Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Beta Concerns Q&A

Comments

• ougaritougarit Member Posts: 317

Thanks to MMORPG.COM, now we have all the details about this subject. Thx MMORPG.COM

Originally posted by Sinkael

I think we can finally silence that stupid rumor that this is an old Client, said in game and I will say it here. That theory makes no sense whatsoever is is complete rubbish cooked up by fanbois.

Fanboys are fanboys, even if 95% of computers of the planet are crashing when players launch AOC , they'll say it's players fault. They're fanboys, that's all. And ridiculous,. Most of them have been VG fanboys, TR fanboys, lotro fanboys before beeing AOC fanboys: same people.

• HorniakHorniak Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Riker99

The two people who posted very decent rigs with problems have a common thread...
    They are running Vista...
    I highly suspect that performance on Vista will be significantly lower or more hit and miss than on XP at release.
    Furthermore, add the complicating factors of  "are they running 32-bit or 64-bit Vista?" and "are they running DX9 or DX10?"  to the "are they running XP or Vista?" question, and you have alot of crap to deal with as a developer.
    This is one of those times in game development where you have to bridge onto a new OS and its always a little hit and miss sometimes.
    This time is even more complicated due to the change from DX9 to DX10 and the graphic cards that go along with that (GeForce 8000 series, Radeon 2000HD series).
    If AoC can provide solid performance on Vista and DX10 a few months after release, it will be a great boon for the game development industry as a whole, as it will prove that Vista and DX10 can in fact perform better than, or at least on par with, DX9 and XP (Crysis absolutely failed at this goal, with DX10 performance being absolute crap).
    And thats the point, isn't it?!
    Edit: Thought of one more thing.
    Crashes under Vista may not be the game's fault at all. The programmers may have followed the OS API perfectly to the tee, but if the code of the OS itself is buggy for certain aspects of the API, then utilizing those aspects will cause issues.
    The solution is either Microsoft fixes the problem (unlikely in a reasonable timeframe), or the developers try to workaround the issue, which may or may not be possible.Debugging these kinds of issues is particularly painful as development could have centered around one buggy aspect of the API, forcing that entire part of the software to be redeveloped.
    FYI I'm running with Vista Ultimate x64 on my Q6600@3150Mhz, 4GB DDR2, Seagate 7200.11 (game/storage), Raptor 74GB (OS), and a 9800GTX. Currently running at 1680x1050 HIGH + 4xAA, fps are between 35-65 fps, average around 50. It hasn't crashed (except on exiting the game) since day 1, and no stall since day 1. Loading times were also off first day, now when entering from character screen it takes around 10-20 seconds (I guess depending on where I log out), when entering / exiting houses like the tavern it just takes 2-4 seconds.

So atleast for me the game runs quite well except for the first day I tried it, had alot of stalling and long loading times. But after that it really runs great, dont know why it was like that the first day. Btw, I always deactivate my antivirus software when playing games like this, since they seems to scan all files that the computer access.

It's too bad so many ppl have problems, I hope funcom can fix most of the performance issues ppl are having. Would be sad to see this game fail, then it would be only WAR left to take on WOW. Would be better if AOC and WAR did it together ;) When there's competition, the games usually get's better :P

• fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by eric1000

And yes, I have seen the same rumors that it’s old, but it’s not entirely true.
    FYI saying its not entirely true also means it's not entirely UNTRUE. He did not by any means put to rest the rumor that it is an old client.
    We tried to include the best we had on a stable approach, but in our eagerness to please we wanted to get a few additional fixes out (hence we pushed the launch back a couple of hours). In order to reach the May 1st date some of those fixes led to unwanted side-effects which weren’t discovered in time. For some, it got a bit rockier than we wanted. We are running an extensive survey now, and from the first few hundred replies (which should be statistically correct), it seems that most people are actually having tons of fun AND good performance. We are humble about it though, and admit that things could have gone smoother, but the experience some people have had now has helped us to improve for launch, which is what really matters.

I said that this is what had happened in an earlier thread and the fanbois came out in force with the 'It's an old client, it's not the release client' mantra.  Well sorry to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO :)
     WTF are you talking about? He states in the article that this ISN"T the release client and you are telling fanbois that  said it wasn't that they are wrong?

