Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember Avalon?...By the hour!

ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446

Hi

I remember whe i first got a computer i had AOL and there was a text based RPG called Avalon and unlike MMO'S today i Believe i paid by the hour..glad that  died....curious if anyone else played it?

Comments

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

I played Gemstone III on AOL in 1995 on the per-hour rate. Most expensive game I've ever played :)

• ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446

I don't remember the price but i know an all day session was out..lol

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I, too, remember Avalon....We have come a long way. IM glad that the Per hour rate never caught on as online gaming progressed

Torrential

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

The Shadow of Yserbius was my expensive game.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I have very fond memories of Avalon. I remember when it was a dial up 'BBS' style mud the fees where small compared to my phone bills. Cracking game.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Ah yes.....the outrageous phone bills.  Me and my 300 Baud modem.  What the hell is a "baud" anyway.....

~Hairysun~

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

I used to pay by the hour just to access Compuserve chat rooms.  This was on top of call charges.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

I still pay by the hour...wait..what are we talking about again??  Oh yeah an old rpg browser game, i knew that.

Anyways the game is still around... AVALON

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Hairysun

Ah yes.....the outrageous phone bills.  Me and my 300 Baud modem.  What the hell is a "baud" anyway.....

~Hairysun~

Baudot,

• renierrenier Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by ttomm46

Hi
    I remember whe i first got a computer i had AOL and there was a text based RPG called Avalon and unlike MMO'S today i Believe i paid by the hour..glad that  died....curious if anyone else played it?

I played MageStorm from Mythic Entertainment through AOL... those were good times

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Does anyone remember Kingdom of Drakkar on the MPGnet? I played that for 2 (?) years. It charged $2 per hour (considered CHEAP compared to GENIE or Compuserve) and I used a telnet connection to get to the game.

• darkgamerxdarkgamerx Member Posts: 311

How much did Avalon cost per hour?

• BelgyBelgy Member Posts: 1

Hiya!

Avalon is no long pay by the hour. It's now free to play through your city, guild, or divine patron! :) It has many new things to offer and recently had over a thousand bugs fixed, as well as new additions added in-game and out, including their forum-like website: meetplace.net (based off of the location every newbie starts out in when first entering the game).

If anyone was interested in playing but the pay for play didn't suit them, it is now available to play free. So come be my apprentice, I neeed new Sorcerers!

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

My most expensive games were the Sierra single player games. Space Quest, Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry etc:

They had 1-900 numbers to call if you got stuck with quests.

I got stuck very often :)

Edit. Just noticed that this was a serious necro :)

Thread seems to be over 6 years old haha.

• ErgloadErgload Member UncommonPosts: 433

Y'know I never got into Avalon. I got into MUDs when I was like 12yo, no way I could have paid by-the-hour back then. My first MUD was monthly sub-based, of course I couldn't pay for a monthly sub so I just kept making new chars and telling friends who I was.

Then a friend from that MUD introduced me to Achaea in about 2001, and I've been playing that ever since.

Interestingly enough, the creator of Achaea (Matt Mihaly) was a former wizard on Avalon and shared an apartment with Yehuda (creator of Avalon). Matt licensed Avalon's engine from Yehuda but found it so horribly buggy, and filled with backdoors, that he ended up just creating a codebase from scratch, and Achaea was born.

edit: also just noticed this thread was necro'd by a 2-post account Avalon rep. how shameless :P

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

How on earth does someone find a thread that is six years old???

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    i also used to play some MUDS thru Quantum -Link on my Comm 64 in the early 80s , but fortunatley someone showed me some creative ways to avoid any phone charges :)
This discussion has been closed.