Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is good VS evil worth it?

azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

im thinking about coming back either next month on the month after, and was wondering if the good VS evil edtion was worth it, i cant get to any of the places that sell city of heros and i currently only have city of villains, and all my characters are noobish so i dont have to worry about that. but is it WORTH it. i know the game itself is but...still.

Playing
Nothing
waiting for
The secret world
Played
WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

Comments

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Well, it's worth it if you have any intention of playing on the Hero side of the fence. If you're happy just sticking to the Villain side, then probably not. The pack does come with some extra costume sets and a long-cooldown teleport option that'll take you to the Pocket D, but there's nothing game-changing about the box itself other than access to both games (and the different archetypes, missions, zones, et cetera that each one offers).

As for pricing, be sure to shop around a bit, unless you're going for the digital download. PlayNC has boxes for $29.99, but EBGames and Fry's have it for $19.99, and there may very well be cheaper copies floating around if you look hard enough.

• zandrallzandrall Member Posts: 54

'that sell city of heroes and i currently only have city of villains'

all i had was city of Villains and when i restarted you can play both now, so all the pack would do is give you a few costume parts and the club d card,  I would just dl the client from playNC and start playing i would not worry about the good vs evil box

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

I saw copies of old City of Heroes in 2 different shops this week.  1 place was selling it for about $15 and the other has a price tag higher than what GvE has!

There is 1 free month, some exclusive goodies, maybe a jetpack or something like that.

You could also just play CoV and see if they don't give you access to Heroes for free, they did that in the past to all peoples who were subscribing at that moment...they may redo it anytime.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Originally posted by zandrall

'that sell city of heroes and i currently only have city of villains'

all i had was city of Villains and when i restarted you can play both now, so all the pack would do is give you a few costume parts and the club d card,  I would just dl the client from playNC and start playing i would not worry about the good vs evil box
    EXACTLY!  As a special thank you to the existing player base (back in November), when NcSoft acquired CoX, they gave the players who only had one side access to the other side of the game.  http://www.cityofheroes.com/press/a_new_age.html

If you want the bonus content from the gve edition (costume/teleporter), you can just pay 9.99 at the ncsoft website for it.

Definitely download the client and give it a try though, you should have access to both.  If you need it OP, use it -- I'm pm'ing you a trial code to return. ( ' :

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

thanks guys, but i got it anyway for two reasons. i found a new copy on ebay for 15 bucks total. and i tryed just reactivating my account but i had to put a ticket in because it woundent submit the thing to reactivate and by the time they fixed it i already paid for it so...yea. but thanks anyway. plus the jetpack should help getting around untill i get the real transportation powers so...hope to kick some tight wearing ass with you guys soon.

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• BartzillaBartzilla Member Posts: 23

I don't know what kind of discount stores are around you, but here in Buffalo our Big Lots have the collectors ed of Heroes, collectors ed. of Villains and the double pack with both regular ed . each one runs 10 bucks.

• LonelyOneLonelyOne Member Posts: 11

Sounds like a fun game, probably try it out myself.  What other game is this like anyway?

• AmarsirAmarsir Member UncommonPosts: 703

Getting the GvE edition is always worth it if you can find it for $15 or less. Forget having access to both sides, that's just a fringe benefit. At that price you're already worth it just for the included month. And you're getting the Pocket D teleporter, the jump jet, and some other goodies all for free.

LonelyOne, I haven't played every game out there so I can't necessarily point to anything, but IMHO it's pretty different from the mainstream. Here are a few things dissimilar to anything else:

[list]
    *One vs Many combat as a norm. Many games your'e expected to fight one at a time, or even gang up all on one enemy, as the normal course of business. Here, default spawn is 3 minion-level enemies for one hero, and that can easily double to 6 with the difficulty setting. This makes combat more active and fast.

*Fast travel available early. Flight alone puts it away from most games, but even with the most basic Super Speed running you change from 15 mph to 70 mph with one power - available at level 14. (Compare that to waiting forever for mounts that speed you up a little.

*Huge amount of costume creation available right from the beginning.

*Characters vary extremely. Effects vary extremely. This is something a tad harder to explain, and it takes longer to feel, but for me it's significant. Imagine a power that (via reuse) will keep an enemy still and incapacitated while you beat on them, from full health until dead. Most games would never do this, prefering an effect that wears off quickly after each hit. But CoH/CoV can do it because as I said it's a "many vs one" game. So you can get incredible controls on some characters. (Those characters tend not to be so good at damage though.)

Now take that concept of being willing to push the extremes, and design a whole game around it. You get intense diversity, because the characters that debuff will really debuff. The damage characters are really damaging. Etc etc. Other games are about difference of 2%. City is about differences of 30%, 50% - even 100%.

Now two caveats: One, this is a little more true about CoH (pre-WoW) than it is about CoV (post-WoW). But it's still true there. Heck, here's an example: you've seen pet classes, right? Most only have 1 pet though. Masterminds (villains) get 6 independantly-orderable pets to atttack for them. Plus some can summon other less-controllable aids. That IMHO is an example of being extreme.

The second caveat is that these extremes make PvP less balanced. You can probably figure out ofr yourself why.

*Easily shared and scaleable missions. Since most everything is instance-based, the difficulty can easily be changed and the same mission can be run with 1 or 8 people.

Of the top of my head those are the things that stand out in this game LonelyOne. If you know another game like that, you tell me. If you're interested in giving it a serious shot, shoot me a PM and I can give you a trial key.

p.s. apologies if the formatting on this sucks, this website loves to remove tags and line breaks,and I've edited like 5 times because of it.

Currently playing:
    DC Universe
    Planetside 2
    Magic Online
    Simunomics, the Massive Multiplayer Economic Simulation Game. Play for free.