Reading is fundamental:  "I must stress that it was, and is, beta, and the verdict should come for our launch version, not the version three weeks before." That is directly from the article and says right there that the open beta is not the release client....
    Anyway, kudos to Funcom for finally coming clean and telling the truth about what happened, players respect that a lot more than half-assed lies about old clients.  Hope you get it sorted and have a good launch guys.
    Again he didn't say it wasn't an old client, he talked around it by saying this:

We have heard that the Fileplanet Beta client is actually an old client and won't be the one used on release. Can you speak to that?

Funcom:

It for sure won’t be the one we have on release!

You show me one place he states that it is not an old client. The closest he comes is by saying : "And yes, I have seen the same rumors that it’s old, but it’s not entirely true." Which again also means it's not entirely untrue now doesn't it?

• Eraser55Eraser55 Member Posts: 142

If I was owner of this game and company I would kicked everyone in FUNcom in the ass. There is no excuse to give the public such crappy experience with the product you are trying to sell.

It seems like most MMO companies never learned some basic buisness rules. IT seems like they are controlled by some nerds who have no prior experience in the buisness world.

Just ask your self. Would you buy a car that did not preform as it was ment to?

I have had enough of half ass finnished mmo's.. If you can't make it play, don't make it at all.

My cool sig: Turrets suck.

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by URMAKER

Originally posted by Sinuous

Originally posted by tinywulf

Me, and two friends are in Open Beta, all 3 of us have vastly different systems from low end to high end.
    All of us are experiencing the problems, the crashes, the lag, etc.

One of my friends wants to play it so bad he reboots like every hour or something just so the game runs ok.
    See once the game crashes one time it fubars your video somehow to the point only a reboot fixes it (for the game) , otherwise the game ctd's like every 2 minutes.
    WindowsXP is more stable than a game, never thought i'd see the day!
    Anyway, my point is this game is not ready for launch, and I won't be buying it. It's just plain not ready.

Wow........that's an old-ass bug!  They fixed that one months ago on closed servers.

odd that i still have this problem then isn't it

just had that problem on closed beta yesterday. my mainscreen went back when client crashed, i could not reactivate it until a reboot. and that with neweset gfx card drivers and on closed beta yesterday.

also now after this client is crashing constantly on logging in after that, i did a file check and it did not find any problems...

• quaikyquaiky Member Posts: 566

Originally posted by fatpanda

Originally posted by eric1000

And yes, I have seen the same rumors that it’s old, but it’s not entirely true.
    FYI saying its not entirely true also means it's not entirely UNTRUE. He did not by any means put to rest the rumor that it is an old client.
    We tried to include the best we had on a stable approach, but in our eagerness to please we wanted to get a few additional fixes out (hence we pushed the launch back a couple of hours). In order to reach the May 1st date some of those fixes led to unwanted side-effects which weren’t discovered in time. For some, it got a bit rockier than we wanted. We are running an extensive survey now, and from the first few hundred replies (which should be statistically correct), it seems that most people are actually having tons of fun AND good performance. We are humble about it though, and admit that things could have gone smoother, but the experience some people have had now has helped us to improve for launch, which is what really matters.

I said that this is what had happened in an earlier thread and the fanbois came out in force with the 'It's an old client, it's not the release client' mantra.  Well sorry to say I told you so but I TOLD YOU SO :)
     WTF are you talking about? He states in the article that this ISN"T the release client and you are telling fanbois that  said it wasn't that they are wrong?

Reading is fundamental:  "I must stress that it was, and is, beta, and the verdict should come for our launch version, not the version three weeks before." That is directly from the article and says right there that the open beta is not the release client....
    Anyway, kudos to Funcom for finally coming clean and telling the truth about what happened, players respect that a lot more than half-assed lies about old clients.  Hope you get it sorted and have a good launch guys.
    Again he didn't say it wasn't an old client, he talked around it by saying this:

We have heard that the Fileplanet Beta client is actually an old client and won't be the one used on release. Can you speak to that?

Funcom:

It for sure won’t be the one we have on release!

