any machine. It seems totally random what setup you have.
    Some low end machines run it well on med settings some high end machines cant run it at all.
    Funcom should really get their shit together.
    In the rush to get this GREAT game out they forgot to tell the computers that they could run it.

It does run well or even very well on my pc...

Seriously, this is the same in ALL MMO's that has any form of graphics to show..EQ2, Vanguard, LOTRO, Heck i bet even the giant WoW has some serious issues in their tech forums that is unresolved for many many people...And these issues will eventuelly clear, but then it will get bad again and again and again to reflect the updates to both the game and the PC market that is constantly changing..

There is no chance in hell a game of this scope will run on every PC that meets the requirements, all PC setups are NOT alike, and even if you test on 100 diffrent setups, you will ALWAYS have these issues in the PC market..

That's why consoles are popular for both developers and many customers..they are ALL the same

• DespizedDespized Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Eraser55

If I was owner of this game and company I would kicked everyone in FUNcom in the ass. There is no excuse to give the public such crappy experience with the product you are trying to sell.
    It seems like most MMO companies never learned some basic buisness rules. IT seems like they are controlled by some nerds who have no prior experience in the buisness world.
    Just ask your self. Would you buy a car that did not preform as it was ment to?
    I have had enough of half ass finnished mmo's.. If you can't make it play, don't make it at all.

If by saying would you buy a car that did not perform as it was meant to you mean a prototype car that is being tested by people to work the kinks out in order to make the car better, would I buy it, then yes I would buy the finished product.

You're trying to compare a finished product to a prduct that is in the final stages towards being released to the public.

This is the problem I have with the new era of fileplanet betas. Too many people that are just there to try out the game and decide in beta that the game isn't up to their standards, then the badmouthing starts and other people that are unable to form their own opinions about finished products start listening to these tools.

• vendolisvendolis Member Posts: 29

I tryed to get into the open Beta from day one and it always only showed me a black screen and the mouse on it. I heard the musik in the background. New Driver did not help.
    I got no answer from Funcom yet about it.. so I can only tell the people I know that I am not even ablt to play the game.

My Specs:

Intel Core Duo E6850
    NVIDIA 8800 GTS
    4GB RAM
    WinXP SP2

Well I hope they fix some stuff until the launch.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Originally posted by rmk70

Can you say damage control? lol

Lol! for some reason I thought the same thing. I am seeing a repeat of vanguard for some reason. Well... not as BAD as vanguard's demise, but you get the picture.

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

Originally posted by Stradden

This is a joke
    The closed beta runs just fine on my machine:

Vista - 64bit

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66Ghz

4 Mb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT

I suspect that it'll be stable on more systems come launch. From all accounts they have indeed done testing on what the game is running on. Any MMO company would be moronic not to look into it and Funcom isn't out to NOT make money and they have a lot riding on AoC, given that they also have another MMO project that will follow behind it.

Just my 2 cents though.

I'm running on:

Vista Home Premium 32bit

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ @ 2.4 GHz

2 Mb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT

I get great performance. I was getting horrible performance, but I got my drivers up to date and turned off NPC names in the options menu and everything has been working great.

What's the MMO project that will be following AoC?

• WytchenWytchen Member Posts: 4

I can't understand why people bitch about this game so much jesus If you don't wana play the game please don't buy it .    I have been in the Ob from the 1st and have had little issues with the client

I run an Intel duel core 2.4 2mb ram 8800 GTS  video card and I'm getting 54-64fps.

Yes game has a few issues with shaders but I'm running it on med setting with a few tweaks and game looks nice. Love the quests and combat but the spells need work .

Stop fooling urself no game is ot of beta just look at wow I have been playing it for 4yrs and still get server lag and what not .. I stress if you don't like the game please don't play.

• LumsterLumster Member Posts: 230

Here we go again with the .... from some PC noobs.........if a game is terrible optimized just get more ram.....its always more ram.........I NEED MORE RAMZ OMG!!!!11

NO GAME TO THIS DATE SHOULD NEED MORE THAN 2GB (up to date ram) TO RUN GOOD WITH MID (even high imo) SETTINGS.

And just because it worked for your low end PC doesn't mean it will work for others with even better PCs, so stop giving advice because you obviously don't know  ... kthxbb

• WytchenWytchen Member Posts: 4

Are you talking to me Lum cause I never said anything about ram. And lose the wow tone buddy.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

There was a typo.  He wrote "Minority" but I think he really meant "Majority".

