Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

just bought this

drklunkdrklunk Member Posts: 84

While I was looking for a firewire at Best Buy I saw this for $30 in the game section, of course. I remembered playing in the beta and hating it because of how much lag there was. Only played for an hour when open beta started because I couldnt even start a quest. So I bought it, hoping things would have changed for the better and what not. To little surprise, it has. The only time I lag is when I first enter an area or when Im around a ton of people (at the stations). So far Im loving it. Just put the last upgrade on my sniper rife and have been 1 shotting almost everything (Im only level 9 at the moment lol).

Anyway, as much as I like the game, I find the online aspect a bet of a downer. The lower level community sucks. They dont talk, they dont group, they just solo everything. Which yeah, you can solo everything on normal mode so a group isnt a necessity. However, thats the whole purpose of online. I think its stupid for people to play online then not talk, group, or even trade. Im hoping the elite mode is MUCH better and people actually talk and stuff. Im also trying to find a guild hoping thatll help.

All-in-all, I like the game. The crummy low-level community wont keep me from playing it but itll certainly take away from the game. If I had to compare it to another game Id say its like Guild Wars... but WWAAYY better. I love the sci-fi theme and I also have more fun playing it than Tabula Rasa (didnt touch it since open beta). Its worth the $30.

Comments

• ViennanViennan Member Posts: 27

Yeah, they have fixed a lot of the problems since release - quite a few still remain but I assume they are getting there.

I haven't played much - the release bugs put me off, but (most of the) people at lower levels want to get to 50 as fast as possible, so they won't waste time grouping with people if they don't have to. From what I have read on the forums, most of the group content starts at 50 and on Elite mode grouping is required to beat certain content (such as Shulguth (wrong spelling ... he's the big squid-looking thing on the box art).

• drklunkdrklunk Member Posts: 84

yeah, i figured as much. the only reason i want to get to 50 is for elite mode. other than that im just takin my time. the weapon mods are certainly a cool aspect. im also happy you dont have to look for someone who can attach them. is there an auction house or something of the sort? when my sniper rifle becomes useless id like to sell it but the trade channel is useless because of the level of the weapon.

• The auction house is going to be relased in the 2.0 patch which I believe is due sometime in May.  Realistically, I'd look at a month or two before we have a fully functioning auction house. 

• mechrugalmechrugal Member Posts: 4

Many players wait patch 2.0 last chance in this game, its imposible this game dont offer stability in multiplayer and many skills are nerfed and others dont work, please LOOK HL FORUMS!!!, and DONT BUY THIS GAME

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

cool I'm prolly gona get this game now since I hear alot of the bugs have been squished. I love first person shooters and I loved guildwars so this sounds like its worth my money.

My blog: image

i play it in a 3rd person view because i like to see all the carnage going on around me. especially when i use my little grenade launcher and automatic pistol. ssoo cool looking lol. also the UI makes the first person view seem a bit cluttered.

one more thing that i dont like that much is how much of a benefit subscribing is lol. originally it was totally free but now its got an optional $10 monthly fee. which isnt BAD just not cool. id like it more if non-subscribers could get the map/level and monster updates but maybe not the weapons and armor. something like that would be fair to me. whatever, im still playing it and love it lol

• Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229

I have to say, I was having problems w/ this game lately, but after defraging, and overclocking my ram I havent ran into any problems.  I'd just recommend using a real defrag program after patching HGL.  Use Diskeeper or something the windows one doesn't do anything. 

thanks dude, ill look into that. the new patch is buggy as crap. hope they release 2.0 soon, this is just retarded.

what did you use/how did you overclock your ram?