You show me one place he states that it is not an old client. The closest he comes is by saying : "And yes, I have seen the same rumors that it’s old, but it’s not entirely true." Which again also means it's not entirely untrue now doesn't it?

to me that just means it was not old when they opened beta, but in the last days they have made a few fixes which they most likely will patch in the next days to test them.

and that relese client is different is clear they will turn most debugging off for it to use a bit less memory and a bit improved performance, it will probably add a few fps for everyone but i guess it will not be a stellar gain from deactivating debugging.

• BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345

Ah well, he who laughs last, laughs best. Don't preorder, don't buy if that's how you feel , but why put the rest of us down who think we wil enjoy the game. That doesn't mean we are fanbois or gurls. It just means we are willing to give it a try because we have been in open or closed beta and found it enjoyable.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

The game is really good and fun for me. I'm having fun in the open beta, performance is good on my computer most of the time, I have a nvidia 7900 gs 256, 2 gigs ram, AMD dual core 3800+ wich runs at 2,0 ghz each core. It's more or less an average computer I think. Anyway the game runs well most of the time so I'm happy with it but, I have a problme with shaders. No matter i do, they keep disabling most of the time on busy places like tortage. So Ina moment my Character looks awesome and detailed, with skin details, skars, and shinny armor and in the next second it looks like a cloth doll. It's looks like a small and easy to fix problem but I will not buy the game If I dont see this fixed. If I don't see this fixed on Open Beta Ill wait after launch and ask for a buddy key so I can try the released one and see if it runs nice. And I hope it does cose I really want to buy the game.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Originally posted by fatpanda

Yes, I agree the client will not be the one for release.  They will patch it and fix it to at least an acceptable level for a lot of us.  However, I still believe the OB client and CB client were the same based on this statement, sorry.  When someone tells me something is not enitrely true, the translastion is "it's true, but I don't want to come out and fully admit it because it would make me look bad."

Who knows, maybe at release they will have us playing on a pre-alpha client.  We will be getting the same horrible performance and crashes.  The berzerk fanatics will flood the forums with "OMGZ, this is only a pre-Alpha patch.  Just wait a couple of months until they fix it, the game will be awesome!"

No no, I'm sorry, that may not be ENTIRELY true.

• GnomigGnomig Member Posts: 48

OB and CB clients *are* the same - you can log into the fileplanet beta if you exchange the localconfig.xml for another i recently found in an german forum. I haven't got the whole link anymore but the HP of these guys is

http://www.destruktive-brut.net/forumwar/index.php

according to their readme... haven't checked it yet, i'm just DLing GenBeta per torrent because fileplanet's waiting line shows "21min" for the last 3hrs or so

So, if it's not all hoax it should be the same client. Peace.

• tazalanchetazalanche Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Brynn

I have no doubt there will be a patch after release, there usually is.

Of course. Funcom is infamous for patching AO within a day of updating (even their last update had a patch within 24 hours), no matter how long the update was on the test server beforehand.  Granted, this occurs with many MMOs by many companies, but the odds are higher in AO, so it's fair to assume that their legacy will continue.

Personally, I take very little of what Tharaldsen says as fact. We got the same sidestepping when he was working with AO. Since "Sil" took over with being on the frontline between the AO community & Funcom we get a lot more straight forward answers.

• jessianjessian Member Posts: 277

after reading up on Conan for ages now i am starting to get worried that this game is just going to be the next Guild wars.

I hated that zoned instance rubbish, so i have now cancelled my preorder for this game and will let it run for 5 months before checking it out again.

Zoned instances are a cheap and nasty way of designing a mmo tbh.

Yes it will look lovely, ONLY if you have the computing power to run it at those specs.

/move on

Lets hope WAR isnt instanced made rubbish, i want a mmo that has a world beneath it, that extra spark to emerse myself into the story and game play. That lacks totally in guild wars..

can just picture it, load game, enter newbie zone,

LOADING instace

move to kill boar

LOADING instance

kill boar

LOADING instance

and repeat.

• WardropWardrop Member Posts: 462

i guess im one of them dudes that dont have issues folks are talking about while playing AOC.

OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64bit

Version    6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer    NVIDIA

System Model    122-CK-NF68

System Type    x64-based PC

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 64bit

BIOS Version/Date    Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/11/2007

SMBIOS Version    2.4

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB

Corsair twin x2 memory

680I (A1) version mobo from evga

Onboard 7.1 digital sound.