• boomerangxboomerangx Member Posts: 254
    Originally posted by elvenangel

Originally posted by miagisan

Originally posted by jy88902

Did you read the interview?
    The DIRECTOR confirmed in his own words that the "old client" thing was a RUMOR. He explained that the issues people are having came up unexpected because they rushed a few fixes in.
    So what he is saying is correct, the OB was never an old client.
    wow......just....wow.

I was really hoping it was the old client. But  it's not. This really brings alot to light. And if this is the closed beta client, then what are the people in closed beta saying that it is different, and the CB one runs better? My performance has gotten worse and worse over the last few days....and not even due to population. I have a character in the tavern right at the beginning of tortage, a level 6 necro who i cant even log into...because 10-15 mins into loading it hangs up, and when and if i do load, i cant move for a good 5. This is after i just defragged and removed the shader files.

IF this is the client they are going with, and they said there are not going to be any major fixes to it, then this launch is going to be really rocky.

Why in the world would you REMOVE the shader files?  Ever thought the engine wont finish loading the game if its looking for the shader files and coming up with nothing?   I'm bettting it needs those shader files to run half the graphics in the game.  Or did someone instruct you to remove them ... though I stil don't see why..you don't remove shader files you turn them off in the options.

removing the shader cache files is a "proven fix" listed in the official forums...so yeah he was instructed to remove them...(i realize he doesn't say cache but if you were reading the beta forums you would know this is what hes talking about)

I play a lot of games...

• Alan0nAlan0n Member Posts: 576

In other words - roll a dice.   Noone knows what pcs can run the game and what pcs cant.  And is Funcom telling us what is causing the bad performance from some ?   Nope - they have no idea themselfs.  

• DeathMutant3DeathMutant3 Member Posts: 67

In my experience with tuning AoC's performance, defragging my HD did not significantly improve load times but compacting/repairing AoC's database with SimpleConfig.exe made a huge difference.

ps. I have twin 10K Raptors in RAID 0 configuration.

• asasenpaiasasenpai Member Posts: 124

I've tried asking for a beta key from the official site, mmosite and fileplanet didn't give me a key and i think it's just redicules.

1.MMOsite needs you to have more post forum topic in your account.

2. Fileplanet needs you to be a subscribed member to get a beta key .

3. I've been waiting for my key for about 1 year and a half to get my key at the official site and they never gave me one.

• I've a mid range machine. Not bad, not amazing. This game runs horribly on the lowest possible settings. Its definately something from the developers side. I've tried every little trick available to boost performance. Nothin changed. Theres some points in the game where i can get up to 30fps for about 20 mins (outside Tortage). I really seen that it can be an enjoyable game at these points. But between freezes and horribly long loading screens theres no way i'm buying this game at launch. I'll give it 2-3 months and see what the feedback is.

And for those of you that are not in Beta, don't fall for any cover up crap some of the devs and fanboys feed you. The game runs horribly on the MAJORITY of peoples machines. Not minority. Just look at these forums. Would a reliable game be getting flamed like this? No. The game isn't being flamed for being a bad game. Most people seem to enjoy the gameplay when they can play. Its all down to performance. Buying a game like this at launch shows companies that they can dish up loads of crap and people will still pay. Doesn't bode well for future projects...

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156
    Originally posted by asasenpai

I've tried asking for a beta key from the official site, mmosite and fileplanet didn't give me a key and i think it's just redicules.
    3. I've been waiting for my key for about 1 year and a half to get my key at the official site and they never gave me one.

i been waiting over a year for the WAR one....but i know its luck of the draw, so i don't cry about it :)

Originally posted by asasenpai

i been waiting over a year for the WAR one....but i know its luck of the draw, so i don't cry about it :)

Well i'm not crying about it , it just the fact the Fileplanet and MMOsite has a problem with giving keys out to people.

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

i got the key the same way most did for the open beta. i used a paying FP account and signed up when they offered them. They were offering them for i think 5 days.

i got the key the same way most did for the open beta. i used a paying FP account and signed up when they offered them. They were offering them for i think 5 days.

Well that was quick for you to get the key, But anyway did you registered your key at Funcom.