Comcast gaming connection, 8mb/1.2mb

Runs the game at 50-77 latency

maxed settings with 4x/16x with all the reflections etc on, Bloom off 54-64fps The lowest ive seen, while entering the bar was 35 fps, mabe a 2 fps  but only for like a second (stalling) in the bar where you talk to tina.

Deleting shader.cache

and setting the exe file to run in service pack 2 compatability fixed any of my issues, or  possible issues.

Go download a proggy called  "CCLEANER"   Google it, download it from filehippo, check everything to on and then run it a few times, clean your harddrive and registry . reboot then try again. dont be  dipshit, download the program and run it, and youll see how much crap youve got  on your harddrive that is  sucking your computers resources up. BTW its free to use. Its fast  and simple to use and frickin safe. Or be that guy and sit here and share the sob stories of how your good pc blows with this game.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by jessian  
    after reading up on Conan for ages now i am starting to get worried that this game is just going to be the next Guild wars.

Funcom has some credits for "inventing" (?) the  instance system with Anarchy Online. So wait.. these dudes deserve some patience. Ok, maybe It will suck, but let then consume our patience first :DD

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Wardrop

i guess im one of them dudes that dont have issues folks are talking about while playing AOC.

OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium 64bit

Version    6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer    NVIDIA

System Model    122-CK-NF68

System Type    x64-based PC

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 64bit

BIOS Version/Date    Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 7/11/2007

SMBIOS Version    2.4

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6001.18000"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB

Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB

Corsair twin x2 memory

680I (A1) version mobo from evga
    Onboard 7.1 digital sound.
    Comcast gaming connection, 8mb/1.2mb

Runs the game at 50-77 latency
    maxed settings with 4x/16x with all the reflections etc on, Bloom off 54-64fps The lowest ive seen, while entering the bar was 35 fps, mabe a 2 fps  but only for like a second (stalling) in the bar where you talk to tina.

Deleting shader.cache
    and setting the exe file to run in service pack 2 compatability fixed any of my issues, or  possible issues.

Go download a proggy called  "CCLEANER"   Google it, download it from filehippo, check everything to on and then run it a few times, clean your harddrive and registry . reboot then try again. dont be  dipshit, download the program and run it, and youll see how much crap youve got  on your harddrive that is  sucking your computers resources up. BTW its free to use. Its fast  and simple to use and frickin safe. Or be that guy and sit here and share the sob stories of how your good pc blows with this game.

might I ask if you are runnign the OB or the cb version of the game  also what video card or cards are you running .  Have you set it to run just one core and if sli have you disabled that ?

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

I posted in another thread how I canceled my pre-order but last night I did more research on my drivers and updated them using a Mod INF file (I have a Toshiba gaming laptop and they hadn't updated the driver set since last Sep.) at any rate using a later driver set (even if a mod one) made a HUGE difference in my game play.   The game actually was playable (still a bit laggy but playable none the less).

For me the keys to making the beta at least half way playable was:

1) Get latest Nvidia drivers even if not from my laptop's maker.

2) Set CPU Affinity to just one CPU

3) Set all graphics to lowest settings, still looks better than 90% of the MMOs I have played

I have a Geforce 8700m with 512mb Ram, 2Gb of System RAM under Windows Vista 32.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

running OB version,

and vid card is 8800 gts 320mb sc model from evga overclocked to

635 core clock

1488 shader clock

923 memory clock

Set on high quality mode

my power supply is 1100w tagan ITZ series  (ABS certified)

Case is a nine hundred model.

I havent changed any of my processors, i have them all running, and im using just one vid card at the moment. I could use a few more upgrades but im not a wealthy man so this is what i have to deal with. I built it myself

Also to add to the list of things to remove, if your not using it to run your network, uninstall "nvidia network manager" completely from the add/ remove programs section of control panel ( this was a fix for black screen issues and stalling with crysis running in x64 mod) if you have that program.

• LanthirLanthir Member UncommonPosts: 222

Originally posted by Wardrop

running OB version,
    and vid card is 8800 gts 320mb sc model from evga overclocked to
    635 core clock
    1488 shader clock
    923 memory clock
    Set on high quality mode
     my power supply is 1100w tagan ITZ series  (ABS certified)
    Case is a nine hundred model.
    I havent changed any of my processors, i have them all running, and im using just one vid card at the moment. I could use a few more upgrades but im not a wealthy man so this is what i have to deal with. I built it myself

Also to add to the list of things to remove, if your not using it to run your network, uninstall "nvidia network manager" completely from the add/ remove programs section of control panel ( this was a fix for black screen issues and stalling with crysis running in x64 mod) if you have that program.

thanks

Just found new beta drivers from nvidia that they posts last night.. game now has 64 fps and i have spell effects and am on mid settings instead of low.  The date of the divers were the 6th of may 7.15.11.7516  i have Gforce 8800gt with vista 32 bit

Magic is impressive, but now Minsc leads! Swords for everyone!

Ahh ok, yea i havent downloaded the drivers yet. I think ill do that, i may get a boost  to fps also.

That gt is a good solid card and very overclockable so i hear. and much cheaper then my gts. I was thinking of dropping two in  my pc  and maybe having the gts as the third vid card alone for what ever would use it.

I only have 2 pci express x16 slots but a third slot  for a card is still there. just not sliable. i hear the 750i mobo has three pci exp x16 slots for three sli cards, and its not to expensive.

And i could use liquid cooling. but im ok at the moment when it comes to heating, with my nine hundreds case fans.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I don't know about others, but my lag is definately caused by swapping.

My hdd's (2 raptors in raid0) go mental all the time .... Conan is using an astonishing 1.4GB ( of my 2) internal memory ...

Maploading takes ages .... after loading map it takes another 5 minutes before i can move :)

• openedge1openedge1 Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by MarlonB

I don't know about others, but my lag is definately caused by swapping.
    My hdd's (2 raptors in raid0) go mental all the time .... Conan is using an astonishing 1.4GB ( of my 2) internal memory ...

Maploading takes ages .... after loading map it takes another 5 minutes before i can move :)
    One system I had with a 3870 and 3 gigs had to have the pagefile turned off to even load...

But, the game never used more than the 1.4g of memory...so, it was all good...(ps: no memory leak here either as some have stated)

Try it and see how it works..

• younggeryoungger Member Posts: 38

Funcom's talking like there was no apparent problems

sorry but whoever I playd with was crashing every 20 mins to  45 minutes

I, for myself had stalling, huge loading, crashing every 15 mins or so, made my core duo reboot 3 times.. after the loading screen.. had to reinstall twice

but yea gameplay is good, pve is huge

• sartoriussartorius Member Posts: 199

My performance issues (ie. lagging/hitching/stalling, etc.) have pretty much been fixed, but I am still getting a large number of crashes - windows messages, no debugging information/form.  I'm really hoping this is resolved by the headstart.

"Death is a dignitary who when he comes announced is to be received
    with formal manifestations of respect, even by those most familiar with him."
    - Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce

• ZeGerman1942ZeGerman1942 Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by rmk70

Can you say damage control? lol

hehehe

PR FTW

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by miagisan

Originally posted by jy88902

Did you read the interview?
    The DIRECTOR confirmed in his own words that the "old client" thing was a RUMOR. He explained that the issues people are having came up unexpected because they rushed a few fixes in.
    So what he is saying is correct, the OB was never an old client.
    wow......just....wow.

I was really hoping it was the old client. But  it's not. This really brings alot to light. And if this is the closed beta client, then what are the people in closed beta saying that it is different, and the CB one runs better? My performance has gotten worse and worse over the last few days....and not even due to population. I have a character in the tavern right at the beginning of tortage, a level 6 necro who i cant even log into...because 10-15 mins into loading it hangs up, and when and if i do load, i cant move for a good 5. This is after i just defragged and removed the shader files.

IF this is the client they are going with, and they said there are not going to be any major fixes to it, then this launch is going to be really rocky.

Why in the world would you REMOVE the shader files?  Ever thought the engine wont finish loading the game if its looking for the shader files and coming up with nothing?   I'm bettting it needs those shader files to run half the graphics in the game.  Or did someone instruct you to remove them ... though I stil don't see why..you don't remove shader files you turn them off in the options.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!